The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SPL Crimson
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
Great stuff. I'm going to replace my RME FF 400 and my monitor controller with a Crimson. Also can play my synths without the computer attached, then. I guess I've decided
FF 400 hitting the market here too. Don´t spread the rumour so we get more money on ebay.
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Crimson users, I have a question before buying.
I'm a little confused about applications and inputs.

Let me quote from the SPL website:

"Line 1 has preference over Mic 1, Line 2 has preference over Mic 2."

So that means that I can't have synths connected to the Line inputs and microphone in one of the mic ins? i.e. I first have to unplug a synthesizer input to make the microphone record?
Is that correct?

2nd question:

This scheme from the SPL website shows how to connect synthesizers to the Crimson.
http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_uploa...rdMixer450.jpg

So can I really record synths over the Source inputs? Do they have any preference over another input, does any other input have any preference over them, or are the Source inputs completely independent?

I'd like to have this minimal setup:

Microphone
Synth A (mono)
Groovebox (mono)
Mixer with all other synths (stereo)

Is that configuration possible at once?
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

-

Last edited by Polarelch; 20th July 2014 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Question 1: correct, you have to unplug line 1 to get a signal from the mic 1 input. The same is correct for the HZ inputs on the front over Line 3 and Line 4. But it is a bit easier to unplug those High-Z inputs from the front.

Before I look at question 2, your minimal configuration isn't possible or at least not in the way you described it:
the Crimson can record up to 4 analogue-mono signals or 2 stereo signals or 1 stereo signal and 2 mono-signals, but not 1 stereo-source and 3 mono-sources as in your minimal-configuration example. As long as you don't use the spdif-in. Using it you could record up to 6 mono-sources or 3 stereo-sources or whatever combination of 6 inputs you want.

You could use Mic1 for the mic, line 2 for a mono-source like a synth and line 3+4 for your stereo-mixer. But you couldn't connect your second mono-source, in your example the mono-groovebox.
Unless you have any kind of gear with an spdif-out and analogue-in. Then you would have another stereo-source available for recording. I use an old lexicon mpx 100 multi-effects unit for this purpose in bypass modus.
You can connect 3 more independent stereo-sources not for recording but for monitoring purposes without unplugging anything.
Or let's assume your groovebox or your synth has midi. You could monitor the output of the groovebox while recording but record only the midi-signals to your DAW or simply sychronize the DAW via midi to your groovebox or the other way round and record the groovebox later.

One more restriction: spdif only works when the Crimson is connected to a DAW.
Trick: it still works if you unplug usb and the Crimson still runs.

Question 2:
The grafic is a bit misleading IMO. Here is a picture with a higher resolution.

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_uploa...dMixer1500.jpg

No, you can't record instruments connected to one of the source-inputs. They have confused KB 7 and KB 5 in the picture.

In this picture 2 stereo-keyboards are connected to Line1/2 (Keyboard 1) and Line3/4 (Keyboard 2). The Keyboards 3, 4 and 5 (all stereo-keyboards) are connected to the sources-inputs I've described above. These are only monitored but not recorded.
If you look at the DAW-pictogramm on the right side KB 3 and 4 are absent. KB 7 is mistakenly replaced through KB 5.

Keyboard 5 on the right side should be keyboard 7 that is shown on the left side as being connected to the spdif-input.

Don't get me wrong: I love the Crimson and it's possibilities. Compared to the competition with comparable audio-quality the possibilities to record and monitor different sources are superior, but it can't do anything! And some of those manuals were written very very fast and not always corrected...

Dirk

Quote:
Crimson users, I have a question before buying.
I'm a little confused about applications and inputs.

Let me quote from the SPL website:

"Line 1 has preference over Mic 1, Line 2 has preference over Mic 2."

So that means that I can't have synths connected to the Line inputs and microphone in one of the mic ins? i.e. I first have to unplug a synthesizer input to make the microphone record?
Is that correct?

2nd question:

This scheme from the SPL website shows how to connect synthesizers to the Crimson.
http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_uploa...rdMixer450.jpg

So can I really record synths over the Source inputs? Do they have any preference over another input, does any other input have any preference over them, or are the Source inputs completely independent?

I'd like to have this minimal setup:

Microphone
Synth A (mono)
Groovebox (mono)
Mixer with all other synths (stereo)

Is that configuration possible at once?
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Great, and not great, but thanks.
So many inputs and for my needs I can use only 4 (mic, 1 mono synth, stereo mixer) at the same time... that's very very limiting, especially as there's no ADAT.
Probably a dealbreaker. :(
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Head

Got my crimson today, first impression? gorgeous! unbelievably good for the money.....nice detail, depth and soundstage and it's got that spl-ee sound...warmish..mmmmm happee chappee!
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

...and I just ordered from Thomann earlier today. Should check it out at least!
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

So I got the Crimson after all! Just set it up and the general feeling I'm getting from fit so far is pure joy.
I have no scientific approach to compare audio interfaces, my only instrument is my heart or my soul or whatever you wanna call it, and just by the sound, it blows the Fireface 400 from the table. Could it be? Something cheaper that sounds much better?
Really, while I always thought the FF400 sounds - yes, good - but analytic, somewhat cold, the Crimson makes the sound come to life again. Is it just me, or is there any good reason why I feel that way?

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is latency, with 512 set I notice it, have to go down to 256 to enjoy playing my synths.
Is that something that might be improved via updates in the future, or is that something we'll have to live with?

But under the line, after 1 hour of having it running, I am more than happy.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

So I got the Crimson after all! Just set it up and the general feeling I'm getting from fit so far is pure joy.
I have no scientific approach to compare audio interfaces, my only instrument is my heart or my soul or whatever you wanna call it, and just by the sound, it blows the Fireface 400 from the table. Could it be? Something cheaper that sounds much better?
Really, while I always thought the FF400 sounds - yes, good - but analytic, somewhat cold, the Crimson makes the sound come to life again. Is it just me, or is there any good reason why I feel that way?

The only thing I'm a bit worried about is latency, with 512 set I notice it, have to go down to 256 to enjoy playing my synths.
Is that something that might be improved via updates in the future, or is that something we'll have to live with?

Old 25th July 2014
Here for the gear

Hi guys

just dropping a line to say that after LOTS of reading, searching, etc….i ended up buying the SPL Crimson

It sits on my desk as we speak & is VERY unobtrusive despite being quite big & i LOVE it's form factor - one thing though :

I don't know exactly how to describe this but i find my Cambridge Audio DacMagic was ''more musical'' than the Crimson just playing music from my iTunes library - or could this be just a more ''revealing nature'' as in more unforgiving of not so perfectly recorded albums ?
The sound is DEFINITELY fuller than the DacMagic, bass having plenty more weight & ''body'' but very controlled, not all over the place however the DacMagic made everything sound…..''musical'' is the only word that occurs to me to describe it…

Comparing it to my FiiO headphone amp, it just wipes the floor w/ the FiiO : despite the FiiO's generous power & nice, musical sound, the Crimson is steps above it in everything - power, detail, finesse, no treble harshness, full bodied & controlled bass - real nice !! My Sennheiser HD215 sound GREAT through it & NOT fatiguing at all...
All in all, i'm pretty happy & can't wait to start recording, i'm SURE it WILL BE MUCH, MUCH BETTER than my Zoom B3 interface… ;-)
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm pretty sure, you won't regret buying it. I'm not the guy to answer your questions about latency, but there are a lot of helpful postings on gearslutz regarding latency of the Crimson. But if you don't write what OS you use and what drivers - the Crimson HAL-drivers or the Core Audio Drivers - it's hard to answer your question.

What's the problem with setting your latency lower? Any negative side-effects when settings the latency to 256?
Another important matter: you shouldn't use an usb-hub if latency is an issue for you, even the good ones make you lose miliseconds...
I had another costly idea to get you the inputs you need: Audient offers a 2 channel mic-preamp with an spdif-out (The MICO) but it's as expensive as the Crimson is affordable, nearly 500,- Euros. But it would give you 2 extra channels.

Dirk
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

No, I don't have problems with 256 yet. "Yet", because I didn't have the time yet to test the Crimson with a bigger project.
As said, my overwhelming feeling is that I'm very much in love with the Crimson! Don't get me wrong
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Addict

I just tested amping the noise-floor from the analouge inputs of the Crimson
around 60 db digitally and pushing the headphone amp to listen.

Input 1 and 3 is around 4-5 db higher in analouge noisefloor than 2 and 4.
With 3 having a bit of a treble peak.

(This is without any 48v, filter's or gain tested.)

Also crossfeed from USB-signal transport is leaking through
when using higher sample rates than 44.1 khz. 192 sounds like a circus.

(It also seems that the usage of voltage from the clock and USB-transport somewhat modulates the Analouge-noisefloor. As if the analouge circuits get a somewhat different electrical signature when switching sample rate. Some sampling rates sounded treblier, sceeetchier, or duller... The most quiet was 44.1 by far.)

It would be appriciated if you could test this also.

I believe this digital noise is so low in nature that it would
not be audible when recording as I used, over 100 db of amp (digitally & analouge)
to pick it up and even a quiet recording has plenty of a dynamics.

But it would be such a bummer if a otherwise so flawless interface
would introduce this awful sound of USB-transportation noise.

I know the sound of it because I have recorded it, and also
noise sampels from motherboards, firewire-transports,
the sound of CPU's working all 8 threads on 100% (that sounds like a damn symphony btw!).

edit: (NOTE!)
I changed to another USB cable and no audible noise.
So try changing cable if you have this issue.

Last edited by mrtnsko; 1st August 2014 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: cable
Old 4th August 2014
Here for the gear

SPL Crimson - issues with line input gains

Can someone please advise how you handling with such a low gain on the line inputs? I've got my synth connected to line input 3 and 4 as a stereo signal but as you know it's routed as 1:1 which means no preamp applied to it (If I'm correct). Using my synth connected to Crimson, I had to add up a couple of vsti to gain more volumes. I've got a quite expensive analogue synthesizer but I haven't feel like I've been getting the best sound of it. I was thinking getting a mixer but then it worries me I might not be able to get the good quality with cheap mixers but I can't go for too fancy one. Also I thought about getting a preamp for it but then I'd rather sell Crimson and get higher value interface as preamps are as expensive as interface. Previously I had a Mbox pro 3 that I enjoyed recording and stuffs but I felt the needs on monitor controlling so I moved onto Crimson but now I'm in a dilemma. If I'm doing something wrong, could someone please correct me or give me some advice or please share how you dealing with this. Thanks.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zluez View Post
Can someone please advise how you handling with such a low gain on the line inputs? I've got my synth connected to line input 3 and 4 as a stereo signal but as you know it's routed as 1:1 which means no preamp applied to it (If I'm correct). Using my synth connected to Crimson, I had to add up a couple of vsti to gain more volumes. I've got a quite expensive analogue synthesizer but I haven't feel like I've been getting the best sound of it. I was thinking getting a mixer but then it worries me I might not be able to get the good quality with cheap mixers but I can't go for too fancy one. Also I thought about getting a preamp for it but then I'd rather sell Crimson and get higher value interface as preamps are as expensive as interface. Previously I had a Mbox pro 3 that I enjoyed recording and stuffs but I felt the needs on monitor controlling so I moved onto Crimson but now I'm in a dilemma. If I'm doing something wrong, could someone please correct me or give me some advice or please share how you dealing with this. Thanks.
Easy. Why not just connect your synth to the instrument inputs on the front instead of the line outputs 3 and 4? This is what I do with my Casio Privia px-5s since the line output is very low. Using the instrument inputs I have them up around 10 to 12 o'clock depending on what I'm playing. Just don't let it clip.
Old 5th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotini View Post
Easy. Why not just connect your synth to the instrument inputs on the front instead of the line outputs 3 and 4? This is what I do with my Casio Privia px-5s since the line output is very low. Using the instrument inputs I have them up around 10 to 12 o'clock depending on what I'm playing. Just don't let it clip.
Do you mean using headphone output instead of main stereo outputs? I'm not sure but just wonder what the quality differences would be.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zluez View Post
Do you mean using headphone output instead of main stereo outputs? I'm not sure but just wonder what the quality differences would be.
I guess he meant line 3/4 inputs when he wrote outputs. He suggests to use the High-Z inputs on the front that are meant for guitars or basses instead of the line-inputs of the Crimson.
Dirk
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

If anybody is interested in specs I got hold of this:

We use two oscillators:
1. 22,5792MHz for SR 44,1kHz, 88,2 kHz and 176,4 kHz
2. 24,576MHz for SR 48kHz, 96,kHz und 192kHz.
When synced via SPDIF IN both are deactivated.
The oscillators are not temperature compensated, nevertheless the freq stability tolerance is +/- 30ppm (0,003%).

own notes:
The USB is XMOS (and works in Linux too, duno about swapping sampling rate on the fly though...) XMOS is one of the best in the world I've heard
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Duplicate
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Maniac

SPL Crimson price is now down to around £350, and it's looking like a real bargain ...

SPL Crimson Audio Interface Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhGhIqzMNQU
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Addict

Still has this little awkard difference between Input 3 and input 4. Unamped.
can someone other check this, if it's just my card... also a slight treble peak around 15.000 hz @ channel 1, and 3.

http://s29.postimg.org/sfcy20hmf/Namnl_s_terst_llda.png - cha diff3erence

http://s30.postimg.org/lalzpb31d/image.png - 15k peak
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Addict

*ddoubletap*
Old 25th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtnsko View Post
Still has this little awkard difference between Input 3 and input 4. Unamped.
can someone other check this, if it's just my card... also a slight treble peak around 15.000 hz @ channel 1, and 3.

http://s29.postimg.org/sfcy20hmf/Namnl_s_terst_llda.png - cha diff3erence

http://s30.postimg.org/lalzpb31d/image.png - 15k peak
How do you adjust the volume of the crimson?
And how do you adjust the -9 db - level? (in the posted mixer-pic)
Do you use a Y-cable to feed inputs 3 & 4?
In my case it was the cable, when I changed the inputs, the difference between the levels also changed...
can´t comment to the 15k-peak...
greetings!
Old 25th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
How do you adjust the volume of the crimson?
And how do you adjust the -9 db - level? (in the posted mixer-pic)
Do you use a Y-cable to feed inputs 3 & 4?
In my case it was the cable, when I changed the inputs, the difference between the levels also changed...
can´t comment to the 15k-peak...
greetings!
-9db is (bottom) on the knob on the SPL Crimson!

I record the noise without inserts into the unit.
Does your level out when using inserts into the unit? Maybe it's something do to with load.
Old 26th August 2014
Quote:
-9db is (bottom) on the knob on the SPL Crimson!

I record the noise without inserts into the unit.
Does your level out when using inserts into the unit? Maybe it's something do to with load.
Sorry, I´m not sure if I get whats the problem, when I plug an instrument to input 3 it behaves exactly like input 4, no difference in levels...
greetings!
btw, it´s -6db when you turn the button down
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
Sorry, I´m not sure if I get whats the problem, when I plug an instrument to input 3 it behaves exactly like input 4, no difference in levels...
greetings!
btw, it´s -6db when you turn the button down
Thanks bro... SPL is on it and helping me
Old 26th August 2014
Quote:
Thanks bro... SPL is on it and helping me
Good to hear!!
Old 28th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I just bought one for £349, so I couldn't say no at that price. First impressions are it looks better than in the pics and it's heavy! I haven't tested the mic pres yet, but it sounds pretty good and I was impressed with the instrument DI, it picked up all the nuances of the three pickups on my HSS Strat. I think you could make a great album with this little box (if you don't need a lot of inputs). Being more of a songwriter the inputs are plenty for me. I'll continue to browse the interface market, but there will always be a place in my life for the Crimson. In short, it's a bargain and exceeds expectation.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Maniac

I just want to say quickly that I am very happy with the SPL Crimson. At first I was having latency problems until I uninstalled the drivers to just use Core Audio. This fix everything for me. No more latency. The interface works wonderfully and sounds beautiful. I ended up selling my Metric Halo ULN-2, not because it isn't as good, but because I wanted a desktop interface of comparable quality with 4 inputs. I'm not looking back.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search