The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPL Crimson
Old 13th June 2016
  #631
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
U shud route it inside daw. For ex.. route a track to hardware output 3/4 . 3/4 wil gonto speaker b. You can route master out to both 1/2 and 3/4 which means u get the master track on both a and b speakers simultaneously. And can be heard from both speakers at the same time. When artist mode is enAbled I think the 2nd headphone out will carry 3/4 out .
Hi Woodhouse,
thank you for the input,
what about outside of DAW?
few examples:
1. i want to connect my NI kontrol s4 MK II controller in sources trs jack l&r,or line in 3&4, or ipad in sources 3.5mm stereo jack,or cd player in sources rca inputs
2. i want to play music from a player on PC

if you push both artist mode (and A to B) (and maybe rotate monitor mix knob) do you have 4 simultaneous outputs on 1&2 and 3&4 in this situations (connecting gear in line ins or sources or just play music with a player),

would be great if you can try that for me,
if you dont have a 2nd pair of monitors maybe you can try just plugging one monitor to speakers A Left and second monitor to speakers B Right (if you have the cables) or maybe plug headphones to one of Speakers B to see if you have a the same signal as the connected monitors in Speakers A,

thanks in advance
Old 13th June 2016
  #632
Gear Nut
hi all,
i would like to use this interface for
1.produce music on a PC, working mostly ITB with projects loaded with vsts and effects, so i need proper latency,
2.use the line ins to connect 2 synths and use them in a daw,
3. occasionally plug a guitar and mic and use them in a daw,
4.use 2 line ins or sources to connect my NI kontrol s4 mkII controler,
5.use it as a default interface also for listening to music,
6.use it as default inteface for listening my ipad connected in 3.5mm setereo jack in sources or cd player connected in rca input in sources
7.use the outputs Speakers A to my Dynaudios and Speakers B (and S/pdif out) tomy AV receiver that has 5.1 speakers configuration connected,

this is how i used my Focusrite Saffire that i just sold:
connected via firewire i was satisfied with the latency on every project that i worked on,
Saffire had two line ins so i had to switch cables and that's why i'm searching now at least 4 ins interface to have everything connected at once,
i had outputs 1&2 connected to the Dynaudios ,3&4 connected to the AV receiver, s/pdif out connected to the AV receiver, 5&6 connected to active PA Speakers,
(on the crimson i know that i dont have 5&6 output but that's ok)
i could turn on any of these speakers by desire and needs and they have signal,
there was not a restriction to use all outputs at once if needed so i could play all these speakers at once simultaneously playing the same signal (line ins,DAW,music from PC,youtube....) if wanted,
i'm searching for the same configuration i had with the Saffire in the new hopefully better quality interface,

can i to all this with the Crimson?

thanks in advance,
Old 18th June 2016
  #633
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovanja View Post
hi all,
i would like to use this interface for
1.produce music on a PC, working mostly ITB with projects loaded with vsts and effects, so i need proper latency,
2.use the line ins to connect 2 synths and use them in a daw,
3. occasionally plug a guitar and mic and use them in a daw,
4.use 2 line ins or sources to connect my NI kontrol s4 mkII controler,
5.use it as a default interface also for listening to music,
6.use it as default inteface for listening my ipad connected in 3.5mm setereo jack in sources or cd player connected in rca input in sources
7.use the outputs Speakers A to my Dynaudios and Speakers B (and S/pdif out) tomy AV receiver that has 5.1 speakers configuration connected,

this is how i used my Focusrite Saffire that i just sold:
connected via firewire i was satisfied with the latency on every project that i worked on,
Saffire had two line ins so i had to switch cables and that's why i'm searching now at least 4 ins interface to have everything connected at once,
i had outputs 1&2 connected to the Dynaudios ,3&4 connected to the AV receiver, s/pdif out connected to the AV receiver, 5&6 connected to active PA Speakers,
(on the crimson i know that i dont have 5&6 output but that's ok)
i could turn on any of these speakers by desire and needs and they have signal,
there was not a restriction to use all outputs at once if needed so i could play all these speakers at once simultaneously playing the same signal (line ins,DAW,music from PC,youtube....) if wanted,
i'm searching for the same configuration i had with the Saffire in the new hopefully better quality interface,

can i to all this with the Crimson?

thanks in advance,


hi any input from crimson owners would be welcomed,
especially experiences regarding:
1. drivers,latency working ITB in a project loaded with vsts under windows 7/64,
2. tracking and recording external synths in a daw under windows 7/64,
3. using speakers A and speakers B outputting the same signal at the same time (signal from connected gear in line ins 3&4 or sources jack,rca,mini jack, or just play music with a player from the PC),
thanks
Old 15th July 2016
  #634
Here for the gear
 

Hi folks, I've read through most of the threads on Crimson but couldn't find (or just missed) any info on how it handles in FL Studio. I read driver stability varies a lot between different DAWs and operating systems, and FL isn't mentioned on their website among the "tested" programs, so I'm wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience?
Old 16th July 2016
  #635
Here for the gear
 

Hi!

Have just purchased the Crimson and all is working perfectly except s/pdif.
I have hooked up my Axe Fx ii with both input and output and I can send the audio out to the axe fx and hear it through the axe fx headphone output.
I can also hear the output from the axe fx when pressing the s/pdif button on the Crimson, BUT if I try to monitor s/pdif in Cubase I only hear a high pitched tone (consistent high pitch tone, no crackling).

I have configured Cubase with one stereo input on channels 5 & 6, and one stereo output on channels 5 & 6.
I have one track that uses the channel 1 input and sends it output to the axe fx stereo ouput, and one track that uses the axe fx stereo output and sends it to the normal stereo output.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be very appreciated, I have searched for hours to try to find anyone with the similar problem.
Old 16th September 2016
  #636
I just wanted to say, that I'm using Crimson since early 2015 (January). This is excellent piece of gear and when I was buying it I had no idea how many great functionalities it had. Back then, I had no hardware setup whatsoever. Everything's changed and now i'm slowly building my hardware studio, and crimson is the core of the setup. It sounds great and the build quality is very nice. So it's a big yes for this piece! It's one of those gear for me, that you buy and use for years (at least in my case). Hovewer, I have second unit. The first one was faulty with the volume know, i discovered it after 4 months, but the seller exchanged it for another one. Works flawlessly. Also tested in club environment, I played several live acts using it.
Old 1 week ago
  #637
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno1959 View Post
Hi guys

After much thinking, reading & researching i finally decided for the SPL Crimson as my interface so as promised, here i am to post my impressions on using the Crimson..
Im NOT an experienced home recorder/mixer, am a Mac user & since what i do is pretty basic stuff, i'm more than happy using GarageBand…

The pros :
1 - If not interested in using the higher sample rates, you don't need to install drivers on your Mac…
2 - The Crimson's pres sound incredible - even though i must admit i haven't lots of experience with many other interfaces
3 - The headphone amps are ACE - way better than my Roksan Kandy K2 Hi-Fi amp… & drive effortlessly my Sennheiser HD215 to WAY LOUDER than i'll EVER NEED ! But…. loud AND crisp, defined- PERFECT !
4 - It's DEAD EASY to use…
5 - LOVE the form factor…


If curious have a listen at some recordings i made. The basses used are Spector Rebop's 4 & 5 string , the 4 stringer w/ Emg BQC preamp running at 18V & Emg 35DC pu's, the 5er uses standard Spector TonePump preamp & Emg 40TW pu's
The effects board a TC Electronic Nova System which i tweaked for my basses
The whole then recorded in GarageBand, just a tad of compression, sometimes a little EQ & basically that's it…
On the website it's all in .mp3 & i can assure you at home on my stereo using the Crimson as an interface between iMac & Hi-Fi, it sounds easily 20 times better, if that's possible that is ;-)

"Rainy R'nB" | Blues backing track

"Funkin' Rockin' Wah" | Rock backing track

"We Have Only Just Started" | Rock backing track

"Kicking Around" | Punk-Rock backing track

"Heart" | Jazz backing track


One major niggle though even if easy to solve :
It happens at times that you launch GarageBand & when you record something, you can hear quite a bit of pops & crackles !
All you need to do is to delete what you recorded, quit GarageBand & re-launch it & PRESTO no more pops & crackles !

Now i laugh about it but when it first happened i went bat**** checking EVERY cable, every bass, effects, wall sockets, USB cables, you name it…

Mind you, this DOESN'T happen often & i couldn't be happier w/ my purchase

Cheers guys...
Thea mixes sound muddy. Is it the fault of the interface or the mix engineer?
Old 1 week ago
  #638
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno1959 View Post
Hi guys

After much thinking, reading & researching i finally decided for the SPL Crimson as my interface so as promised, here i am to post my impressions on using the Crimson..
Im NOT an experienced home recorder/mixer, am a Mac user & since what i do is pretty basic stuff, i'm more than happy using GarageBand…

The pros :
1 - If not interested in using the higher sample rates, you don't need to install drivers on your Mac…
2 - The Crimson's pres sound incredible - even though i must admit i haven't lots of experience with many other interfaces
3 - The headphone amps are ACE - way better than my Roksan Kandy K2 Hi-Fi amp… & drive effortlessly my Sennheiser HD215 to WAY LOUDER than i'll EVER NEED ! But…. loud AND crisp, defined- PERFECT !
4 - It's DEAD EASY to use…
5 - LOVE the form factor…


If curious have a listen at some recordings i made. The basses used are Spector Rebop's 4 & 5 string , the 4 stringer w/ Emg BQC preamp running at 18V & Emg 35DC pu's, the 5er uses standard Spector TonePump preamp & Emg 40TW pu's
The effects board a TC Electronic Nova System which i tweaked for my basses
The whole then recorded in GarageBand, just a tad of compression, sometimes a little EQ & basically that's it…
On the website it's all in .mp3 & i can assure you at home on my stereo using the Crimson as an interface between iMac & Hi-Fi, it sounds easily 20 times better, if that's possible that is ;-)

"Rainy R'nB" | Blues backing track

"Funkin' Rockin' Wah" | Rock backing track

"We Have Only Just Started" | Rock backing track

"Kicking Around" | Punk-Rock backing track

"Heart" | Jazz backing track


One major niggle though even if easy to solve :
It happens at times that you launch GarageBand & when you record something, you can hear quite a bit of pops & crackles !
All you need to do is to delete what you recorded, quit GarageBand & re-launch it & PRESTO no more pops & crackles !

Now i laugh about it but when it first happened i went bat**** checking EVERY cable, every bass, effects, wall sockets, USB cables, you name it…

Mind you, this DOESN'T happen often & i couldn't be happier w/ my purchase

Cheers guys...
Thea mixes sound muddy. Is it the fault of the interface or the mix engineer?
These mixes sound muddy
Old 1 week ago
  #639
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNewlove View Post
Thea mixes sound muddy. Is it the fault of the interface or the mix engineer?
These mixes sound muddy
''Engineer'' ?? What engineer ? I wish....
Yup, my inability to record !
As I said in my post ''...2 - The Crimson's pres sound incredible ...''
I make these recordings as a sketch book to then later give them to the other band members for us to pick up the parts and play them, etc.. not to make perfect mixes as I actually don't like recording, it bores the hell out of me.

In the meantime I'm happy to report the pops and crackles are gone - maybe I had a bad cable ? Some change in the OS ? No clue but am pretty happy about that.
Old 1 week ago
  #640
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno1959 View Post
''Engineer'' ?? What engineer ? I wish....
Yup, my inability to record !
As I said in my post ''...2 - The Crimson's pres sound incredible ...''
I make these recordings as a sketch book to then later give them to the other band members for us to pick up the parts and play them, etc.. not to make perfect mixes as I actually don't like recording, it bores the hell out of me.

In the meantime I'm happy to report the pops and crackles are gone - maybe I had a bad cable ? Some change in the OS ? No clue but am pretty happy about that.
not judging, just asking. Cos am interested in the crimson and want to ensure I don't buy something unable. If it's this muddy then I look elsewhere
Old 1 week ago
  #641
Here for the gear
 

I understand, no offence taken whatsoever !
But at the end of the day you do have a thread of 22 pages of various people saying how good it sounds.
I'd say that's a pretty good reference to the machine's habilities
Listening to music from my iMac via the Crimson connected to my Roksan Kandy amplifier and B&W floor standing speakers it just sounds fantastic playing music recorded in lossless formats - obviously NOT recorded by me !!
Old 1 week ago
  #642
Gear Maniac
The pres in the Crimson are not muddy. They are not as antiseptic sounding as the Apogee and before that, the RME I'd been using but they are certainly not muddy.


The previous interfaces I had used before the Crimson were all much more expensive. I prefer the Crimson. But....

you can't beat RME for drivers that provide minimal latency. That's my only complaint about the Crimson.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump