The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
from PC to IMAC
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

from PC to IMAC

Hello world, I'm very excited about switching from PC to MAC for music production.

Just got a new IMAC I5, 21.5 inch.

The last time I used a MAC was the IMAC in 2000(Purple). I remember MAC OS8(I think it was the OS8).

Anyway, I'm going to do everything IN THE BOX. No analogs, no VA's, just INTHE BOX. I feel WHen I had too much equipment, focus suffered.

I still make Old School Classic Synthpop/Psychill.

What would you first get for the IMAC? I'm starting over.. I have no controller, no sound card, no software plugs.. What would you get first?

I will get.

1. LOGIC - finally will be switiching to LOGIC from ABleton.

2. Sound Card first- what's a good card for 200.00 - 500.00.

2. Softsynths - will get DCAM, Tremor and Geist or Maschine with Massive.

3. my Keyboard controller - Maudio Venom or Novation Ultra

4. Do I need UAD Cards? I used the UAD cards for my PC but my PC was from 07. I know computers got faster .
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Regarding soundcards/interfaces, it would help if you mentioned how many inputs and outputs you might need.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

As mentioned, depends on how many inputs you need. If you're all ITB, and doing synth type stuff, it sounds like you won't need a lot of inputs. MIDI won't be an issue if you go with a USB keyboard controller.

There are many audio interfaces available. I use an MBOX 3 with my Mac, and it has performed flawlessly and with very low latency. I use it with Logic and Protools 10.

Before getting any plugins (synths and FX), live with Logic for a while. There as some fantastic synths, samplers, drum machines and keyboard/organ/clav emulations, solid reverb, and decent sounding basic compression and eq.

As for the keyboard controller, I always put feel over features. I currently use an Maudio keyboard, and it has a good amount of tension, which I like, and the keys feel solid. I had a Novation, and it was OK, but not as stiff. I prefer a stiffer synth weighted keyboard. I also tried a CME and it was a piece of crap. No tension and the keys physically made a loud clicking noise when you played.

You only need a UAD card if you want UAD exclusive plugins. A modern iMac should give you pleanty of power.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search