The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves SSL alternative?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Waves SSL alternative?

So now I have a new Macbook Pro and most of my favored plugins are ported
over to AAX64. I've been a die hard user of Waves SSL bundle but now I have
to pay my $130 WUP if I want to move forward with PT 11(and Logic X)

It's been a few years and newer stuff has hit the market since and I'm wondering
is there anything new out there that's worth jumping ship for?
it doesn't have to be an SSL emulation,but something that adds
some analog-ness to it would be nice. Granted $130 isn't as bad
as what others are having to shell out for WUP but I figured I'd
look around and consider something else if I was going to fork over
close to $150 or more.

I know UAD is all the rage but I can't afford a Satellite nor an Apollo interface.
It's going to have to be native for a while for me.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Slate is releasing a new rack plugin with a ssl eq in it. I don't want to pay the 130 either.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol drippy View Post
Slate is releasing a new rack plugin with a ssl eq in it. I don't want to pay the 130 either.
Zero malicious intent in this comment - I own all the slate plugs - but they are saying January for the rack and the end of the year for the full 64 bit AAX ports and slate are not known for hitting their deadlines... Not even close but it's usually because they are adding features and when they do finally come out they are worth it but if you're looking for a current thing you might want to check out the IK SSL (I don't actually use it - I have the UAD but I know it's AAX64 and people like it) sadly, SSL have no current plans to update Duende to AAX64
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

You might like to check out Metric Halo's channel strip. Not sure what music you are into but Serban Ghanea uses this along with Babyface's engineer. Nice sounding plugin.
Old 20th October 2013
IK Multimedia | T-RackS Custom Shop (T-RackS)
British Channel
White Channel
Bus Compressor
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you are Waves v.9, you don't have to pay WUP to get AAX. They're not going out of their way to let people know, so just thought I'd mention it.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamikemusic View Post
IK Multimedia | T-RackS Custom Shop (T-RackS)
British Channel
White Channel
Bus Compressor
ik is having agroup buy sale on this if you buy it and then if enough other users purchase a plugin bundle from them you get another bundle free pretty good deal. they did this with their synths and thats how i got them all for the price of one.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Waves SSL has been replaced by The Glue and NI Solid Mix for me.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Check out the Duende version. IMO it walks all over the Waves.
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
The Duende plugins are great; the CodeMeter copy protection - not so much. Very unstable (at least on Mac), not the greatest customer support and updates & development are very slow. Make sure to demo the plugins first to see if it works on your system.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
Yes but he's asking about PT11/AAX64 which SSL have announced they currently have no plans to support
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
?..which SSL have announced they currently have no plans to support
That's not true...
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by frejahel View Post
Make sure to demo the plugins first to see if it works on your system.
I tried it a while ago and ended up with lots of frustration and a full reinstall of my Mac. Not very motivating indeed.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
That's not true...
They have a "plan" in the sense that it is on their radar and they will monitor demand and IF there are enough support tickets requesting it filed by Duende users who want it THEN SSL will consider doing it... Not something that will help the OP with his current switch to PT11 and, given the painfully slow update/bug fix cycles SSL is on I wouldn't buy Duende hoping they will be AAX (but if you don't care about pro tools I'd absolutely buy them - they're great except, of course, the copy protection on Mac)

Pro Tools Expert - News - SSL Have No Plans To Port Duende Native Plugins To AAX - But We Can Change That

and

SSL Duende not interested in porting plugins to AAX?

I wish it wasn't so and hope they change their minds ASAP but there are other threads with direct confirmation by Jim and others at SSL in addition to these - here, DUC, etc.

EDIT: Copied Directly from the SSL Duende FAQ Section of the SSL Website:

Question
Will SSL be developing for AAX?

Answer

FAQ published on: 27/10/2011
Last edited: 8/4/2013

SSL have no current plans to release AAX version of our Duende plug-ins. However, we remain open to looking into their development in the future.

Last edited by superwack; 21st October 2013 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: SSL FAQ
Old 6th November 2013
Gear Addict

T Racks British Studio Series Bundle is $150.00 at the moment. Buy it by Friday, and get another bundle free in a group buy. I did this last night. I bought the British Bundle and got the Vintage Compressor bundle for free, well worth the money. NO WUP. IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
Old 6th November 2013
Gear Guru

buying all those mentionned will be the same price (or more expensive ) as your WUP ...so get the WUP and keep using it for 10 years !!

as you master them ...keep using them ...
Old 6th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
buying all those mentionned will be the same price (or more expensive ) as your WUP ...so get the WUP and keep using it for 10 years !!

as you master them ...keep using them ...
7 plugins for $150 by November 8th. That's a good deal.
Old 6th November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz View Post
7 plugins for $150 by November 8th. That's a good deal.
? ? ?

EDIT : ok got it the group buy .......exact exellent plugin .....the opto comp , the fairchild are worth that alone !! + CS

I totally for got man !!! will post it to my students damn....
Old 6th November 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
? ? ?

EDIT : ok got it the group buy .......exact exellent plugin .....the opto comp , the fairchild are worth that alone !! + CS

I totally for got man !!! will post it to my students damn....
Yeah, that's what I was saying. Instead of spending money on the WUP, get in this group buy and get IK's SSL emulations and another bundle for free. Tell your students to do it now.
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Guru

done 1 min after my post

But to be fair , the IK protection system and also the shop , the jam and all ...are really also a pain imho
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Addict

your right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search