The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
reference.

A bit of "veil" over the whole sound, yes. combined with sennheiser veil it gets really veily but it's no problem working with it but listening to it 10 hours per day gets a really tiresome after a while.

so its a bit "darkening" but all the details are there, but somewhat "muddy"

it's like a blur filter in photoshop.
Have you compared it with a Duet 2 by any chance?
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebastian21 View Post
Have you compared it with a Duet 2 by any chance?
Nope. But I wanna hear a Apogee converter.
Old 19th November 2014
Quote:
reference.

A bit of "veil" over the whole sound, yes. combined with sennheiser veil it gets really veily but it's no problem working with it but listening to it 10 hours per day gets a really tiresome after a while.

so its a bit "darkening" but all the details are there, but somewhat "muddy"

it's like a blur filter in photoshop.
Not what I am getting at all and that involves a lot of listening to string sections.
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
Not what I am getting at all and that involves a lot of listening to string sections.
Could be conformation bias. It's not bad anyways and I recommend the interface.
That's just my feeling right now. Thanks your sharing yours!
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Could be conformation bias. It's not bad anyways and I recommend the interface.
That's just my feeling right now. Thanks your sharing yours!
I'm using Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (Frequency Response: 15 - 28,000 Hz) and I have don't have anything negative to report. I listen to a wide range of material with varying quality and I find the Crimson to be an honest grafter whatever you throw at it.
Old 20th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
I'm using Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (Frequency Response: 15 - 28,000 Hz) and I have don't have anything negative to report. I listen to a wide range of material with varying quality and I find the Crimson to be an honest grafter whatever you throw at it.
I've got the M50X and Sony MDR-V6 phones and concur with you.
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Addict

Yeah sure, It's honest. Maybe it's more honest therfore more "dull" to my ears.
Old 20th November 2014
Quote:
Yeah sure, It's honest. Maybe it's more honest therfore more "dull" to my ears.
It's pretty damn honest. There's a fair bit written about the RME Multiface 1 and the higher end being harsh. I could clearly hear the difference between that and the Crimson. Likewise I could hear the dullness of the Delta 66 compared to the Crimson.

From the money I paid for it, I consider it a bargain. Two good preamps, decent DI, monitor controller, the driver performance is more than acceptable and it sounds great.
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
It's pretty damn honest. There's a fair bit written about the RME Multiface 1 and the higher end being harsh. I could clearly hear the difference between that and the Crimson. Likewise I could hear the dullness of the Delta 66 compared to the Crimson.

From the money I paid for it, I consider it a bargain. Two good preamps, decent DI, monitor controller, the driver performance is more than acceptable and it sounds great.
This thing is, it's better than what the pro's had back in their heyday when they were recording and producing the worlds greatest music, so you can't blame the equipment. In this context the Crimson is a professional tool
Old 20th November 2014
Quote:
This thing is, it's better than what the pro's had back in their heyday when they were recording and producing the worlds greatest music, so you can't blame the equipment. In this context the Crimson is a professional tool

(I've given up with words this afternoon)
Old 21st November 2014
Gear Maniac

Just got my Crimson yesterday and man does it ever eat CPU. I got a AMD FX 8320 3,5 Ghz (eight core) and I can only use the buffert sizes 32 and 128 (10 ms and 15 ms) on my heavy projects.

Emailed SPL about the new drivers for Win7 and they will hopefully release new it next week.
Quote:
"I think the new driver will be released in the next week.
A firmware update will be available soon, too.

We have testet the win7 and Crimson and the latency is not super short but totally okay. Even for playing live VIs."
I really like the Crimson and I don't really want to return it so I'm taking my chances with the coming updates.. I'm scared, could someone hold my hand?

Last edited by stonerbox; 21st November 2014 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Changed samples rates to buffert sizes
Old 21st November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerbox View Post
Just got my Crimson yesterday and man does it ever eat CPU. I got a AMD FX 8320 3,5 Ghz (eight core) and I can only use the sample rates 32 and 128 (10 ms and 15 ms) on my heavy projects.

Emailed SPL about the new drivers for Win7 and they will hopefully release new it next week.

I really like the Crimson and I don't really want to return it so I'm taking my chances with the coming updates.. I'm scared, could someone hold my hand?
*Holds out hand

Hopefully they can tweak it.
All will get sorterd in time

Listening through spl through a new pair of speakers today, sounds frigging awesome.

http://www.harmonydesign.se/index.ph...D=10&prodID=18

Bought them 30 minutes ago

Handbuilt, cost around 2000 dollar. Passive.
Listening through a 20 watt, 20 dollar stereo... sounds better than every monitor i ever had :D
Old 21st November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
*Holds out hand

Hopefully they can tweak it.
All will get sorterd in time
*Two gearslutz-hands connects, the sky opens from a stream of light, a choir begins to hum and peace on earth is restored*

Yeah, let's hope they do or else I'll be forced to return it.
Old 21st November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerbox View Post
*Two gearslutz-hands connects in a firm grip, the sky opens from a stream of light, a choir begins to hum and peace on earth is restored*

Yeah, let's hope they do or else I'll be forced to return it.
Yes yes yes yes!
Det ordnar sig, en return är inget farligt. Finns annat!
Du kan testa olika USB-portar, samt köpa ett USB-kort o sätta i en ledig PCI-E slot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Express-Conv.../dp/B00J8DUK4Q

Har haft problem med lite stuttering audio även när jag lastat datorn upp till 70% o.s.v.
Men varit väldigt stabilt ändå. Testa Win8.1
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
For your interest, I meanwhile feed the Crimson with an external power supply which is normally used for laboratories, there is an audible change, better transients response and overall more „glance“ in the upper frequencies, didn´t expect such impact only in changing the PSU…
Hello!
Im doing this upgrade now too! thanks for helping out, was convinced this would make a difference too and nice to see somebody else experimenting ^^

What psu did you test with? do you have specs or link?

Did the bass or "insight" "depth" get any better?
Old 22nd November 2014
Quote:
Hello!
Im doing this upgrade now too! thanks for helping out, was convinced this would make a difference too and nice to see somebody else experimenting ^^

What psu did you test with? do you have specs or link?

Did the bass or "insight" "depth" get any better?
Got the PeakTech 6080, very inexpensive, and imo a audible improvement to the original PSU, Crimson sounds more open and bass response is a tad more defined, also better transients response, overall more shimmy and shake, more glance imo..
it´s a difference even my housemate heard when I did a A/B-listening…
I´m from europe, bought it at reichelt for around 50 euro, don´t know if it´s available in your country,
link and specs form the PeakTech-Website: PeakTech® 6080 - PeakTech® - Spitzentechnologie, die überzeugt
please keep me informed, your experience, your psu, improvement?
greetings…
Old 22nd November 2014
The thing I like about the Crimson's sound is that all the mixes Ive done on it came out without being muddy and sounded similar on normal playback systems. So they might be sounding closer to the real world consumer systems...

I watched a video on youtube comparing a few guitar recordings done through audient vs crimson. Audient does sound more open . I think it has a slight scoop in the low mid and a small boost in the highs. Also the color is very different. I liked both the sound. Crimson is the dark lord.
Old 22nd November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
The thing I like about the Crimson's sound is that all the mixes Ive done on it came out without being muddy and sounded similar on normal playback systems. So they might be sounding closer to the real world consumer systems...

I watched a video on youtube comparing a few guitar recordings done through audient vs crimson. Audient does sound more open . I think it has a slight scoop in the low mid and a small boost in the highs. Also the color is very different. I liked both the sound. Crimson is the dark lord.
Yep, thanks for your post, if the mixes translate well I think it´s a good device.
Blue Man posted a graph about the frequency response and it´s pretty flat. SPL Crimson
The ID22 seems a little hyped in the highs, at least to my ears, just like the Apogee Duet 2, but for me the point of the matter is: does the Crimson shows all the details or are the drowned in a sea of muddy lower frequencies?
I think the Crimson fares very well in this department, what do guys you think?
Talking ´bout D/A only!
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Addict

I think I found a way to make high impedance can sound better.
Try putting the amp to almost max, with the Monitor mix down to zero. Then carefully dial in a good volume.
My first impression was more depth and clarity. Try it!

(Careful not pressing the Artist-mode button as you will blow things up!
Old 23rd November 2014
Quote:
Yep, thanks for your post, if the mixes translate well I think it´s a good device.
Blue Man posted a graph about the frequency response and it´s pretty flat. SPL Crimson
The ID22 seems a little hyped in the highs, at least to my ears, just like the Apogee Duet 2, but for me the point of the matter is: does the Crimson shows all the details or are the drowned in a sea of muddy lower frequencies?
I think the Crimson fares very well in this department, what do guys you think?
Talking ´bout D/A only!
While I think the Audient does sound more clearer and has more separation , I feel the Crimson never stands in the way of making mix decisions.
Never found it muddy but it has that dark character.

Both sound awesome in their own way and appeals to different tastes.
Audient's more open clearer sound vs Crimsons characterful sound with a nice analog dirt.
Old 23rd November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Got the PeakTech 6080, very inexpensive, and imo a audible improvement to the original PSU, Crimson sounds more open and bass response is a tad more defined, also better transients response, overall more shimmy and shake, more glance imo..
it´s a difference even my housemate heard when I did a A/B-listening…
I´m from europe, bought it at reichelt for around 50 euro, don´t know if it´s available in your country,
link and specs form the PeakTech-Website: PeakTech® 6080 - PeakTech® - Spitzentechnologie, die überzeugt
please keep me informed, your experience, your psu, improvement?
greetings…
Interesting, what cable do you use to connect to the Crimson?
Old 23rd November 2014
Quote:
Try putting the amp to almost max, with the Monitor mix down to zero. Then carefully dial in a good volume.

yes, tried it, seems that you´re right, first impression: wider stereo, more depth, strange!
talked to SPL some time ago about loosing SQ with low volume, SPL said there is no degradation in SQ by turning down the volume, but I think they stand corrected, def. a change in sound!
will verify tomorrow...
and with this setup NEVER press the Artist-mode!!!!
Old 23rd November 2014
Quote:
Interesting, what cable do you use to connect to the Crimson?
while using the PeakTech I use a cable with two banana jacks and a plug equally to the plug from the original SPL-PSU
Old 23rd November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
yes, tried it, seems that you´re right, first impression: wider stereo, more depth, strange!
talked to SPL some time ago about loosing SQ with low volume, SPL said there is no degradation in SQ by turning down the volume, but I think they stand corrected, def. a change in sound!
will verify tomorrow...
and with this setup NEVER press the Artist-mode!!!!

This all makes me wonder..do we need to use a passive attenuator between speaker outputs and our monitors?

Because if what you guys are saying is correct, the main VOL control should also be on maximum and then we dial in appropriate level via an external passive controller such as SMPRO NanoPatch or similar.

Which would be disappointing, as the whole idea of Crimson is that it's an all-in-one!
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxReturn View Post
This all makes me wonder..do we need to use a passive attenuator between speaker outputs and our monitors?

Because if what you guys are saying is correct, the main VOL control should also be on maximum and then we dial in appropriate level via an external passive controller such as SMPRO NanoPatch or similar.

Which would be disappointing, as the whole idea of Crimson is that it's an all-in-one!
No this is only for headphone amplifying. Line level is another thing.
You are not feeding a line level with the same current.

And this is a standing problem with all analouge design, even stuff that cost 5000 dollar have this.
As with all things there is nothing that is perfect.
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
while using the PeakTech I use a cable with two banana jacks and a plug equally to the plug from the original SPL-PSU
Where did you get the plug? ?
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Where did you get the plug? ?
I'm guessing he made it himself
Old 24th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Let me try this one, but I think I can hear a difference when listening through artist mode, as opposed to having the monitor mix set to max in the normal position?
Old 24th November 2014
shi
Gear Nut

I'm very happy with my Crimson.

I like that the front inst. take priority over the back as I can plug/unplug my front cables to switch gear.
But I would have loved them to be on the side as the cables take too much spaces.

I'm curious how other people set it up with cables and the likes on their desk. if some people would mind to share any pictures of how they set it up that would be nice!
(I'm not home so can't post it now)
Old 24th November 2014
SPL volume knob behaviour

One other thing I forgot to mention is a wierd thing about the monitor controller volume knob and headphone volume knob. As I start increasing the volume from zero , the sound first comes up on the left speaker/ear and then gradually the right. At about 15-20 degree position , both the speakers have equal volume. I emailed SPL about this and they said its normal . Is anyone else facing this problem?
I usually keep the volume knob at half way up and then change volume on laptop
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search