The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ilok transfers (selling my mpowered protools)
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

ilok transfers (selling my mpowered protools)

i am wondering if i sell my protools m powered on craigslist, if i will have to transfer the ilok to someone else, or can i just give them the dongle and they will be able to plug it into their computer and start up protools.

i dont ever use my protools anymore as i have switched to logic, but if someone else wanted to use it, dont i just need to give them the dongle with it, or will they have to register their computer?

could i just give them my user name and password? or do you think this wouldnt be so smart?

thanks
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

IIRC, the license on the red iLok was already installed when you bought it. But selling PTMP, you need to make sure the buyer also has a compatible M-Audio interface as this DAW needs both the iLok and a M-Audio interface to launch.

KA
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

ok, cool, i realize that they would need an interface, but just to clarify then, they wouldnt need to use my username or password to get it to work on their computer? thanks for your help!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien907 View Post
ok, cool, i realize that they would need an interface, but just to clarify then, they wouldnt need to use my username or password to get it to work on their computer? thanks for your help!
I'm pretty sure they're good to go as long as they have the iLok and compatible M-Audio interface. If the update is available without needing to log in to an account, all is good. If the buyer ever wants to buy an upgrade to 11, that could be another story if they don't have an Avid account with PTMP registered there.

I have a PTMP to PT9 product registered in my account but I can't remember how that upgrade went as for requirements. To be sure, I'd contact Avid or browse their labyrinth of a web site. Don't take my word for it.

KA
Old 19th October 2013
Yes, it would work, but they would never be able to run any kind of maintenance on the iLok (moving/selling licenses, tech support/recovery) - unless they have access to your login/password as well, so if you don't plan to ever have an iLok again with the account name you are currently using, you should transfer your iLok login as well (remove all personal info first).
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

ok, thanks guys!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search