The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Antelope Orion vs. Mytek 8 192k i/o
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Antelope Orion vs. Mytek 8 192k i/o

I consider to buy Antelope Orion and sell one of my Myteks. I wondering if any of you compared sound of these converters? My question is how in terms of quality Orion gets close to Mytek? I use it for electronic, house, techno production.

thnks J
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

anyone?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

here in this thread (is german but just download the link) you can hear the mytek vs the orion... Forum - Pro Audio - orion vs. mytek - RECORDING.de

in my opinion (and most of the guys in the thread on r.de) the mytek clearly wins. but hey, it costs about 4x per channel as the antelope (which still sounds better than a rme ff/ufx...)
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
here in this thread (is german but just download the link) you can hear the mytek vs the orion... Forum - Pro Audio - orion vs. mytek - RECORDING.de

in my opinion (and most of the guys in the thread on r.de) the mytek clearly wins. but hey, it costs about 4x per channel as the antelope (which still sounds better than a rme ff/ufx...)
thanks, i used to work with RME and i was just shocked how Mytek sounds compare to RME. the difference was very clear in much detail, more low end and highs was not so hyped as RME. i'm wondering if Orion is so far as RME.

Thnks i will listen to the samples
Old 23rd October 2013
I own the Orion 32 & can attest to it's conversion quality. As far as direct comparison, I think it's a pointless exercise. They are different, as are all converters, even ones from the same manufacturer. Neither unit will restrict your production in any way. Plenty of people make great recordings with much less impressive gear.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
I own the Orion 32 & can attest to it's conversion quality. As far as direct comparison, I think it's a pointless exercise. They are different, as are all converters, even ones from the same manufacturer. Neither unit will restrict your production in any way. Plenty of people make great recordings with much less impressive gear.
Ok, i know but the colour is always different. The only thing what is crucial for me is there any lack of low end or highs and the clarity.

I bought Myteks because my studio has lots of different colors. I wanted clear and transparent AD/DA. Everything else in my studio like API, Chandler, NEVE, Maag etc creates a colorful tone.
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Mytek definitely wins, and is arguably one of the most "analog" sounding converters on the planet regardless of price.

Orion 32 wins on channel count, sounding absolutely great compared to things in its price range and beyond, and features.

if 8 channels of high end conversion is needed, no need to replace the Mytek 8x192.

Both are excellent but for different reasons, channel counts and budgets.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Mytek definitely wins, and is arguably one of the most "analog" sounding converters on the planet regardless of price.
The JCF AD8 is a new challenger for "analog" sounding....It's got the Mytek by the balls regarding that aspect
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
The JCF AD8 is a new challenger for "analog" sounding....It's got the Mytek by the balls regarding that aspect
Send one down, brotha!

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Orion 32 wins on channel count, sounding absolutely great compared to things in its price range and beyond, and features.

if 8 channels of high end conversion is needed, no need to replace the Mytek 8x192.

Both are excellent but for different reasons, channel counts and budgets.

War
I would think Burl would decimate mytek in this department as well as the JCF stuff. Out of all the conversion shootouts I've heard though my top choices would be Burl/JCF then forsell then Mytek 192/Orpheus. I own a mothership so Im a bit biased but it is VERY analog sounding and organic.
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensands View Post
Burl would decimate mytek in this department.
I disagree with the word "decimate" as we have fairly compared these converters and have the test results to prove it. Different? Yes, somewhat. Better? Eye of the beholder.

Converter differences at this level are not huge, and one could easily prefer one of these over the other.

I personally don't think you're wrong and I'm right, but your statement seems to imply I'm wrong so I do respectfully disagree having compared them directly along with all this other stuff.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
I would think Burl would decimate mytek in this department as well as the JCF stuff.
OK you edited your post and you are guessing it seems.

Please confirm you have heard them all?

Not trying to start a fight here, but you are implying things that do not match up necessarily with actual use.

??

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK you edited your post and you are guessing it seems.

Please confirm you have heard them all?

Not trying to start a fight here, but you are implying things that do not match up necessarily with actual use.

??

War
I've only heard samples in shootouts(other then the mothership I own) but he topology of the units are built to sound analog(JCF/ Burl). Correct me if i'm wrong but The Mytek is not, as well as the majority of the high end converters out there. So you think the Mytek sounds more analog then a burl b2 ADC?

To answer the OP though, between the samples i've heard of the Mytek 192 and the Orion, the Mytek sounded really good. If I had the choice I would chose the Mytek over Orion. From a pricing standpoint though you really get a lot for your money with the Orion it seems.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I disagree with the word "decimate" as we have fairly compared these converters and have the test results to prove it.
Hopefully your test results are x amount of people like x converters analog sound better because I find it hard to believe technical test results would have anything to prove in the way of how it sounds to an individual. If your test results are loop back tests then I have to chuckle.
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
I've only heard samples in shootouts(other then the mothership I own) but he topology of the units are built to sound analog(JCF/ Burl). Correct me if i'm wrong but The Mytek is not, as well as the majority of the high end converters out there. So you think the mytek sounds more analog then a burl b2 ADC?
First of all, congrats on the Mothership!

They are all built to sound good as far as each designer is concerned, overall I would attribute detail and smooth sheen to the Mytek whereas the Burl has a smoothed over sort of effect with some weight to it by comparison.

Keep in mind transformers don't necessarily add, sometimes they take away (less bandwidth) and don't deliver a huge low end sound but by comparison, can sound more filtered. I am not stating this is what is happening with Burl or JCF, but am addressing as what I think you are saying that using transformers sounds more "analog".

As an example we just finished a buss compressor comparison here, using test tones to make sure everything is fair, etc. One unit uses transformers, very expensive and good ones at that. However when compared to the transformerless units the others offer more bandwidth and depth in the bass response which makes them sound more full. In this case, in this design it did not deliver what marketing would normally dictate as some kind of hugeness from transformers.

The actual result is the opposite.

It's hard to describe the difference in say a Mytek and Burl, and both are very very good and deliver superior and smooth audio with a different take on design.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Hopefully your test results are x amount of people like x converters analog sound better because I find it hard to believe technical test results would have anything to prove in the way of how it sounds to an individual. If your test results are loop back tests then I have to chuckle.
They are not loopback, not at all!

It is a 24 track session, derived from 5.6MHZ DSD files, sent from a unit's DA to its AD down the same cable, into the same dedicated DAW session every time.

It's the most real world converter test available in my experience, after a day and a half roughly with each unit (very extensive test and all tracks are recorded in real time in every PCM sampling rate available, then rendered out identically to compare the resulting mix) we can deliver the result so that people buying converters can hear before how they compare side by side when tracking a full session.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

ZenPro Converter Test

That page explains it in detail, how we arrive at audio / mixes to share.

I would love to add JCF.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are not loopback, not at all!

It is a 24 track session, derived from 5.6MHZ DSD files, sent from a unit's DA to its AD down the same cable, into the same dedicated DAW session every time.
How is this not a loop back test? You are sending it out two channels and coming back in on two channels no? Maybe I am missing something.
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Read the link, it gives details.

It is 24 individual channels recorded into a session one at a time, then rendered in stereo so we can share a mix showing how 24 channels "stack up" in real world use.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Read the link, it gives details.

It is 24 individual channels recorded into a session one at a time, then rendered in stereo so we can share a mix showing how 24 channels "stack up" in real world use.

War
Ahh ok that makes a lot more sense. Did you do a mix for various settings of the ADC to impart more tranny saturation or less? for instance if you tracked everything on the burl at -20 vs -16 or -14 there would be a notible difference im sure. Would love to hear the mix from mytek verse Burl and would have been great if they were all summed into the AD again with same summing setup after the tracking. That would give a TRUE representation! heh Looks like we wont get that though because we have to pay 100 bucks for it. lol
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

We printed Burl normal and "hot" since they claim this is possible with the unit, so yes it's included in our test results.

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Cool lets hear them. I wont be buying converters from you so unfortunately I don't need the 100 dollar discount. Let us all hear how analog the Mytek sounds compared to the burl. Make it blind too. Who knows I might pick the Mytek and then this damn mothership is going back! lol
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Weeks of planning and execution, tons of money invested, it's "free" to paying ZenPro Audio customers who want to know what they are buying first.

Sorry, I only posted that link so you could read the details rather than me typing it all out!

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Send one down, brotha!

War
hahaha, we're having a hard time prying them from clients hands after evaluation.

Quote:
Eye of the beholder.
Indeed!

Quote:

I would love to add JCF.

War
War, Just wanted to post,

In my travels, I have found the absolute best way to evaluate how "analog" a converter sounds, is to compare it to the original analog source in a controlled environment. It is sort of impossible to tell how a AD converter will represent your material without passing your material into it. These devices are also part of a cumulative effect. How it preforms with your work and the rest of your equipment. It can make it hard to select the right units for what you are in need of. But to compare the technical aspects on paper will help to understand why we believe an AD is "more analog sounding" than another AD. For me, it is the total and complete lack of amplifier circuit in the AD8, compared to the high-slewing op amp design of the Mytek.

I can hear the Mytek. I can hear the JCF. Each time I am left with a residual side affect of the devices imprint, or lack of imprint. The side effect you get from the JCF is from the transformer. It is very musical in nature. If you like transformers, you will like them here. The Side effect you get from the Mytek is not as musical, to my ears. It is more "electronic sounding", rather than a soft natural "ear-pleasing" vibe of the JCF.

Josh built it using Analog Recording Medium as a Template, so to speak, feeling very lack luster about the way many AD converters sounded upon playback of his material. He really crafted a design that makes everything process much different down stream. This to me, is the main selling point of the unit as the second you sweep around with an equalizer or compress something you know it's not like what you are acclimated to. In fact you are feeling the nuance and essence of recording to an Analog Deck. It's different.

It was designed to capture as close to a mirror image as it possibly can, [Josh's favorite tape recorders] and totally embraces what good sounding transformer's [custom cinemag] can bring to the table. Even though you are running through a transformer, this converter doesn't impart any "amplifier" coloration. In that sense, the sound is pure, calm and steady as she goes. Creamy but extraordinarily FAITHFUL to the original signal's integrity and response. This idea is very different from the BURL converters, which uses DISCRETE high performance amplifiers. While the idea's of using a transformer are similar in these AD converters, when the rubber meets the road, the topologies could not be more different.

War, I know you have gone to great length's with your examples, they do seem helpful in a sense. But really, with this level of scrutiny I believe Audio engineer's will need more context here to really understand what is happening with the AD converter, and it's technology. Samples are all well and good, but I strongly advise the community to do their own testing with this hardware, first hand - working with their own musical application. It is best to use your own musical application, and compare to what you currently use. I promise you there will be a different result, which is ultimately the device and the designers intention. You will better understand it's designer's intention with it.

I dare you to return this AD converter to DSPdoctor!
Old 23rd October 2013
Jai guru deva om

Yes, cumulative effect is what we end up with and it matches what we "hear" live vs analog gear as well. Therefore I feel 100% comfortable on all levels delivering this kind of info!

It is repeatable and the only thing that changes is the device under testing so bringing in JCF or any other new converter shows the difference.

The good news is that people can choose with their ears.

I bet JCF is great!

War
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

back to the actual question...

a few pages back in the thread I posted before there are also files of the new spl madison unit. to my ears its more in the vein of the mytek -> retains front to back space better than orion (my main gripe about the orion files) and doesn't get harsh in the presence like rme. again, its not on par with the mytek overall but it grabs the essence of its sound better than the orion imho.
Old 30th October 2013
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Head

Hello Mytek people! Don't want to hijack the thread but just one question.. when will You make a 2 channel IN AND OUT INTERFACE availible to people that don't need or can't afford 8 channels? Can't You see a market for that? Audient did that, Prism did that, Apogee too.. come on..

I'm talkin one box with ins and outs and simple usb connection.. (please don't do it mac only..)
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipa View Post
Hello Mytek people! Don't want to hijack the thread but just one question.. when will You make a 2 channel IN AND OUT INTERFACE availible to people that don't need or can't afford 8 channels? Can't You see a market for that? Audient did that, Prism did that, Apogee too.. come on..

I'm talkin one box with ins and outs and simple usb connection.. (please don't do it mac only..)
Hello Lipa,

Please give us some more time. Results of collecting Users' ideas might be astonishing

Dziekuje
Adam
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Head

Wow, thanks for ultrafast response! I will happilly wait for that box.. To me the idea is simple: make your excellent dsd dac have inputs and write some drivers, done. Forget about preamps, bells and whistles.. we just need great sound with small price tag..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search