The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Potential audio problem with new iMacs
Old 10th November 2013
Here for the gear

The dropouts, pops, distortions, or how you would call it, just appear on playback in Logic X, even on very simple projects with one track. The bounced file is ok.

While playing that file in Finder, the distortion can reappear, sometimes even with internal audio.
Old 10th November 2013
Myr
Gear Addict

Has anyone tried downgrading one of these new iMacs or MBPs to Mountain Lion? I'm considering doing just to be able to continue to work.
Old 10th November 2013
Here for the gear

No, I've not yet tried to downgrade to OS X 10.8. I tried the pram reset, without success :-(. Playback was ok for 2 minutes, that it started again...
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Hi everyone. I think I've discovered a fix for some problems with audio & the late 2013 iMacs!! Note, this will likely *not* help those with the distorting audio, as I have never had the problem. However, if you have had a disconnecting interface (it's a mild annoyance, but annoying enough...) then read on!

The last two days, my Duet 2 (USB) was disconnecting randomly. I may either be a genius, or it just hasn't happened yet today after I made the following change. I am hoping for the 'genius' option... lol.

So yeah, I've spent a couple of days with my new iMac (late 2013, 3.5Ghz, 16GbRam, 7200rpm 3TB drive, Mountain Lion) and the audio was constantly dropping out, usually when I changed programs (for example, I was working in Logic, then quit, and decided to listen to tunes in iTunes). This would happen like 30 times per day.

I've troubleshooted for a while, and hooked up a system which (so far, all day today) has not disconnected once! And it was my heaviest day of computer use, opening several programs, closing them, running audio. I kept trying to make it disconnect, and not once did it disconnect!

Anyways, this is a possible fix for anyone else. Let me know if it helps your problem, what interface you are using, etc.

Firstly, you need to get the Soundflower audio routing app.

After that, set up your computer so that the output for everything is always soundflower. Make everything's output soundflower (Logic, Pro Tools, etc) and then set up the soundflowerbed so that it has Duet USB checked and channel 1 & 2 checked. So far, no disconnects at all! Audio sounds smooth, no distortion at all. No disconnects. Just like my trusty ole 2009 iMac!

I posted some pics for those who want to mirror my (so far, flawless) set up.

Let's just hope it stays this way. I will *definitely* let you know if I have any more problems with this set up! But now it's just smooth sailing! :D
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

I upgraded to Mavericks but still the Symphony is unusable.

I opened a support ticket with Apogee, let's see what they say although I have a hunch this is a hardware problem on Apple's side.
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Now my only problem is that if I restart the computer, Soundflower is off. I simply have to click it, but I wonder why even though I have 'open at log in' checked, the little black soundflower icon is not present. I have to click the purple tray icon to make the black one present (and start working).

This is a veeery minor annoyance. Anyone know how to fix it?
Old 11th November 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

You can add Soundflower under System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items.
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

Unfortunately, Soundflower doesn't work with my synchronisation problem on my new iMac and Roland Octa Capture. Latency is about 1 sec and the distorted, interrupted playback still remains.

You can listen to it, if you want...
Attached Files

Synchronize Error.m4a (142.5 KB, 186 views)

Old 11th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
You can add Soundflower under System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items.
I tried that. No worky...
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmax2912 View Post
Unfortunately, Soundflower doesn't work with my synchronisation problem on my new iMac and Roland Octa Capture. Latency is about 1 sec and the distorted, interrupted playback still remains.

You can listen to it, if you want...
I believe there are multiple problems going on here, not just one. The sound flower fix only works with the disconnect problem. To fix distorted audio, you'll either have to get a non-fusion drive or wait for apple to fix the software problem.

I hope these fixes come out soon!
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

I've contacted AppleCare Logic Pro Support. Please do the same, so they get aware of the problem!
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

Hi everybody,

When I call Apple customers service, they are not aware of this issues with audio interfaces. It's a little concerning : how can they fix issues they don't know ?
It's surprising when we see the numbers of people who have problems...

We have to wait Apple just wake up !?
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3038 View Post
Hi everybody,

When I call Apple customers service, they are not aware of this issues with audio interfaces. It's a little concerning : how can they fix issues they don't know ?
It's surprising when we see the numbers of people who have problems...

We have to wait Apple just wake up !?
I think the issue is specific to the new late 2013 imacs with fusion drive. Did you purchase one of the newly released imacs that have been out for a month or so? From all the trouble I have had, here's what I've learned:

- Apogee interfaces over usb are no good with late 2013 fusion drive imacs. I believe Focusrite and some other manufacturers have released updates and solved the problem.
- Apogee interfaces on late 2013 non-fusion drive versions kind of work. Duet and Quartet work with no audio distortion issues but are unstable over usb. Constantly unpluggin and repluggin in the device to stay connected.
- Apogee Symphony on non-fusion drive late 2013 imac has horrible audio distortion over usb and is unstable over usb as well. You also can not update firmware through usb 3. You need to either run the usb 2.0 cable through a usb 2.0 hub or get yourself an older computer with usb 2.0 and update firmware that way and you may get lucky or it may not work at all

We need to get Apogee involved in this thread since I feel it's ridiculous that we spend all of this money on a "Mac Only" product and they simply are no "plug-and-play"

Apple is also to blame and THEY ARE aware of it depending on who you speak to. I've spoken to Apple Retail store employees who are familiar with the problem as well as apple care reps over the phone.
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

I agree, the Mac only thing is a sore point because it's not like there are a huge range of devices that Apogee have to support.

Does anyone have any luck with the late 2013 iMac and Thunderbridge with Symphony? We were planning on buying a Thunderbridge anyway to get access to more tracks but I don't really want to throw any more money on Apogee stuff unless it's going to work.

It's frustrating but at least this is a new studio build so it's not affecting any ongoing jobs. I am a little bit worried about the decision to go with a Symphony now though.
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by llary(Mobineko) View Post
I agree, the Mac only thing is a sore point because it's not like there are a huge range of devices that Apogee have to support.

Does anyone have any luck with the late 2013 iMac and Thunderbridge with Symphony? We were planning on buying a Thunderbridge anyway to get access to more tracks but I don't really want to throw any more money on Apogee stuff unless it's going to work.

It's frustrating but at least this is a new studio build so it's not affecting any ongoing jobs. I am a little bit worried about the decision to go with a Symphony now though.
That was actually a suggestion from Apogee that I buy a thunderbridge and try that. I have a feeling it will work but it's overkill for my 8x8 symphony and I'm not about to drop $1000 on it as a workaround to something that is advertised as being plug-and-play through usb.

Considering alternative interfaces at this point. Looking at Burl A/D D/A converters and a simple usb/firewire interface.
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

Well it looks like we are ordering a Thunderbridge from Sweetwater but it sucks that we have to pay $500 more than the bundled price if I would have known that USB doesn't work.

If this still doesn't work then I guess the whole lot is going on ebay and it's off to RME.
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Well it looks like we are ordering a Thunderbridge from Sweetwater but it sucks that we have to pay $500 more than the bundled price if I would have known that USB doesn't work.

If this still doesn't work then I guess the whole lot is going on ebay and it's off to RME.
I would contact Apogee directly. It's not right for us to get screwed on this because their hardware is not compatible. I would call them and get them to give you the thunderbridge for 50% off
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

The problem I have is also with an iMac late 2013, i7, 3.5 ghz, 3TB Fusion Drive, 32 GB memory. No issues with playing sounds but I get pops when I record in Logic. I am almost sure that the issues are caused by Fusion Drive. I tried to record by coping the logic project on a hard drive that the files get saved on the external hard drive as well and it seems to work well. I will try to get a thunderbolt hd tomorrow because I could only use a usb 2.0 hd. I will keep you posted
Old 12th November 2013
Here for the gear

Hey R1zzle, which Apogee product are you using? Our Symphony will not even play back audio on the new iMac, it sounds like a 1989 PC trying to decode an mp3.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

If anyone is having the same problem with an Apogee interface please let our Tech Support team know about it as soon as possible:
Apogee Electronics > Product Registration & Technical Support

I don't know anything yet about what's causing it, but we have been testing here with both a Fusion Drive and standard HDD Haswell iMac. So far, either using the ThunderBridge or connecting USB through a Thunderbolt hub (we've used the Matrox and a Thunderbolt Display) seems to make things work normally. Our engineers are in talks with Apple directly to find a better solution, and I assume other audio interface manufacturers are doing the same.
Old 12th November 2013
Here for the gear
Just want to chime in here as well.

I just bought a 27" late 2013 iMac w 1tb fusion drive, and had the "audio slowly distorting into madness", not only that, I was getting odd skips during audio playback, etc.

I just installed mavericks on an external drive, and my audio is perfect again.

I'm using an RME Babyface.

I've read thru the thread, and there seems to be no consensus. Does anyone definitively know if Apple is going to release a patch for this?

I ask because I don't want to return this and exchange it for a 256SSD drive just to have them release a patch 2 days later.

That said, if they're not going to patch it, I should exchange it sooner, rather then later.
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyj View Post
Just want to chime in here as well.

I just bought a 27" late 2013 iMac w 1tb fusion drive, and had the "audio slowly distorting into madness", not only that, I was getting odd skips during audio playback, etc.

I just installed mavericks on an external drive, and my audio is perfect again.

I'm using an RME Babyface.

I've read thru the thread, and there seems to be no consensus. Does anyone definitively know if Apple is going to release a patch for this?

I ask because I don't want to return this and exchange it for a 256SSD drive just to have them release a patch 2 days later.

That said, if they're not going to patch it, I should exchange it sooner, rather then later.
I think it's really a shame that there is no organized place where we can find out from Apple what's going on. At least Apogee is responding to my emails within hours, and even commenting on this forum... A company like that is to be commended. But why is Apple so quiet?

Anyways, I want to update my weird Soundflower fix. I told a guy at Apogee about it and he thought it was weird too. Just today I finally had some distortion in my audio, but it went away with a restart. I had the Duet disconnect on me 3 times. Not sooooo bad. So I guess my 'sound flower fix' didn't entirely fix the problem, but at least it's happening way less frequently.
Old 12th November 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey R1zzle, which Apogee product are you using? Our Symphony will not even play back audio on the new iMac, it sounds like a 1989 PC trying to decode an mp3.
I don't use an Apogee product, I use an Allen & Heath GSR24m. I was referring to the general problem with the latest iMac version. With the GSR24m I had a drop out after some seconds when I played a sound which could be fixed by downgrading back to Mountain Lion again.
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
I just picked up the same iMac as the OP (27" / 3,4 GHz / 3TB Fusion drive), and I'm having the same exact issues. It started with cracks and pops, but after 10 minutes or so of having Logic open, the audio starts to also degrade to digital distortion, and I have to close and re-open Logic to revert to just cracks and pops. What a pain in the arse.
Same problem here
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

DOn

what is the USB thunderbolt thing you are talking about? i just got my symphony back and the new Imac without the fusion drive (1 TB SSD now) will be here next week. i was just going to try it into the USB3 port with this new one, but if thats a no go i have to get something working

can you post a link to the USB TB hub you are using?

thanks
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear
Any way to narrow this down?? Would a list of questions help us look for a pattern??

For people either with the issue or not:
0) Computer Details
1) Interface: USB, FW, built in, TB, other
2) For USB - Hub or no hub?
3) OS being used - 10.8.4, .5, 10.9, other
4) Audio program being used - itunes, Logic, PT, Studio one - etc...
5) Fusion drive (y/n)
6) recording/playback from system drive (y/n)
7) Problem persists when booting to external HD
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Any way to narrow this down?? Would a list f questions help??

For people either with the issue or not:
0) Computer details
1) Interface: USB, FW, built in, TB, other
2) For USB - Hub or no hub?
3) OS being used - 10.8.4, .5, 10.9, other
4) Audio program being used - itunes, Logic, PT, Studio one - etc...
5) Fusion drive (y/n)
6) recording/playback from system drive (y/n)
7) Problem persists when booting to external HD
I have no problems with built ib, USB or TB playback:
0) Late 2013 imac i7 3.5 - 16G ram - 256G SSD
1- USB3 --> USB3 Hub --> Dangerous Music Source
also TB --> AVID HDN TB box
2- Yes - Powered Yubi USB3 Hub http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3- 10.8.4
4- itunes, ProTools 10/11, Rogue Amoeba Fission
5- Internal SSD
6- Audio is on separate drive but I have had no issues from playback from system drive
7- N/A
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Maniac

0) Late 2013 iMac i7 3.5 - 16Gb RAM
1) USB (Apogee Duet 2)
2) No hub
3) 10.8.5
4) iTunes, Logic, Pro Tools, others
5) No fusion drive (I use an internal 7200rpm 3TB drive)
6) I use internal drive for recording
7) N/A

I do have only disconnect problems. It happens especially when quitting Logic, waiting, then going into Pro Tools. Duet USB disappears from my Audio MIDI setup and becomes an 'unknown' USB device.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear
^^^^^^ do you have a powered USB hub you could insert between the imac and Apogee?
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Yes I do. I have a USB 2 hub. Haven't tried using it yet. Maybe I'll give it a shot

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search