The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Potential audio problem with new iMacs
Old 2nd September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by davequaid View Post
hi there

have read through the whole thread trying to find some similarity with the problems I am facing.

I am running OSX 10.9.4 on a mid-2010 iMac with 2.93 Ghz quad core i7 processor with 8gb of RAM - 1TB standard hard drive.

I am experiencing the same drops, crackles, pops and firewire distortion that a lot of you have reported.

Given that I do not have Fusion drive I am more of the mind that this is a s/w driver issue occurring between Core Audio and the firewire drivers that I am using from Allen and Heath of their Firewire Interface (I am using a GS-R24M).

I have raised a ticket with A&H to see if they have heard any similar problems from other users. I will also post in the GS R24 thread. Will report back here if I learn anything useful. Keen to hear if any of you have had any discussions with Apple at all in this regard.

Cheers
Dave
Actually my wife has the same iMac as you, but she only uses CS with it - no realtime audio.
I never touch her Mac, let her suffer instead , but to me it seems the 1TB drive is the slowest POS ever. It is a 5400RPM drive which feels like it runs with 25RPM, it takes minutes to open Photoshop or Indesign files, and it has been verified by Mac experts twice. I will upgrade it with an SSD at some point, and I think it might be the thing to do for you, too. However, you will need a fan controller, as simply putting an an SSD will make the iMac think the sensor is broken and puts the fan on full speed.
Old 3rd September 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny.gtr View Post
It's bad to hear that. I plan to change my Windows-based laptop to a new iMAC and major idea of this upgrade was "Mac is very stable and I will forget all issues with digital hiss/crackes in my records"
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! If it's any comfort: I moved from Windows based machines to Mac in 2006 because I was completely fed up with instability issues! the problems I'm now experiencing are the first real issues I've had in those eight years of happy Mac-based music making on various machines and versions of the OS.
Old 3rd September 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Actually my wife has the same iMac as you, but she only uses CS with it - no realtime audio.
I never touch her Mac, let her suffer instead , but to me it seems the 1TB drive is the slowest POS ever. It is a 5400RPM drive which feels like it runs with 25RPM, it takes minutes to open Photoshop or Indesign files, and it has been verified by Mac experts twice. I will upgrade it with an SSD at some point, and I think it might be the thing to do for you, too. However, you will need a fan controller, as simply putting an an SSD will make the iMac think the sensor is broken and puts the fan on full speed.
Thanks for the reply - my iMac has the 7200 RPM hard drive installed with the Logic Pro software and am using an external drive for the samples/project work.

Certainly would like to go with SSD but have been putting that off for cost reasons. Could be that I need to enact that option sooner if the problems I'm suffering are performance related in your view?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search