The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 23rd October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
SPL Crimson with AKG K701 here, absolutely brillant, wide stereo field, lots of details, best HP-Amp in any interface I´ve used so far!
I'm using ATH-M50 also with excellent results.
Old 23rd October 2014
Gear Maniac

I've just been demoing the Crimson against the Apogee Duet. I really wanted to love the Crimson, it's amazingly well built, sounds great and looks good to boot. Problem was, the latency on mac was terrible for me. The Duet performed much, much better doing software overdubs in Logic, which is a pretty common use case for me. At 128 samples with the duet I got ~9ms round trip. Got about 14ms with the Crimson, but it also chewed the f*** out of my CPU compared to the Duet. It's a pity, as the Crimson is amazing, but the driver performance just didn't work for me.
Old 23rd October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by te-problematique View Post
I've just been demoing the Crimson against the Apogee Duet. I really wanted to love the Crimson, it's amazingly well built, sounds great and looks good to boot. Problem was, the latency on mac was terrible for me. The Duet performed much, much better doing software overdubs in Logic, which is a pretty common use case for me. At 128 samples with the duet I got ~9ms round trip. Got about 14ms with the Crimson, but it also chewed the f*** out of my CPU compared to the Duet. It's a pity, as the Crimson is amazing, but the driver performance just didn't work for me.
Simply uninstall the Crimson drivers and use the core-audio drivers of the mac,
worked well for me (and, as I reported earlier, I also work with logic x and got no latency issues even with a big count of CPU-hungry NI-plugins) (and keep in mind that latency is not shown correctly in some host programs, RTL is much smaller)
it´s worth a try!
Old 23rd October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchillak View Post
I've uninstalled everything other than crimson. I've done everything I can think of. It works fine, just not with the Crimson ASIO driver. I even had the guy at ADK go through my system looking for issues and hencouldn't find anything. I'm gonna try it on my old desktop and see if I have issues. Im sure it will be fine. My desktop never gave me problems. Unfortunately I need to be somewhat mobile so I need to get this working on my laptop. I'm also in the middle of a few major projects so reinstalling windows just isn't gonna happen right now.
Apologies as I haven't read the entire thread here, but something I found when using Windows and Presonus Studio One, I'm not sure if this would apply in your own set up, but it's worth pointing out to others.

When the block size was 512 or larger, all was fine. When I dropped to 256, which is 'FAST' under the asio/latency options, crackling and stuttering. I tried everything to cure it. No joy. So, I decided to hear how bad it was at 128, (under 'RAPID' - next one up from 'FAST' under the ASIO/Latency choices control panel)... It didn't. It sounded fine!?

For some reason, Studio One would not play ball at 256 samples. 128, and even 32, fine! But not 256.....

Haven't figured this one out yet, but am pleased to say the least - gives me time to evaluate the Crimson more.
Old 23rd October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speranza View Post
Apologies as I haven't read the entire thread here, but something I found when using Windows and Presonus Studio One, I'm not sure if this would apply in your own set up, but it's worth pointing out to others.

When the block size was 512 or larger, all was fine. When I dropped to 256, which is 'FAST' under the asio/latency options, crackling and stuttering. I tried everything to cure it. No joy. So, I decided to hear how bad it was at 128, (under 'RAPID' - next one up from 'FAST' under the ASIO/Latency choices control panel)... It didn't. It sounded fine!?

For some reason, Studio One would not play ball at 256 samples. 128, and even 32, fine! But not 256.....

Haven't figured this one out yet, but am pleased to say the least - gives me time to evaluate the Crimson more.
Test it with a standalone app to rule out the DAW, and also try it on another computer if you can to zone in on the problem.
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Basically unused SPL Crimson with full warranty for sale: SPL Crimson Mint in box w/ full warranty
Old 26th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
Basically unused SPL Crimson with full warranty for sale: SPL Crimson Mint in box w/ full warranty
I´m curious, do you think the crimson is sufficient for mastering regarding D/A?
Thanks!
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Yes definitely, it held up quite well against my Lynx L22. Converter technology has come so far, mid level sound cards have chips that probably would've been considered mastering grade 10-15 years ago. It's very clean and punchy. I'm selling it for other reasons.
Old 27th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelldub View Post
Yes definitely, it held up quite well against my Lynx L22. Converter technology has come so far, mid level sound cards have chips that probably would've been considered mastering grade 10-15 years ago. It's very clean and punchy. I'm selling it for other reasons.
Thanks for your prompt answer, maxwelldub, I´m on the crimson myself but got a little uncertain because of the comments concerning the sound quality, I once did an unscientific A/B-test vs. the ID22 and the UH-7000 and to my ears the crimson was the most unhyped device with just as much detail.
Old 27th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt answer, maxwelldub, I´m on the crimson myself but got a little uncertain because of the comments concerning the sound quality, I once did an unscientific A/B-test vs. the ID22 and the UH-7000 and to my ears the crimson was the most unhyped device with just as much detail.
I'm not surprised ..

source: Sound & Recording Germany.
Old 30th October 2014
Hello guys. I am up to buy SPL Crimson, but after reading this whole thread, I am not so sure now. It's a beauty, german designed and built there, so it can't be ****. What bothers me is driver problems. I am windows7 user and have problems with drivers with my current ****ty audio interface, so I wouldn't like to improve and again meet the same problems. Alternative for me is RME babyface or Audient ID22, although here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...ht=spl+crimson the benchmark favorites Crimson. Any news about the crimson, how do you feel working with it? Would you buy any other Interface about 500EUR or would you buy crimson again? I am looking for smooth working and high efficient sound card for my DAW.
Old 1st November 2014
For your interest, I meanwhile feed the Crimson with an external power supply which is normally used for laboratories, there is an audible change, better transients response and overall more „glance“ in the upper frequencies, didn´t expect such impact only in changing the PSU…
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
For your interest, I meanwhile feed the Crimson with an external power supply which is normally used for laboratories, there is an audible change, better transients response and overall more „glance“ in the upper frequencies, didn´t expect such impact only in changing the PSU…
No, its a true case. Changing the standard PSU on for example the ULN8 by Metric Halo to a better spec'd one did also improve its performance considerably, what I read here somewhere on GS. Mind you, those special PSU can be quite expensive.
Old 3rd November 2014
Gear Head
Try to contact with crimson for its 3 days now. They seem like they dont care.
I am now very good friend with audient and uad by the way.
Old 7th November 2014
rjx
Lives for gear

Crimson used to record a band.

Old 11th November 2014
Gear Maniac

I am selling a SPL Crimson for $575. I have less than 10 hours on it. I really like this interface but I haven't been working on music at all. It has to go!
Old 15th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypt View Post
Hello guys. I am up to buy SPL Crimson, but after reading this whole thread, I am not so sure now. It's a beauty, german designed and built there, so it can't be ****. What bothers me is driver problems. I am windows7 user and have problems with drivers with my current ****ty audio interface, so I wouldn't like to improve and again meet the same problems. Alternative for me is RME babyface or Audient ID22, although here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...ht=spl+crimson the benchmark favorites Crimson. Any news about the crimson, how do you feel working with it? Would you buy any other Interface about 500EUR or would you buy crimson again? I am looking for smooth working and high efficient sound card for my DAW.
Im using the crimson on Windows 8 and it works very well .
The SPL definitely has better headphone amps than the RME babyface. Also more functionality, multiple inputs all for more or less the same price. Sound quality wise atleast on par I guess.
Old 17th November 2014
Gear Maniac

New driver for the Mac guys ..

Version: 3.2 & 2.2.7
Date: November 14, 2014

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_uploa...on_mac_3.2.zip
Old 17th November 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
New driver for the Mac guys ..

Version: 3.2 & 2.2.7
Date: November 14, 2014

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_uploa...on_mac_3.2.zip
Did u install this update?
Any improvements??
Old 17th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathetique View Post
Did u install this update?
Any improvements??
I'm on Windows 7, there should be a new driver out this week.
Old 17th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx View Post
Anyone using any of the following headphones with the Crimson?
HD600, HD650, HD800

How do you like using these headphones with the Crimson headphone amps for mixing / mastering?
Im using Senheiser HD650 with Apogee Duet 2, had anyone compared the headphone DAC of the Crimson and the Duet 2?
Old 17th November 2014
Lives for gear

This Crimson looks so tempting! So, many of you were dissapointed in the sound, really? :( dull, too much low mids, less open sounding than the audient? For some reason I often have the tendency to have bit too boomy and dull mixes. The crimson would maybe be a good cure to balance it...
Old 17th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
This Crimson looks so tempting! So, many of you were dissapointed in the sound, really? :( dull, too much low mids, less open sounding than the audient? For some reason I often have the tendency to have bit too boomy and dull mixes. The crimson would maybe be a good cure to balance it...
No, the sound is fine. Over the last 12 months I've had the Delta 66, RME Multiface 1, and RME Babyface installed on this computer as well as a UR22 on the laptop. The Crimson was streets ahead of all four.
Old 17th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
No, the sound is fine. Over the last 12 months I've had the Delta 66, RME Multiface 1, and RME Babyface installed on this computer as well as a UR22 on the laptop. The Crimson was streets ahead of all four.
Thanks for replying. I was considering the babyface but its design never appealed to me. The crimson looks like something I would guess to be 1500€. I guess I'll have to try for myself. Nevertheless, it's interesting to read as much as reviews/opinions as possible.
Old 19th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebastian21 View Post
Im using Senheiser HD650 with Apogee Duet 2, had anyone compared the headphone DAC of the Crimson and the Duet 2?
Hi zebastian, I have used the Duet 2 and use the Crimson, the Crimson has the best headphone DAC in any interface I have used so far, and I have used a lot / RME FF UC, Steinberg MR816, Apogee Duet 1 and 2, Motu 4pre, Steinberg UR44 and others, Crimson headphone amp/DA beats them all! Very detailed, wide stereo field and loud!
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi zebastian, I have used the Duet 2 and use the Crimson, the Crimson has the best headphone DAC in any interface I have used so far, and I have used a lot / RME FF UC, Steinberg MR816, Apogee Duet 1 and 2, Motu 4pre, Steinberg UR44 and others, Crimson headphone amp/DA beats them all! Very detailed, wide stereo field and loud!
The only drawback is a bit muddy bass atleast that's what I am getting.
Old 19th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
hmmm, on the headphones? Not with mine / AKG K701...

Last edited by andyfromHH; 19th November 2014 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
hmmm, on the headphones? Not with mine AKG K701...
try with sennheisers...
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
Is that with a refererence mix or one of your own?
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
Is that with a refererence mix or one of your own?
reference.

A bit of "veil" over the whole sound, yes. combined with sennheiser veil it gets really veily but it's no problem working with it but listening to it 10 hours per day gets a really tiresome after a while.

so its a bit "darkening" but all the details are there, but somewhat "muddy"

it's like a blur filter in photoshop.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search