The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Still no new displays from Apple...
Old 23rd October 2013
Still no new displays from Apple...

... And if there was one it would be too expensive anyway.

What's a good large desktop screen I can run from my MBAir thunderbolt. (Or with adapter etc)

Retina like quality, ball park
$1,000 (Or lower)

Ideas?

27" I suppose.... ?

Thanks in advance...
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I wonder how well a Samsung LED flat screen would work? 1080p, fast refresh rate, about an inch thick.
Old 23rd October 2013
Thanks.

I just realised (doh!) it doesn't have to look flashy or be super thin. I just want screen resolution to lower eyestrain

Yes - a non Apple product. I know it sounds crazy!!!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Thanks.

I just realised (doh!) it doesn't have to look flashy or be super thin. I just want screen resolution to lower eyestrain
I've been really impressed with the Samsung LEDs. Really sharp good looking picture and movement. Over the last year we replaced all of our TVs with those including one used as a monitor. They make a 26 or a 28" I think. Really crisp picture. Anyway, just an idea, and you'd come in under budget.

Would love to use Apple, but their pricing kind of gets in the way.
Old 23rd October 2013
Thanks, I was feeling samsung....

Will investigate.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

Monoprice display...

I have had mixed results with Samsungs, and I've gone through a lot of them where I work. But as always, YMMV.

I haven't personally used it, but Monoprice has a really nice 27 with good specs. It falls well under your budget also:

27" IPS-Glass Panel Pro LED Monitor WQHD 2560x1440- 440cd/m2 - HDMI® 1.4 / DVI / VGA / DisplayPort 1.2 w/Built in Speakers - Monoprice.com

And order a DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) cable to interface with your MacBook:

10FT 32AWG Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable - White - Monoprice.com
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

The Monoprice 1440p monitors are...ok for the money. You can do better with just a bit more cash unfortuately (they're not true IPS tech, they use the same panels as other vendors and only hit sRGB compatibility with the internal circuitry, the color calibration is WAY off using any of my 3 calibration tools...which may not matter to you as much as me...) Fwiw there is a review on anandtech on their newest offering, and the older one was far far worse.

Samsung's got monitor support on par with Asus in my experience (Asus actually sent me a broken monitor back WITH ADDED FINGERPRINTS and no work done, then DID IT AGAIN by sending the busted unit back to me with added scratches!) Samsung ran me through the hoops on replacing a monitor I spent $1200 on, then discontinued it and had no ability to offer any options when it died a second time (30" lcd with issues in the CCFL backlighting...cracking and dying. Not something to worry about as much in the LED backlit era).

EIZO & NEC are bar none the best support & monitors I have owned, but also way too expensive for audio users and have features you simply don't need so...

I would suggest a Dell or HP 27" 1440p monitor. The cheaper of Dell's offerings is only ~$50USD more than monoprice's and comes with higher accuracy in color, better uniformity in the display, looks better etc...

OR if you want to go to the cheap end of the market like the monoprices you might consider this: AnandTech | Nixeus NX-VUE27D : A 27" $450 WQHD (2560x1440) IPS LED DP-Only Monitor
Old 24th October 2013
Cool stuff! Thanks. Will see what I come up with her in the UK based on all your suggestions.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac

forget about a tv screen. whatever size you get the resoslution at 1080p is not enough to give you as much desktop space as a apple thunderbolt display or similar. therefor you need a newer laptop with 4k support and something like a samsung 4k uhd display which is around $4000,-.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Nut

Other 4K options

You could try one of these: Asus PQ321Q or one of these: Sharp pn-k321

But your $1k figure in a larger screen near 'retina' (assuming you mean 300DPI - it's really just a nonsense marketing term that means whatever Apple decide at that particular moment) is many years off. Even the older 30" jobs still retail for over $1200 and have done for years.

Get a decent 27" 2560x1440 - I got the Dell for around $700 after rebates - and you should be well satisfied.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

There are several manufacturers (AOC and Hazro spring to mind) that launched 27" IPS screens for around the £400 mark. These are the same screens as in the 27" iMac and I have a pal who's a graphic designer who swears by them.

There are also a few super wide 2560x1080 screens appearing now for about the same money. Whilst they are not IPS screens, they offer a lot of screen real estate without having to worry about dual outputs or bezel blindness.

Old 24th October 2013
Administrator

I've been keeping an eye on Amazon myself lately.
For something in a 2,560x1,440 display, the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM AH ips seems good at £399.
If like myself, you don't need/want that resolution there's the LG 27EA33V 27 inch for £179 that are 1920x1080 res.

Graham

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 24th October 2013 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Updated!
Old 24th October 2013
Brb
Gear Addict

Why can't apple make them razor thin like the new iMacs and add USB 3?
but displays aren't gonna make your music sound better lol
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Cool stuff! Thanks. Will see what I come up with her in the UK based on all your suggestions.
If you are just in to get as much screen space as possible (although I hear the colours aren't too bad) then there is a company called SEIK doing 4K 39" screens but you can't get them in the UK without importing.

I'm using a 29" dell 2560x1080 which I love, great stands on the DELLs as well, the 27" model with the 2560x1440 is great as well (maybe better for many people but I like the superwide aspect ratio)
Old 24th October 2013
Administrator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb View Post
...but displays aren't gonna make your music sound better lol
Ah shoot...really. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Ah shoot...really. Can anyone confirm this?
Ive got some stems that I will a/b with different monitors set at different resolutions. I will try monitoring with the lights on and off as well.......
Old 25th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda View Post
Ive got some stems that I will a/b with different monitors set at different resolutions. I will try monitoring with the lights on and off as well.......
...love it!
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Jules this is what I bought for my current 2012 Quad core i7 Mac Mini rig.
Hewlett Packard Pavilion 25 BW IPS LED panel. You can get them in 27in

If you want Retina and Mac type picture quality then you want some kind of IPS panel. These Pavilion Monitors really come in at a Bargain and are IPS which is the best type of LED monitor available these days. Outside of dropping on an Apple Retina a or 4k panel.

I did my research before buying this monitor and the picture is stellar. It actually got better ratings than the Dell Ultra sharp. In fact I see few if any negatives except its not VESA mountable. Hewlett Packard also has an even higher line you could look into but for the money I feel these Pavilion displays are great.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

You can get this one from HP. It is exactly the same screen as in the Apple Thunderbolt display, only minus the glossy glass.

I have the 24" version, and compared to the Apple version, and they are exactly the same screen. I have also read that they are both the same screen made by LG.

HP ZR2740w 27" LED-Backlit IPS Monitor XW476A8#ABA B&H
Old 25th October 2013
Not sure if you want one now, and if it's the display you would want to hold on to for a while.

The other option is to hold until the 4k screens come down in price. That's where you start getting into "retina" quality (albeit not the same density, just higher than typical desktop displays)

Consumer 4k is 3840x2160. With HDMI 1.4, you only get 30fps and you get some lag (unless you dedicate two video cards to the display, and it's the kind that can support it), so it's not worth it for the primary display right now. However, as a secondary pile of pixels, it's acceptable. HDMI 2 will enable the higher resolution with 60hz framerates. I'm not sure what would be required to run any of these on Thunderbolt.

The least expensive actual 4k computer displays (not tvs) right now are still around $3-$4,000, but that's down from $20,0000-$40,000 in 2012.
Amazon.com: ASUS PQ321Q 31.5-Inch 4K Monitor: Computers & Accessories
Give it a year and you'll get serious pixels for a prosumer price, probably in the $1000-$1500 range like the high end 30" displays go for today.

The 15" Retina MBP is around 220ppi
The 31.5" 4k Asus display is around 140ppi
A 24" 4k would be 183ppi

Pete
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post

The other option is to hold until the 4k screens come down in price. That's where you start getting into "retina" quality (albeit not the same density, just higher than typical desktop displays)

Hi Pete, I see you have a SEIK 4K in your sig, what do you think of it? Thinking of importing a 39" one into the UK but as it's not something I can try out and ship back want to get some opinion, it's just as a computer monitor, not really to play games with so don't care about the 30fps
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmer View Post
Hi Pete, I see you have a SEIK 4K in your sig, what do you think of it? Thinking of importing a 39" one into the UK but as it's not something I can try out and ship back want to get some opinion, it's just as a computer monitor, not really to play games with so don't care about the 30fps
I'm really picky about display quality, so understand that I may be pickier than other people here

Pros:
  • Tons of pixels. Here's an example of my desktop with the 4k on the left and the Dell 30 on the right, with letterboxing only in the screenshot:

(that's an image I posted to twitter, so it's fairly small, but it gives you an idea of what you can fit on it. When I get back later tonight, I'll put Cubase up on it so you can see)
  • Because of the physical size, it's large enough for me to run at 100% DPI without eye strain. That said, it is my secondary (on the left) display, and not my primary display.
  • It's dirt cheap for a computer display with that many pixels
  • It's really about the screen space and the ability to fit a TON of stuff on it.
  • I actually like the 39" size. It's desktop dominating, but also immersive. If you really want to get into what you're working on, it's great for that. I'm very ADDish and get distracted by movement around or behind the display. Having one that blocks all that is surprisingly helpful.

Cons:
  • HDMI-only. No displayport or other useful high res connections. It has VGA, and the usual TV connections, but those are useless for this purpose.
  • 30hz screen update. Not really an issue for most of the work I do. You notice it when you resize windows or do something with animation. You get used to it if you want the pixels.
  • HDMI lag. There's a slight lag between what you see on the screen and your mouse movement. If you have an external audio card (which most of us here do), the audio will be slightly out of sync with it. If you use HDMI audio (which is useless for music creation) it will be in sync. I believe HDMI 2.0 will reduce this lag. TBD. Of all the potential issues, this is the one that bothers me the most.
  • Poor color gamut. Many LED-lit displays have this issue, but you'll see it more on the cheap ones. For that reason, my big TV in the tv room is a plasma, and my primary display is a space-heating Dell 30 with CCFL backlight. Both of them show detail even in the deep blacks.
  • Not a real monitor; it's a TV. So, for example, it doesn't sleep and wake with your PC. Instead, after the PC sleeps the displays, the SEIKI will show "no signal" for a bit and then turn off. When I wake up the PC, it has to be manually turned on with the remote control. In a multi-display system, this is a pain because when the SEIKI is off, the video cards think it has been disconnected and therefore move everything back to the primary display.
  • You need a 4k capable video card. For my desktop, I got a GTX770. Some new/recent laptops may support 4k. I know the new Surface Pro 2 does, but I haven't tested it.

So, in short, you have to really want the pixels and not be into something that requires great color matching. This is not the display to use for photography work, video editing, or similar.

More relevant to what we do: if you're listening to a sound and looking at the waveform, the display will lag a little behind your audio. This could be a deal killer for many people here.

What do I use mine for? I have a window on it that's a remote desktop to my work PC, so I'm connected to corp without having to look at a laptop screen. I keep twitter up on it since I use it a lot. It's the screen where I have all the secondary stuff throughout the day. It's also a screen that I use for my code editors (Visual Studio, etc.) as I can see a lot there and lag is not a real issue. It's also where I listen to YouTube videos while working (primarily music, as talk gets a bit annoying when the lip is out of sync with the sound).

Finally, it's the screen I use for taking screen shots of Windows 8.1 apps because I have the Windows Store side of Windows 8.1 set up to use high DPI settings on that display, meaning the images will scale much more nicely when used in print, online, etc.

Pete
Old 26th October 2013
Jules, have a look at Iiyama - not a hugely well-known brand, but the highest quality stuff:

iiyama
Old 31st October 2013
Thanks guys. All good info.

I am going to study this and will make a decision.

Tech pundits think apple might come out with a new display to go with the power mac so might wait until Devember. But doubt I would want to pay it.
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Maniac

+1 Jules.. Pretty sure the reason they are waiting to release the screen in Dec. is to coincide with the Mac Pro and present a 'Super Apple' workstation... the best of the best. But yeah, $1,000 is kind of a lot for just a screen... but I gotta say, I love Apple screens and looking at this 27 inch iMac screen in front of me and then comparing it to my Asus display... I'd totally go with the Mac screen...
Old 31st October 2013
If you have enough space and full HD resolution is enough you may also consider a TV. You can get a TB to HDMI adapter.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

This is gonna be my 3rd AOC monitor.
Amazon.com: AOC 29-inch IPS Q2963PM (21:9) LED Monitor: Computers & Accessories
I have nothing but praise for AOC lately.
Nothing beats them pricewise.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a feeling that when Mac Pro launches next month (or likely December) we might see some new Apple monitors announced.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Since I don't need HQ monitor for audio, I always buy at the big box stores. That way, if there's an issue (dead pixel, etc), I can return it or exchange, no questions asked.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Love working on my DELL 30'' U3011. Came close to pull the trigger on the 27" Cinema Display but never looked back. Screen resolution is 2560 x 1600, current CD is 2560 x 1440.

Sven
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search