The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Parked CPU cores :(
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Parked CPU cores :(

Hello guys!

I have i7 2600 with HT enabled. But still my cpu cores 1,3,5 & 7 are parked and not used.

I've found some tutorials online how to turn on those cores through regedit, that didn't work. Than I found some Unpark CPU core app's, although app says cores are unparked, but when I go to Win 7 resource monitor/CPU tab, it still says the cores are parked and the letters are greyed out.

Than I disabled C1E, C3/C6 states in BIOS, HT is enabled (always was)...but cores still parked. And my cpu gets hotter now, it was 43°C before disabling those options, now it's 50°C.

I checked my Power Consumption profiles both in BIOS and in Win, everything is set up on high performance.

So, where is the problem? Why I am not allowed to use all 8 cores? I read people with all cores unparked get better results...

Any help is appreciated.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Programs have to be programed to use each core for a particular thing.
There is no way to force cores to work with a program.
With HT enabled in Bios your CPU will be a little hotter that's normal.
Some programs will use one core while windows uses another and that's all you get.
Normally Windows will use only one core but will use a second for running a virus scan and another to run a program at the same time.
Some programs such as Ableton Live runs each track on it's own core. I've seen 8 cores in use on my Win 8 i7 computer.
U-he DIVA, ACE synth plugins run each voice on their own cores if multicore mode is enabled in those plugins.
Most plugins, software and games use one core only.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I understand all that. But why I can't unpark cores? I want them to be available. Btw, my cpu temp with HT enabled was 43°C, but when I disabled those 2 states for cpu, it increased to 50°C (stable).

Now I checked how is the load shared. I took one of my tracks, I use a lot vsti's and fx's (at least 20 compressors, 20 eq's, reverbs, delays, etc) on it. ASIO CPU load in S1 Pro is 45%. Than I checked through resource tab and 4 main cores doing the whole job, 1 HT core doing maybe 5% of the job, 3 are doing nothing. :/

It feels like I am not utilizing the max power of my CPU.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

maybe try this Hack: How To Disable Windows CPU Core Parking - Ep. 18 - YouTube

You will have to make lots of tracks in a mix to see if your DAW can use multiple cores. 20 effects on one track will still only use 1 - 2 cores.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Most applications cannot use multiple cores. The operating scheduler simply does not have enough work to schedule any threads on them. Each core can only run one one thread at a time. Hyperthreading basically allow two threads to be active on a core but only one can actually be executing. Hyperthreading is really a last resort for the scheduler and only benefits when the are too many threads to execute the unparked cores.. i.e 4 cores approach 100%. Note that intel claims that hyperthreading typically on results in a 30% performance improvement on a fully loaded system so basically with hyperthreading you get two cores running around 65%.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom75 View Post
maybe try this Hack: How To Disable Windows CPU Core Parking - Ep. 18 - YouTube

You will have to make lots of tracks in a mix to see if your DAW can use multiple cores. 20 effects on one track will still only use 1 - 2 cores.
Already tried that. Still 4 cores parked. :(

I use like 40 or so tracks, each has several effects on them.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

As I said the os will not schedule any of those parked cores until all 4 un-parked approach 100%
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

That's we get bad CPU load in our DAWs. :P We have 4 cores waiting to be overloaded while other 4 are waiting to get to work and they cannot help in sharing the load? Unless the application is written different way?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I hope jschild will hop in this thread and enlighten us all. He is the only one I trust when it comes to this kind of problems.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Hm...I found this article:

Studio One - Optimizing Windows Vista/7 Power Settings for Studio One : PreSonus Audio Electronics

And I used this power profile, all of my cores were unparked. So, I was happy...for a moment. :P

Than I opened up the same track I mentioned in the 2nd post.

Before unparking all cores and disabling all states as this power profile does, my ASIO load was 45% and CPU temp 43°C. After I used this power profil which disables turbo, all C states, EIST and unparks all cores...I thought I would benefit from it, but the truth is...it was even worse. ASIO load of the track was 65% and CPU temp went up to 92°C.

So, don't know what to comment. I am lost. hahah

EDIT: I checked DPC with previous power profile and the new one (which makes things worse)...latency was same in green...65 µs!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search