The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Straight up: more powerful, PT11 Native vs Logic Pro
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Straight up: more powerful, PT11 Native vs Logic Pro

Hi guys,

I'm just about to launch into some serious record production and I'd like to know if PT11 Native or Logic Pro (9 or 10) would offer me the highest stability, track count, and power - that is number of plugins, vi's etc.

Also, just about to get a new Mac to run it all with my Apogee ensemble. Will a new MacBook pro be powerful enough to run large sessions?

As I mentioned I need reliability and stability.

I know PT 11 doesn't yet support Native Instruments (which I use a lot) so that's a bummer. Sylenth I would have to forgo under PT 11 also.

Any help/insights you can offer would be great.

I really need a pro system to ensure happy work flow.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

Very good question , i also look forward for this count tracks logic vs pro tools 11.
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear
Pt 10 is great. All bugs sorted out. So if you plan to go with pt, stick with pt 10 until 11 bugs are all fixed.
That kind of bugs fix normally take around a year!
Apogee is perfect for a stable system to run on a mac based pt or logic.
Perfect and seamless integration and stable operation.
When you get your mac, juts make sure that you max out the available ram and allocate an additional external drive via firewire if not using the internal one ( a second dedicated drive).
However, logic x is another beast on its own.
Still new and there is so much to discover about it.
One thing is for almost sure that to me it sounds better than pt.
What ever they have done to the internal processing, it just sounds better...
This is my opinion. Yet i start to hear more of the same comments from many of my seasoned pt/hd users as well!
In any case, you can not go wrong with any one of them.
You could spend all your time reading about reviews, forums, comments like this.
I sincerely suggest you not to waste so much time here and get the logic x and start your learning curve and see if it suits your needs. If you don't like it than you could always switch it pt.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks....

So just on the computer, should a new MacBook Pro be powerful enough to run large sessions? Will def max out the RAM (I think the max is 16gb).

Cheers!
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear
I have both mac mini and mac book pro, both quad core and i5,
both have maxed out ram of 16 gb with an 7200 rpm external firewire drive ( wd studio).
Everything runs perfectly without a hick up. That max i ran was 26 channels with full of plugins at 24 bit 96 kHz and i enabled all four cores both for pt 10 and logic 9. Even my system usage showed less than 60% usage.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks for letting me know. Am I correct to assume at 44.1 or 48k I should get a substantial number more tracks than at 96k?

The most tracks I should get to would be around 50. Possible on a MacBook pro with 16gb ram NATIVE?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
If you want reliability, Logic X is absolutely not what you want. It´s full of bugs and weirdness. Logic 9.1.8 is really stable though. Can´t say anything about PT11 but Logic X is a no no when it comes to stability. I would wait past 10.1.xx before even thinking of doing anything serious with it.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass View Post
Hi guys,

I'm just about to launch into some serious record production and I'd like to know if PT11 Native or Logic Pro (9 or 10) would offer me the highest stability, track count, and power - that is number of plugins, vi's etc.

Also, just about to get a new Mac to run it all with my Apogee ensemble. Will a new MacBook pro be powerful enough to run large sessions?

As I mentioned I need reliability and stability.

I know PT 11 doesn't yet support Native Instruments (which I use a lot) so that's a bummer. Sylenth I would have to forgo under PT 11 also.

Any help/insights you can offer would be great.

I really need a pro system to ensure happy work flow.
Until Apple confirms whether the new LPX mixer is a 64bit audio mixer or, as I would suspect only a 64 bit application, then PT11 is the way to go. 11 will sound better at every point because of the new design.
Old 20th October 2013
Here for the gear
PT is great. No question about it.
Industry standard with so many users.
Yet, ver 11 bugs are not sorted out yet.
Before moving into a serious project, one should stay with version 10 on PT.
For logic X, indeed it is in the beginning of the road. And yes indeed, the bugs need to be sorted out as well.
But even with its current version it sounds great.

However, there is nothing out there with so much functionality and features can come close to 200 usd for a DAW...

So for a major project, to be on the safe side, PT 10 ( definitely NOT 11)

I would also check NUENDO or even CUBASE for that matter (all 64 bit).

The best thing would be check out MacProVideo site and take a look at the at program ( PT, LOGIC, CUBASE) to see which one is more appealing to you and is suitable for the type of application you have at hand.
Otherwise, you need to get with people who actually uses one of the above and see with your eyes and hear with your ears to make a calculated decision.
Best

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search