The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 30th December 2014
Lives for gear

The latest driver for Mac 3.03 doesn´t recognise MIDI ins and outs on my system.
Old 16th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerbox View Post
Q: I often find myself pushing the preamp inputs well over 1-2 o'clock. Sometimes even up to around 4 o'clock. Do you guys ever have to go to such extremes?
I was thinking of getting a clean boost pedal since all my guitars have vintage low output pups.
Old 17th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
I was thinking of getting a clean boost pedal since all my guitars have vintage low output pups.
Could be a good idea. I'd recommend the MXR Micro Amp, a super clean op-amp boost capable of producing up to +26dB(!) of gain.
If you're somewhat handy with a soldering iron you could easily build one for dirt cheap money.
Old 17th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Could be a good idea. I'd recommend the MXR Micro Amp, a super clean op-amp boost capable of producing up to +26dB(!) of gain.
If you're somewhat handy with a soldering iron you could easily build one for dirt cheap money.
I was looking at an Xotic pedal.
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear
Keely has a NAMM special deal for their mini Katana. A chromed one with rubber cap for the knob and a NAMM T Shirt

Michael
Old 21st January 2015
Gear Maniac
Hey all,

**What latency (rtl) are you getting on the Crimson?

Especially: Electric guitar tracking through amp sim (ex S-gear or similar)

Subjective feel
Or data tested (buffer size & rtl in ms.).

Post some system info too. (Mac or pc, at the least)
+ which plugin(s)
avoid look ahead stuff of course.

More detail is better, but whatever makes it easy to post

I'll keep track and post a summary after a bit.

Thx much
Phil
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Nut

Just ordered my Crimson from Europe.. Hoping the PSU works in Canada. Doubt it. Anyone have recommendations for a decent PSU and USB cable for the Crimson? Thinking I'll just use the usb from my quad capture.
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camer138 View Post
Just ordered my Crimson from Europe.. Hoping the PSU works in Canada. Doubt it. Anyone have recommendations for a decent PSU and USB cable for the Crimson? Thinking I'll just use the usb from my quad capture.
External Power Supply, Input 100–240V AC/50–60 Hz; Output 12V DC/1,5A
Internal Power Supplies: Audio: +/-17V, Digital: +5V and +3,3V

The power supply will work, the only thing you might need is a kind of adapter, 'cause here in Germany we use different plugs.
A kind of "travel adapter" for around 3,- or 4,-.

Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Strange noise with latest drivers when switching to Artist mode.
Old 21st March 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
like digital whissling? me 2
Old 21st March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
Hey Im hearing a whistling when my subwoofer is connected but without the subwoofer there is no whistle. Just to make sure, do you get it always? Do you use a sub?
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes.Anything else seems solid.Think MIDI Jitter is less in the update.
Old 22nd March 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
External Power Supply, Input 100–240V AC/50–60 Hz; Output 12V DC/1,5A
Internal Power Supplies: Audio: +/-17V, Digital: +5V and +3,3V

The power supply will work, the only thing you might need is a kind of adapter, 'cause here in Germany we use different plugs.
A kind of "travel adapter" for around 3,- or 4,-.

Thanks. Turns out my girlfriend had one of these lying around and it seems to work well enough!

I emailed spl regarding a crackling sound during playback and that the asio setting of 192khz is pretty much not use able(just getting constant noise at that setting)

Other than that issue the unit sounds great direct with my electric guitar, very clean when compared to my Roland quad capture. Haven't spent much time with it yet
Old 26th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Hi,

I got the same problem with the latest driver & firmware , except that for me it's buzzing not only in artist mode .

Anyone got a solution for this ?

Thanks
Old 26th March 2015
Gear Addict
Just a reminder...

Audient ID22 reviews?
Old 27th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socoliuc View Post
Hi,

I got the same problem with the latest driver & firmware , except that for me it's buzzing not only in artist mode .

Anyone got a solution for this ?

Thanks
If you are on OSX you should try to uninstall the SPL drivers and see what happens with the Core Audio drivers.
Old 20th April 2015
Here for the gear
Hi, (excuse me, i'm French, i have a poor English and I often use Google translate)

I did update the firmware of my crimson but it has failed and since the soundcard is no longer communicating with my mac... I sent two mails at Spl Support this weekend but no answer... Anyone already have this problem?

Thanks a lot!
Old 12th May 2015
Here for the gear
I just recieved my SPL crimson today and I fired it up last during a few test mix.
My first impressions are WOW! What a interface!
I compared it to my older interface (not mentioning which) and there was a slight difference, but not the blanket effect.
I noticed more high end, more bass and more detailed mids. I also think the stereo image was better.
I still need to test it further so I haven't been able to use all it's features, but so far I'm blown away. Love this thing!
Old 19th May 2015
Gear Addict

Have anyone made measurements of the mic pre's? would be essential to know if they distort on max gain.
or did they make them so there is clean gain all the way to the top?
Old 20th May 2015
Quote:
Have anyone made measurements of the mic pre's? would be essential to know if they distort on max gain.
or did they make them so there is clean gain all the way to the top?
Im bothered by their noise floor. At full gain the noise is at -60db. While this is ok on manycases, I record very feeble sounds like foleys and would love the noise floor to be lower than that. Especially with dynamic and ribbon mics you have to crank up the gain to get a decent level and the noise goes up.
Old 20th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
Im bothered by their noise floor. At full gain the noise is at -60db. While this is ok on manycases, I record very feeble sounds like foleys and would love the noise floor to be lower than that. Especially with dynamic and ribbon mics you have to crank up the gain to get a decent level and the noise goes up.
:/ Well. maybe try a fethead?
Old 27th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Installed the new drivers 2.9.86.9 and firmware 1.0.9 (released today, 27 May) and I'm back to "locked" audio drivers, blue screens and issues again. No more playing music off standalone players or browsing through Youtube and such while the DAW is running.

I will probably never buy another digital SPL related product again. I really wish I would have returned it while I could or never even bought this equipment the first place 'cause I paid good money for A BUNCH OF BULL****! Oh, time machines where are you?

I got a new, fairly powerful machine and my minimal latency (without loading the CPU with DEATH and getting major audio stutter/crackling) is 20ms. The only strong features about the is its preamps (even though they are somewhat noisy), converters, headphone amps and standalone mode

I'm sorry for the negative post and all but this is so unacceptable. All who are thinking about getting the Crimson, here is my advice: Do yourself a favor and avoid it at all cost. It is not worth your money or your time.

EDIT: I'm rolling back to the beta driver 2.9.86.9, which seems to work a bit better on multitasking.

Last edited by stonerbox; 27th May 2015 at 09:19 PM..
Old 27th May 2015
Gear Nut

Well this makes me not even want to install it.. Really wishing I ended up with the id22 here.. Why oh why did I have to buy this over seas..
Old 27th May 2015
Same here. Id never buy anything by SPL again.
Old 27th May 2015
Gear Addict

This is very depressing..... I feel bad for you guys.
Old 27th May 2015
Quote:
Installed the new drivers 2.9.86.9 and firmware 1.0.9 (released today, 27 May) and I'm back to "locked" audio drivers, blue screens and issues again. No more playing music off standalone players or browsing through Youtube and such while the DAW is running.
I'll go the other way. The new update has made it much much better for me. I've had Audiomulch running alongside a DVD, my usual financial spreadsheets relating to my businesses, Youtube with a Lamborghini Aventador going around the Nordsschleife, and Reaper recording guitar all at the same time with no crackle or dropouts this afternoon.

It's proven to be well worth my money.
Old 27th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well this makes me not even want to install it.. Really wishing I ended up with the id22 here.. Why oh why did I have to buy this over seas..
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
Same here. Id never buy anything by SPL again.
Quote:
This is very depressing..... I feel bad for you guys.
Yeah I know, right. Even if I were to sell the Crimson (and lose money in the trade off) I would feel like a hypocrite for selling this machine to some other poor fellow. "HERE, LET ME SELL YOU MY ISSUES!"

But in all fairness, I guess if you run light sessions of 10-15 tracks with minimum plugins or not very cpu heavy plugins then your good. Singer/songwriter/minimal/janglyguitar stuff then this is perfect. But if you run "normal" sessions with 20-45 tracks, you're in a jam.

OK, I'm gonna stop complaining now. Thanks for tuning in everybody.

Kisses and love,
Stonerbox

Last edited by stonerbox; 27th May 2015 at 10:07 PM..
Old 27th May 2015
Gear Nut

well, stonerbox made me not want to try the new firmware.. but then Heartfeltdawn came along and made me go for it. Some improvement so far with my minimal testing. Time will tell(usually got about 1 blue screen of death per month with with old firmware). Popping is still present in busy 30+ tracks unless I go to really slow buffer settings which means I still have to do most of my tracking before loading on the VSTs. Slightly less popping everywhere else.
Old 27th May 2015
Quote:
But in all fairness, I guess if you run light sessions of 10-15 tracks with minimum plugins or not very cpu heavy plugins then your good. Singer/songwriter/minimal/janglyguitar stuff then this is perfect. But if you run "normal" sessions with 20-45 tracks, you're in a jam.

On my hardly cutting edge Win7/4GB/FX6-6350 CPU machine, Reaper will play 27 instances of U-He's Ace 2 playing a Beethoven MIDI track with ReaPitch on the Master slot taking everything down before going into Valhalla Shimmer. Any more tracks and the CPU craps out, not the Crimson.

That SPL have actually worked well in trying to solve the problems is to their credit.
Old 27th May 2015
Quote:
well, stonerbox made me not want to try the new firmware.. but then Heartfeltdawn came along and made me go for it. Some improvement so far with my minimal testing. Time will tell(usually got about 1 blue screen of death per month with with old firmware). Popping is still present in busy 30+ tracks unless I go to really slow buffer settings which means I still have to do most of my tracking before loading on the VSTs. Slightly less popping everywhere else.
What settings are you using? Without knowing what other people are using, it's hard to come to a definite 'this is what it can and can't do'.

Right now I'm going at 128 samples, 88.1khz, with the 27 tracks of Zebra 2 going as mentioned. Driver software is in Fast performance mode, 2ms USB buffer length. Reaper is set to 88.1Khz and requesting 128 samples.

It's fine: my processor isn't! If I stick Reverberate on the master FX slot in Reaper, the CPU farts out, not the Crimson.

If I ask Reaper to request 64 samples, then I can run 20 tracks of that Zebra 2 instrument.

192khz ain't going well on my machine. It might be the unit but it's more likely the general blahness of my computer.

Last edited by Heartfeltdawn; 27th May 2015 at 10:14 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search