The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ableton 9 for orchestral composing?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Ableton 9 for orchestral composing?

Is Ableton 9 good for orchestral composing?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

as a longtime composer in Digital Performer( which i'd compare to logic and cubase ), i'm still wrapping my head around ableton 9 for what i would describe as typical composition and not remix based compositions ( though i do remixes, just not exclusively).

some aspects i really like such as you can create individual instrument templates and drag them into any project fully loaded. so if you had a certain Kontakt or Play set up of libraries mapped out for different types of composition, you can retrieve them at will.

technically, you can do this in other programs by creating an all inclusive template that contains deactivated instruments...and you can hide them in folders. just seems less elegant to me.

midi editing is certainly more than capable for orchestral composition in ableton though i find it a bit more intuitive in DP. maybe i've just worked in DP longer.

if you're having other's play your music, ableton doesn't have a music score window. DP has an excellent score window. you can write something, print it and have a musician come in and record it with full confidence that it is very accurately transcribed.

my thought is that though ableton is excellent and can work for orchestral, i don't really feel like it was created with that type of work in mind. you'll make no use of the session window most likely and the clips and built in instruments won't really benefit you.
soooo, yes you could use it, but i'd probably use DP or logic.
Old 18th October 2013
i love ableton but i cannot recommend it to do this kind of work. slugworth hit on all the main points. i'll add that not having a score editor is should be instant deal breaker. also ableton has issues with automation and is lacking in midi tools.

download the demo and try it, but i would highly recommend using another DAW such as logic, cubase, studio one or DP.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks a lot guys for the advices !
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

What they said.

Another thing, and I find this more of a deal breaker than lack of score, is the single MIDI window thing – you can't see the notes of other MIDI tracks so any counterpointy work is going to be tricky to say the least unless you work on paper or something else to begin with and then re-input into Live.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search