The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Midi problem on Windows 7 64 bit
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

Midi problem on Windows 7 64 bit

hey
Does anyone had a problem with midi in any daw in Windows 7 64 bit that i actually fight with?
I have keyboard connected to interface via midi calbe and on front panel of interface signal is blinking. In my daws (cubase 7, pt 10) midi ports are recoginzed and they are active. Then i add midi track - press record active - playing keyboard and no midi signal is coming to daw.
I've tried with Fireface fw 400, Focusrite Saffire 56 and Mbox 2 pro and it is the same. I can see signal in an interface - in daw prefs midi devices are ok. Midi traks with inputs seted to"all input" should give any reaction when i play but there is no signal on a midi track.
Please help
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have the same problem. Got the same response to my thread. I guess we stumped them.
Old 25th October 2013
First, rule out things like:
- Bad DIN MIDI cable
- MIDI cables reversed (in->in instead of in->out)
- Incorrect channels or other DAW configuration nonsense (to rule this out, download MIDI-OX and use that. If you see data coming in, it's config with your DAW)

I haven't used any of those devices, but I assume they all come with drivers you have to install.

If so, check the Windows device manager (I forget where it is in 7, but search for "Devices Manager" or "devices" in control panel) to verify they are being detected correctly and not as something generic. You should see some specific names like this:

From there, you can also uninstall a device and then redetect devices on the system. To be sure, you can remove and uninstall drivers from that, and reinstall them before re-inserting the USB plug.

Also, have you tried a different USB port on the PC? Worth checking.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Midi problem on Windows 7 64 bit-device_manager.png  
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hey do you guys get this all the time, or just sometimes?

When I get it, I reset Cubase and it work fine. I don't know what cause it, but the daw will see the midi being transmitted, but no sound.

I've even had a issue where some vi's worked and some had no sound...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Head

midi

thank you guys for answer I feel a little better that i'm not alone with this issue. I read all suggestions and after checking all connections - after uninstaling devices in device manager it is still the same.
My interface on front panel shows blinking light when i touch keyboard so it means that there is incoming midi signal. Midi ports in my protools and cubase are recognized but midi track with active monitor should display incoming signal on it. (input on a track is set to "all inputs")

Everythning was working perfectly for years and suddenly 2 weeks ago my midi gone offended.

I've installed midi ox but do not pretty know how to use it. Tried to check midi ports - they are visible but i don't know how to check if they work.
Attached Thumbnails
Midi problem on Windows 7 64 bit-screenshot3.jpg  
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

I tried both USB and MIDI cables, upgraded the software, and held an exorcism. Never thought of un and reinstalling it. I'll give it a shot when I can use my arm again. Thanks. (shoulder surgery)
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugger View Post
I've installed midi ox but do not pretty know how to use it. Tried to check midi ports - they are visible but i don't know how to check if they work.
Select the input. Hit keys on controller.

If MIDI-OX doesn't show messages in the display, MIDI isn't getting to the PC.

Pete
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Similar problem with cubase and my virus ti... can record midi, but when I try to play the virus back from the computer it spits out garbage. Virus is ok, tried it on my friends system works no prob.

Sent from my SGH-I547C
Old 30th October 2013
Here for the gear

Same problem here. I'm using Cubase LE 5 on Windows 7 64-bit, running my yamaha s90 es through a tascam 600 interface. Up until about 2 weeks ago, I was happily recording all kinds of midi on cubase, have been for years, then one day, no midi in activity. When I play back prerecorded midi tracks, there is midi out activity, but I hear no sound out of the keyboard. When I try to record midi, it doesn't show ANY midi in activity. Thinking it was the interface, I went through the usb port out of my keyboard and into my computer, which i had done successfully in the past, and it didn't work. Thinking it was my yamaha, I tried using a cheap emu controller, no cigar. I updated EVERY driver associated with my setup, reinstalled cubase itself, yada yada, no luck. Interestingly, when I tested out some free midi sequencing programs, I was able to record midi data just fine. Tried it on a friends macbook (garageband), worked great. The only variable left is Cubase. If anyone has a solution, please!!!
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

don't hit me for stating the obvious, but if you select "all midi in" in cubase for the input: the respective actual midi channel does have the tickbox set in the Device Setup for "all midi"?

(or to rule this out, select the actual midi input rather than "all midi" as the input)

Two other unlikely things to check
- the "midi filter" in (I think) "preferences" - no channel filter enabled?
- no filter enabled on the midi channel itself?

Have both a laptop and pc with win7 64bit and all kinds of midi in and never had a problem.
Old 25th January 2014
Here for the gear

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I work with windows 7 64 bit. Everything worked fine and somehow just one day my midi stopped working. There is no MIDI activity, but the MIDI interface is visible and active. It looks like it's a windows problem. Was anyone able to solve it by now?
Old 26th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romi131 View Post
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I work with windows 7 64 bit. Everything worked fine and somehow just one day my midi stopped working. There is no MIDI activity, but the MIDI interface is visible and active. It looks like it's a windows problem. Was anyone able to solve it by now?
Download midi-ox to test. If it doesn't see midi, it's probably a hardware or driver issue. If it does see it, then check your config in whatever daw you're using.

Pete
Old 26th January 2014
Here for the gear

I found the solution! Its on:

USB MIDI not working in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romi131 View Post
I found the solution! Its on:

USB MIDI not working in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Tried that. Reloaded the USB drivers in W7. Un and reinstalled multiple times. Now not working on Keystation 49 or a new Alesis Q49.

The next and last thing I can think of is to try and refresh the USB drivers in the bios from the mobo support disc, but that is scarier than futzing around in the registry!

Sonar was telling me when the device was disconnected, but it stopped doing even that. The MIDI icon still comes up in the tool tray, but all I get is "cannot find driver" message.

That and the yellow marker by the USB controller in Device Manager.

Any other ideas?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search