The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
One other thing I forgot to mention is a wierd thing about the monitor controller volume knob and headphone volume knob. As I start increasing the volume from zero , the sound first comes up on the left speaker/ear and then gradually the right. At about 15-20 degree position , both the speakers have equal volume. I emailed SPL about this and they said its normal . Is anyone else facing this problem?
I usually keep the volume knob at half way up and then change volume on laptop
My headphone volume is usually at 11 o'clock and the laptop at 85% .. I value my hearing But I may adjust the ratio to make the Crimson "work harder".
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
One other thing I forgot to mention is a wierd thing about the monitor controller volume knob and headphone volume knob. As I start increasing the volume from zero , the sound first comes up on the left speaker/ear and then gradually the right. At about 15-20 degree position , both the speakers have equal volume. I emailed SPL about this and they said its normal . Is anyone else facing this problem?
I usually keep the volume knob at half way up and then change volume on laptop
Yea this is normal, it's even mentioned in the SPL Crimson pdf documentation.

Once you move past that early range it is dead even. If you want to listen at low levels an easy workaround is to hit the DIM button and this will let you operate in the higher ranges of the knob, where the balance is even.
Old 24th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxReturn View Post
Yea this is normal, it's even mentioned in the SPL Crimson pdf documentation.

Once you move past that early range it is dead even. If you want to listen at low levels an easy workaround is to hit the DIM button and this will let you operate in the higher ranges of the knob, where the balance is even.
Thanks! Also, I get around -61db noise floor with the Crimson pre-amp level at maximum. Would you consider this noisy if you were to record feeble sounds like foleys ?
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks! Also, I get around -61db noise floor with the Crimson pre-amp level at maximum. Would you consider this noisy if you were to record feeble sounds like foleys ?
Don't ever max out analouge stuff. U listen to the noise floor, and cap it where it has risen around 10, 20%.
Old 25th November 2014
Quote:
The thing I like about the Crimson's sound is that all the mixes Ive done on it came out without being muddy and sounded similar on normal playback systems. So they might be sounding closer to the real world consumer systems...

I watched a video on youtube comparing a few guitar recordings done through audient vs crimson. Audient does sound more open . I think it has a slight scoop in the low mid and a small boost in the highs. Also the color is very different. I liked both the sound. Crimson is the dark lord.

That was my impression testing out an ID22. The Crimson suits my monitors better than the ID22. Either way, each interface is more than good enough to produce decent recordings, it's simply down to personal preference.
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
That was my impression testing out an ID22. The Crimson suits my monitors better than the ID22. Either way, each interface is more than good enough to produce decent recordings, it's simply down to personal preference.
Interested to know which monitors you have..
Old 25th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxReturn View Post
Interested to know which monitors you have..
Silver 5L.

Silver 5L

SILVER 5L | The only Closefield Monitor in The World
Old 25th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
Where did you get the plug? ?
Yep, like Blue Man presumed I made it myself
Old 26th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Exciting news for Windows users coming soon ...
Old 27th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
C'mon, spill the beans :D
Old 28th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
All ready got them. Definitely some improvement on both latency and the "controllability" side of things.
Old 28th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerbox View Post
All ready got them. Definitely some improvement on both latency and the "controllability" side of things.
Did you notice any firmware improvements besides the above?
Old 28th November 2014
Quote:
Ah, so has there been a firmware or driver update? I can't see anything announced on the product page. Has anyone got a link to help an eejit like me?
Old 28th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I don't know? What would that be, I mean other than latency and such?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
Ah, so has there been a firmware or driver update? I can't see anything announced on the product page. Has anyone got a link to help an eejit like me?
Yes, both! The guy I've been in contact with at SPL said they need to do paperwork + a bunch of other stuff before they can officially release the driver and firmware update.

I could start to spread these updates but it is not up to me and it would not be fair since it's still not official.
Old 28th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, both! The guy I've been in contact with at SPL said they need to do paperwork + a bunch of other stuff before they can officially release the driver and firmware update.

I could start to spread these updates but it is not up to me and it would not be fair since it's still not official.
Yes, I wouldn't go distributing updates that are not yet finalised as if anything goes wrong with a device there will be problems to be solved, and SPL will need to be in the position to support these users at the customer service level.

Obviously if you are beta-testing the updates then the software developers are able to support you directly on a one-to-one level.
Old 28th November 2014
Quote:

Oh, splendid news. I'm very happy to wait for this to become official.
Old 28th November 2014
Gear Head

The updated windows version seems to be availible:
Video: Sound Performance Lab

Looking forward to test this out.
Old 28th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistatikk View Post

Having gotten my iLok today in anticipation of buying the Soundtoys bundle, is it tempting too much fate to go Ilok and update my Crimson driver and firmware in one fell swoop?!?
Old 28th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by antistatikk View Post

Any opinions on this new update?
Old 28th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I don't know? What would that be, I mean other than latency and such?
Release Notes 2.9.76:
• optimized for firmware v1.0.6
• improved audio performance and roundtrip latencies
Old 28th November 2014
New firmware and driver in. Definitely seems to be a bit less latency (once I realised I'd let ReaPitch on the master channel detuned and in 100% wet mode...doh) so no complaints here. I'll give it a full going over tomorrow.
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
while using the PeakTech I use a cable with two banana jacks and a plug equally to the plug from the original SPL-PSU
Where did you get that plug (from the original SPL-PSU) ?

What diameter? size? name? model? : )
Old 30th November 2014
Quote:
Where did you get that plug (from the original SPL-PSU) ?

What diameter? size? name? model? : )
this: PeakTech® 6080 - PeakTech® - Spitzentechnologie, die überzeugt

I got the plugs in a small electronic shop, took the original plug as a sample
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
this: PeakTech® 6080 - PeakTech® - Spitzentechnologie, die überzeugt

I got the plugs in a small electronic shop, took the original plug as a sample
What percentage would you estimate the improvement to be?
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
What percentage would you estimate the improvement to be?
Listne for yourself!
You can return the peaktech in what is it 2 weeks?
Just say it didn't work... as it didn't work.. for you didn't hear much of an improvenent, and u boght it cause of that.. get my pooint?
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Listne for yourself!
You can return the peaktech in what is it 2 weeks?
Just say it didn't work... as it didn't work.. for you didn't hear much of an improvenent, and u boght it cause of that.. get my pooint?
I would have to import it from Germany which would be a a bit of a hassle sending it back and forth.
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I would have to import it from Germany which would be a a bit of a hassle sending it back and forth.
ah okej... well i think it can make a big difference. with a good speaker and amp.
Old 30th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
ah okej... well i think it can make a big difference. with a good speaker and amp.
I myself imagine a slight "grain" or lack of definintion in the treble with my SPL.
I am real eager to try this this out.
Old 30th November 2014
Quote:
improvement is hard to tell in percent, as I mentioned before there´s better transient response and a little improvement in bass and in the higher frequencies, too. in summary I would say there is a slight better sound from the crimson, but it will not turn the crimson into a hilo

maybe you can get a similar device like the PeakTech in your country, so you did not have to import it from germany...

Last edited by andyfromHH; 30th November 2014 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: insert PeakTech
Old 1st December 2014
There is one difference I have noticed with the latest driver. I can run Audiomulch, Reaper, and Ableton Live 5 all at the same time. However I can't get audio from webpages such as Youtube when audio applications are running. No biggie but it was possible with the previous driver.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search