The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 1st December 2014
  #481
Just rolled back to the previous driver. Currently I have Audiomulch playing a Geist loop, Reaper playing some random ****, Youtube open in Chrome with Chris Harris driving a Ferrari F40, and MPC-HC playing some random samples all at once. This was impossible with the new driver.

For me, I shall stick with the old driver as I do steal a lot of sounds from Youtube and other sources to mess around with and it would be a huge pain in the arse to have to keep shutting down Audiomulch and Reaper in order to crib sounds from Youtube for instance.
Old 1st December 2014
  #482
Gear Addict
 
mrtnsko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
Just rolled back to the previous driver. Currently I have Audiomulch playing a Geist loop, Reaper playing some random ****, Youtube open in Chrome with Chris Harris driving a Ferrari F40, and MPC-HC playing some random samples all at once. This was impossible with the new driver.

For me, I shall stick with the old driver as I do steal a lot of sounds from Youtube and other sources to mess around with and it would be a huge pain in the arse to have to keep shutting down Audiomulch and Reaper in order to crib sounds from Youtube for instance.
contact spl about that
Old 1st December 2014
  #483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
contact spl about that
I will do later on today. I assume they have an official driver support/feedback form on the website somewhere.
Old 1st December 2014
  #484
Gear Addict
 
mrtnsko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
I will do later on today. I assume they have an official driver support/feedback form on the website somewhere.
they are a bit stupid with "feedback forms" you need to mail.
sascha (at) spl.info

get to him, he can help you!
Old 1st December 2014
  #485
Gear Head
 
antistatikk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
Just rolled back to the previous driver. Currently I have Audiomulch playing a Geist loop, Reaper playing some random ****, Youtube open in Chrome with Chris Harris driving a Ferrari F40, and MPC-HC playing some random samples all at once. This was impossible with the new driver.

For me, I shall stick with the old driver as I do steal a lot of sounds from Youtube and other sources to mess around with and it would be a huge pain in the arse to have to keep shutting down Audiomulch and Reaper in order to crib sounds from Youtube for instance.
Me too - i had certain problems with the new one as well.
Apart from the issue you described at times i had trouble with "normal" audio playback (Browser, system sounds etc) where the sound would be bitcrushed and harsh for some seconds.
Aaand... add to that: unsteady asio performance with cubase 7.0 & 7.5

I'm running windows 8.1 by the way.
Old 1st December 2014
  #486
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
Just rolled back to the previous driver. Currently I have Audiomulch playing a Geist loop, Reaper playing some random ****, Youtube open in Chrome with Chris Harris driving a Ferrari F40, and MPC-HC playing some random samples all at once. This was impossible with the new driver.
Wow, you really did all that at once? Why?
Old 1st December 2014
  #487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
Wow, you really did all that at once? Why?
Just to see how far I could push the driver. I record a fair bit of stuff from Youtube using Audacity and then dump it into hosts within Audiomulch for processing.
Old 1st December 2014
  #488
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
Just to see how far I could push the driver. I record a fair bit of stuff from Youtube using Audacity and then dump it into hosts within Audiomulch for processing.
Ah I see My DAW isn't even connected to the internet
Old 2nd December 2014
  #489
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
they are a bit stupid with "feedback forms" you need to mail.
sascha (at) spl.info

get to him, he can help you!
Hi,

In the end would you reccomend the Crimson?

I sold my Komplete audio 6 am in between the Crimson and the audient id22
Old 2nd December 2014
  #490
Gear Addict
 
mrtnsko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauris View Post
Hi,

In the end would you reccomend the Crimson?

I sold my Komplete audio 6 am in between the Crimson and the audient id22
seems they have some problems with the driver right now
if you wanna get started right now, take the id22. they should have their drivers sorted.

if you have 2 monitors take the SPL.

if you like a little more "vibey" sound, take the id22.
more "flat" take the spl.
Old 3rd December 2014
  #491
Here for the gear
 

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
seems they have some problems with the driver right now
if you wanna get started right now, take the id22. they should have their drivers sorted.

if you have 2 monitors take the SPL.

if you like a little more "vibey" sound, take the id22.
more "flat" take the spl.
Ah really SpL has issues with driver?

I want a neutral sound for mixing ITB, stable driver but only need 2 outputs and i am more focused on the DA

The komplete audio 6 was a step from my old rme ff400-

I was considering Apollo twin too but not for their plug ins i do not need them
Old 3rd December 2014
  #492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauris View Post
Ah really SpL has issues with driver?

I want a neutral sound for mixing ITB, stable driver but only need 2 outputs and i am more focused on the DA
The latest posted driver does have some issues: the old one does not. The old one is stable.

Most accounts I've seen say that the ID22 is a little brighter than the SPL.

Audition them both, choose whichever you prefer. I have no regrets buying the Crimson at all.
Old 3rd December 2014
  #493
Gear Addict
 
mrtnsko's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
The latest posted driver does have some issues: the old one does not. The old one is stable.

Most accounts I've seen say that the ID22 is a little brighter than the SPL.

Audition them both, choose whichever you prefer. I have no regrets buying the Crimson at all.
+1
Old 4th December 2014
  #494
rjx
Lives for gear
 
rjx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauris View Post
I want a neutral sound for mixing ITB, stable driver but only need 2 outputs and i am more focused on the DA
This is why I chose the ID22 (ordered a few days ago).

Currently, I'm ITB. I make electronic music (Techno and Experimental). I do plan to go hybrid again in the future, but that's probably irrelevant.

I chose the ID22 because it's a little cleaner and clearer sounding than the Crimson. It has more clarity and possibly a little sparkle in terms of coloration. Crimson users say it sounds analog. However, in the link I'm going to share, users that tried both the Crimson and ID22 said the ID22 has more detail.

Crimson vs ID22
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...l-crimson.html

Sometimes when I'm trying to make a buying decision I keep a document of various comments that I find useful.

Here's the comments I collected from the thread above that swayed me towards the ID22.

============================================================


Joko
The ID22 just sounds better. It really does. I am listening through a huge amount of my library and the Crimson feels stuffy in the low mids, almost feels like I have wool in my ears and I want to shake my head to get rid of this feeling. It is very fatiguing and frustrating, I am disappointed that it doesn't have the clarity I expected. The ID22 set the bar very high in this regard and the separation of instruments was instantly noticeable.

After hearing the clarity of the ID22 it is very hard to use the Crimson now despite the awesome pres but for long sessions, conversion and listening pleasure, the ID22 is the better choice.

I SO badly wanted to prefer the Crimson, and I do prefer it in every way except the converters, which is probably the most important aspect.

When I first connected the iD22, I heard all the instruments so well defined in the mix from bass to high and it was the least fatiguing interface I'd ever heard (Only owned the Duet and Focusrite 24 DSP). It was an absolute pleasure to listen to, I just wanted to listen to songs and hear all I had missed before. It was a lot of fun. The Crimson I find myself trying so hard to define some of the instruments.

The Crimson does sound good, it has a colour though, and I'm sure the people who haven't heard the iD22 will get by fine, but the Crimson will make mixing more difficult.

After spending a second day with the Crimson, I am liking it a bit more.. maybe my ears are becoming accustomed to it. The previous post about the hyped lower mids makes sense, still hard to hear some details around that range but it's less fatiguing today.

gnotgnot
I'm sure that the Audient is an excellent tool for mixing duties and i'm happy with that because it's 50% of my job.
But for the creation part or simply listening to music it's not so pleasant, to my ears at least, because it reveals all the flaws in a very untamed way.

dgkenney
Wound up getting the iD22 with the ASP880. Couldn't be more pleased. Had to retweak a couple of recent mixers as the iD22 revealed a little more than I had heard before.

I may be the odd man out here, but I preferred the sound of the ID22/ ASP880 to the Crimson. The Audient sounded clean and transparent while the Crimson seemed slightly hyped in the low-mids.

Just me and my .02 on the pre/convertors. Already stated in the earlier post about my preference for the ID22 expandability and the ASP880 workflow.

chinesewhiteman
My impression of iD22 its AD/DA stays out of the way. It's sonic signature is subtle, but I'd say it is a scooped low mid with a detailed top that has a nice "sheen."

Habana
I've tried both of these and they are quite different except in that they both have 'World Class/Class A Preamps' and 'World Class Pristine Converters' and are both 'Built Like A Tank' and are both 'Really Great Products'.

The SPL sounds 'darker and crimsony'
The iD22 sounds 'silvery and audienty'

The iD22 is the 'better' sounding of the two though.

maxwelldub
Got my crimson last week and have been putting it through its paces for a mastering session. It is a very clean interface, super easy to figure out and the drivers seem stable enough. However the sound immediately struck me as a tad dark,
all the id22 has a very nice and punchy sound (maybe a bit too flattering) lots of 3D and details...
it would be quite nice to have the clean, detailed conversion of the id22 without the eq curve and all the rest of the crimson in one unit

changolayne
I had both here for a few weeks and in the end I kept the crimson!
id22 seems a bit cleaner/quieter (way in and out) like someone noted before, with less noise from preamps and converters.
Old 4th December 2014
  #495
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx View Post
Crimson vs ID22
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...l-crimson.html

Sometimes when I'm trying to make a buying decision I keep a document of various comments that I find useful.

Here's the comments I collected from the thread above that swayed me towards the ID22.

So according to that thread, the ID22 is clean and transparent to some, scooped low mids, with a sheen on the top end to others. Nothing like the subjectivity of individual ears! :D

It does boil down to this: the Crimson sounds a bit darker, the ID22 sounds brighter. They're both superb units.
Old 5th December 2014
  #496
Here for the gear
 

How's the SPL compared to the RME Babyface, Interface, sound and driver-wise? Thanks in advance!
Old 5th December 2014
  #497
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
So according to that thread, the ID22 is clean and transparent to some, scooped low mids, with a sheen on the top end to others. Nothing like the subjectivity of individual ears! :D

It does boil down to this: the Crimson sounds a bit darker, the ID22 sounds brighter. They're both superb units.
Some people were brought up with bright voicing of MP3's, while others know about the warm sound of analogue. Neither stopped people from making great records.
Old 5th December 2014
  #498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
Some people were brought up with bright voicing of MP3's, while others know about the warm sound of analogue. Neither stopped people from making great records.
Exactly.
Old 10th December 2014
  #499
Gear Maniac
 

After having the Crimson a while here I`ve just realised it has got " multi-application mode/ support", so I can run multiple asio programs at the same time!

Solves a long term peeve for me about asio being limited to one app with my m-audio 24/96 - always nice to stumble on things like this after a purchase!

working well so far on testing.
Old 11th December 2014
  #500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune View Post
After having the Crimson a while here I`ve just realised it has got " multi-application mode/ support", so I can run multiple asio programs at the same time!

Solves a long term peeve for me about asio being limited to one app with my m-audio 24/96 - always nice to stumble on things like this after a purchase!

working well so far on testing.
What version of the driver are you using?
Old 11th December 2014
  #501
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
What version of the driver are you using?

Working well with Version 2.9.65 here, on up to date Windows 7.

I can open Spark 2 standalone, Studio One and Renoise all in asio mode and run audio simultaneously and flawlessly. So no more resetting preferences/ temporarily changing to windows-audio and back if I have two apps open!

I`ve also just checked and the latest version has moved on to 2.9.76 here:

In Kürze: Sound Performance Lab .


No doubt I`ll update soon.
Old 11th December 2014
  #502
The current SPL Crimson driver on my updated 8.1 is undersirable . I was having a very smooth carefree workflow and suddenly , windows decides all by itself to update to 8.1 , and then it wouldnt recognize SPL . So I install their new driver and it wont play multiple applications . And such..
Windows is a pain in the ass sometimes.
Old 11th December 2014
  #503
Lives for gear
Thanks for that heads up monitorlove. I am just setting up my new i7 which has Windows 8.1 and the whole sign in with your MS account annoys me. I haven't installed anything on it yet, other than 2 extra hard drives, one of which is dead and bumped the DDR3 to 16gb.

I have the funds for a new I/O and was looking at the SPL Crimson. I might wait a bit and see how this develops.
Michael
Old 11th December 2014
  #504
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune View Post
Working well with Version 2.9.65 here, on up to date Windows 7.

I can open Spark 2 standalone, Studio One and Renoise all in asio mode and run audio simultaneously and flawlessly. So no more resetting preferences/ temporarily changing to windows-audio and back if I have two apps open!

I`ve also just checked and the latest version has moved on to 2.9.76 here:

In Kürze: Sound Performance Lab .


No doubt I`ll update soon.

I'm also running 2.9.65. Multiple applications run fine with this driver.

I did try the 2.9.76 version as detailed earlier in the thread. I lost some of the multiclient ability and went back to 2.9.65.
Old 12th December 2014
  #505
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
I'm also running 2.9.65. Multiple applications run fine with this driver.

I did try the 2.9.76 version as detailed earlier in the thread. I lost some of the multiclient ability and went back to 2.9.65.
I see, if updating to .76 does this here I will roll back to .65 too.

cheers!
Old 17th December 2014
  #506
Old 21st December 2014
  #507
Gear Maniac
 
stonerbox's Avatar
 

Q: I often find myself pushing the preamp inputs well over 1-2 o'clock. Sometimes even up to around 4 o'clock. Do you guys ever have to go to such extremes?
Old 27th December 2014
  #508
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerbox View Post
Q: I often find myself pushing the preamp inputs well over 1-2 o'clock. Sometimes even up to around 4 o'clock. Do you guys ever have to go to such extremes?
Quite normal, I normally push the preamps to 3 o´clock, at 4 o´clock it begins to get critical / hiss, but up to 3 o´clock it´s fine (at least with my crimson)
Old 27th December 2014
  #509
Gear Maniac
 
stonerbox's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
Quite normal, I normally push the preamps to 3 o´clock, at 4 o´clock it begins to get critical / hiss, but up to 3 o´clock it´s fine (at least with my crimson)
Thanks! That's good to know. Of course the input value varies depending on the source, but I thought I would go ahead and ask anyway.
Old 27th December 2014
  #510
For mic , I push it to over 12 o clock , For instrument , I just use till 3 or 4.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump