The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Mac Pro 2013, what kind of accessories and add-ons are you going to get?
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

Why does their site say 3? Is it possible they have updated the hardware to a new version?
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
Total investments so far.. ouch, it hurts.
Mac Pro with 6 Cores, 12 Gb RAM and 1 TB storage: 5000.- $
External Storage 2TB RAID: 2500.- $
Apogee Symphony 16x16 with Thunderbridge: 5000.- $
UAD Apollo 16 with Thunderbolt Adapter: 3500.- $
Digital equipment is a rapidly depreciating asset (see Moore's Law). You better have some hits.
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear
I heard that Spotify didn't pay Daft Punk for their "Get Lucky" hit enough money to do such investments... rumours... it's about time for artists to get their own music distribution platform (sorry - off topic - I know). There is a lot of analog technology and good old instrument playing skills involved in Get Lucky (hybrid rocks ;-) ).

Anyway, this picture shows the Mac Pro 2013 chaos:

The worst is that you don't have a centralised on / off switch... all these devices must be powered on (and off) in the right sequence... I guess.
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyway, this picture shows the Mac Pro 2013 chaos:

The worst is that you don't have a centralised on / off switch... all these devices must be powered on (and off) in the right sequence... I guess.
Not really. Most audio pros are not going to use the vid capture and fibre channel, and already had an external audio interface and external storage. Blue ray drive wasn't that popular either.
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

A couple of other expansion options:

http://hecklerdesign.com/how-apples-...-on-your-desk/

Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear
Humour is important - we wouldn't survive without.

Anyway, realistically the main change seems to be the move to Thunderbolt (1 / 2). This forces me to renew many things and invest into (unnecessary?) connectors, adapters and bridges. And yes, I think it's not better than PCIe, just a different format... I hope Thunderbolt will be a stable standard for the coming years.. I didn't like the Firewire issues that much... it somehow didn't work as nicely as PCIe for various reasons...

I guess it's too early to move to this Thunderbolt stuff, as many offerings are still in their childhood of development. Maybe it's better to stay on a Mac Pro 2012 for a while, if you manage to get one, and then jump later.

Anyway, I'm already jumping to this Thunderbolt stuff. Can't go back ;-).
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

is that alex4d card real? i'm guessing not...
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

Not real.
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear
My Mac Pro 2013 has arrived.

The Apogee Thunderbridge seems to be have a nice electricity solution: it's got it's power supply, but there is no on / off switch. The power on and off is controlled through the Thunderbolt connection. Centralised power control is important, because you don't want to need to turn on and off each and every devices connected to the Mac by hand...
Old 7th February 2014
Gear Addict
LaCie 2Big Thunderbolt is also switching on/off with the mac...

horrible enough that apple put the new Mac Pros On/Off switch to the back, under where all cables run (especially if you use a TB/Firewire adapter which dongles exactly in the way) it really IS the mess that picture above implies...

but the nMP is fast
Old 7th February 2014
I've had my nMP for 3 weeks. Let me tell you, this sucker really IS fast...
Old 7th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Looks like the new MAC PRO CPU is indeed removable and upgrade-able

New Mac Pro Confirmed to Have Removable CPU - Mac Rumors

So

CPU
RAM
SSD drive
possibly GPU's

all removable and upgrade able
Yes the CPU is upgradable except the new Xeon's coming in Q3 2014 (according to Intel's road map) 3 pins will different on the new CPU's Intel keeps doing this so the old motherboards will not work. OTH if you buy a 4 or 6 core now and wait until the 12 core drops in price down the road that could be a good thing too.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear
Seems like the Thunderbolt update for UAD Apollo 16 is here...

UAD Compatibility
Old 22nd February 2014
Works for the Octo in an external chassis as well!
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear
Well, here comes Mac Pro Server Rack:
MacStadium - Dedicated Mac Pro Server Hosting and Colocation

Check this. Funny. Although I think a Server needs redundant components (RAID, Power Supply, etc.) - Apple still has to deliver a new server line that can keep up with HP, IBM, Lenovo, etc.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

I've done a quick test with my makeitcrash session
check it out.

Test Pro tools 11HD with new MacPro Makeitcrash session - YouTube
Old 6th April 2014
Here for the gear

You need a dual link DVI to mini display adapter. It costs $99 at Apple but I just got one at EBay at $65.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

I went with a 6 core 64gb Mac Pro and use my 8core 24gb 2009 as slave. Anybody noticed that the multi dock got updated to thunderbolt 2 and gained a second thunderbolt port?

I was constantly swapping SSDs in and out from my mac so the multi dock will be of good use

Just my 2cents
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear
Been using the Multidock V1 since OCt. Excellent unit. Thinking of upgrading to V2 :-)
Old 7th April 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbotkiller View Post
It is not. Thunderbolt is capable of 10gbps connections and can transfer audio, video, and data. Displayport/minidisplay is video only.
If, however, you're asking are they the same connector, the answer is yes.

On new Macs you plug MiniDisplayPort cables into the Thunderbolt ports if you want to use them for compatible video monitors (either DisplayPort or MiniDisplayPort or HDMI with an adaptor cable).
Old 20th June 2014
Here for the gear

Hello,

can anyone suggest a quiet and fast storage 2 terrabye device for sample libraries and working with music on the MacPro?

I'm looking into the following:

Promise Pegasus R2

or

Promise Pegasus R4

or

La Cie Little Big Disk SSD Thunderbolt 2, 1 TB (i would need 2)

Does anyone have experience with theses devices. Can you recommend it as quiet and fast, or do you have other suggestions?

Thanx!
Old 21st June 2014
Lives for gear

Either of these are supposed to be pretty quiet, and can use either SSD's or traditional drives:

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual RAID Array w/ Thunderbolt Technology

OWC ThunderBay IV - Thunderbolt External Hard Drive & SSD Enclosure
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboehler View Post
Hello,

can anyone suggest a quiet and fast storage 2 terrabye device for sample libraries and working with music on the MacPro?

I'm looking into the following:

Promise Pegasus R2

or

Promise Pegasus R4

or

La Cie Little Big Disk SSD Thunderbolt 2, 1 TB (i would need 2)

Does anyone have experience with theses devices. Can you recommend it as quiet and fast, or do you have other suggestions?

Thanx!
I've bought the OWC Thunderbay IV (it's quiet out of the box) and Caldigit T3, remember if you will use HDD instead of SSD you will ear the 2 or 3 or 4 drives spinning, with SSD it's dead quiet
Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear
I bought a OWC Helios 2 PCIe Expander Chassis. It's not been silent, so I unplugged its fan. Now it's silent and I hope the PCIe card (UAD Octo) will survive the heat...
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
I bought a OWC Helios 2 PCIe Expander Chassis. It's not been silent, so I unplugged its fan. Now it's silent and I hope the PCIe card (UAD Octo) will survive the heat...
Why don't you replace it for a better one?

I've tested the Caldigit without fan and the HDD temperature rise to much.

I don't advise you to remove completely the Fan, try to buy a silent one.

SilenX Corporation - Effizio Quiet Fans

or

::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFraGile View Post
I've bought the OWC Thunderbay IV (it's quiet out of the box) and Caldigit T3, remember if you will use HDD instead of SSD you will ear the 2 or 3 or 4 drives spinning, with SSD it's dead quiet
Hi UnFraGile ..., thats good news the thunderbay fan is quiet as you reported ..., how does the noise compare the that of the new mac pro's FAN ? ..., and what drives did you settle for ?

Its a nice looking unit also .

But ..., there are no tech specs with that link ;

OWC ThunderBay IV - Thunderbolt External Hard Drive & SSD Enclosure

..., what it doesnt tell me is , if its Thunderbolt ONE or Thunderbolt TWO ? ..., and also , does the thunderbay IV power off automatically when the computer powers off , or do you have to get you fingers behind the unit to manually flick the power switch, each time you decide to power up and down the Mac ?

..., Also , do you have to load the thunderbay with either; All SSD's / all HHDs only - or can you split the enclosure with a combination of ( EG half SSDs/ Half HDDs into the enclosure ?
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam_green View Post
Hi UnFraGile ..., thats good news the thunderbay fan is quiet as you reported ..., how does the noise compare the that of the new mac pro's FAN ? ..., and what drives did you settle for ?

Its a nice looking unit also .

But ..., there are no tech specs with that link ; OWC ThunderBay IV - Thunderbolt External Hard Drive & SSD Enclosure

..., what it doesnt tell me if its Thunderbolt ONE or Thunderbolt TWO ? ..., and also , does it power of when the computer powers off , or do you have to get you fingers behind the unit to flick the power switch each time you power up and down the Mac ?

..., Also , do you have to load the thunderbay with either; All SSD's / all HHDs only - or can you split the enclosure with a combination of ( EG half SSDs/ Half HDDs into the enclosure ?
Hi,

It's almost the same noise with no HDD inside, dead quiet.
The noise I can ear is from the HDD's, and some vibrating noise but that it's because the place where the Thunderbay is. It's on a wood table, I'm gonna use some anti vibrating sponge to attenuate that "problem".

I've used Seagate 4x 3TB Barracuda model ST3000DM001.

You now have Thunderbay IV thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbay 4 thunderbolt 2 version.

Yes, it powers off when the computers powers off.

Yes, You can mix the Hard Drives, SSDs with HDD with no problem.

Check this article - OWC Thunderbay IV vs Thunderbay 4

Cheers,
Marco
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

As far as I know, if you place an order for the Thunderbay now, it is the Thunderbolt 2 version. But you can call or email them to verify this. It's the same price as the Thunderbolt 1 version so there's no reason to not get the newer one.
Old 8th July 2014
Gear Maniac

a very helpful member from another forum put me onto these for using with the NMP ( & protools) I,m very much liking these

- Sonnet's Echo 15 Pro+ Thunderbolt 2 Dock

link ; Sonnet - Echo 15 Pro+ Thunderbolt Dock

- LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt 2

link ; https://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10621

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search