The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict
SPL Crimson

Seeing as we are rapidly approaching November and still no news on the release of the SPL Crimson... anyone have any news on why the delay? (perhaps to be further extended) and what's going on with such a promising looking piece of kit?

Rgds

Russ
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head
bump. still waiting
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict
Bump
Old 24th October 2013
I'm not a rep of...well anything really, but I did preorder one from frontend. What they told me in a nutshell from SPL's USA distributor is

"There was a delay due to trouble sourcing components (since SPL uses high end components [IE not generic chinese production]), quality components are harder to source, and take longer to produce."

I've gotten a "firm?" shipping date of 11/15/2013 or before. Could it change? I dunno, I can't see the future.

BE AWARE that some vendors claiming to have it inbound may not be doing that anymore (I asked around when it was expected to a few places to gauge responses before purchasing - it's about the same everywhere, but some places said they don't plan on stocking it that still have it on their site).

I took a leap of faith on this unit because SPL seems to have a good rep esp in analogue, which I read is the more important part of a converter stage. I'm not too worried about them making the jump to digital because there's a lot of good and bad companies out there that do this and do it proficiently so I don't know why everybody thinks SPL is foraging new territory here when they could just look at what everybody else is doing and has been doing for years.

It's a cheaper price point than the ID22 and works with windows right out of the gate as opposed to 'someday,' though how well it works is a mystery until it comes out. I'm upgrading to a new laptop (my old interface will be useless at that point) next month, so they ought to come around the same time so this is the best solution right now (for me).

But, you ask, what about the babyface or the usbpre 2, or (insert 2-4 year old device here with annoying breakout cable / dip switches / etc that are still really expensive due to unilateral pricing). I have a hard time paying 2010 prices for the same product in 2013 no matter how good it is. Could some of those things be better than a comparably-priced interface of 2013? Sure, it's possible and more power to them for making something that stays relevant for so long.

But if competition is working properly, I can't help but think my money is likely better spent in the future/present than the past. Sorry for the rant lol.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Same on the wait, I mean, at least they are taking the time to get it right the first time.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Head

Check their website. New and revised photos. Look closely
Ausführlich: Sound Performance Lab
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Head

Check the website. New photos up.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

New photos but the death of my want for this. I knew it was too good to be true. You simply cant use your outboard with it. None. So if your entirely ITB its great. Even if you only have a few really choice pieces and 500 gear your screwed. Really disappointing
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Head

First. You can use out board gear if you have an outboard Pre. Which most folks with outboard gear do. Plus if you want to use outboard post recording you can simply route the track out through one of the line level outputs (3 and 4) into the outboard and re-record into the Crimson.
Although i agree inserts for use of outboard while tracking and using the built in pres would have been nice.
But i really like an interface that is not dependent on mixing software etc which raise concerns about longevity. My thoughts are that even if later i buy another interface i can still use this in conjuction as a great monitor controller.
Old 30th October 2013
Hello everyone,

sorry for the delay, but the latest news on CRIMSON is now online. Product overview is also available. Crimson - Product Overview and Availability

List Prices: 549 Euro, 725 USD
=====
We have terrific news for all of you interested in the Crimson! As you already know, its availability had to be postponed due to different reasons. The main being some problems we had with our suppliers, up to the point that — in some cases — we had to modify the circuit design as a result of changes in some components.

Nevertheless, we were able to use this "extra" time to incorporate some new features...
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
New photos but the death of my want for this. I knew it was too good to be true. You simply cant use your outboard with it. None. So if your entirely ITB its great. Even if you only have a few really choice pieces and 500 gear your screwed. Really disappointing
If I understand the webpage correctly, they have used the time adding some features and one of those features is that you can use the speaker-B output alternatively as an analog insert! So you can use outboard gear with it bypassing the inbuild preamps.

Crimson ? Produktübersicht und geplante Verfügbarkeit: Sound Performance Lab

Dirk
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Head

Dirk
I dont think you got it right about the inserts. See my post above. I dont think you are able to use speaker output B as an"insert" while tracking and using the inbuilt preamps.
The product info sheet means that you can send pre recorded tracks out through speaker output B (line level) to go through outboard and back into the crimson for ADC.
J
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not sure. The webpage states:
"Neue Funktionen:

Artist Mode – individuelle Abhörmischung für den Künstler (zusätzlich zur Tontechniker-Abhöre)
Talkback-Option – Talkback-Eingang für vorverstärktes Mikro, TB-Signal auf Phones 2, Auto-Dim für LS-Ausgänge

Analoge Inserts: Alternativ kann der Speakers B-Ausgang auch für das Einschleifen analoger Prozessoren genutzt werden.
iPad-Recording: USB Class 2-konform – der Crimson unterstützt HOT-PLUGGING ohne aufwändige Neustarts

I try to translate:
New Functions:
(...)
Analogue Inserts: alternatively the speaker-B outputs can be used to insert analogue processors(...).

The description of the new functions is so far only available in german I guess. And if you use only the line-In part of the inserts I guess it lies AFTER the preamp.

Dirk
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Head

Yes. I read that too. I speak German. But my interpretation of that is that they mean you can use these outputs to route pre recorded tracks through outboard gear and then bring it back into the interface ADC

The SPL rep said that on another thread. See https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9549696-post21.html
But i hope you are right and i am wrong.
J
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

And I fear, I'm wrong, but:

Aren't those ideal for outboard gear like mic-preamps:
"All four Line Inputs (rear panel) are balanced and feed the converters with
unity gain level (1:1)"

1. Two Microphone Amplifiers
2. Two Hi-Z Amplifiers
3. Four Line Inputs

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_uploa...t_Overview.pdf

You can't use all of them at the same time, but what do people exactly miss, to connect their mic-preamps and other outboard gear?

Hello from Hamburg,
Dirk
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

I'm just about to switch from an RME Babyface to an interface with more in's, and I had been thinking about the RME UC. (Old, but will do the job I need at the price point I need)

I'm now highly tempted to scrap that idea and go for the Crimson. The only thing that is holding me back is the lack of inputs. 4 analog inputs are exactly what I need, but it then means I have no scope for any future external synths I add.

Mmmmm.

Edit: Can anyone give me the dimensions? I need to see if it will fit my space.
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
4 analog inputs are exactly what I need, but it then means I have no scope for any future external synths I add..
You can add a Dual Mic pre with digital Spdif outs like the Audient Mico in order to expand the unit to 6 simultaneous inputs. You can get Art DPS 11 mic preamps with SPDIF pretty cheap second hand for eg. Plus there is also midi.

These are the dimensions:
Gehäusemaße ohne Überstand (BxHxT): 330 x 60 x 204 mm
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodybet View Post
You can add a Dual Mic pre with digital Spdif outs like the Audient Mico in order to expand the unit to 6 simultaneous inputs. You can get Art DPS 11 mic preamps with SPDIF pretty cheap second hand for eg. Plus there is also midi.

These are the dimensions:
Gehäusemaße ohne Überstand (BxHxT): 330 x 60 x 204 mm
Thanks for the dimensions. It's pretty big so i'd struggle to fit it in to my setup.

The workaround to get 6 simultaneous inputs is rather convoluted and too expensive to be worth it IMO. I'd just stick with getting an RME UC. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
The workaround to get 6 simultaneous inputs is rather convoluted and too expensive to be worth it IMO. .
I see your point. Though my thoughts on this are two fold

a) I would like to get some alternative pre's to give tracks various "character" so i will go for a pre with SPDIF outs so i can expand my inputs.
b) I may decide in the future to get an interface with more inputs/outputs (like a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) - this then means I still have the Crimson as a great monitor controller and portable interface (with Ipad connectivity).

But there are certainly cheaper options around.
j
Old 3rd November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodybet View Post
Yes. I read that too. I speak German. But my interpretation of that is that they mean you can use these outputs to route pre recorded tracks through outboard gear and then bring it back into the interface ADC

The SPL rep said that on another thread. See https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9549696-post21.html
But i hope you are right and i am wrong.
J
I asked the original question, but now another question has been posed and it would be interesting to know the answer if Speaker B can be used as a true insert to the built in pre-amps.

Since my external pre-amps have insert points it is not really a problem for me, but I did want to send some of my digitally generated material out to some analogue circuits for warming purposes, so this is now possible with the new features.
Old 3rd November 2013
Gear Maniac

Another interesting point ...

• Super low latency Mac OS X HAL plug-in driver (1ms)
• Super low latency Windows ASIO/WDM driver (1ms)
Old 6th November 2013
Gear Nut

Crimson zone, entering soon

Just purchased the Crimson to replace my MOTU Traveler. Allegedly shipping mid November. Will report back when I've spent some time with it.
Old 7th November 2013
Here for the gear

This looks like a nice little interface. Can the 4 line inputs (with external preamps) be used along with the 2 mic preamps? Basically can it do 6 tracks simultaneously?
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
This looks like a nice little interface. Can the 4 line inputs (with external preamps) be used along with the 2 mic preamps? Basically can it do 6 tracks simultaneously?
I think it's any 4 from the line inputs/Hi-Z instruments/preamps (6 with SPDIF) but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

Alright - so what is the deal here. Im an Electronic producer so multiple synths, SSL Comp, SOntec EQ and germanium mic pres and fet comp in tonelux v4. How can I incorporate these in my mixing workflow? Are the ins/outs DC coupled?
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alright - so what is the deal here. Im an Electronic producer so multiple synths, SSL Comp, SOntec EQ and germanium mic pres and fet comp in tonelux v4. How can I incorporate these in my mixing workflow? Are the ins/outs DC coupled?
I think you can insert your outboard into speakers 2 and also record 6 inputs at a time which include 2 from Spdif.

This baby is my next purchase. Already preordered.

Cheers
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just purchased the Crimson to replace my MOTU Traveler. Allegedly shipping mid November. Will report back when I've spent some time with it.
Any chance of the mini review there brother.

I would like to get your good and bad.

Cheers
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Maniac

What is the impedance value of the Hi-Z instrument inputs?
Old 21st November 2013
Gear Maniac

Shipping date at Thomann (Germany) changed again, now reporting 13.12.2013.
Old 23rd November 2013
Here for the gear

I also pre-ordered from thomann in Germany and was disappointed to see the shipping date being pushed back....again.

However I talked to someone from SPL and from what i understand they have their homework done and still hope to ship their units at the end of this month. The missing piece still is a component from an external supplier that has been overdue for quite some time now. From my understanding once these components arrive, things can move and ship pretty fast.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search