The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Monitors for a newbie?
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Monitors for a newbie?

Hello there everyone,

I just posted this to ask which monitors i should buy. I'm looking at the £250 price range and i cant really go much higher than that. I'm also fairly new to producing but have the basic gear you need (minus decent monitors) E.g. an audio interface, a midi controller, etc.
I am currently looking at the M-audio BX8 D2. This is because its super cheap for an 8" and the reviews generally have been good. I was wondering whether i should stay with this choice or get 5" monitors - Like the KRK 5 G2/3 or the Yamaha Hs50s. The reason im leaning towards the BX8 is because i probably wont get a subwoofer till much later.... any replies would be appreciated
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Honestly, you're not going to get real 'monitors' at that price. You'd be much better spending that money on either very nice open backed headphones or second hand high quality hi fi speakers + amp. Eg I use KEF Cantor III as a secondary monitor. Or you might if lucky find NS10s for that price... but you'll still need an amp...

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

you should check krk rp5 or rp6. i've done couple of remixes released on major labels on those speakers so they should be enough for start. also check behringer truth 2031a i've been using them for couple of years with great results and i know couple of successful producers working with behringers truth 2031a.
m-audio bx8 d2 probably will work aswell.
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
Honestly, you're not going to get real 'monitors' at that price. You'd be much better spending that money on either very nice open backed headphones or second hand high quality hi fi speakers + amp. Eg I use KEF Cantor III as a secondary monitor. Or you might if lucky find NS10s for that price... but you'll still need an amp...

Sent from my GT-I9300
Yeah, i do realise theyre not exactly going to be incredible, but i do want something just to use in my free time (im only 14, so i couldnt really tell how dry the speakers are and stuff). I have previously just been using my TMA-1 headphones, but obviously they are quite straining over a long period of time. I have also used some Philips HiFi speakers, but obviouslt they arent the best and the woofer is slightly broken :/. Thanks for the reply though! (PS. I do already have an amp)
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

You can certainly get by with the BX8s. Same thing with the Behringer Truths. If you are not going to set up a room specifically for mixing then getting a high end pair of monitors won't make much of a difference.
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDis View Post
You can certainly get by with the BX8s. Same thing with the Behringer Truths. If you are not going to set up a room specifically for mixing then getting a high end pair of monitors won't make much of a difference.
Ok, thanks, i think this is probably the best bet for me... Its only my bedroom so its not 'acoustically treated'.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, I get it. And I still reckon if you splash £250 on an old pair of sealed-box KEFs, B&W, Rogers etc hi fi speakers and a Quad, Rotel or other decent old amp, you'll have a better, more revealing system than if you buy a budget set of ported prosumer 'monitors'. No matter how much your inner 'slut wants to buy new, and buy things branded as pro monitors.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Ps... just read that you are only 14. Great that you're asking advice on this stuff so young. You should read up on the problemd with budget ported monitors. Long story short is that until you get expensive, there are usually trade-offs in ported designs in order to make the bass seem impressive. In particular there's usually a resonance at the low end which (a) emphssises a certain note and (b) means the LFs get smeared - a kick won't stop quickly enough. Also, while the bass extension seems greater than in sealed box designs, it drops off very quickly.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yeah, I get it. And I still reckon if you splash £250 on an old pair of sealed-box KEFs, B&W, Rogers etc hi fi speakers and a Quad, Rotel or other decent old amp, you'll have a better, more revealing system than if you buy a budget set of ported prosumer 'monitors'. No matter how much your inner 'slut wants to buy new, and buy things branded as pro monitors.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Im sorry to say my inner slut is definately starting to come out here....I think i will stick with something new as (even though i do know they sound worse) they have customer support(even though apparently the m audio service is pretty wank), and i can return them. Also they wouldnt have been used before, so i know they shouldnt break too quickly.
So yeah, i think i probably will stick with the m audios. Thanks for your insight!
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ps... just read that you are only 14. Great that you're asking advice on this stuff so young. You should read up on the problemd with budget ported monitors. Long story short is that until you get expensive, there are usually trade-offs in ported designs in order to make the bass seem impressive. In particular there's usually a resonance at the low end which (a) emphssises a certain note and (b) means the LFs get smeared - a kick won't stop quickly enough. Also, while the bass extension seems greater than in sealed box designs, it drops off very quickly.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Ok, i will be sure to Yeah, im sure i wont notice it yet though! maybe when im a bit older ill upgrade Thanks!
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Don't worry about not getting high end stuff right away. You will be amazed at how great you can get stuff to sound with "prosumer" gear. As in most other things in life, its not the hammer, its the carpenter.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Don't be so quick to downplay your ears. Most of us would give anything to have 14 year old ears!

Go to the store, and listen to every pair of monitors in stock, even the expensive ones that are out of your budget. Take along some of your favorite music, and compare as many speakers as you can. Buy the ones your ears like most within your price range, even if they aren't the ones you went their to purchase.

When you get home, unpack carefully (so you can return them in "like new" condition if they don't make the cut). Now, get to work on finding a good mix position in your bedroom. IMO, the positioning is the most important part of the process. To often, I see project studios set up to "look cool" with no regard for the affect on the sound in the room.

Start with the monitors (playing that favorite music) and your chair, and move them around and listen to the sound in different locations. With a little experimentation, you will find a big, open sound with good stereo imaging- where sound seems to come from the space in front of you, and not simply from the speakers...
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justDoug View Post
Don't be so quick to downplay your ears. Most of us would give anything to have 14 year old ears!

Go to the store, and listen to every pair of monitors in stock, even the expensive ones that are out of your budget. Take along some of your favorite music, and compare as many speakers as you can. Buy the ones your ears like most within your price range, even if they aren't the ones you went their to purchase.

When you get home, unpack carefully (so you can return them in "like new" condition if they don't make the cut). Now, get to work on finding a good mix position in your bedroom. IMO, the positioning is the most important part of the process. To often, I see project studios set up to "look cool" with no regard for the affect on the sound in the room.

Start with the monitors (playing that favorite music) and your chair, and move them around and listen to the sound in different locations. With a little experimentation, you will find a big, open sound with good stereo imaging- where sound seems to come from the space in front of you, and not simply from the speakers...
Unfortunately i dont have many music stores around me, but next weekend im going to one, so i will be sure to do this. thank you for the advice,it was very helpful!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search