The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
USED ProTools HD2 Accel worth buying???
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head
USED ProTools HD2 Accel worth buying???

Hi,

i found a very appealing deal for a Pro Tools HD2 Accel system for just 1100€/1500$ and i am thinking seriously buying it.

It comes with a PTHD7.4 license and DIGI 192 I/O DIGITAL.

If i buy it finally, i am going to extend it with newer converters and also, i 'll use PT HD8 instead of HD7 on OSX Mountain Lion.

Does it worth it? i know that it is heavily used on a pro-studio

What test should i do? Are there any ''hidden'' things that i have to check? i heard somewhere about digitest..?? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nya4224 View Post
Hi,

i found a very appealing deal for a Pro Tools HD2 Accel system for just 1100€/1500$ and i am thinking seriously buying it.

It comes with a PTHD7.4 license and DIGI 192 I/O DIGITAL.

If i buy it finally, i am going to extend it with newer converters and also, i 'll use PT HD8 instead of HD7 on OSX Mountain Lion.

Does it worth it? i know that it is heavily used on a pro-studio

What test should i do? Are there any ''hidden'' things that i have to check? i heard somewhere about digitest..?? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!
I think you'll need to upgrade to 10 to use mountain lion...certainly no point paying for an upgrade to 8 if you can run 10 (and you could even run 11 natively for programming on a laptop or something for the same price).

Is it pci or pcie though? If pci - not that much use unless you either have a pc or hackintosh with pci slots. Otherwise you need a g5 or noisy magma chassis to run it.

Pcie - it is a good deal. But I suspect it's pci at that price, which is not that much more than the 192d is worth.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head
Thanks for your reply!

I currently use a brand new hackintosh build with 2 pci slots. Also, i agree with running HD10.

The offer is unfortunately with PCI cards, but i don't plan to change my main computer in the near future - at least 3-4 years ahead.

My main concern is to determine if buying this HD rig, is a viable solution for at least next 4-5 years. As i know, the cards have been used heavily on a pro studio and i don't know if there are any tests except Digitest to see if everything works properly.

Are there any tips on buying used HD systems?

Should i be aware of anything about physical stress of the cards? They may have been used for a decade on everyday basis. Is it that bad?
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

I currently use a brand new hackintosh build with 2 pci slots. Also, i agree with running HD10.

The offer is unfortunately with PCI cards, but i don't plan to change my main computer in the near future - at least 3-4 years ahead.

My main concern is to determine if buying this HD rig, is a viable solution for at least next 4-5 years. As i know, the cards have been used heavily on a pro studio and i don't know if there are any tests except Digitest to see if everything works properly.

Are there any tips on buying used HD systems?

Should i be aware of anything about physical stress of the cards? They may have been used for a decade on everyday basis. Is it that bad?
Well, if you know the PCI situ, it's probably not a bad issue. I know studios still running 8, and I think there's going to be plenty sitting on 10 for a while given the HDX situation, so I think you should be good for a few years at least.

If the card works, it works. unless there's a component about to fall off the card physically, it should be fine to go. Being used "heavily" in a pro studio is nothing really - it's not like gigging an amp, it just sits there and works. What stress? maybe check the digilink ports on the back aren't loose.

Given your hack situ, it's probably worth it. IF you need HD...many don't.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head
Your answer gave me a bit more confidence.

Yes i know pretty well what's exactly PTHD. I am aware that it is not as commonly accepted as ''one more'' dsp audio system with dsp plugins. The 48bit internal processing is also one of the biggest advantages.

Given the price is really low and it fortunately fits in my new system, and buying and an HD10 license gives me at least 3-4 years ahead, i may buy it finally.

Thanks a lot for the responses
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Your answer gave me a bit more confidence.

Yes i know pretty well what's exactly PTHD. I am aware that it is not as commonly accepted as ''one more'' dsp audio system with dsp plugins. The 48bit internal processing is also one of the biggest advantages.

Given the price is really low and it fortunately fits in my new system, and buying and an HD10 license gives me at least 3-4 years ahead, i may buy it finally.

Thanks a lot for the responses
Maybe the worst thing about buying it will be you will get addicted to the onboard processing and low-latency throughput... Thats what happened to me, now every upgrade is a life event compared to people with native systems
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
Maybe the worst thing about buying it will be you will get addicted to the onboard processing and low-latency throughput... Thats what happened to me, now every upgrade is a life event compared to people with native systems
so true..!

because i just built my computer, the...next major upgrade for me will be only when it will melt from the working hours or when my musical talent will exceed the Pro Tools HD capabilities

Edit: or if i win a lottery or a Grammy and have the cash to buy a full - super - expensive - wow- HDX rig. And a house to put it inside. And a car (off topic)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search