The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Potential audio problem with new iMacs
Old 13th January 2014
Here for the gear

Just to chime in here I had the exact same issue with a new iMac and a 1TB fusion drive, Mavericks and a Scarlett 2i2 USB interface. Since moving to the 10.9.2 beta the issue has gone!

So just to reassure folks 10.9.2 should fix it. One little note, initially after moving to 10.9.2 the issue remained, but if you're using a Scarlett interface you need to use the class compliant drivers. Once I switch to those all was good.

Hope this reassures/helps!

Last edited by nezza; 13th January 2014 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 14th January 2014
Here for the gear

There are many reports from here https://discussions.apple.com/messag...23456#24505254 describing that issue has resolved after installing 10.9.2 beta

You actually can find update installer link there (if you're a really mad on apple) but it's a good thing that official release of this update will fix fusion drive and some usb issue.
Old 15th January 2014
Here for the gear

So I read through the numerous pages, but did anyone fix the problem with the UAD Apollo creating pops and clicks on the new iMacs with fusion? I have the problem, and its driving me nuts:-S
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

OK, here's the update!

As some people have already deduced, the problems detailed in this thread have two separate causes:
1) The "Fusion Drive" issue, affecting new iMacs with a Fusion Drive installed.
2) The "USB Audio" issue, also affecting the iMacs as well as other new "Haswell" computers like MacBook Pros / Airs.

The Fusion Drive problem has been addressed by Apple directly, and the upcoming version of OS X - 10.9.2 - includes a fix. As mentioned above, there is a beta version available now, but you must be a member of their developer program to obtain it legally.

For some people the OS X update will fix their audio interface problems completely. Others with "Haswell" Macs may still be experiencing disconnects/distortion due to the separate USB Audio issue. We recently received code that addresses this issue, which we have integrated into the firmware for the Duet and Quartet. Today we're opening up betas of this firmware, available through our support team. You can find instructions on how to get the beta here:
Apogee Electronics > Apogee Support & Product Downloads

Hope this gives some clarity on the whole situation, and many thanks for the patience of everyone who has run into this issue with an Apogee interface!
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSpacht View Post
Hope this gives some clarity on the whole situation, and many thanks for the patience of everyone who has run into this issue with an Apogee interface!
Thanks very much for that update Don.
I don't have the problem as my iMac is from the late 2011/12 vintage.
I do have a Duet2 though.

I suppose that in the fullness of time you may release a firmware update that all Duet2 owners should install, correct ?

cheers
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
I suppose that in the fullness of time you may release a firmware update that all Duet2 owners should install, correct ?
Yes, when the beta is tested it will become a publicly-available firmware update. It will not be necessary for most Duet owners to install - only people using the Duet with these Haswell Macs.
Old 16th January 2014
OSX 10.9.2 Offical Public Release?

Thanks Don for the update.

Can anyone out there speculate/answer the following:

I was just wondering when OSX 10.9.2 will be available for download to the regular public? Historically, when does Apple typically release public versions after beta phases?

Cheers,

Phil
Old 17th January 2014
Here for the gear

Finally fixed!

Quote:
OK, here's the update!

I have a late-2013 Mac with Fusion drive I just bought last weekend. Went back and got the SSD version instead and with the new beta release it indeed fixed my crappy audio issue. Thank you Don and the Apogee team. Your support is as good as your sound quality
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Addict

I have been waiting for a fix before making a purchase for a new iMac. Now that the dust has settled with the latest beta firmware update, would anyone still recommend the fusion drive as opposed to a standard 7200 rpm drive for the main os drive? Not sure about the fusion drive but have always been tempted. The ssd are too expensive atm.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
I have been waiting for a fix before making a purchase for a new iMac. Now that the dust has settled with the latest beta firmware update, would anyone still recommend the fusion drive as opposed to a standard 7200 rpm drive for the main os drive? Not sure about the fusion drive but have always been tempted. The ssd are too expensive atm.
I have the Fusion drive on a iMac 27 3.4 from 2012 and it's been fine.

TH
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Don,

I have a duet 2 USB and an iMac Late 2012, will Apogee ever be able to fix the problem of the Duet not being recognised at start-up?

I have opened support tickets and was told it was an issue related to USB3 ports and that I should start-up the mac then connect the duet.

I kind of miss just having it work, any info would be appreciated.

Regards,
Scott
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
I'm in precisely the same boat. And it sure doesn't seem to me that any dust has yet settled. Far from it.

Moreover there have been posters on the various threads about the fusion drive problems -- who sound like they know what they're talking about -- and who have stated that they feel the basic concept of the fusion drive is a bad idea for audio applications. (I don't know enough to comment myself.)

Personally, I'm planning on playing it safe by sticking to a regular 7200 hard drive. And even at that -- I'm stil inclined to WAIT for Apple for make SOME announcement about all these various and sundry 2013 iMac problems which various posters on various threads are reporting (and which have NOT been limited solely to fusion drive) -- before I drop $3000 on a new machine.

As an aside/rant: I'm beyond disgusted with Apple's silence over the months this has been going on, and their continuing to market and sell these machines as great for audio -- and the resulting misery they now seem to be knowingly allowing new iMac audio customers to endure. It's ONLY because of Logic that I'm even buying a new Mac. After witnessing this mess -- and their refusal to put out any public information on it -- I would never buy an Apple product when there was an alternative brand available.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongShark View Post
I'm in precisely the same boat. And it sure doesn't seem to me that any dust has yet settled. Far from it.

Moreover there have been posters on the various threads about the fusion drive problems -- who sound like they know what they're talking about -- and who have stated that they feel the basic concept of the fusion drive is a bad idea for audio applications. (I don't know enough to comment myself.)

Personally, I'm planning on playing it safe by sticking to a regular 7200 hard drive. And even at that -- I'm stil inclined to WAIT for Apple for make SOME announcement about all these various and sundry 2013 iMac problems which various posters on various threads are reporting (and which have NOT been limited solely to fusion drive) -- before I drop $3000 on a new machine.

As an aside/rant: I'm beyond disgusted with Apple's silence over the months this has been going on, and their continuing to market and sell these machines as great for audio -- and the resulting misery they now seem to be knowingly allowing new iMac audio customers to endure. It's ONLY because of Logic that I'm even buying a new Mac. After witnessing this mess -- and their refusal to put out any public information on it -- I would never buy an Apple product when there was an alternative brand available.
I use the internal Fusion Drive on the iMac as a System Drive and a Sample Drive. Audio is on an external drive. Has worked out well. Apps open really fast, samples load fast, and the audio works as it always has on the external.

Only thing I notice is that the Mac puts the internal drive to sleep all the time after I leave it for awhile, even though it is set to NEVER SLEEP, etc.... Strange.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkrk View Post
I have a duet 2 USB and an iMac Late 2012, will Apogee ever be able to fix the problem of the Duet not being recognised at start-up?
Sorry, Scott, I don't have any info - I actually hadn't heard of that before. But if our Support Team knows about it, it's probably being worked on. I'd recommend installing the latest (January 2014) firmware and software if you haven't already.
Old 21st January 2014
Here for the gear

I came here to shed light!!! I own a brand new 2014 27 iMac with 1 tb fusion drive and apogee one for iPad!!! just got this stuff last week, so I'm glad i didn't have to sit in this hell of digital phase in my recordings for more than a day.... I can't imagine the rest of you who have suffered for months with this BS..... Ok guys its true os x 10 9 2 beta will fix it... Do a google search for os x mavericks 10 9 2 beta torrent , proxy bay.eu will have your answer!!! it works!!!! i have been recording for 2 hours now in logic 10 with no issues OH and a big EFF you to apple for no support They should strive to be more like Apogee customer care.....

That is all !!!! lets make records
Old 23rd January 2014
Here for the gear

We got our Thunderbridge and now all is working well with the Symphony.
Old 25th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes, when the beta is tested it will become a publicly-available firmware update. It will not be necessary for most Duet owners to install - only people using the Duet with these Haswell Macs.
I've updated my Quartet with the firmware included in the Maestro update for iPad. I take it that the next step before I buy an iMac is to wait for the release of the Mavericks update?
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

The first beta of 10.9.2 came out mid-December, the 2nd beta was a week ago, the 3rd beta was two days ago. The final version could be out before the end of this month.
Old 25th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
The first beta of 10.9.2 came out mid-December, the 2nd beta was a week ago, the 3rd beta was two days ago. The final version could be out before the end of this month.
Just a matter of time before OSX Syrah 10.10 goes to golden master.
Old 26th January 2014
Gear Nut

I'd encourage anyone who is planning to buy an iMac because they believe "the dust has settled" with the 9.2 betas to look at some of the recent entries on this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Nut
i am having the same issues (degradation of audio, short dropouts, glitches and stutters) on a mac pro 3,1 with duet (firewire) running mavericks. i was having similar issues on lion and mountain lion (and clicks in recordings rendering them unusable), and it appears it may never be fixed. i don't know if it is related. in both cases i have been running the os (10.7->10.8, and 10.9) from an ssd (for 10.9, a clean install on a new sonnet tempo mounted ssd.)

the duet still works beautifully in leopard on a spinning drive in the same machine, although i am finally moving over due to dropbox issues.

i've just upgraded my 3,1 to keep it alive until the nMP matures a bit, and better thunderbolt audio options appear. i love my duet dearly and really it's ideal for my needs, so i'd like to get it working if possible.

as an aside, i can't help feeling apple's modern os's are not as solid for audio as they were...
Old 30th January 2014
Here for the gear

Same

Last week I got a new 27" iMac with 3Tb fusion drive and freshly installed all my software. I use an Alesis IO2 USB audio interface or a Line6 Guitar Port to record guitar. Either of these devices into Logic Pro 10.0.6 or GuitarRig produces a horrible distortion which gets worse as the note dies away. Last night, I cloned my internal drive onto an external drive and booting from that, the guitar works fine - so it must be the Fusion Drive that is causing the problem.

PS. Following a tip on another forum, I partitioned my 3Tb Fusion drive and cloned the data to the new partition using Carbon Copy Cloner. Everything works fine on the second partition - which bypasses the SDD section of the Fusion Drive. I await 10.9.2 with interest.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Nut

Not sure all Haswell Mac's are affected by the USB audio thing. I have a Haswell 15" rMBP (latest version) and my RME UCX seems to be working fine, either directly into a USB port on the laptop or via a Belkin TB dock.
Old 31st January 2014
Here for the gear

Another one in the bandwagon

I just got my 27" iMac with 1 To Fusion drive and have audio problems like many here.
My audio interface is the Prism Orpheus. I am using the Apple Thunderbolt/Firewire adapter to connect to the iMac.
Old 1st February 2014
Here for the gear

The new 10.9.2 beta

Anyone tried the new 10.9.2 beta 4 that came out yesterday?
Did it solved the iMac i7 problem?
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Nut

Is this an issue for people recording to their fusion drive? ...any reports of new iMacs having recording clicks if they record to an external?

On a side note, looking at buying new machines and wondering why there's such a discrepancy between 1tb drives for iMacs and MacBook Pros.
Aren't the iMacs essentially made w/ the same equipment as the notebook line? Well to upgrade to a 1tb drive on the iMac is roughly double the cost of the MBPro.
Old 2nd February 2014
Here for the gear

For your information, I am not recording to my FD.
According to my observation, when I am working in Logic x, it simply looses synchronisation then silence for 30 seconds or so.
The sound come back but not sync with the playhead. This sequence goes on and on.
Unworkable I must say.
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
Not sure all Haswell Mac's are affected by the USB audio thing. I have a Haswell 15" rMBP (latest version) and my RME UCX seems to be working fine, either directly into a USB port on the laptop or via a Belkin TB dock.
Thanks for this info! I have an RME UFX and asked about this issue on hand RME support forum since I'm thinking of buying a new 15" mbp. No response so far. Good to hear it's working for you!

What os version are you running?
Old 3rd February 2014
Here for the gear

So has anybody fixed their audio interface problems issues on their late model imac, mavericks, i7, fusion drive, by exchanging it for a non fusion drive model???? Or has anybody found a USB 2 audio interface that solves the problem???? It seems that these answers could be used by a lot of people.
Old 3rd February 2014
Here for the gear

Audio interface problems

I just received and have setup a imac 27 with 3.5 i7 16 gb ram a 3tb fusion drive on mavericks. Having serious audio issues with interfaces. Also running logic x. It seems the internal audio works fine without pops, clicks, distortion etc. problem began when trying to run a firewire solo interface through firewire adapters to thunderboldt. Audio worked at first and after a minute or 2 completely cuts out. Assuming that it was an outdated interface and/or the firewire adaption was not good, I purchased a NI Komplete audio 6 USB interface. This when things got painfully interesting. Anytime system audio was routed through interface, signal worked for a few minutes then slowly degraded from a few pops and clicks to full on distortion, clicks, stutters, to a completely unusable distorted stuttering sound. After unplugging and rep lugging in interface, the problem seemed to go away, burr emerged after a couple minutes, everytime. This happened in every application. My only fix for working was to keep system audio on internal speakers, and route logic to interface, with this setup, logic seemed to work with no problems through interface. Although this is unacceptable considering I still need system audio to route through interface to have what I consider a usable computer. After lots if research and testing I'm putting a little faith/hope that the problem is the fusion drive. Although it seems I could be wrong considering that it seems there might be problems with running USB 2 interfaces into the USB 3 port. I have decided to return the comp to apple and reorder the same configuration but with the 3 tb 7200 raid drive instead of fusion. If this does not solve problems, then I will seek out an interface that is either USB 3, or thunderboldt, although not really sure what the options are there. Just trying to get a basic setup that runs system audio and logic to an audio interface to my two krk monitors. Come on Apple!!! This is basic stuff and shouldn't be such a headache. It seems apple is not looking out for us audio people anymore. I'm losing faith in apples ability to products out that just work. I'll report back on my findings with imac without the fusion drive. I hope apple and the interface developers are handling this problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search