The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Speeding Up FLAC - What Helps Most?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Speeding Up FLAC - What Helps Most?

For converting multiple .wav files to FLAC (48k, 24bits) what is a good starting place on a tight budget: the software (OS and/or DAW), the chipset, the amount of RAM, the graphics card, the storage, or the CPU? And if it's the CPU is it how many cores or speed per core?

Comments and suggestions for speeding up FLAC conversions are welcome.

best,

john
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac
CPU.

Multiple cores only help if you either do multiple files at the same time or if your specific encoder the multithreaded. In doubt I'd go with faster fewer cores. Which encoder are you using?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
CPU.

Multiple cores only help if you either do multiple files at the same time or if your specific encoder the multithreaded. In doubt I'd go with faster fewer cores. Which encoder are you using?
Thanks,

Audacity seems to work pretty well for me except for the fact that I don't really need to hear the files. However, to save space I do like to trim heads and tails, and Audacity displays about as fast as anything else I've tried (proxy editing seems confined only to the video realm--but why it's not done for audio? well that's a different topic).

The converter from FLAC (with front end) was OK but (IIRC) Audacity left me with more peace of mind that everything had been converted properly.

best,

john
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac
I'm pretty sure you should go for pure per-core speed then. Audacity should use the open source flac encoder which IIRC is single threaded. You are unlikely to exceed the need for 4 cores that you'd get with a fast i5 or so.

Oh and no AMD, sorry. In this particular area of performance they are far, far behind. It's a shame, really.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

You should get a converter that can handle multicore (what it usually does is it encodes multiple files at once).
Foobar or Xrecode, for example. Foobar will ask you for flac.exe, which you can get in one of the zipped bundles here.
CUETools is another one, with various FLAC encoders you can use.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use the audio converter that comes with AIMP 3 audio player. It has multicore support so it can convert as many audio files as you have cores at the same time.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Hi, jabney! Why coding speed is so important to You? If i understand correctly, it isn't tracking to FLAC instead WAV on the fly. If Yes, then independently from frontend, the encoder will be flac 1.2.1b or 1.3.0 FLAC - changelog

It doesn't matter which DAW do You use, but BTW Reaper (DAW) and foobar2000 (player) have very handy built in batch covertors. You can set up Your queue and let the computer does the job when You sleep at night

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search