The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 23rd November 2013
Here for the gear

Has anyone in the US got one yet? Or heard of definitive timelines of availability, in particular from Vintage King?...
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

The drivers are up on their site so perhaps next is the manual.

Frontendaudio also quote that it should be in stock by the 20th Dec so I figure now that they are on the way.

Payed for mine from Sweetwater a few weeks ago so I am really looking forward to this baby under my xmas tree.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Payed for mine from Sweetwater a few weeks ago so I am really looking forward to this baby under my xmas tree.

Cheers
i like many other i am sure would greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts once you get it.
thanks in advance
j
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Thomann Germany (same country as SPL) now reporting shipment due to arrive on 16.12.2013
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Any chance of the mini review there brother.

I would like to get your good and bad.

Cheers
Front End Audio says it should be shipping December 20th so I'm still waiting! Mini (hopefully full) review coming in the new year it looks like.
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Head

They have some FAQ's up now and a reference to the manual coming in a few days. Given that Thomann only pushed the due date over the weekend I expect this is realistic this time. I hope. In any case i dont have the cash to get one quite yet but keen to hear thoughts of course. I will have a look on some German language forums to see if anyone has some initial impressions.
j
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
What is the impedance value of the Hi-Z instrument inputs?
Bump. Is it 1 Mohm?
Old 18th December 2013
Gear Addict

Hi all.
Anyone get to try out one of these yet?

I never even heard about this unit and the Audient id22 until now. How do they compare to the RME Babyface and Apogee Duet 2?

EDIT: Oh, just saw that post above saying it's pushed back to the 20th...
Old 20th December 2013
Here for the gear

Just to let those of you waiting know: Apparently this time the release date is real as my pre-ordered Crimson has just been shipped from Thomann (Germany).
Old 20th December 2013
Deleted #255447
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

JustMusic in Germany have them in stock and directly in their shops in Berlin and Hamburg.

Dirk
Old 20th December 2013
Gear Head

Checked one out at Just Music in Berlin yesterday. Excellent build quality. Nice big format. Not cramped. Gunna get one on Monday.
Also check this out. Very useful info about how to use. Super flexible.
Anwendungen: Sound Performance Lab
Old 21st December 2013
Lives for gear

Oh, I am interested in these. Should be a nice combination of monitor controller + something that apparently lets me play my synths even with the computer switched off, if I'm correct. Any idea how its sound quality, stabilty etc. will compare to an RME Fireface 400?
Old 21st December 2013
Gear Nut

Sound quality is very nice, compared to my apogee duet 2 the stereo image seems wider and frequency wise it's a little less hyped in the highs and lows. Really like it so far.
Old 21st December 2013
Lives for gear

Just waiting on mine to ship from Sweetwater USA .

I'm told maybe another week as it may have to go from SPL usa . Hanging out so I ordered and shipped the volca series as well.
Have to have something to play with for chrissie( xmas ) and I don't mean my weener.

A lot of info is up on the SPL site including mini manual and some killer ways to use it.

Cheers
Old 21st December 2013
Here for the gear

Just received my unit this morning - very impressed with the build quality. One might say it looks boring, but let me offer a better description: Classy. I prefer plain, solid, simple design. Solid metal and weight. Quality controls, buttons, knobs. It's all there.

Though I didn't work with it in a DAW yet, driver support already seems very solid: small lightweight driver, flawlessly working under OS X Mavericks - as I had a Lexicon U42S before, a working device under the current OS version already is a step up. Furthermore the driver isn't even necessary - the device is class compliant and works via CoreAudio out of the box. SPL promises to deliver better latency with their own driver - we'll see about that. it's also needed for sample rates above 96K as CoreAudio is limited to that sample rate.

Currently I'm enjoying an extended listening session in a german tandem with my pair of Neumann KH120 - of course the following observations and impressions are just nuances, but in my opinion the sound is on the warmer side, very pleasing and less harsh than my previous Lexicon and TC Electronics units. I agree with the user above - the stereo image seems to be slightly wider, again this is very pleasing to my ears. The sound is not colored though, overall it feels very linear/correct/flat - flaws in a mix are very noticeable. Very satisfied with these impressions.

Naturally I still have to actually use the device with my DAW projects, but so far the Crimson is off to a very good and promising start.
Old 21st December 2013
Lives for gear

Does the Crimson have a built-in talkback mic? And can you bypass the preamps if you have an external pre? Thanks.
Old 21st December 2013
Lives for gear
Can someone report back on DAW round trip latency at a buffer of 128 and 256 at 24/44.1?
Old 21st December 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks Thirdsun for your mini review.

Keep them coming guys.

Cheers
Old 22nd December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
Can someone report back on DAW round trip latency at a buffer of 128 and 256 at 24/44.1?
And also mention the lowest buffer settings and VSTi performance
Old 22nd December 2013
Here for the gear

I attached some latency values from Ableton Live. What I'm not sure about is weather those are exact measurements or just estimates by Ableton. Can someone clarify?

I'm sorry if that is not the right way to measure latency but I do most of my work with with virtual instruments in the box and just occasionally have a friend with his guitar over to record something. Let me know if there's a better way to approach this.
Attached Thumbnails
SPL Crimson-bildschirmfoto-2013-12-22-um-11.50.19.png   SPL Crimson-bildschirmfoto-2013-12-22-um-11.51.58.png   SPL Crimson-bildschirmfoto-2013-12-22-um-11.54.12.png   SPL Crimson-bildschirmfoto-2013-12-22-um-11.54.29.png   SPL Crimson-bildschirmfoto-2013-12-22-um-11.57.24.png  

Old 22nd December 2013
Gear Head

in the FAQ's on the website "known issues" they are working on they say "Latency values shown in a host program’s hardware configuration set-up are higher than in reality"
So maybe worth keeping in mind.
I will pick one up tomorrow but sadly due to Christmas commitments won't get to do much testing till around 27th. Will post some stuff then
j
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

They look pretty high - at 128 on my 15 year old MH 2882 are heaps better, but as SPL have stated they are actually lower in reality. So we are none the wiser really
Attached Thumbnails
SPL Crimson-screen-shot-2013-12-23-10.00.42-am.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

And it wont go down the 64 samples its figure is around the 100 samples mark I'd say but you cant have in between figures unfortunately. Pretty good for something about half my age
Old 23rd December 2013
Gear Nut

hrrmmmm

I was somewhat discouraged to read that the specs (dynamic range specifically) on the Crimson converters are NOT the same as on the Madison as SPL has been claiming (105 unweighted for Crimson vs 115 a-weighted for Madison). Even adjusting for the a-weighting leaves a good 7db difference.
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

I intend using mine for more on the analogue side of things than recording via USB to a DAW.

The monitoring, line inputs,preamps, spdif are the most important for me.

I mainly use keys and drum machines and go straight to Tascam DP-32.

My Korg Volcas also arrived today so some more analogue goodness.

Haven't heard of 2 many people in USA receiving their Crimsons yet.

Seems like SPL is looking after European customers first.

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Succulence View Post
I was somewhat discouraged to read that the specs (dynamic range specifically) on the Crimson converters are NOT the same as on the Madison as SPL has been claiming (105 unweighted for Crimson vs 115 a-weighted for Madison). Even adjusting for the a-weighting leaves a good 7db difference.
are you sure about that one? just few days ago i exchanged email with SPL team, they said, its infact same converters as madison. regardless, im sure they would be awesome same specs or not.
Old 23rd December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
And it wont go down the 64 samples its figure is around the 100 samples mark I'd say but you cant have in between figures unfortunately. Pretty good for something about half my age
64 samples is the maximum I use for tracking.
Old 23rd December 2013
Gear Head

at 96 kHz with a Buffer of 128 samples I get 9.2 ms round trip latency (6.3 ms Output).
this is in Logic Pro X using the SPL Crimson (Bit Accurate) driver rather than Core Audio

see screenshots for other values. Wont be able to do much testing for a few days.

But as we know these may not be accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
SPL Crimson-screen-shot-2013-12-23-9.30.29-pm.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

I don't track instruments in the traditional sense. I have no acoustic instruments or spaces to deal with
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search