The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Potential audio problem with new iMacs
Old 28th October 2013
  #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4bbit View Post
I ordered one of the new quad core iMacs as soon as they became available (27" / 3,4 GHz / 3TB Fusion drive). Upon arrival I soon discovered that I got audio pops and drop-outs through my Roland Octa-Capture. At first I thought it was a setting in the interface or in Logic 9, but it turned out the problem affected audio from all applications. After calling support a couple of times they adviced me to get a replacement computer. I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

Others are also having audio problems with the new iMacs, as this thread on Apple forums attest: Clipping sound on new iMac

The best hunch is that the problem stems from the Fusion drive somehow, but that's just speculation right now.

Just a heads-up... Does anyone here have any similar experiences with the new iMacs? Maybe you're even lucky enough to have gotten everything working perfectly?
Maby the audio buffer size is to low in the DAW?
Or u are running programs such as Ivory 2 which requairs a fest rundom access which is possible only on SSD.
Old 28th October 2013
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4bbit View Post
I got my replacement iMac and it also had problems with my interface — same hiccups and small pops. So with nothing to lose, I upgraded to Mavericks. This replaced my hiccups with harsh digital distortion, which comes in intervals. When I first start up Logic everythkng sounds fine, but after a short while the problems start.

I'm going to try to get hold of another interface to test. Also, updating to Logic X might be a solution?
Do u have RME Fireface?

This isues which u describet ,harsh distortion might mean that converters in ur audio interface geting out of sync. That's what they tell me in the music store and then they give me a brean new one and it had the same problem and then they offered return and full refund after about couple month i used it. Then i got Fireface UCX and the problem disapiared.
How ever i am not shure if it is audiointerfece related or software or both. I had that problem with RME Fireface UC but on PC though...
Old 28th October 2013
  #63
Quote:
Originally Posted by esimonson718 View Post
Just picked up a new 27" iMac with Fusion Drive. Connected to Apogee Quartet. Sounds great at first but audio degrades over 10-15 minutes until it turns to complete garbage. Been working with apogee on a fix but we've come to the conclusion its the iMac. Sounds like these fusion drives are trouble makers.

The problem comes up whether I'm running OSX 10.8 or Mavericks.

Let me know how it goes on your end. Installing mavericks on my old 24" imac to check but I've already run the quartet through it with no problems. Seems like an Imac hardware issue.
cheak my previouse post, it might be an audiointerface .
Old 28th October 2013
  #64
Gear Maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I've had my iMac since earlier this year (March or so) and I haven't had issues with the Fusion Drive at all. No pops or clicks. I sometimes get random or jittery audio if I have more than one audio application open but that was happening to me on my old MBP since I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

I currently use the Duet. My specs are the 3.4 i7 iMac with a 1TB Fusion Drive and 32GB of ram. I primarily use external drives for my projects and have my sample libraries on their own external SSD drive. I currently have only about 150GB of the drive being used.

Like I said I haven't had issues at all with pops, clicks or distortion. I run most things at 64-128 buffer depending on what I'm recording.
Your iMac must be a 2012 model, which is still very powerful. I might actually think of getting one instead of the new 2013 model. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 28th October 2013
  #65
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly7 View Post
Maby the audio buffer size is to low in the DAW?
Or u are running programs such as Ivory 2 which requairs a fest rundom access which is possible only on SSD.
It is not only related to the DAW. All audio coming from the interface behaves this way; Youtube movies, Spotify, everything, regardless of if a DAW is running or not.
Old 29th October 2013
  #66
Gear Nut
 
Stratgirl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3038 View Post
I have the same problem with my Duet firewire (with firewire /thunderbolt adaptor) + noisy / strange sound you can hear here :

https://soundcloud.com/geronimo02197...es-apog-e-duet

and with a Line 6 UX2, no noise but dropped connections.

This is EXACTLY the same noise/distortion I am experiencing. I've been on the phone with Apple at least 5 times in the past week, and no one over there seems to be aware of this issue, much less on their way to fixing it. Looks like I'll be returning my new iMac.
Old 29th October 2013
  #67
Lives for gear
 

This is also the EXACT sound I also experience on my mid 2011 iMac. I honestly don't think this is only related to the new ones only. I think this is an all round imac issue.
Old 29th October 2013
  #68
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
This is down to poor design... My el cheapo Zoom R8 produces similar noises when connected to a computer via USB. My PowerBook G4 did the same when connected to a Roland keyboard.
Old 29th October 2013
  #69
Gear Maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemicrock View Post
This is also the EXACT sound I also experience on my mid 2011 iMac. I honestly don't think this is only related to the new ones only. I think this is an all round imac issue.
Was yours Fusion Drive too?
Old 29th October 2013
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Fernand's Avatar
It doesn't look like we're anywhere NEAR knowing what's causing what yet.

I personally prefer hardware I can put together myself, upgrade and modify, but frankly if I were in the market for a mac, I'd just get the damned thing in a standard & returnable (but sufficiently high-end) config, and test it thoroughly with the intended interface and software, and either you win, or you lose and return it.
Old 29th October 2013
  #71
Gear Maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
It doesn't look like we're anywhere NEAR knowing what's causing what yet.

I personally prefer hardware I can put together myself, upgrade and modify, but frankly if I were in the market for a mac, I'd just get the damned thing in a standard & returnable (but sufficiently high-end) config, and test it thoroughly with the intended interface and software, and either you win, or you lose and return it.
And this is exactly what I've decided on. After Nov.14 I will share the results of my tests to see if there's any problem.
Old 29th October 2013
  #72
Lives for gear
 

Mine is not an ssd or fusion drive. Just a regular old hdd
Old 29th October 2013
  #73
Here for the gear
 

Hi, I have just registered because of the thread.

I also have the new iMac (late 2013) "27 quad i7 with a 3TB fusion drive. I'm using a RME Fireface 800, and I haven't had any issues with distortion or clicks and pops when using iTunes, Spotify, Netflix or youtube… I have just now tried using all four together, and there where still no problem.

The only time I have heard the distortion was an few minutes ago, when I tried changing the sample rate in Kontakt 5 while having Cubase 7, iTunes, Netflix and Spotify running at the same time. This crashed my system and I have to close all the applications.

But I have noticed that in Cubase I get clicks and pops if the sample rate is below 256 samples. This happens even though it's only audio tracks without any inserts…. When I go above 256 samples, there are no problems. I thought I would be able to go below 256 samples with this computer and these specs…! It should have enough power, but apparently not:-(

Maybe it's something else than the fusion drive that is causing the problems?! Are you guys who's using Mountain Lion on 10.8.5? I know that there are some issues with this update and Pro Tools 10 and 11. Here it's not possible to go below 1056 samples without getting the -6101 error message (cpu overload).
Old 29th October 2013
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4bbit View Post
It is not only related to the DAW. All audio coming from the interface behaves this way; Youtube movies, Spotify, everything, regardless of if a DAW is running or not.
Actualy i have forgoten to say.
but i had the same problems on my current Lynx Hilo with Dell computer i used to have. For no reason the sound become the digital mess a fwe times a day, in the DAW, on youtube, internet and etc thrue Hilo.
I wrote to the Lynx support, and they where very nice and helpful but unfortionaly we where not able to trace the problem.

But now i use the same unit with Mac and do not have a singel issue like that.

P.s. I might guess that it might be something wrong with the driver on the audio interface or firmware of audio interface itself which cripples on particular computer hardware.
Old 29th October 2013
  #75
Gear Maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
This is EXACTLY the same noise/distortion I am experiencing. I've been on the phone with Apple at least 5 times in the past week, and no one over there seems to be aware of this issue, much less on their way to fixing it. Looks like I'll be returning my new iMac.
Sounds almost like a bitcrusher plug in!
Old 29th October 2013
  #76
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brento View Post
Your iMac must be a 2012 model, which is still very powerful. I might actually think of getting one instead of the new 2013 model. Thanks for letting us know.
You may be right about that. I don't think the new one 2013 model was released yet when I bought mine.

Could it be a USB issue. I notice a lot of the folks having issues are using USb interfaces. I remember there being an issue with the 2012 iMac and USB audio devices until Apple addressed the issue in firmware. Had something to do with USB3 I think. I use my duet with a firewire to thunderbolt adapter.
Old 29th October 2013
  #77
Gear Maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
You may be right about that. I don't think the new one 2013 model was released yet when I bought mine.

Could it be a USB issue. I notice a lot of the folks having issues are using USb interfaces. I remember there being an issue with the 2012 iMac and USB audio devices until Apple addressed the issue in firmware. Had something to do with USB3 I think. I use my duet with a firewire to thunderbolt adapter.
I'd bet that its related to firmware & maybe USB3.0. Regardless I am sure this problem will be addressed & fixed, question is when... It's just too bad that these computers don't just work out of the box. If the problem is not addressed, it would be like insane as every second or third person would be returning their computer...
Old 29th October 2013
  #78
Lives for gear
 

I don't think it's related to USB or FireWire. This happens on mine without going through anything but the iMacs normal speaker output. Happens in pro tools, iTunes, YouTube etc
Old 29th October 2013
  #79
Gear Maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

Got the following response from Apogee today:

Quote:
Thanks for your email. From what I understand, there seems to be some sort of hardware issue with the very newest iMac (released 35 days ago) that is affecting many brands and models of USB interfaces, not just the Duet. We are in testing and talks with Apple to address this issue as soon as possible.
Old 29th October 2013
  #80
Gear Nut
 
Stratgirl's Avatar
 

I get the same issue with no interfaces, nothing plugged into usb ports, and no apogee drivers installed (internal iMac speakers only). I'm returning my iMac today, and I'm ordering one with an ATA drive, not a fusion drive. I'll post back once I receive it and test it out.
Old 29th October 2013
  #81
Here for the gear
 

We should return to analog recording...

I return my iMac today too, I'm don't know what to do now : waiting until that issue is fixed, ordering one iMac with SSD or classical HD...

I am going to play guitar to keep cool...just wood and strings, no bug !
Old 29th October 2013
  #82
Gear Maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
I get the same issue with no interfaces, nothing plugged into usb ports, and no apogee drivers installed (internal iMac speakers only). I'm returning my iMac today, and I'm ordering one with an ATA drive, not a fusion drive. I'll post back once I receive it and test it out.
Interesting. We now know three facts:

1) the problem is not dependent on an external audio interface
2) the problem is hardware related (according to Apogee) and they are discussing it with Apple
3) the problem occurs both on drives with fusion drives & normal drives, but not always with normal drives

Such an odd problem. Hope a bit of firmware can fix it rather than needing to have the computers torn apart & rebuilt.
Old 1st November 2013
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Fernand's Avatar
FWIW I've heard from the engineers at Behringer that a lot of equipment makers are having trouble with a bug in newer versions of OsX that causes disconnects from audio. Apple is supposedly hush-hush working on it.
Old 1st November 2013
  #84
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
i have a new i7 iMac with fusion drive and am getting random pops and clicks only when i record. a long thread here over on the mastering forum:

please help.. at a loss - digital pops...

i've tried two different universal audio apollo 16 interfaces and an antelope orion.. and both exhibit the same problem.

my fireface 800 is rock solid. (but i was told that was due to the great drivers that RME has)

so at this point, what do i do? keep using my FF800 and wait for a fix? try to convince apple to take this machine back and send me a new one w/o a fusion drive?
Old 1st November 2013
  #85
I want to follow this thread as I'm also on a new Late 2013 iMac w/3 TB Fusion drive.

I noticed major 'clicks' and 'pops' on my UAD Apollo interface at first. However, once I switched the FW bandwidth setting and DSP loads, it alleviated most of the problem, but I still have the occasional 'pop'. I'm just waiting for UAD to have a Thunderbolt Card sale before I try that protocol.

BTW - I think it's some kind of firmware issue as I've worked with Fusion drives before without problems.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 1st November 2013
  #86
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
fyi.. my apollo 16 was with the thunderbolt option and it still gave me problems.. i also tried it with firewire.

i just spoke with apple and i can return this iMac and order another one.

i just may do that, despite the headaches involved with installing everything again.

so.. just to be sure.. have people here, who had problems with the fusion drive… fix the problem going to a non-fusion drive?

do we think that a new 2013 haswell iMac without fusion will be OK?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
I want to follow this thread as I'm also on a new Late 2013 iMac w/3 TB Fusion drive.

I noticed major 'clicks' and 'pops' on my UAD Apollo interface at first. However, once I switched the FW bandwidth setting and DSP loads, it alleviated most of the problem, but I still have the occasional 'pop'. I'm just waiting for UAD to have a Thunderbolt Card sale before I try that protocol.

BTW - I think it's some kind of firmware issue as I've worked with Fusion drives before without problems.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 1st November 2013
  #87
Gear Nut
 
Stratgirl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
so.. just to be sure.. have people here, who had problems with the fusion drive… fix the problem going to a non-fusion drive?

do we think that a new 2013 haswell iMac without fusion will be OK?
Don't think we know yet. I returned mine, and have an estimated receipt date of Nov. 9-13th for one with a non-fusion drive.
Old 1st November 2013
  #88
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
i'm going to pick up a non-fusion drive i7 iMac from techserv in NYC tomorrow…. and, report back here!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
Don't think we know yet. I returned mine, and have an estimated receipt date of Nov. 9-13th for one with a non-fusion drive.
Old 1st November 2013
  #89
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
i'm going to pick up a non-fusion drive i7 iMac from techserv in NYC tomorrow…. and, report back here!
It will be very interesting for us to have your report.
I'm still waiting and don't know yet if I order one iMac without Fusion Drive.

What is the best solution to adress this ?
Old 2nd November 2013
  #90
Here for the gear
 

Hello everyone - I just registered as I found that thread on google, thank god.

I have a RME UCX audio interface (USB) connected to the new iMac late 2013 with 3TB Fusion Drive.


I have the same problems with clicking/dropping audio which turns into full distortion after some time. Usually the problems start within the first minute auf audio playback but it is totally random if it happens after 10 or 30 seconds.

I can confirm that the problem occurs with any software that generates audio, no matter if DAW (Logic X in my case), iTunes, Spotify or Youtube Videos.

I tried connecting the audio interface directly to the USB Ports of the iMac as well as via an active USB-Interface. Both approaches did not fix anything. I tried to follow some advices in the thread like turning the sample rate in Audio-Midi-Setup from 44,1 to 48KHZ or playing with the Energy-Saver-Options but it did not help.

Noteworthy is that the built-in-speakers of the iMac are not affected by the problem so I would argue that there must be a problem somewhere in the USB communication between audio interfaces and the new generation iMac. Since audio works fine with builtin-speakers the Fusion Drive can probably be ruled out as source of the problems.

Anyways, this is really unsatisfactory and I really hope the problem is being addresses by Apple or the affected Audio Interface distributors ASAP.

Greets
-act
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump