The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Software Installation/Update kills Waves licenses
Old 21st October 2013
Software Installation/Update kills Waves licenses

I had the last time a lot of problems with Waves new license manager.
After the update to Windows 8.1 all licenses are gone (disconnected devices). I rolled back the Windows installation to have a chance to move the licenses to the Waves cloud. Recovered 8.1 and moved the licenses from the Cloud to the "connected device" of Windows 8.1

Later I installed Vmware Player after this... yes... all Waves licenses are gone again. There was a new "connected device" with a different id and the previous device with the attached licenses was "unconnected".

Be aware if you use the new Waves method and not a USB flash drive to handle Waves licenses. A system update or a new installed software which installs a driver (Vmware Player installs some network stuff) can disable all Waves licenses. There is only one recovery reset per year so if you have no system backup, the licenses are gone for one year. You can ask the support if they can manually reset the recovery but this is not working very often. They ask to install a team-viewer application so that Waves support guys can look to you computer to see what happens.

Before running a system update or install new drivers or application which installs some new virtual devices, the best solution is to move the licenses back to the license cloud. After the update move the licenses back to the connected device.
Old 27th November 2013
Lives for gear
I just recently upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 and none of my Waves plugins had any issues. In fact, I upgraded to 8 from 7 (upgraded, did not do a fresh install) and all licenses for all of my plugins (except 2 of many Nebula libraries) remained intact. I install all plugins to a custom location that is not on the same HD as my OS, so that may have been what saved me. But this is very curious because those licenses are tied to your hardware, aren't they? I thought that those issues would only happen if something like the HD or motherboard was changed. Are you running all of your apps with elevated privileges? That can cause problems.
Old 4th December 2013
Gear Nut

I just got the free RenBass that Waves offered for Black Friday - my first experience with Waves. Shortly after activating it I replaced my NI interface with a Scarlett. This seems to have caused Waves to believe I am using my licenses on a new device. This is pretty irritating. If it wasn't a free plugin, I'd probably be asking for money back or disputing the purchase.
Old 4th December 2013
Deleted User
I had a somewhat similar experience recently. All my licenses were on the cloud. Inexplicably, my plugs wouldn't authorize and it said I could only do so once.

Since the communication seemed somehow fouled, I called Waves, not wanting to blow my single annual shot at reauthorization. We decided the Thumb Drive was the way to go.

I did pick up the free plug last week and it authorized without a hitch. I'm going to image the Thumb, too, just in case it ever fails.

Their process is a little tedious, but has given me a year without too much grief. Customer Service was polite and helpful. Could be worse, I suppose.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search