The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 21st September 2015
Gear Maniac
Just bought a Crimson, but it will have to go back as one of the mic gain pots is scratchy - Grrrr

Apart from that I am liking it very much. Love it as a monitor controller too.
Old 22nd September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybabes View Post
Just bought a Crimson, but it will have to go back as one of the mic gain pots is scratchy - Grrrr

Apart from that I am liking it very much. Love it as a monitor controller too.
About 10 months in, the main volume control on mine started scratching, used some Servisol Super 10 on it but it soon came back. Currently using some Deoxit Dn5 which seems to be better but early days. Certainly shouldn`t be there from day 1 as in your case though.

Some other thoughts on the Crimson a year on:

Good
Really like the quality of the D/A converters

Good / ok
The build seems to be good apart from the buttons, even though they have been ok so far they still don`t fill me with confidence.

Could Be Better
I`ve found the audio output to be pretty hot, as in too hot to reasonably keep the volume at the recommended 8 O`clock to 2 O`clock (the higher sounds better to me with less `bass-bloom`) . Fortunately my ts107 subs have a 15dB attenuators on them that seems to bring it back to a more manageable level, otherwise I was having to use a passive controller as an extra gain stage between outputs and active monitors, which seemed to defeat the monitor control functionality of the Crimson.

Needs investigation
The driver seems stable but doesn`t seem to remember custom latency settings on restarting windows 7 64bit. It does seem to remember if you choose one of the presets. I need to investigate further as couldn`t find anything on this on quick search of manual. Maybe I`ll email SPL, they were helpful before when I contacted them (a certain plus there!).

Last edited by 4tune; 22nd September 2015 at 05:35 PM..
Old 22nd September 2015
Gear Nut

Anyone know how the DA on this unit compares to some high end converters like the benchmark DAC-1, Lavry, Mytek...Interested if the DA on this unit is mastering grade.
Old 25th September 2015
Im facing yet another problem with the crimson (or is it the cables?)
When I record with dynamic mics I always get a strange whistle noise in the recording.. checked witg sm57 and sm7b. It also happens sometimes with the condensor mics. Not always . Why could be happening?
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Nut

so... SPL Crimson or ID22?
which card more stable on Win7?
i read SPL Crimson have horrible win7 drivers and ID22 drivers much better.
what about instrumental ins and pres?
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodrive View Post
The DIs on the Crimson are the best I've heard on an interface. I even prefer them to a Demeter Tube DI.

Evidently the drivers were poor in the beginning but since an update over a year ago they're what I would call average, meaning not as good as RME but about the same as most other interfaces. I've not had a problem with them.

I use mine with W7 and have had no issues.
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
The DIs on the Crimson are the best I've heard on an interface. I even prefer them to a Demeter Tube DI.

Evidently the drivers were poor in the beginning but since an update over a year ago they're what I would call average, meaning not as good as RME but about the same as most other interfaces. I've not had a problem with them.

I use mine with W7 and have had no issues.
thank you very much!
now im waiting a courier with my Crimson!
Old 20th January 2016
Quote:
As the chap says above, the drivers did start out with some issues but the last update was superb and cleared up practically everything. Been running superbly with no issues at all on my Win7 32-bit system.

In fact, they run so well that I had a stupid moment today. Loaded up Reaper to play some DI guitar, set up the effects how I wanted, but heard this odd chorused sound. Switched all the FX off, still heard it. Looked at the new pedals I was testing out with a quizzical eye... and then the penny dropped. I still had Audiomulch open with an audio input from the same DI port on the Crimson going.

In short, the Crimson drivers were working perfectly sending the same audio input to two different DAWs at the same time. No clicks or crackles or wibblywobbly moments. The only fail was my brain
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
As the chap says above, the drivers did start out with some issues but the last update was superb and cleared up practically everything. Been running superbly with no issues at all on my Win7 32-bit system.

In fact, they run so well that I had a stupid moment today. Loaded up Reaper to play some DI guitar, set up the effects how I wanted, but heard this odd chorused sound. Switched all the FX off, still heard it. Looked at the new pedals I was testing out with a quizzical eye... and then the penny dropped. I still had Audiomulch open with an audio input from the same DI port on the Crimson going.

In short, the Crimson drivers were working perfectly sending the same audio input to two different DAWs at the same time. No clicks or crackles or wibblywobbly moments. The only fail was my brain
thank you very much, Heartfeltdawn.
Now Im more calm
next morning i will do some tests with my Crimson
and i using Reaper too, godsent DAW
Old 21st January 2016
I cannot recommend the unit enough. This comment is empty without any backing it up etc.

The DA/AD, preamps, ease of use, I could go on about the technical side of the Crimson, but I want to rave about its sound more than anything. The preamps, as has been pointed out on 3rd party reviews, are worth the price alone.

I have a treated room, monitors are Focal Twin 6BEs. I've recently had the following three units in over the last few weeks to compare and possibly add to the studio due to larger projects... Prism Sound Titan, RME UFX, Motu 1248......

3 great pro units, all with their pluses and minuses in comparison to each other, but even the Titan (the most detailed) didn't provide the balance of detail and musicality that the Crimson does. Hyperbole? Not in my opinion. The Crimson just provides such great detail yet has an analogue sound that invites you to listen and make music (well, when I'm making my own), but it's equally great for mixing music. It isn't forgiving of not so great tracking or mixes etc., neither are the Focals.

I've been in touch with SPL, and have pressed them about making a larger interface, or at the least a DAC. The SPL sound is just my preferred out of all I've heard (and not just the 3 interfaces I've heard). As ever, YMMV.
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speranza View Post
I cannot recommend the unit enough. This comment is empty without any backing it up etc.

The DA/AD, preamps, ease of use, I could go on about the technical side of the Crimson, but I want to rave about its sound more than anything. The preamps, as has been pointed out on 3rd party reviews, are worth the price alone.

I have a treated room, monitors are Focal Twin 6BEs. I've recently had the following three units in over the last few weeks to compare and possibly add to the studio due to larger projects... Prism Sound Titan, RME UFX, Motu 1248......

3 great pro units, all with their pluses and minuses in comparison to each other, but even the Titan (the most detailed) didn't provide the balance of detail and musicality that the Crimson does. Hyperbole? Not in my opinion. The Crimson just provides such great detail yet has an analogue sound that invites you to listen and make music (well, when I'm making my own), but it's equally great for mixing music. It isn't forgiving of not so great tracking or mixes etc., neither are the Focals.

I've been in touch with SPL, and have pressed them about making a larger interface, or at the least a DAC. The SPL sound is just my preferred out of all I've heard (and not just the 3 interfaces I've heard). As ever, YMMV.
Wow against the prism thats something.
I agree about the sound. Its awesome.
But the crimson driver hangs sometimes.
I wish they would rectify it.
And I hope they make a bigger unit of this with 6 mic pres and 6 line ins
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
Wow against the prism thats something.
I agree about the sound. Its awesome.
But the crimson driver hangs sometimes.
I wish they would rectify it.
And I hope they make a bigger unit of this with 6 mic pres and 6 line ins
I can see why people would read my comment as laughable, and so be it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Crimson wipes the floor with the Titan. It doesn't. I can't even argue, objectively, that it's better, for 'better' is undefinable here in such a conversation. The Crimson's stereo field and headroom are enticing, as are the Titan's. The Titan reveals, arguably, a smidgen more detail, the lower end could arguably be called tighter. As I said, though, the trade off is in musicality to me. The SPL just has something 'musical' about it. Many refer to that musicality as 'analogue', but perhaps that's unfair to refer/define it as that. If it left other important areas wanting, then I'd not want to use it, however it ticks every box (IMO) as I've mentioned above. I can see why the Titan (and Prism units) would be up there in the mastering chains etc. I wouldn't hesitate in mastering on the Crimson though, ITB that is.

As regards drivers, when I had all the units in, I tested some fairly heavy projects (VSTi and FX heavy, Kontakt heavy sample instruments too) to see how they compared. The UFX, Crimson and Motu 1248 were all about the same in terms of latency prior to the pops starting - (I was running the UFX under firewire, not USB). The Titan, well, best not mention that. Since the Crimson's last driver update, I have no issues at all with it hanging, or with latency more than any other unit.

I wonder if there's a conflict elsewhere in your system?
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
I can see why people would read my comment as laughable, and so be it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Crimson wipes the floor with the Titan. It doesn't. I can't even argue, objectively, that it's better, for 'better' is undefinable here in such a conversation. The Crimson's stereo field and headroom are enticing, as are the Titan's. The Titan reveals, arguably, a smidgen more detail, the lower end could arguably be called tighter. As I said, though, the trade off is in musicality to me. The SPL just has something 'musical' about it. Many refer to that musicality as 'analogue', but perhaps that's unfair to refer/define it as that. If it left other important areas wanting, then I'd not want to use it, however it ticks every box (IMO) as I've mentioned above. I can see why the Titan (and Prism units) would be up there in the mastering chains etc. I wouldn't hesitate in mastering on the Crimson though, ITB that is.

As regards drivers, when I had all the units in, I tested some fairly heavy projects (VSTi and FX heavy, Kontakt heavy sample instruments too) to see how they compared. The UFX, Crimson and Motu 1248 were all about the same in terms of latency prior to the pops starting - (I was running the UFX under firewire, not USB). The Titan, well, best not mention that. Since the Crimson's last driver update, I have no issues at all with it hanging, or with latency more than any other unit.

The driver hangs sometimes when in daw. so it has to be improved for Windows compatibility.
I work in 96/24 . It could also be the system itself but either ways I feel terribly limited . I want to and have the skills to mix better compared to what I can do now with such an extremely draggy experience.
A project which should take 2 days to complete takes me 2 weeks. Most of the mixes end up with imperfections coz I cant work properly. Its really frustrating and limiting my career and income.
Crimson may not be the culprit here but anyway this is my frustrated daily life
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
The driver hangs sometimes when in daw. so it has to be improved for Windows compatibility.
I work in 96/24 . It could also be the system itself but either ways I feel terribly limited . I want to and have the skills to mix better compared to what I can do now with such an extremely draggy experience.
A project which should take 2 days to complete takes me 2 weeks. Most of the mixes end up with imperfections coz I cant work properly. Its really frustrating and limiting my career and income.
Crimson may not be the culprit here but anyway this is my frustrated daily life
So as not to detail the thread, I'll message you in case I can be of assistance etc. You never know....
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Crimson has arrived.
but after installing drivers - no sound thru monitors or headphones.
card sounding only in Artist mode ON :(
that im doing wrong? :(
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Crimson has arrived.
Driver from the spl website?
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Crimson has arrived.
Have you tried it in standalone mode? Plug in an instrument/mic/ipod etc. and see if you get some sound in either your monitors or 'phones.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Driver from the spl website?
yes. last driver SPL_Crimson_2.9.86.9 and FWUpdater_SPL_Crimson_v1.0.9
from Drivers
so unhappy now
WTF :(
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Have you tried it in standalone mode? Plug in an instrument/mic/ipod etc. and see if you get some sound in either your monitors or 'phones.
I will try it now,..

BTW tested old USB sound card - all sounds good.
problem in the Crimson :(
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Speranza, how to activate standalone mode for that test?

i just plug-out USB cable frome Crimson - standalone is it?

now i tested - plugged guitar in instrumental (tested line input too) input - no sound thru headphones or monitors.
but indicators of an input signal speaks about that the signal comes to the card and everything is OK.

card will be return to store?
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:

I've had a chance to try the ID14 and ID22 alongside my Crimson. The Audients are a bit brighter, perhaps a tad clearer, but the Crimson is the most enjoyable to listen to. It just works and it still blows my mind that I've got a £300 audio interface and monitor controller than sounds this way when my first audio interface, the venerable Soundblaster Platinum back in 2000, cost me approaching £200.

No hangs at all with the driver here at all. I've had that driver running audio in Reaper, Audiomulch, Audacity, and Spark 2 with a Youtube video in Chrome and some desktop WAVs running in MPC-HC. It sounded horrific but the system kept running perfectly.
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Crimson has arrived.
This is how mine is set up:

DAW Returns: 1/2 is engaged, 3/4 is not engaged.

Artist knob: turned fully colockwise (DAW/Sources/Dig In)

-What DAW are you using?
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is how mine is set up:

DAW Returns: 1/2 is engaged, 3/4 is not engaged.

Artist knob: turned fully colockwise (DAW/Sources/Dig In)

-What DAW are you using?
now used sittings like your - no differens. no sound again.

i using reaper and win7 64bit.

problem also - music playing in a player but no sound too.
also also I exposed Crimson as the sound device by default in settings Windows
and too I made in the media player. result: no sound thru headphones or monitors but artist mode - is ok.
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Speranza, how to activate standalone mode for that test?

i just plug-out USB cable frome Crimson - standalone is it?

now i tested - plugged guitar in instrumental (tested line input too) input - no sound thru headphones or monitors.
but indicators of an input signal speaks about that the signal comes to the card and everything is OK.

card will be return to store?
Yes, unplug the USB, and it will be stand alone.

When you plug in the guitar into 1 or 2, you need to also press down the "Analogue Inputs 1/2". Also, turn the Monitor Mix knob all the way counterclockwise/to the left.
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
now used sittings like your - no differens. no sound again.

i using reaper and win7 64bit.

problem also - music playing in a player but no sound too.
also also I exposed Crimson as the sound device by default in settings Windows
and too I made in the media player. result: no sound thru headphones or monitors but artist mode - is ok.
OK, so in the Window control panel for Sound I have the following:

Playback - Speakers (Crimson as default device)
Recording - Line In

In Reaper, enable inputs 1-6 and output range 1 to 6.
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

thank you guys very much
i dont know what helped but now all sounds good
i think is a monitor mix knob - now it full right and all is OK.
big sorry for this fake alarm huh...

I continue to research my savage Crimson...
Old 21st January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
OK, so in the Window control panel for Sound I have the following:

Playback - Speakers (Crimson as default device)
Recording - Line In

In Reaper, enable inputs 1-6 and output range 1 to 6.
thank you for Reaper info. it will help.
Old 21st January 2016
Glad you got it sorted. That Monitor Mix knob has thrown a few people initially. Once you get the hang of the unit, it all makes great sense.

By the way, there's a Crimson 2 on the way, but not with expanded inputs etc. It just improves on a few issues they feel people haven't been happy with.
Old 21st January 2016
Quote:
Glad you got it sorted. That Monitor Mix knob has thrown a few people initially. Once you get the hang of the unit, it all makes great sense.

By the way, there's a Crimson 2 on the way, but not with expanded inputs etc. It just improves on a few issues they feel people haven't been happy with.
Are there any links to this? I'm interested to see what they're looking at.
Old 21st January 2016
Unfortunately there aren't. I've had a discussion with SPL over on Twitter about it. There's no time frame currently being given. They may reveal something at Namm....?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search