The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pag the LIVR View Post
Ableton is not always fine. I have a PC Notebook that exhibits similar problems just without a Crimson.
Live 8 is working fine. So it has to do with the Live 9 Indexer task which is constantly accessing the harddrive.
You could try the latest Live 8 version just to exclude that Live 9 is the culprit in this case.
I didn't mean that Ableton is perfect program. I understand Ableton also has many issues but my problems are keep occuring even when I lower the system performance down than normal & ending indexes which shouldn't happen because I have a quite good desktop.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

Sorry but this is misinformation. There are plenty of people using Crimson and/or Live 9 without any such issues. Could it be a combination of both within your particular setup? Certainly possible, but don't flat out blame one or the other as having "many issues" and being an "imperfect program", this just isn't the case for most of us.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

I got my Crimson in the mail today (finally!) and can't wait to hook it up at home. Problem is, it came shipped with a German plug power adapter. Anyone else in the US receive the wrong plug? I can use an adapter but I'm pretty sure they meant to include a US plug. I'm waiting to hear back from SPL.

I've heard how good the build quality is but still my expectations were exceeded when I took it out of the box. The knobs are surprisingly heavy and have this rough texture to them that makes it easy to grip. The whole thing is very large, sturdy, and very attractive. But I'll report back later on the stuff that really matters, sound and function. I've been using an Echo Audiofire 4 for the past 6 years. I also have a GAP Pre-73 MKii - I don't if I could make a fair comparison/useful comparison though.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotini View Post
I got my Crimson in the mail today
I'm very interested in this interface. Please let us know how well
it integrates. Maybe you could give some info on your system and software.
Some recent dissonant posts about the Crimson got me insecure on bying it.
SPL is solid in analog, but as "BJ" in interviews about the Crimson states, it's
their first symbiosis between a & d.

As I think I'm not the only one who got insecure about buying already, I would
like to invite other owners of the Crimson to react as well!

thanks!

Last edited by Ueberschall; 6th March 2014 at 02:29 AM..
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

deleted (accidental double post)
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugs View Post
Sorry but this is misinformation. There are plenty of people using Crimson and/or Live 9 without any such issues. Could it be a combination of both within your particular setup? Certainly possible, but don't flat out blame one or the other as having "many issues" and being an "imperfect program", this just isn't the case for most of us.
I'm just trying to explain the problems better so someone can help me out. No need to pick words up and waisting your time. If you could speak for "plenty of people' about using Ableton and Crimson you are cerntainly possible to help me out I rekon (I mean.. what are you?) What I have explained here is not mis-information. I had email discussion with SPL and they were not able to help. So I'm trying to get help and see if any other people has similar issues as mine. Plus this is not professional music-instruments review magazine something it's a forum that you can feely have discusion about any music gears. Not picking up words. Thanks for waisting your time reading this.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
I got my Crimson in the mail today (finally!) and can't wait to hook it up at home. Problem is, it came shipped with a German plug power adapter. Anyone else in the US receive the wrong plug? I can use an adapter but I'm pretty sure they meant to include a US plug. I'm waiting to hear back from SPL.

I've heard how good the build quality is but still my expectations were exceeded when I took it out of the box. The knobs are surprisingly heavy and have this rough texture to them that makes it easy to grip. The whole thing is very large, sturdy, and very attractive. But I'll report back later on the stuff that really matters, sound and function. I've been using an Echo Audiofire 4 for the past 6 years. I also have a GAP Pre-73 MKii - I don't if I could make a fair comparison/useful comparison though.

I purchased my Crimson from the UK, much much cheaper even with shipping. I bought a converter from Radio Shack and everything is grand. The ac/dc adaptor that comes with the unit handles any issue.

Additionally, I have been using my Crimson with Ableton 9 and taxing both rather hard and have had no problems other than the occasional Ableton crash, which I attribute my abuse of Ableton. Actually fewer Ableton crashes and issues since getting the Crimson. The Crimson is huge step up from my prior interface.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
I have been using my Crimson with Ableton 9
The Crimson is huge step up from my prior interface.
Hi bbman,

on what system you have A9 running?
Are you tracking audio with the Crimson as well, or is it primarily a
DA converter and monitor controller in your setup?
Are you using Crimson's midiports?

thanks!
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueberschall View Post
Hi bbman,

on what system you have A9 running?
Are you tracking audio with the Crimson as well, or is it primarily a
DA converter and monitor controller in your setup?
Are you using Crimson's midiports?

thanks!

Windows 7 I7 24Gigs RAM
I have tracked some audio without problem but primarily DA so far
I have not used the midiports yets

Used virtual midis to synch NI Traktor with Ableton also using Jack Audio and had loads of problems at first -- actually a bunch of snap crackle and pop coming from the Crimson. Once sorted all the virtual issues out no problems at all now with the Crimson handling a heavy load when I synch the two programs. My prior cards, most recently an NI Komplete 6, could never hand this load very well. I decided on the Crimson over the Audient in part because of the test on a related page where the Audient and the Crimson were compared with Ableton and a large virtual load and the Audient snap crackled and popped as at bigger buffer with the Crimson handling the load at a tighter buffer.

I actually really like the absence of an interface with the Crimson, when I thought its simplicity would be a concern. So far I can do everything I want.

You might want to reinstall the Crimson drivers. You also may want to make sure you have the lastest Ableton. I agree with the prior post, however, I would expect Ableton is the culpret rather than something inherent in the Crimson. You may want to ask Ableton, they have been helpful for me in the past with similar issues. I am confident that if there is a conflict it is an easy fix rather than something terminal.
Old 12th March 2014
Quote:
I got my USA plug from here. Its orig part

AC Plug-US Mean Well | Mouser
Old 12th March 2014
Anybody using crimson with PT 11. My setup is win7 64, 12gb ram, i7 980x.. Im new to pt 11, so im not sure if its me whose doing something
wrong..Anyone else had any success with the pro tools 11..

Sometimes when I am playing protools own vst, such as a mini grand vst, the input sound dissapear while i have it in armed record mode for playback monitoring.. There is half a second lag/latency while playing any vst..which makes it unusable. Cant lie i was frustrated trying to figure this..

Also having issues with east west libraries in standalone play mode, there is some strange cliks n pops sound like n old record pkaying. Hopefully I dont have a defective unit.. Again im not sure if Im doing something wrong cause im new with pro tools so it might not be the unit.

I did speak to spl team, they said a new driver update is in works and is coming in 2weeks.. .
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Question- anyone know how low latency can be adjusted using the ASIO drivers for Crimson vs an RME UFX? I am thinking of downgrading my UFX to a Crimson as I don't need all the I/O for my project studio.

The Crimson looks like an attractive option but it is so new there isn't a lot of info about driver reliability or latency vs other interfaces. On my Win8.1 rig Reaper reports about 3-4ms of latency using the RME ASIO drivers. I know RME is well known for reliable drivers and am wondering if SPL has done a good job on their drivers. Finding info on the Crimson is difficult but would appreciate any comparisons to there gear. Thanks.
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
Question- anyone know how low latency can be adjusted using the ASIO drivers for Crimson vs an RME UFX? I am thinking of downgrading my UFX to a Crimson as I don't need all the I/O for my project studio.

The Crimson looks like an attractive option but it is so new there isn't a lot of info about driver reliability or latency vs other interfaces. On my Win8.1 rig Reaper reports about 3-4ms of latency using the RME ASIO drivers. I know RME is well known for reliable drivers and am wondering if SPL has done a good job on their drivers. Finding info on the Crimson is difficult but would appreciate any comparisons to there gear. Thanks.
I think using ASIO with Crimson you can't adjust the latency and you don't need to as it's nearly to zero unless your computer spec isn't high enough to support Crimson..? I meant nearly to zero, not zero.
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth View Post
Anybody using crimson with PT 11. My setup is win7 64, 12gb ram, i7 980x.. Im new to pt 11, so im not sure if its me whose doing something
wrong..Anyone else had any success with the pro tools 11..

Sometimes when I am playing protools own vst, such as a mini grand vst, the input sound dissapear while i have it in armed record mode for playback monitoring.. There is half a second lag/latency while playing any vst..which makes it unusable. Cant lie i was frustrated trying to figure this..

Also having issues with east west libraries in standalone play mode, there is some strange cliks n pops sound like n old record pkaying. Hopefully I dont have a defective unit.. Again im not sure if Im doing something wrong cause im new with pro tools so it might not be the unit.

I did speak to spl team, they said a new driver update is in works and is coming in 2weeks.. .
That's really good to know they are bringing up a new driver update. Can't wait to end this ridiculous insanity. or continues.. :p
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Is anyone else having really bad issues with drivers and Pro Tools on a Windows machine?

I've got a Crimson here (borrowed), and installed the driver. In Pro Tools, the only way to change the buffer is to go into the hidden driver settings menu under Setup > Hardware > Launch Setup App. Is there no other way of getting access to this control panel?

Also, running at 96k, if i play a project, it will playback the first time, then the second time, it wont. The play and stop buttons both play at the same time, to indicate the unit isnt ready for playback, or waiting on another source/clock etc.
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Nut

Keep us posted. I'm running PT11 on Windows 8.1 and seriously considering the Crimson, but only if the drivers are solid.
Old 7th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Old 7th April 2014
Gear Maniac

That's a good review, although it seems quite vague.

Any up-to-date comments on how it's performing? Also, what will the promised Windows driver deliver? I see the most recent driver is still dated December 2013.
Old 14th April 2014
Here for the gear

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
That's a good review, although it seems quite vague.

Any up-to-date comments on how it's performing? Also, what will the promised Windows driver deliver? I see the most recent driver is still dated December 2013.
SPl hasn't deliver the new driver yet. Which I'm still suffering with Crimson. Just spent two hours rebooting computer. Really struggling and stressed. I haven't been able to feel my work is flowing b/c it keeps crash. I can't be tolerated anymore and seriously considering changing interface. But because I like the sound I might wait a bit more until the new driver. Someone said they promised the new driver is coming within 2 weeks something but I don't see it's there. I will keep post until the new driver or when I change Crimson to other interface. I hope the new driver fixes all.
Old 14th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Just to say that when I asked SPL about the new driver, they said it'll just be a fix for Pro Tools.

I might be wrong, but I think I read elsewhere that Pro Tools needs to see buffer sizes in multiples of 64.
Old 24th April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
Just to say that when I asked SPL about the new driver, they said it'll just be a fix for Pro Tools.

I might be wrong, but I think I read elsewhere that Pro Tools needs to see buffer sizes in multiples of 64.
New Mac driver up on the website now
J
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Nut

Ive had my Crimson since December and I think it may have developed a fault. This wasn't happening before and maybe I'm doing something wrong but i don't think so.

The input levels are extremely low on 1 & 2. I have to up the gain to full to get a half decent signal. Anyone else experience this?
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Nut

Heya,

I just thought I would share my experiences with the Crimson over the past few weeks. I have been out of the game for awhile, but previously I had a metric Halo ULN2 and genelec 8040's. I now own and spl crimson and Equator D5's. The speakers leave a bit to be desired at high spls in the lower registers( I shouldnt be playing them that loud anyway), but I believe the crimson is the better audio interface. It gives me same feeling listening to recordings and my own music as the metric halo did for a fraction of the price. I mainly make electronic music, I just bout a tempest a tt303 and an octatrack all of which sound great through the crimson. All of the onboard controls are fantastic. Also I am super impressed with the d5's..

Cheers,
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Head

This is info with the latest drivers from the SPL website (April 15).
"When minimum latency is required, use the Apple Class-Compliant driver, which means you should not install the SPL Crimson driver. Minimum latency is needed when playing software instruments or software guitar processors. Minimum measured roundtrip latency at 96kHz: 6.57ms"

"When maximum audio performance is required, use the SPL Crimson driver."
see attachment

So basically this was news to me - I didnt realise that there was a difference between the SPL Crimson (Core Audio) driver and not installing any driver and using the Apple class compliant driver.

See attached PDF for more info
Attached Files
File Type: pdf driver_recommendations_mac.pdf (248.6 KB, 1605 views)
Old 23rd May 2014
Gear Addict

Does anyone have any experience using the Crimson with Pro Tools 10 or 11 in Mountain Lion? I am wanting to leave behind my workhorse 002 and never look back. That pdf jodybet posted leaves me a little concerned, as I regularly use playback engines of 2048 when mixing in 10 (I am still tethered by RTAS plugins) and that isn't available for the bit accurate driver, and it seems that the bit accurate driver isn't stable in Mountain Lion from what I read.

So I am assuming the drivers are selected in the playback engine of Pro Tools, with the bit accurate driver the direct connection. When using it via core audio drivers (either SPL's or Apple's), how stable is it? I know that dense mixes in Pro Tools cause issues at 2048 buffers using the aggregate I/O - I have many sessions pushing CPU usage around 70 - 80% at 2048 buffers and these are MUCH more stable using the 002 than using the Aggregate I/O.

Also, the latency figures in that chart seem quite high. How does it compare to a 002 or Mbox 2? I am having difficulty finding conclusive information. I would love to test it myself, but there is no shop stocking them where I live, and I can save $200 by buying online anyway… it's hard to make the leap of faith at the moment. Everything else suits my needs and is giving me GAS!
Old 23rd May 2014
Gear Addict

Last edited by DarkandKurious; 23rd May 2014 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: Double post, whoops.
Old 23rd May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Succulence View Post
Just purchased the Crimson to replace my MOTU Traveler. Allegedly shipping mid November. Will report back when I've spent some time with it.
How is you expierience with the SPL Crimson??
I want to upgrade my Mbox3...
Old 26th May 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccattack View Post
Ive had my Crimson since December and I think it may have developed a fault. This wasn't happening before and maybe I'm doing something wrong but i don't think so.

The input levels are extremely low on 1 & 2. I have to up the gain to full to get a half decent signal. Anyone else experience this?
I think I read it on the manual it says line inputs routed 1:1. In my understanding there is no preamp on the 4 line inputs on the back as I experienced the same. I always had to put my synth at the maximum level plus compressor vst.

Does anyone knows what sorta preamps could go well balanced with crimson? I need something for analogue synth. I think something not too colorful would be great for me.
Old 26th May 2014
Grace Design preamps are colorless.
Old 31st May 2014
We bought two SPL Crimsons, for use on Macs, based on reviews, etc. I can't say I'm completely happy with them. They are advertised as being monitor/talkback controllers, but fall short IMHO. First, there are two sets of speaker outputs. That is fine on paper, but in use they are hobbled by the fact that, when you are in "Artist" mode, the second set only carries the "Artist" mix. And, if you want to send a balanced cue mix to a headphone amp in another room, then you can only use that second set for that purpose, thereby rendering it useless for it's intended purpose.

For talkback, it doesn't come with a mic, and requires a pre-amplified mic signal, another shortfall. In general, the way you need to switch between "Artist" mode and normal mode seems clunky and ill-thought out to me.

The overall gain cannot be controlled from the Mac directly, in contrast to many audio interfaces in this price range.

It is solidly built, but the big volume knob is not detented like SPL's big talkback boxes.

The S/PDIF input can be used to record from, but it can't be used to feed the artist's mix directly, another down side.

The driver thing is confusing, on Mac - to install or not to install, that is the question? And there is no console, on the Mac at least.

Can't complain about the sound though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search