The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New GarageBand X is out
Old 23rd October 2013
New GarageBand X is out

Just download the new GarageBand 10.0.0 and it is different, way different. I browsed through for a few minutes and here is what I noticed (maybe it is still there but hidden)

This is not an upgrade of GarageBand, this is a new app, exactly Logic, just a stripped down version.

No more Magic GarageBand
No more Podcast Track
No more Movie Tracks (at least limited)
No more send Movie to iWeb or iDVD (the writing was on the wall)
No More Inspector (New Smart Controls, from Logic)
No More Master Echo/Reverb (can't find it???)

New GUI (exactly like Logic)
New Smart Controls (from Logic)
New Drummer (from Logic)
New Library (from Logic)
New Quick Help (from Logic)
New Global Tracks (from Logic)
New save to SoundCloud
New beautiful looking AUEffects
New iCloud Sharing
NEW: Worsk with Logic Remote

BTW, the version numbering might be confusing. The "old GarageBand" was named "GarageBand 11 v6.0"4 and the new version is just "GarageBand v10.0.0" So what do we call it now? The "New GarageBand" or use its real name "Logic Express X". How about "GarageBand X"

Any GarageBand want to try the Logic Remote iPad app with the new GarageBand. I have released the only comprehensive manual that covers every little detail about the app (looks like I have to add a few GarageBand paragraphs). It is available on my website www. DingDingMusic.com
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Now when people say that Logic is Garageband Pro, they will actually be right. Garageband X is basically Logic X without the mixer. Especially if you turn off the advanced tools in Logic's preferences.

Interesting.
Old 23rd October 2013
I dont really get the snobbery about GB Pro anyways. GB was a neat product allowing loads of people to get started making music. Ive got no issues with it being a little brother to LPX - makes perfect sense.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

still can't use pluggins, right?
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
still can't use pluggins, right?

What do you mean still? Of course you could use Plugins in GarageBand before too.
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Now when people say that Logic is Garageband Pro, they will actually be right. Garageband X is basically Logic X without the mixer. Especially if you turn off the advanced tools in Logic's preferences.

Interesting.
No you guys don't see it. It is the other way around. GaragBand X is just Logic Express X.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
No you guys don't see it. It is the other way around. GaragBand X is just Logic Express X.
LOL. I was thinking that too. I was just messing. I don;t really care if Logic is considered Garageband Pro or whatever, I happen to like Garageband a lot. For what it is, its pretty damn great. It's easy to use, sounds great, and it's free for every new mac user. What's not to like?

That begin said I think that Garageband '11 was better for new users. Some things are a bit of a mess in this version, like adding AU plugins. Like Logic you also have the way too dark UI, I find the older dark UI to be better. I also don't like that they removed the panel on the right. I liked seeing things like pedals and amp cabinets there. It's really a mixed bag because Garageband assumes that you will use the included sounds and tweak using the smart controls. It;s hard for me to be objective about it because I find that really awesome in Logic, but putting myself in the mindset of a newb I'm not sure that its as obvious as it should be.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

What is the problem with adding AU pluggins? I guess I just wrote off the program a long time ago even though I thought it was kinda neat at the time. I can't find a comprehensive feature/shortcoming list anywhere. What are the major drawbacks? I guess I'll download the new version to see what it looks like these days...
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is the problem with adding AU pluggins? I guess I just wrote off the program a long time ago even though I thought it was kinda neat at the time. I can't find a comprehensive feature/shortcoming list anywhere. What are the major drawbacks? I guess I'll download the new version to see what it looks like these days...
A couple of things I noticed off the bat. It seems to me that effects are gone or at least they are harder to find. In the older version GB had some included effects like bit crusher, compressor, distortion, etc. Those seem to be gone in this version. Master delay and reverb are still there but need to be enabled in the options. They added the drummer tracks from Logic and it works pretty much the same. I have Logic so some things are a bit skewed for me since Logic and GB seem to share preferences and libraries. The patches I created in Logic are showing up in GB. I haven;t tried loading one yet. GBX has smart controls like Logic for all of it's instruments, in-fact that's the only way you can edit/tweak the included instruments and effects.

From what I can see, Apple neutered the app quite a bit in comparison to the old version. You can only edit instruments through smart controls, the same for vocals and audio tracks. Though in the guitar track you can edit the pedals and amp settings with two buttons on the right. Seems a bit more spartan in-terms of features to me.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

ok, but why couldn't you just use third party instruments and effects? what are the functional differences between gb and logic? (i know there may be a lot, but i am a fan of streamlined programs).
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok, but why couldn't you just use third party instruments and effects? what are the functional differences between gb and logic? (i know there may be a lot, but i am a fan of streamlined programs).
If a user is really going to use 3rd party plugins, then chances are that they already have a DAw or some other application which will give them more than Garageband anyway. While you can definitely do cool things with this version of GB, the older version had effects. The included effects were based on some of Logic's effects but with simpler controls. You could do pretty cool things with the included effects.

Now, you are limited to what Apple has available as smart controls. This is a regression imo. But it's Garageband, in this context, loading a patch and playing something is probably more appealing to newb users. On that note, I find that even in that kind of scenario the iOS version is heads and tails better designed and implemented.

Right now GBX feels like a demo for Logic X to me, or like Ableton Live Lite, where the application is basically Ableton with all the interesting bits removed. Luckily GBX isn't made for me. It's made for someone who is just starting to enter the world of making music.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
It's made for someone who is just starting to enter the world of making music.
And for that, it is an amazing app (free app!)
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Gotta say, the new iCloud sharing feature is nice. They really ought to
make this available for Logic projects. I'm tempted to download GB-X
just so I can transfer my 'on-the-go' song ideas on my iPhone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search