The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
OS X Mavericks Free!
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
I went ahead with it yesterday. I am on a 2012 i7 Mini. Logic is running smooth. RME interface is playing nice too.

Yeah, what is the point of Maps?

i asked myself the same question
wtf do i need maps on my computer lol
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Duende always 'breaks' on a new OS install. Just reinstall the Duende suite software.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoctemAudio View Post
Did you even read the description for Mavericks in the App Store? It does a great job describing the update and what's changed/added. Finder tabs finally, tags, multi display features, dock accessible on all monitors, maps app that can shoot directions to your phone, iCloud password and form keychain, etc! I'm liking it so far. Still haven't upgraded on the main studio computer though.
Like I said in a later post, it's a great update. It doesn't have the immediate wow factor that previous updates had. Lots of new stuff under the hood, and some great new features, but my point is, for the average consumer, there just isn't enough bling to warrant a paid upgrade.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Like I said in a later post, it's a great update. It doesn't have the immediate wow factor that previous updates had. Lots of new stuff under the hood, and some great new features, but my point is, for the average consumer, there just isn't enough bling to warrant a paid upgrade.
??
the upgrade to Mavericks is free.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
??
the upgrade to Mavericks is free.
Oh, is that why this thread is titled as such? As I've said in my last 3 posts, Apple was right to offer it for free.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience View Post
Very simple. 2 out of 3 young people in America cannot identify the United States of America on a world map.
Something has to be done about that.
Old 24th October 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

LMFAO!
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatdark View Post
Very simple. 2 out of 3 young people in America cannot identify the United States of America on a world map.
Something has to be done about that.
i wouldn't be surprised! lmao
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

installed maverick and all is working fine at the moment.
are there changes whithin apples core audio protocol???
Old 24th October 2013
now i can read books on my computer and know where I am at all times without having to remember my computer is in my house!

also they took away the pie chart of ram usage in the activity monitor! basterds!
Old 24th October 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

You can try this, it's free:

Raging Menace - MenuMeters
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Duende always 'breaks' on a new OS install. Just reinstall the Duende suite software.
YMMV however I've just upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks. I just went to the Code Meter site and downloaded / installed the very latest OSX runtime kit. Haven't needed to re-install the Duende software itself, everything seems to be working and all licenses on the USB dongle have been recognised.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience View Post
I live in LA and use google maps all the time. But the maps app will send the directions straight to my phone. And it's free.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Mavericks is not playing nice with me. iMac will not restart. Just goes to a grey screen every time I try. Going on 30 minutes now.

Also waves wlc would not install/launch. Not sure if anyone else is getting these problems but for some reason I am.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Maybe, but plenty of people paid for Snow Leopard previously and that was purely about back-end improvements. Mavericks seems to be a good mix of back-end improvements and new features. I don't think many people would have blinked twice paying a nominal fee of £20 or £30 to update. The fact that they didn't charge at all is definitely good though - we've paid a premium for Apple hardware and it's a nice gesture from Apple.

Lion I didn't like, slow and ugly compared to Snow Leopard - seemed like a rush job. Mountain Lion was better, but not amazing. Mavericks I like a lot so far - seems faster, better energy management, less pointless graphical bling, love what they've done with Safari (smooth scrolling etc), fixed multi-monitor issues, etc. Oh and getting rid of that horrible leather binding from contacts......

So good job Apple - a useful upgrade for those of use who don't just run a single audio application on our computers. All pretty unexciting after the event, but equally reassuringly the same (everything is still working and familiar) just all a bit better. All of which no doubt took a lot of effort and a lot of code has been changed (it's a lot easier to change a lot of code and make it slower and behave differently than to make it faster and keep changes transparent to your applications).

Of course there have been underlying kernel tweaks and I have heard of slightly improved benchmark scores - so I'm curious if anyone has noticed a slight improvement from a DAW perspective?
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugol View Post
Maybe, but plenty of people paid for Snow Leopard previously and that was purely about back-end improvements. Mavericks seems to be a good mix of back-end improvements and new features. I don't think many people would have blinked twice paying a nominal fee of £20 or £30 to update. The fact that they didn't charge at all is definitely good though - we've paid a premium for Apple hardware and it's a nice gesture from Apple.

Lion I didn't like, slow and ugly compared to Snow Leopard - seemed like a rush job. Mountain Lion was better, but not amazing. Mavericks I like a lot so far - seems faster, better energy management, less pointless graphical bling, love what they've done with Safari (smooth scrolling etc), fixed multi-monitor issues, etc. Oh and getting rid of that horrible leather binding from contacts......

So good job Apple - a useful upgrade for those of use who don't just run a single audio application on our computers. All pretty unexciting after the event, but equally reassuringly the same (everything is still working and familiar) just all a bit better. All of which no doubt took a lot of effort and a lot of code has been changed (it's a lot easier to change a lot of code and make it slower and behave differently than to make it faster and keep changes transparent to your applications).

Of course there have been underlying kernel tweaks and I have heard of slightly improved benchmark scores - so I'm curious if anyone has noticed a slight improvement from a DAW perspective?
Took the plunge last night on the osx upgrade - painless procedure btw.

I'm running a 2012 mac mini i7 2.6ghz with 16gb ram with a factory fitted ssd and an external ssd for audio. I was using osx 10.8.5 with zero issues. My audio interface is an RME FF800 and my main DAW is Reason 7.

I'm currently working on a track which was just at the point of giving me the odd click or pop, this is running at 88.2k with the highest buffer setting in Reason 7. I fired up this track last night after installing mavericks, and I noticed immediately the dsp bar in Reason was lower with this same project, with no pops or clicks whatsoever.

Early days but it's looking very promising.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda View Post
now i can read books on my computer and know where I am at all times without having to remember my computer is in my house!
Old 27th October 2013
well never mind what i seid about Samplitude, it is not coming to Mac anymore...
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

all fine here with maverick.
running:
pt10
cubase7
metric halo uln8
waves mercury
latest uad
slate
and other things
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I downloaded it on the external drive. With very little testing Logic, Apogee and Euphonix seem to be working all right.

The reasons I'm not upgrading my internal systems are_
1) My Epson Scan doesn't work (yes Image
Capture will work but it's rather clumsy)
2) Not sure about being forced to make my calendar, address book sync in the cloud rather than on my Mac

So far I've decided to wait.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yore View Post
2) Not sure about being forced to make my calendar, address book sync in the cloud rather than on my Mac
I don't think you have to do that, the cloud prefs have options to select which things it's used for.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Hi Mike,
this would be good but according to some reports the tab that had info on the right side of summary is gone. Here's a link to the article
Sync contacts and calendars with your iPhone via iTunes? Not in Mavericks you don't | Macworld

If this is false information.. good :-)
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant the OS forced the user to use those to sync, as opposed to taking the feature out of iTunes.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

as well as having to download the latest codemeter, i had to download the latest ilok client software too - after that, everything seemed to work. haven't run big sessions.

no idea why i installed it on my main studio computer. boredom, mainly. hoping for better performance from Logic X.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Maniac

i'm still on 10.7.5.

i avoid os updates as long as possible, never felt a big need to keep up.

but lots of people do need or enjoy that kind of stuff, apart from even recording and mixing and stuff, so for them it's a valid question.

but I'd think everyone would at least want to split there hard drive and make 2 systems and just maintain one clean working system, purely for recording. and always keep that one version away from the current. you know?
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by :deth:roxxmeowserz View Post
i'm still on 10.7.5.

i avoid os updates as long as possible, never felt a big need to keep up.

but lots of people do need or enjoy that kind of stuff, apart from even recording and mixing and stuff, so for them it's a valid question.

but I'd think everyone would at least want to split there hard drive and make 2 systems and just maintain one clean working system, purely for recording. and always keep that one version away from the current. you know?
The "'aint broke don't fix it" approach is certainly valid - especially if all you do is run the same DAW all day long - and you're happy. However Mavericks really does offer some tangible benefits especially around multi-monitor and battery life. For me it's the best OSX release since Snow Leopard. No regrets upgrading so far.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

My 6 Core 3.33 machine is a little wonky with this update. A few random crashes/restarts.

Had a kernel panic right after upgrading that zapping pram and resetting the SMC (I think that's what it's called) solved.
Old 1st November 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

The combo Mavericks/Logic X is incredible... I can run everything at half the buffer size when compared with Mountain Lion/Logic 9. I'm thoroughly impressed - Apple actually listened.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

As you folks probably know, the future OSX versions will be also free!
Old 1st November 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

I think we should be getting a free computer every year, too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search