The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tracking down a tiny buzz in my computer
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

(FIXED)Tracking down a tiny buzz in my computer

I've got a very tiny buzz coming from my computer every time I open up either Sonar or Adobe Audition....It's very tiny barely audible but it's there. The buzz goes away when I close the programs. I tried going into my bios and disabled the onboard audio card, but it was still there. I'm using a M-Audio Fast Track audio interface, but I don't think it's that, because the computer is dead quiet when the DAW programs are closed.

The tiny buzz does NOT get recorded into my mixes as my cd's come out with perfect sound quality and sound great on other systems.....it's just thru my computer. It's not my power amp or any input, as the buzz is only there when I open the programs. Like I said, it's barely audible but it's there and it annoys me...any suggestions ??

I'm running Windows 7-64 Bit on a Dell i3 second generation computer. Windows Media Player does NOT buzz while open.

Thanks in advance for any input !!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Okay it was something to do with the USB output to the Fast Track. I tried using my onboard sound card and the buzz went away in both X3 and Audition. Yay !! I can still use the Fast Track for Input into the computer, but I can't use the output to my studio monitors. I don't think it's a problem with the Fast Track, but some sort of glitch with the USB audio output inside the computer.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

After doing a lot of digging I was able to find a driver update on Avid's website for the Fast Track. After I installed it I did another test and the buzzing sound was 75% eliminated but still there, but just barely. So I went back to the onboard sound card which eliminates the buzz completely.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search