The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Samplitude NOT coming to MAC
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Wow.

I have been a Samp user since 8 and am still on 11. I'm sorry that they don't have the resources to break into the mac world, but its probably makes financial sense.

Most people who use Samp would build a PC specifically for it, in fact the PC will cost less than the software.

I am secretly glad that the Apple seems to have been headed in a more consumer direction and the apple snobbery seems to have disappeared.

Hopefully samp can continue to make improvements in usability. I really want improvements to the take composer and multi-lane tracking/comping within a track. Its still too complicated to make Samplitude feel like a good compositional tool. Really steep learning curve, but great quality everywhere else.
Old 26th October 2013
Motown legend

Provided I avoid 32 bit plug-ins, 64 bit 12 has been far more stable for my mastering work.
Old 26th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Provided I avoid 32 bit plug-ins, 64 bit 12 has been far more stable for my mastering work.
definitely the same for me as well Bob.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Well yeah exactly. Especially now that they announced the new Mac Pro...
... which is perhaps the best example of a form over function product from Apple yet - and that says a LOT, doesn't it. The new Mac Pro is squarely aimed at the consumer market (the portion of it that likes buying branded and expensive stuff it really doesn't need) and it was clearly designed with living rooms and bedrooms in mind - and not studios or offices. It's a total clown of a product.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
... which is perhaps the best example of a form over function product from Apple yet - and that says a LOT, doesn't it. The new Mac Pro is squarely aimed at the consumer market (the portion of it that likes buying branded and expensive stuff it really doesn't need) and it was clearly designed with living rooms and bedrooms in mind - and not studios or offices. It's a total clown of a product.
lol this so funny I can't stop
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
What about the MacBook Wheel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Sometimes it is best to stay with your strengths and continue to pursue what you do best. Likely Magix has made a wise, even if unpopular, decision.

Samplitude on Windows has been the leader for audio recording/mixing/mastering/cd burning from a features and stability standpoint for 2 decades.

I remember when Pro Tools 10 came out, they advertized 10 New features: of which Samplitude had already had 7 of them for an average of 10 years. (I've been a user since 5.3.)

However, the recent Sonar X3 has surpassed Samplitude in an array of features (not all, by any means), and PT11 is a big step forward for them.
I can imagine that it would be tough to continue to leapfrog Sonar on the Windows platform and PT on the Mac platform, while continuing to solve bugs.

As Tim has mentioned elsewhere, Windows 8 is working great with Samplitude. He sees no advantage of Mac. Meanwhile, many of us are working well and stable on Win7. I have a prior version of Samplitude loaded on the Windows partition on my Macbook Pro for remote usage, but my custom built tower PC is twice as powerful and less than half the cost of my MBP.

With ASIO as mature as it is and RME drivers so established as effective, 64-bit Windows seems every bit as viable (and still far less expensive as a platform) as MacOS for audio Production.

Other than Mac-only fanboys with a bias against Windows -- what really is lost here?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol this so funny I can't stop
Because it's true?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster View Post
However, the recent Sonar X3 has surpassed Samplitude in an array of features (not all, by any means), and PT11 is a big step forward for them.
I can imagine that it would be tough to continue to leapfrog Sonar on the Windows platform and PT on the Mac platform, while continuing to solve bugs.
Cubase / Nuendo are traditionally more direct competitors to Samplitude / Sequoia. But I don't think Samplitude competes with the other DAWs in terms of who has the longer feature list - at the high end of the market it's more of a workflow and stability thing that's the differentiator.

Sonar seems more focused on bundling more instruments, effects and devices. Samplitude is more focused on work flow enhancements and it's audio editing capabilities. Samplitude for example is not as strong on the midi side as Cubase and Logic IMHO because it's not really a writing tool - it's strengths are in the audio side.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Because it's true?
No. The Mac Pro is a workstation class computer with high end workstation class chips. It is not a consumer product. Nobody buys a $4,000 computer to read email in the living room.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

It's still very much form over function, which is the point Synth Buddha illustrated. I personally dislike the concept and think it's stupid, no internal expansion (hard drives, changing graphics cards, adding more RAM, but especially adding hard drives - relying on a ton of external cables and power supplies is STUPID) is making me facepalm so hard it's not even funny. And just watch how much Apple starts to charge for repairs once things start to break. That's bull****.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Plan A is to get something like a Scan music computer running Windows 7. A friend bought a PC laptop with 7, loaded in his version of Sequioa and it worked, trouble is this is the luck of the draw, I may not be so lucky. I also have VSTi's a few hundred quids worth, that I will have to buy again, simply because they are XP32 bit versions. If I get a PC or Mac, I'm going to have to do that anyway, this has always been the problem and achillies heel of using computers, the OS is the dog, and the software is the tail, but whose leading who these days.....? As far as I'm concerned anything that I do on the internet will be done using a Mac, it's just too much of pain in the arse using a PC, but these days software authorisation relies on the internet.....so.....that's why I thought about using a Mac for everything, it would be simpler.

WB.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's still very much form over function, which is the point Synth Buddha illustrated. I personally dislike the concept and think it's stupid, no internal expansion (hard drives, changing graphics cards, adding more RAM, but especially adding hard drives - relying on a ton of external cables and power supplies is STUPID) is making me facepalm so hard it's not even funny. And just watch how much Apple starts to charge for repairs once things start to break. That's bull****.
His point was that it is aimed at consumers. Fine, it won't suit everyone's needs, but to call it a "clown" of a product when there's lots of professionals who will find it useful for their own needs is very comical indeed.

A workstation class computer is a machine used for specific technical applications and is differentiated by its high performance through the use of workstation grade components, in contrast to the cheaper consumer level components found in consumer PCs. Workstations are also usually software vendor certified for professional use by the likes of Autodesk, Avid and Apple etc. The Mac Pro will meet all of this criteria. As for expansion the idea is to use thunderbolt which has enough bandwidth for most needs.

It's not really designed for enthusiasts who want to spend all day tinkering with their hardware and swapping out parts. It's designed for professionals who want something that works right out of the box and has reliable premium components.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

It's as if you didn't read what I wrote. Relying on EXTERNAL connection for hard drive expansion is bull****. More cables and wallwarts, unless you shell out even more cash for expensive TB enclosures. Phuck that ****.

It's totally not a problem to build a PC system that will rival or even surpass MP performance at a decently lower price. And without cheaping out on component quality. Ask ADK and other PC DAW builders. And with such computers adding a few more HDDs is a lot cheaper and easier than shelling out a fortune for overpriced-without-merit TB stuff.
Old 27th October 2013
Motown legend

Most of the pros I know do consider it a clown product. They've been waiting for a more up-to-date mac pro to move their cards into for several years and now Apple is forcing an expansion chassis on them. Most of us have already been there a decade ago and are not eager to return. I actually suspect it's going to sell a ton of mac minis because they're cheap, powerful and disposable! One mini playing the picture locked to another mini handling Pro Tools HDX will quite probably walk all over the new mac pro!

That said, I've heard of post facilities completely banishing macs even from their offices behind the arrogance Apple demonstrated with final cut X. Pro video folks came from PCs to mac but were forced back onto PCs when Apple failed to deliver state of the art processing on the G5. They returned to Apple due to the power of Intel chips and the affordability of Final Cut which allowed doing real collaborative work at home. Most aren't fan-boys of anything other than a computer powerful enough to allow getting the weekend off! For many $10,000.00 HP workstations are looking mighty attractive as their facility's next purchase.
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Nobody buys a $4,000 computer to read email in the living room.
The folks who buy vintage guitars for exorbitant prices, only to stick them in glass cases sure will.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's as if you didn't read what I wrote. Relying on EXTERNAL connection for hard drive expansion is bull****. More cables and wallwarts, unless you shell out even more cash for expensive TB enclosures. Phuck that ****.

It's totally not a problem to build a PC system that will rival or even surpass MP performance at a decently lower price. And without cheaping out on component quality. Ask ADK and other PC DAW builders. And with such computers adding a few more HDDs is a lot cheaper and easier than shelling out a fortune for overpriced-without-merit TB stuff.
No it's as if you didn't read what I wrote. I have to repeat myself to make it clear for you. I said and repeat again the Mac Pro "won't suit everyone's needs". Now getting pissed off and using curse words because some vendor makes a computer that doesn't meet your personal requirements is childish. There are plenty of vendors out there building custom made to order music PCs. There is plenty of choice out there on the market. It's not the end of the world.

As for expansion not everyone takes issue with external storage. Some even recommend external drives for storage of audio and library sample content.
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
This is Bad news for Mac users, but... Good news for PC users !

Since I feel Magix will be able to focus on developing the next version of Samplitude Pro X for PC, faster, and offer more features, and enhancements.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Wrong!!! u will get the same Samlitude as always.
I bet the next upcoming version come in toons of crashes and bugs but now since they killed Mac version who or what they will blame for toons of problems of Samplitude for PC version? Aliens, Russians......
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

its great when software devs realize supporting TWO platforms is a cash and brain drain.

Besides every mac user out there uses logic and its so powerful and never crashes and always has stable updates and it even makes espresso and orders pizza.
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
No Mac snob here. I just have a Metric Halo interface (mac only) and some Mac only softwares that I like. I'm a little bit disappointed by Logic X and it's time to switch to another DAW. I was waiting for Samplitude. That's all...
I am in the same vessele as u.

Maby to take a look at Studio One? Anybody has expiriense with it?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly7 View Post
I am in the same vessele as u.

Maby to take a look at Studio One? Anybody has expiriense with it?
Trying Reaper at the moment.

I'm a little bit impressed by its power, so far...

It needs some time to customize it, though.
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyas View Post
I feel very conflicted about this. On the one hand, I'm a die-hard Samplitude user who wants the program to be at its best. I can certainly understand frustration with where Apple is going, and I'm pretty disappointed by Apple's recent consumer-centric focus. It makes sense to me that developers of a serious audio workstation would prefer to avoid Mac OS, especially with all of the problems involved in porting old Windows code.

On the other hand, I've always preferred Mac OS to Windows. It's mostly an issue of familiarity for me - I've spent more time on Mac OS, and I've never really learned the ins and outs of Windows to the same extent. I run Samplitude on a Bootcamped Mac, and it's the only program I run under Windows. I previously ran it on a PC that had no other programs installed. I'm not an Apple fanboy (inasmuch as I don't think Mac OS is a superior operating system, it's just one that I know better), but I was really looking forward to ditching Windows entirely and running Samplitude on the Mac.

This leaves me in a bit of a conundrum. I do all of my acoustic music recording, editing, and production on Samplitude on Windows, but I'm also a composer, and I most of my composition and electronic music production happens on the Mac. The tools I use for this (Max/MSP, SuperCollider, OpenMusic, and Sibelius) exist for Windows, but most of them are better supported on the Mac. I have Logic 8 for when I need a DAW on the Mac side. I'm happily running 10.6.8 on the Mac side, and I've felt no need to upgrade. I recently learned that the new versions of SuperCollider are dropping support for 10.6, and that's enough of a reason for me to upgrade the OS. The problem is that Logic 8 won't run under Mavericks, and since cartoon drummers aren't my bag, I was going to drop Logic entirely and consolidate entirely on the Mac using Samplitude. Back to the drawing board.
Well, as i remember Magix seid they are doing a nativ Mac version, not a port. I do not need a port on Mac, because it will bring a toon of crupp out Windows.
Pleople use Macs because they are Macs, not a Windows port.

P.s. And if it is true that Magix sicretly was doing port but not nativ Mac version, now i see the real reason why they failed with Samplitude for Mac. They where so enormously greedy with money that they decided to save fwe bucks on making port rather then to make a native version but they ended up complitely ruin the entire projekt and putting all money on wind, because the port brough so many bugs, technical issues and other problems from Windows that it would take to rewrite the program from ground up in order to fix thouse problems. If they were doing a native Mac version right from the begging they would not fail.
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Hey, if they tried for 4 years and got nowhere where they wanted Samp for Mac to be, I think it's a sane decision. And indeed, the way Apple seems to be heading is everywhere except pro audio world. Windows will embrace you.
No
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
It's already available for PC, ever heard of Hackintoshes.
it is not legal, and hacking Apple os and instaling it on PC u are braking Apple EULA, so u are basicly a criminal who uses a stolen software. i do not think that any respected musician will do that or any respected recording studio will offer Hackintosh.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Nut

Actually, you're very wrong

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
officially w/ support. In the usa hacks are illegal.
He lives not in USA, so maby in his country it is alowed to use stolen software or even to use stollen cellphones and other goods but will a decent or respected person do that? Ofcause no.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Well, OSX Mavericks is free to download and use for anyone. No need to "steal" it. Get your facts straight and then talk.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly7 View Post
No
Yes.
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Well, OSX Mavericks is free to download and use for anyone. No need to "steal" it. Get your facts straight and then talk.
It is free for Macintosh, not for a criminal in the basement who wants to instal it on his PC...
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

It is not a criminal act - you just don't get support from Apple (which is not that big a deal anyways - if you know how to Hackintosh, you generally don't need support).
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search