The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Still no new displays from Apple...
Old 1st November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
There are several manufacturers (AOC and Hazro spring to mind) that launched 27" IPS screens for around the £400 mark. These are the same screens as in the 27" iMac and I have a pal who's a graphic designer who swears by them.

There are also a few super wide 2560x1080 screens appearing now for about the same money. Whilst they are not IPS screens, they offer a lot of screen real estate without having to worry about dual outputs or bezel blindness.

We have a display in this format, and the 1080 height is kind of disappointing.
For the same price you can get a 27" with 2560x1440 which has more vertical screen estate.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Smaller, cheaper dual monitors is the best approach, IMO. You can get way more horizontal screen (for mixing) and at a fraction of the price of a large 27-30" model.

My twin cheapo 19" Dells give me 2880 pixels across! And I paid less than $400 for the pair!
Old 1st November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
Smaller, cheaper dual monitors is the best approach, IMO. You can get way more horizontal screen (for mixing) and at a fraction of the price of a large 27-30" model.

My twin cheapo 19" Dells give me 2880 pixels across! And I paid less than $400 for the pair!
All depends on what type of space you need. I've found I need the vertical space as much, if not more, than horizontal.

Pete
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
All depends on what type of space you need. I've found I need the vertical space as much, if not more, than horizontal.

Pete
I could see how arrangers and those working with scores would love more vertical space, but for mixing, most folks won't be able to stack mixers on top of each other.

BTW., did you know OS 10.8 can arrange two monitors with two separate orientations? i.e.: one monitor can be in horizontal mode while the 2nd monitor can be rotated physically and set-up for vertical display mode? Another benefit of using two displays.

In addition to extra horizontal space, you get the added benefit of zero downtime, should a monitor fail. Simply disconnect the bad monitor and finish the session on the good one.
Old 3rd December 2013
The first wave of affordable proper Ultra HD / 4k displays are coming even sooner than expected.

Dell just announced several 4k computer displays.

32" 4k: $3499 (obviously this is still too expensive for our use, but optimized for graphics quality and color rendition)
24" 4k $1399 (that's what the current 30" displays go for and they sell well)
28" 4k Coming in 2014 for "under $1000".

Quote:
Coming Soon: Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor– Expected to be The Industry’s Most Affordable Ultra HD Monitor
The Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor will be available in early 2014. Offering the same incredible Ultra HD screen performance as the Dell UltraSharp 32 and Dell UltraSharp 24 Ultra HD Monitors, but priced at under $1,000, this 28-inch monitor can help boost user productivity with its multiple adjustability features, including the ability to pivot to portrait mode, plus multi-task applications. The energy efficient monitor has multiple input ports that allow users to display content from smartphones and tablets on the larger screen, and conveniently connect laptops, PCs and essential accessories. Dell expects this monitor will be the most affordable Ultra HD monitor in the industry when it is launched.
4k in this case refers to the 3840x2160

Full press release:
Press Releases | Dell

Pete
Old 3rd December 2013
Administrator

Nice!

Thanks for the heads-up Pete!

Graham
Old 9th January 2014
Hmm could be the one for me!
Old 9th January 2014
I sometimes work standing up at my desk

I wonder if I can get a screen to lift up?
Old 9th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Hmm could be the one for me!
Looks like it's only going to be $699!

28-Inch '4K' Display from Dell Priced at $699, Launches January 23 - Mac Rumors
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
The first wave of affordable proper Ultra HD / 4k displays are coming even sooner than expected.
The Dell (and all the other cheap 4K displays that showed up at CES) won't work at 4k on Mac Pros because it's limited to doing 4k at 30Hz, and the Mac Pro requires 60Hz.

[Updated] Dell Wasn't Joking About That 28-Inch Sub-$1000 4K Monitor; It's Only $699 - Forbes

The Dell will do 60Hz in 1920 x 1080 though.
Old 9th January 2014
Will my Macbook Air work with em?

Old 9th January 2014
Administrator

The Dell 28 Ultra HD Monitor - P2815Q launches globally on January 23rd.

P2815Q’s specs.
The monitor has a refresh rate of just 30Hz at full 4K resolution. The refresh rate jumps to 60Hz if you downgrade the monitor to 1080p resolution.
  • Panel tech: Anti-glare TN
  • Connections: DisplayPort (v 1.21)/Mini-DisplayPort, HDMI 1.4 (MHL 2.0), DispayPort out (MST), 1 USB upstream, 4 x USB 3.02 downstream (including 1 USB charging port with BC1.2 compliance devices on back)
  • Color Depth: 1.073 billion colors
  • Viewing angle: 170 degrees
  • Response time: 5ms
  • Brightness: 300 cd/m2
  • Power Consumption: 75W
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Will my Macbook Air work with em?
Not at 4k. You have to check their individual specs to see what they downsample to.

Apple's Haswell-based MacBook Pros support 4K output, but again only at 60Hz, so these cheap 30Hz 4k monitors won't show 4k on any Mac.
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda View Post
Ive got some stems that I will a/b with different monitors set at different resolutions. I will try monitoring with the lights on and off as well.......
your a/b is flawed, im gonna stick to using my monitor emulating plug in
Old 9th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
The Dell (and all the other cheap 4K displays that showed up at CES) won't work at 4k on Mac Pros because it's limited to doing 4k at 30Hz, and the Mac Pro requires 60Hz.

[Updated] Dell Wasn't Joking About That 28-Inch Sub-$1000 4K Monitor; It's Only $699 - Forbes

The Dell will do 60Hz in 1920 x 1080 though.
Yep. Bummer it's only 30hz. I find the refresh rate on my current 30hz 4k display to be fine with my PC, but the HDMI lag is annoying as HDMI itself isn't really 4k friendly at the moment. Looking forward to displayport and others in these displays.

If it has no lag and has a good color gamut, I'll likely get one (or two) to replace one of the displays in my current setup.

I'll be curious to see what the Lenovo and Asus displays spec out as.

699 is an amazing price, though. That's around the same I paid for this cheap Seiki last year, and quite a bit less than the 30" dell I'm looking at right now.

Pete
Old 10th January 2014
Here for the gear

The Asus one will be able to output 4K @ 60Hz.

PB287Q 4K For The Masses – CES 2014 | ASUS PC DiY | If you want it done right
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Nut

General question about monitor size…

I'm in the market for a new monitor as well. I already have my brand picked, but I'm wondering about size. Comes down to this:

24” - 1920 x 1200 @93 PPI
27” - 2560 x 1440 @109 PPI

For those of you that have worked on the bigger monitors that tend to have slightly higher resolution, is it worth it? This monitor will go on my desk, so viewing distance is between 2.5 and 3 feet.

Just wondering if there's any significant difference in general usability between these two common sizes, especially in areas like text size/clarity.

I'm leaning toward the 27", just looking for a bit of input.
Old 10th January 2014
I have a 30" 2560x1600 and a 39" 4k on my desk. Given your two options, I would go with the 27" without even thinking about it. Yes, the different in screen real estate and usable pixels is significant. Anything around 100 dpi you can keep at 100% scaling and use every pixel for content, unless your eyes are really bad or you keep the display that far away from you.

I just measured. My 30" display is typically 24" from my eyes. 29" when leaning back being lazy

Pete
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search