The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Samplitude NOT coming to MAC
Old 23rd October 2013
Samplitude NOT coming to MAC

After a long period of supposed MAC development and the team ignoring the core PC users, this was released on the Samplitude forums:

Quote:
Dear Samplitude Users,

Due to our planned product strategy and changes in the market environment, we have decided to discontinue the development of the Samplitude Mac version.

We are aware that this decision will certainly inconvenience our customers who have been anxiously awaiting the Mac version and for this we apologize. Your patience and understanding with regard to this new strategic direction is greatly appreciated.

We will of course continue to offer the best possible support with new functions and products while we focus on our core specialization in developing audio production software for the PC platform. This means that we will be dedicating our efforts mainly to the development of Samplitude Pro X2, Sequoia Broadcast and other interesting new applications.

We hope that our efforts in delivering top-quality products will lead to the continued satisfaction and loyalty of our customer base.

We thank you again for your patience and understanding.

With best regards,

Your MAGIX Pro Audio Product Management Team

I guess they decided to rely on their current user base rather than try to compete with the significantly cheaper Apple software.
Old 23rd October 2013
haha awesome.
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjo361 View Post
haha awesome.
Not.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I figured that might happen since it has been a few years since they announced development. Talk about a lot of time and money they must have lost. Shame.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Any reasons announced ?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

This is Bad news for Mac users, but... Good news for PC users !

Since I feel Magix will be able to focus on developing the next version of Samplitude Pro X for PC, faster, and offer more features, and enhancements.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

No more features. They need to simplify samp in the worst way. I was a user from 5.1 to pro x. No longer a user. There are some things that samp does well but there are many things that r simple in other daws that r too complex in samp. VI implementation works like an afterthought. I don't think it would have been enough of a success on Mac vs logic, etc to justify the costs. The statement says it all in relation to the market. Plus samp is one of the more expensive native daws around.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Magix shoots themselves in the foot, fatally.......
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac
With the numbing of the Apple environment I can understand. It would be costly to support both OS.
Great software.
Old 24th October 2013
Sam/Sequoia certainly do much more that most other DAWs, one reason for the high price. Pro X certainly needs quite a bit of refinement to make all these features more user friendly and bug free. As for why they stopped development, I would suggest it is because the Apple market is flooded with inexpensive music production tools and more than ever aimed at tablet development, that they figured a serious audio production DAW would not have a foothold. That and the crippling complaints they must have received from unsatisfied ProX users begging for bug fixes must have scared them back to appeasing their core user base.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
This is Bad news for Mac users, but... Good news for PC users !
Bad news for everybody !

For me, this announcement says they are not in a healthy state...
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

We are in a perfect state. After spending almost 4 years porting it and still not getting the results we wanted, we pulled the plug. Especially since the last few years have shown big growth in the windows sector. There is a lot to it of course, but the main thing is we are going to be able to finally get back on track with the windows development. We are not going anywhere but forward. :-)
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Very disappointed. I doubt that I'll upgrade my Pro X Suite once a new version comes out. I was looking forward to an OS X version.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
If it works great on Windows, be happy. If you're like me, you spend 95% of the time in your DAW and 5% of the time in the OS. Windows works fine, and the hardware for Windows is infinitely more flexible and affordable.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDolbear View Post
We are in a perfect state. After spending almost 4 years porting it and still not getting the results we wanted, we pulled the plug. Especially since the last few years have shown big growth in the windows sector. There is a lot to it of course, but the main thing is we are going to be able to finally get back on track with the windows development. We are not going anywhere but forward. :-)
Sorry, my mistake !

I didn't read " We don't need Mac users. It's crisis everywhere but the Windows sector is growing day after day... " through your announcement. Thanks for clarifying !
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
If it works great on Windows, be happy. If you're like me, you spend 95% of the time in your DAW and 5% of the time in the OS. Windows works fine, and the hardware for Windows is infinitely more flexible and affordable.
No Mac snob here. I just have a Metric Halo interface (mac only) and some Mac only softwares that I like. I'm a little bit disappointed by Logic X and it's time to switch to another DAW. I was waiting for Samplitude. That's all...
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Well I think this was a very smart move. wow. I'm impressed.
Since the announcement of Magix's plan to go Apple too, I was wondering all along why and what for when Apple is clearly not heading in the Pro Audio direction.
I was a die hard Apple supporter but once I discovered Sequoia 4 years ago, I dumped OSX and have never looked back. In fact, my recording system has never been better.

I do however, use Apple products and love my iphone 4. Apple rocks in the mobile/online world. Its got that tied up well.

IMO, Apple is heading into a very cool market but it isn't Pro Audio from what I'm seeing. PC however, you can streamline the software down to almost nothing. I hope it doesn't change. If that happens, I would see an open source taking hold and that would be further away from apple.

I'm sorry for all you Mac users that were waiting for this, its a big blow for you indeed, you are missing out on one of the most proficient DAW platforms . But this software is so awesome, I would be considering a new PC and Samplitude at some point.

Magix, smart move! Stay with what's proven and works. 100% energy into one OS rather 50 50.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
No Mac snob here. I just have a Metric Halo interface (mac only) and some Mac only softwares that I like. I'm a little bit disappointed by Logic X and it's time to switch to another DAW. I was waiting for Samplitude. That's all...
I know there are a lot of Sam users who would like to use a MAC and quite a few current MAC users interested in Sam. It really is unfortunate for those individuals. I am glad, though, they are putting their efforts now into refining the product.

Since they have done so much work already, maybe they will revisit the issue once they have stabilized the current version and the port will not take so long. Here's to hopin'.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I feel very conflicted about this. On the one hand, I'm a die-hard Samplitude user who wants the program to be at its best. I can certainly understand frustration with where Apple is going, and I'm pretty disappointed by Apple's recent consumer-centric focus. It makes sense to me that developers of a serious audio workstation would prefer to avoid Mac OS, especially with all of the problems involved in porting old Windows code.

On the other hand, I've always preferred Mac OS to Windows. It's mostly an issue of familiarity for me - I've spent more time on Mac OS, and I've never really learned the ins and outs of Windows to the same extent. I run Samplitude on a Bootcamped Mac, and it's the only program I run under Windows. I previously ran it on a PC that had no other programs installed. I'm not an Apple fanboy (inasmuch as I don't think Mac OS is a superior operating system, it's just one that I know better), but I was really looking forward to ditching Windows entirely and running Samplitude on the Mac.

This leaves me in a bit of a conundrum. I do all of my acoustic music recording, editing, and production on Samplitude on Windows, but I'm also a composer, and I most of my composition and electronic music production happens on the Mac. The tools I use for this (Max/MSP, SuperCollider, OpenMusic, and Sibelius) exist for Windows, but most of them are better supported on the Mac. I have Logic 8 for when I need a DAW on the Mac side. I'm happily running 10.6.8 on the Mac side, and I've felt no need to upgrade. I recently learned that the new versions of SuperCollider are dropping support for 10.6, and that's enough of a reason for me to upgrade the OS. The problem is that Logic 8 won't run under Mavericks, and since cartoon drummers aren't my bag, I was going to drop Logic entirely and consolidate entirely on the Mac using Samplitude. Back to the drawing board.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
Bad news for everybody !

For me, this announcement says they are not in a healthy state...
This...
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
This...
The health of Magix as a company worries me as well. I've been using Samplitude since 2005 and I think it's far and away the best DAW I've ever tried. No one else has the power of object editing. (The only other DAW that I'd really be at all interested in is Pyramix, and that would mostly be for the DSD support.) I really hope that Samplitude is still going to be around in the future!
Old 25th October 2013
Motown legend

The financial health of all audio developers should worry us all. It's an unfortunate fact that windows is a far more stable target for developers than the mac's ever churning OSX has been lately.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Well the good news is if they fall on hard times, Roland can come in, buy the company, and save them...
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well if you've been 'porting it', you're never going to get the results you want.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Connelly View Post
Well the good news is if they fall on hard times, Roland can come in, buy the company, and save them...
I highly doubt that Roland has any interest in buying Magix. (Was this a reference to Yamaha's buying Steinberg?)
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I really don't understand the negative comments about this decision. Windows is clearly a growing market for DAWs and Mac not so much. Why should Magix continue to invest considerable resources developing for a market that is basically static and already dominated by other players? I think it's a good decision.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimYoung View Post
I really don't understand the negative comments about this decision. Windows is clearly a growing market for DAWs and Mac not so much. Why should Magix continue to invest considerable resources developing for a market that is basically static and already dominated by other players? I think it's a good decision.
You speak like a windows user only interested by using windows...
Fine... but you're not alone.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hey, if they tried for 4 years and got nowhere where they wanted Samp for Mac to be, I think it's a sane decision. And indeed, the way Apple seems to be heading is everywhere except pro audio world. Windows will embrace you.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

There are many types of professional software made for osx and in use by professionals daily in audio, post, video, gaming, etc.

The fact that apple has an extremely profitable consumer division does not affect that fact. I'm sure that's not the reason magix pulled out because apple was already super profitable in the consumer area when they started the samp port. Not to mention magix makes more consumer software products than any company around.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear
Darn, I was looking forward to try out Samplitude on Mac. well well, maybe it´s just weird anyways.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search