The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Mac Pro 2013, what kind of accessories and add-ons are you going to get?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
New Mac Pro 2013, what kind of accessories and add-ons are you going to get?

It looks to me as if the Mac Pro itself is not enough for a studio. You need to invest more to make this happen.

I just wondered what the options are that might be needed in a music studio... such as storage, added DSP power, converters, adapters, etc.

Any ideas, plans or known offerings?

You can add devices you like here:

Mac Pro 2013 Add On's (anyone can edit)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

For me that's an easy question to answer - a hackintosh so I can keep them internal and still go with Thunderbolt if required. And I'll get superior bang for the buck. The Mac Pro is too limited and cabled expansion too fragile for my needs.

Base model Mac Pro looks badly specced for audio and the higher specs still have strange configs. I still think it's going to be a bit of a flop.

I do think there'll be rush for integrated thunderbolt audio interface/dsp type devices from vendors.

BTW - I wonder what the pricing of the 12 core model with the D700s will be, I suspect it'll be $10k+ here in Oz with the base 6 core coming in at $5.3k
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

The portability of the Mac Pro was a major selling point, but price/performance gain is not enticing.

The black magic multi dock looks fantastic, fanless, stylish rack design.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
The portability of the Mac Pro was a major selling point, but price/performance gain is not enticing.

The portability is sort undone when you add in any expansion boxes.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
The portability is sort undone when you add in any expansion boxes.
There is sure to be some more aftermarket rack case thingys like the magma roben.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I don't need portability for studio equipment.

I think the main 'accessory' I'd need for the new MP is a bank loan... How else to pay for the PCI expansion chassis and all the new external junk I'm gonna need just to continue using the gear I have now?

Believe it or not I'm still tempted by the new machine. Added power and a quieter, more energy efficient CPU is all welcome. But I suspect most studio folk are gonna wait to see how the whole THunderbolt expansion market moves before taking a chance on this machine. Could be a chicken/egg situation. Nobody'll buy MP's until Thunderbolt gear comes down in price. And Thunderbolt gear won't come down in price until enough TB Macs are sold to raise the demand...

So it's wait and see mode for me. Guess that's another accessory I'll need: patience.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

New mac pro

The small size and extreme light weight of the new Mac Pro make it look A LOT MORE PORTABLE to those of us moving around the 50+ pound existing beasts for remote work.

The new Mac Pro combined with an Apollo interface and a Black Magic SSD dock looks like a great way to say good bye to heavy boxes and less convenient back ups.

Two rack spaces of electronics plus the small coffee can form factor of the new Mac Pro looks very enticing to me.

I'll admit it's not enticing if you don't have the funds but to say it's less portable indicates you might not have much experience with the existing Mac Pros (we have three of them in our studio).

Lets not forget "double the performance" of existing Mac Pro and the savings on electricity is significant for us in California where power costs 3x as much as most of the rest of the country.

I've been using Thunderbolt and I like it, while it is an emerging technology it's great to have this much bandwidth coming out of the box on a skinny little cable.

Personally I can't wait to run Logic 10 and Final Cut Pro on the new machine, the PCIe SSD storage is going to make the timeline feel very fluid.

Good luck and good music to all.
Old 23rd October 2013
but who needs portability in a Mac Pro?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'll probably want a three or four bay usb3 external drive enclosure. Anyone have a recommendation for a good one?

I also have one SSD in my current MP, probably an external TB enclosure for that although I may try it with USB3 first for the heck of it.

Moved to external audio interfaces years ago since it seemed obvious that was the way the industry was heading, so I don't need to worry about pcie at all.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a dual eSATA connector on my Mac Pro and two eSATA RAID boxes. I have a UAD Satellite (FW), I use ethernet to connect to the studio's network, and I still occasionally burn a CD or DVD, so something like this will be the first thing I get (whether I go Pro, iMac or Mini).

Sonnet - Echo 15 Thunderbolt Dock
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
but who needs portability in a Mac Pro?
Anyone who uses macbooks, and its limitations, for location work or live recording/shows. The audio world is so much bigger than just sitting in a music studio.
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Anyone who uses macbooks, and its limitations, for location work or live recording/shows. The audio world is so much bigger than just sitting in a music studio.
are you referring to a market where the fastest macbook pros are not powerful enough for location recording?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'll need a Thunderbolt to PCIe box for my SSL MadiXtreme64 PCIe card. I doubt SSL will be releasing a Thunderbolt Madi interface soon, and even if they do - it will cost money. Their PCIe/MadiXtreme drivers are thunderbolt aware though, so they'll work in a Thunderbolt-PCIe box. Also:

- Performance drives (Audio projects and sample libraries) will be on a Thunderbolt connection. An enclosure with 2 spaces will probably be enough, but 3 would be idea.
- Numerous backup drives can just go in USB3 caddies

I like that i can take it with me somewhere to edit/keep working with a pair of headphones. Most places i go will have a monitor/keyboard/mouse to hook it up to.

The price of all that add on stuff is what will cause me to hesitate/delay. That and fear of buying a RevA piece of gear.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post

Surely rackmount is better here then? If you've got a setup that is too big for a Macbook then you've probably got some pretty big racks of recording gear to use anyway.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
are you referring to a market where the fastest macbook pros are not powerful enough for location recording?
I'm referring to the limitations of laptops. One being the heat after long use that causes them to act up . Another being buffer size not able to get as low. And a few more quirks our guys have to work around on location w their mbp/tb setups.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
I'll need a Thunderbolt to PCIe box for my SSL MadiXtreme64 PCIe card. I doubt SSL will be releasing a Thunderbolt Madi interface soon, and even if they do - it will cost money. Their PCIe/MadiXtreme drivers are thunderbolt aware though, so they'll work in a Thunderbolt-PCIe box. Also:

- Performance drives (Audio projects and sample libraries) will be on a Thunderbolt connection. An enclosure with 2 spaces will probably be enough, but 3 would be idea.
- Numerous backup drives can just go in USB3 caddies

I like that i can take it with me somewhere to edit/keep working with a pair of headphones. Most places i go will have a monitor/keyboard/mouse to hook it up to.

The price of all that add on stuff is what will cause me to hesitate/delay. That and fear of buying a RevA piece of gear.
You should probably checkout the new Sonnet Tech thunderbolt 2 boxes

Sonnet - Echo Express III-D and III-R Thunderbolt 2 PCIe Expansion Chassis
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

As much as I wanted to upgrade to the new Mac Pro, I just can't justify it right now. The cost of extra stuff to get my PCIe cards and other peripherals working is just too high on top of the pricey computer.

The Thunderbolt expansion chassises and docks available now just aren't quite there yet as far as ports and features in my opinion, not to mention that most of them are not Thunderbolt 2 yet.

I'm just going to ride out my current 2010 Mac Pro for a year or two, and hopefully by then, the iMacs or Mac Minis will be in harmony with what I need as well as better Thunderbolt dock and expansion options.

For mastering, I think I can get by comfortably with a topped out iMac or possible Mac Mini as I'm not doing high track count production and virtual instruments. I never thought I'd be saying that, but this new Mac Pro seems to be geared towards video editors and audio folks with unlimited budgets, not the everyday small studio owner.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

I am getting a toilet brush to go into my new $3000 dollar holder

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 7th April 2014 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Fixed typo for OP :)
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head
My plan has been to just get OWC's PCIe SSD and a ton more RAM on my mid-2010, as I'm only at 16gb and I've read studios use 3-4x that much. Aside from giving up portability and TB, which I don't mind *yet*...I'm hoping this proves a smart investment.
Old 24th October 2013
I have an Apple 30" monitor which I am not going to replace. Anyone know how I would connect it to a nMP or if there is an adaptor for it?
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephendidit View Post
My plan has been to just get OWC's PCIe SSD and a ton more RAM on my mid-2010, as I'm only at 16gb and I've read studios use 3-4x that much.
Since that machine has triple channel ram, 48 is a nice number if you need that much.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I have an Apple 30" monitor which I am not going to replace. Anyone know how I would connect it to a nMP or if there is an adaptor for it?
Me too. I am sure there is an adaptor for it.

I will also need TB to PCI. More USB slots. New ext HD, new mouse/keyboard.

Not sure about my FW interface/mixing desk. Cannot replace that. Guess there's a TB to FW avail?

edit: But Along with others, I am probably going to wait until round 2 to gather more information.
Old 24th October 2013
I poked around for TB to DVI and yes, there is an adaptor. apparently there are some problems with them tho. do a search and you'll see what I mean.

not sure if there are TB to PCI. the are a bunch of TB to PCIe that look good. the Sonnet rack mounted one for about $900 looks quite good. they also make a case for external hard drives that looks pretty reasonable as well and it will fit into the rack.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
I poked around for TB to DVI and yes, there is an adaptor. apparently there are some problems with them tho. do a search and you'll see what I mean.

not sure if there are TB to PCI. the are a bunch of TB to PCIe that look good. the Sonnet rack mounted one for about $900 looks quite good. they also make a case for external hard drives that looks pretty reasonable as well and it will fit into the rack.
All we need is one big ass case to fit all this **** and we're good

Yep, PCIe from Sonnet. I think that price is crazy.
Old 24th October 2013
Here for the gear

Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
You need a TB(mDP) to Dual Link DVI adapter. Kanex or someone like that has one that's cheaper than the apple model, and IMO is less wonky. They both have some weirdness with screen flurries when resuming from sleep, but it's not a constant issue. I noticed this less with the non-Apple adapter. Also FYI both of these adapters also need a USB connection to your computer (for additional power, I believe.) I run one off my 2012 Mini to one of those Korean 27" displays. Glorious.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, the dual TB/DV link cable for 30" display is available on the Apple store for $99.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Yes, the dual TB/DV link cable for 30" display is available on the Apple store for $99.
All of this stuff is horribly expensive.

There will probably be a second hand market for some of this stuff, if one waits just a bit for the early adopters.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post

You know... that thing is really cool, but the lack of an additional thunderbolt port can be a deal breaker. Drobo has essentially the same thing, at a lower price, that features another thunderbolt port.

I do get that if you were to stream data from all 4 drives simultaneously, you've effectively eaten up the data throughput of the TB, but how many people are honestly going to do that? Moreover, TB 2.0 looks to be coming out, and perhaps they will revise their multidock and work in an additional port. Otherwise, it's a Belkin TB dock inserted between the comp and SSD dock.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
All of this stuff is horribly expensive.

There will probably be a second hand market for some of this stuff, if one waits just a bit for the early adopters.
Not likely. Not that I have seen anyway. These adapters for Dual Link have existed since the switch to Mini Display port what... 5 years ago? 6?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search