The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iLok without the dongle?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

iLok without the dongle?

I could swear that there was mention of a possibility of doing iLok authorizations without a physical iLok. I thought I had seen this listed as one of the features of the new iLok manager.

But . . . now I can't find mention of it anywhere and from everything I see, it appears a physical iLok is indeed still required.

Is my memory playing tricks on me???
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, the latest iLok sync software allows you to put your authorizations on an iLok or on the computer's hard drive. But the software has to support it. So far, only a couple companies are offering the HD authorization.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Yes, the latest iLok sync software allows you to put your authorizations on an iLok or on the computer's hard drive. But the software has to support it. So far, only a couple companies are offering the HD authorization.
Ah, now I see. That makes it a lot clearer, because I was looking at UVI (Mach 5) libraries and they indicate that you need a physical iLok, so I was confused.

Interestingly, after digging a little further, I see that UVI's Sparkverb allows a hard drive authorization, even though their UVI Workstation (sample player) does not. Hopefully they'll make their Workstation hard drive hard drive authorizable as well soon.

Thanks Joe!
Old 18th October 2013
I wish Pro Tools supported this so that I could free up a port.

:(
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Since we use computers more than ever these days, we should get iloks and 2-3 auths. Maybe it wouldn't get crack as much? The buyers get the limited access to their license, while crackers get the full access.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Finally..! Now the wait starts for the plugins companies to fix the support for this.
Old 19th October 2013
Motown legend

Somebody told me years ago that it's important to understand iLok is a security toolkit that developers can use in a great many different ways.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Somebody told me years ago that it's important to understand iLok is a security toolkit that developers can use in a great many different ways.
Exactly. It's all based on PACE copy protection. Some companies, such as Melodyne and iZotope have always offered both iLok and challenge/response HDD options for authorization.
It seems though with the newest iLok software, they have streamlined the process to have both options. It's just a matter of the software companies adopting the feature.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search