The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Potential audio problem with new iMacs
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Waiting for the first reports from the new mac pro on this issue.
Old 24th December 2013
Here for the gear

I have a late 2013 21.5 iMac, purchased Nov. 2013...so glad I have until Jan. 7th to return this thing...I've tried using two different audio interfaces - Scarlett 2i2 and a MAudio fast track...neither worked initially directly into the iMac via USB...I'm a recording musician, and needed to get back to work, so ordered a Belkin Thunderbolt dock which finally came today... - it appears to have HELPED a little...before, I was getting distorted audio after only a few mins of use while using Logic through one of the USB interfaces...now via the Belkin, it definitely isn't happening as fast in fact, I haven't found there to be any problems - AS LONG as I don't let the computer sit idle - I left logic with a project up..(not playing) - came back a while later, played a note and the audio sounded like it was running through a flanger or something...reset the sample rate and it was back to normal...going to keep experimenting...perhaps I'll invoice Apple for all this extra time I've had to waste testing their equipment. Plus I'm another $300 in the hole for another piece of gear I didn't really need. - additionally, I have a Muse Receptor Trio plug in-player on the way, which is bundled with a Presonus 1818vsl - which I just found out according to Presonus won't function at all with any new apple computers..so looks like this thing will end up getting returned anyway and I'll be back on my old Mini...looked good on paper! Nothing like having a room full of new gear you should be able to use together, but can't.
Old 24th December 2013
Here for the gear

OK UPDATE - Definitely returning my new fusion drive iMac...bought the Thunderbolt Dock from Belkin hoping to see at least an improvement and it isn't happening. Just played songs on iTunes for about 30mins - audio started to get distorted gradually. Computer works great as long as you want to use anything other than the built in speakers...have a USB audio interface? DON'T BUY A FUSION DRIVE MACHINE.
Old 25th December 2013
Here for the gear

Apple made fundamental design change in iMac, Air, Pro

This from Presonus confirms there is a fundamental design change in the iMac, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro hardware, rendering some of their audio products incompatible. This may explain the audio issues as well. Apple is aware so let's hope there is a firmware or software fix around this. I'm in the same boat as others, having just purchased an iMac 2013 with Fusion Drive, primarily as my music production computer.

MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iMac late model 2013 - AudioBox VSL Series compatiblity : PreSonus Audio Electronics

UPDATE: I was able to upgrade my order to 1TB Flash instead of Fusion Drive, so one drop-out problem solved. I have a USB2 hub and Thunderbolt USB port, so hoping that resolves second degradation issue.
Old 26th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmusmarshagen View Post
J. albert.

That might solve the problem with the fusion drives, but does not address the issue with the USB ports.

Would like to hear from people who's had success with using usb 2.0 audio interfaces through the usb on a thunderbolt hub, such as the belkin express!
Hi there. The Belkin Thunderbolt hub completely solved my problems with the Apogee Duet. I have a 7200 rpm drive, 3.5ghz iMac from 2013. I had audio dropout issues but ever since going through Thunderbolt all problems have been solved and the audio just works! It's $300 out of pocket but worth it to get audio working.

I've had this setup working for approx 1 month with no hiccups.
Old 26th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagranderson View Post
OK UPDATE - Definitely returning my new fusion drive iMac...bought the Thunderbolt Dock from Belkin hoping to see at least an improvement and it isn't happening. Just played songs on iTunes for about 30mins - audio started to get distorted gradually. Computer works great as long as you want to use anything other than the built in speakers...have a USB audio interface? DON'T BUY A FUSION DRIVE MACHINE.
The Belkin Thunderbolt 'fix' does not address the distorted audio issue. It just fixed the Usb2 usb3 problem.
Old 27th December 2013
Here for the gear

I've been planning on getting an iMac (my first) and Logic this week, and a Google search about Fusion Drives and music production led me here.

I bought an Apogee Quartet last month and have been using it with my iPad successfully.

So, if I get a new 27" iMac with the 1TB 7200 rpm drive (not Fusion Drive), I will most definitely have issues using the Quartet?
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

According to Apogee the issue has to do with usb, not the fusion drive per se. So yes, you're about to head for trouble.
Old 28th December 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
According to Apogee the issue has to do with usb, not the fusion drive per se. So yes, you're about to head for trouble.
Thanks. In the meantime, I've done a support ticket for the Quartet, and have been told that I will be notified when a fix is done.
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Head

I also have the UFX, a late iMac and FD. I had to split the Fusion Drive into two separate drives. Now everything works like a charm. Not a glitch or drop since I did this.

Regards
Pär
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

hard to see a consensus in this thread for both what the problem is and what might fix or help. lots of different stories.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
hard to see a consensus in this thread for both what the problem is and what might fix or help. lots of different stories.
Agreed, this thread has gotten quite confusing because people are posting about multiple different issues that may or may not be related. Best practice if you're having a problem is to contact your interface manufacturer's tech support directly so that other variables can be eliminated.
Old 31st December 2013
Lives for gear

I have related my setups and story thru 2 imacs etc earlier in this thread but all of my audio problems have been solved with the thunderbridge. running my symphony now straight thunderbolt i have perfect audio and no issues

in my DAW
youtube
itunes
etc

rock solid so far

so i went thru the fusion drive imac

then the one i had now with the 1 TB SSD all with massive issues, from degragin audio to pops and clicks etc

now its perfect with straight thunderbolt

i would again like to thank apogee for great support throughout this experience
Old 1st January 2014
Here for the gear

Angry Fusion Drive Issue

I experiencing same problems.
iMac 2013 1TB Fusion Drive.

Audible glitches and pops during recording / rendering and big distortion when I recording something like signal from external compressor to my audio interface.
Tested on: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Virus Ti Snow on Ableton Live, Studio One

I also created windows partitions via bootcamp and tested all stuff on Win 8 with Studio One. All works fine. It's obviously Fusion Drive issue (bootcamp partitions can't be installed in FD)

Waiting for apple fixes (not soon) so now I'm going to split up fusion drive.

P.S. I don't have any problems with USB. Focusrite just released some Class Compliant Mode patch. But I have a problem with Virus TI Snow connection because new iMacs have only 1 usb hub (( It always warn me that my audio interface is into same hub as my virus. Maybe someone know the fix?

I have to say that this is already replaced item. Previous one was with a display yellowing issue... Apple((

Last edited by VyacheslavCohen; 1st January 2014 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Fusion drive issue
Old 3rd January 2014
Here for the gear

I've been following this thread a while now but still can't seem to tell if this is a USB issue, Fusion Drive, or a combination of both. Is there anyone that has went SSD and still had the audio problems that are being reported? Really wanting to pull the trigger on a 2013 iMac w/SSD but not wanting to step into problems.
Old 4th January 2014
Lives for gear

Has this been solved yet? What is the consensus problem? Firewire? USB? Fusion drive?
Old 4th January 2014
Here for the gear

Hey there,

I have an iMac (late 2013), 27" i7, 8GB, 3TB FusionDrive and an Apogee Ensemble.

I had the same problems like (nearly) all of you with dropouts and cracks. Today, after days with a lot of headaches, I have split the FusionDrive and now the iMac is running without any problems - and has been since this midday.

Interestingly, I did not have these problems with my MacBook Pro (mid 2010, 17", i7, 8GB, 1,25TB FusionDrive), though it runs Mavericks with a "self-constructed" FusionDrive...

Well, I hope that someday I can use my internal FusionDrive on the iMac again...

Hope you all find an acceptable solution to your problems!

Regards,
Tobias
Old 8th January 2014
Here for the gear

Do you mean you split it when you format the disk? Could you explain in more detail, please?

I'm in the same boat with my new iMac FD and Fireface UC. Not working, distorted audio and beep-sounds when I try to record guitar... Deadline closing in....

I'd really like to know how to correctly split the FD. Is a clean install needed after this or can I import a cloned system disk? I've just been installing stuff for few days just to realize that nothing works...

Any news from Apple?

Help!
Old 8th January 2014
Lives for gear

I am honestly wondering if we have 2 issues

some issue with the fusion drive itself and how it works with audio

and a USB issue?

I have no idea but i do know that i personally had issues with the fusion drive Imac and again witth the 1TB SSD drive

although both connections were USB at the time

i think apogee has tested the fusion drive mac with their thunderbridge and its be fine so maybe it is only a USB issue?

does anyone here have a Fusion drive that also has a Thunderbolt audio card they can test?

i know my issues are gone totally for 2 weeks now with a thunderbridge from apogee
Old 9th January 2014
Here for the gear

If you read through the thread there are two separate issues - one is clicking/dropouts caused by quirks of certain drives. The other issue (that I have) is an issue with the late 2013 iMacs sending audio over USB, it is totally broken.

I decided we would just go for the Thunderbridge so we can actually start using the studio, Apogee did kindly offer a discount on the purchase.

Those not willing or able to use this option must be pretty pissed at this point because there is not really any support or info about the issue.
Old 9th January 2014

Looks like this might get solved with next Mavericks update, going by reports from people using the beta. I'll believe it when I see it...
Old 9th January 2014
Here for the gear

Anyone know when the next update will be released, or how I can get the beta? I just purchased a 2013 iMac and I am having this issue. I can't use my apogee duet 2 :(
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I received my new iMac yesterday. 27 inch, i5 , 256 ssd. Internal audio works perfect. Prism Sound Lyra 1 USB interface works perfect as well.
Old 10th January 2014
Here for the gear

I installed the 10.9.2 beta on my late 2013 3tb Fusion Drive iMac, and the audio in my Duet 2 appears to be working just fine so far (30 minutes). Previously USB audio would turn into pure static and drop out in a minute or two.

I'm going to leave my itunes running all night and check it's status in the morning. We may have a winner here, folks.
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac
I wish I had found this forum earlier. I too experienced crazy headaches of audio signal dropping out after a few minutes EVERY TIME. Returned my refurbished and purchased a new iMac thinking that would be the solution. But clearly it wasn't. Same issues with 3tb fusion drive iMac.

Spaceship, can you confirm that once you downloaded the 10.9.2 beta all is fine? i have found the os for the download, but am afraid to as i am not a developer, and i heard there are some things you can't remove from the developer os version. If it's completely safe i guess i will try it.
Old 10th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyo View Post
I wish I had found this forum earlier. I too experienced crazy headaches of audio signal dropping out after a few minutes EVERY TIME. Returned my refurbished and purchased a new iMac thinking that would be the solution. But clearly it wasn't. Same issues with 3tb fusion drive iMac.

Spaceship, can you confirm that once you downloaded the 10.9.2 beta all is fine? i have found the os for the download, but am afraid to as i am not a developer, and i heard there are some things you can't remove from the developer os version. If it's completely safe i guess i will try it.
So far so good on my end. I'll do more extensive testing this weekend. Even if you don't install, it should give you confidence that the issue will definitely be fixed upon release.
Old 11th January 2014
Gear Nut

Why are people recording to their fusion drives anyways? I'd like to know if anyone is having these issues w/ these new iMacs recording to decent externals.
Old 11th January 2014
Here for the gear

Smile

I had same issue with fusion drive and solution for me was just splitting up ssd and hdd (un-fuse). I installed all apps and os to ssd and keep my samples and other stuff on hdd. All works fine and no distortions, pops, dropouts and etc.

Imac 2013, 1Tb fusion drive + focusrite scarlett 2i4 Usb / Virus ti snow
Tested on Presonus Studio One, Ableton Live.
Old 11th January 2014
Gear Maniac
Great! Thanks buddy
Old 13th January 2014
Here for the gear

Just to chime in here I had the exact same issue with a new iMac and a 1TB fusion driver, Mavericks and a Scarlett 2i2 USB interface. Since moving to the 10.9.2 beta the issue has gone!

So just to reassure folks 10.9.2 should fix it. One little note, initially after moving to 10.9.2 the issue remained, but if you're using a Scarlett interface you need to use the class compliant drivers. Once I switch to those all was good.

Hope this reassures/helps!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search