The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Antelope Orion vs. Mytek 8 192k i/o
Old 17th July 2016
Here for the gear

HOLY krap =D U R THE Guru! WoW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
They are not loopback, not at all! It is a 24 track session, derived from 5.6MHZ DSD files, sent from a unit's DA to its AD down the same cable, into the same dedicated DAW session every time. It's the most real world converter test available in my experience, after a day and a half roughly with each unit (very extensive test and all tracks are recorded in real time in every PCM sampling rate available, then rendered out identically to compare the resulting mix) we can deliver the result so that people buying converters can hear before how they compare side by side when tracking a full session.
That's like the most badazz comeback I've ever heard! Along with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I would attribute detail and smooth sheen to the Mytek whereas the Burl has a smoothed over sort of effect with some weight to it by comparison. ... As an example we just finished a buss compressor comparison here, using test tones to make sure everything is fair, etc. One unit uses transformers, very expensive and good ones at that. However when compared to the transformerless units the others offer more bandwidth and depth in the bass response which makes them sound more full. In this case, in this design it did not deliver what marketing would normally dictate as some kind of hugeness from transformers. The actual result is the opposite.
... HAHA!! U sure tore THAT clown a new 1 =D I used 2 work at a YUUUGE Mac dealer & OH gawd so KRAP! Muds up everything... oddly lacking in detail, very 'closed in' sort of sound. Transformers & sludge can B nice, but must B careful. 4 those who don't know, many of their amps have big 'autoformers' on the OUTPUT 2 do all kinds of 'fancy-sounding' things like 'present uniform impedance to the transistors' & bla bla bla... doesn't mean it will actually make it SOUND better though.

Glorious 'War' Guru, master of A/B 'Shootouts', please tell me *(& me alone preferably so the prices don't go up ~ Remove the 'X' characters: " Xbalkanguy Xat Xlive Xdot Xcom" = Spam Filter =) what DAC(s) U consider 'top quality' that have the cheapest USED (4 even more rock bottom) pricing on Fleabay, whether 'obsolete' or not. & by 'cheap' I don't mean 'relatively' vs. ridiculously overpriced 'high end' stuff. I mean stuff people on here would consider JUNK & would not B caught dead with @ their studio 4 fear of being labeled 'untrendy' & 'anti-bling' =)) I ONLY care about PERFORMANCE!!! Currently I am using some [Top Secret Used Junk] stuff, but it is quite bright & without proper cable choices & such has that typical 'AKM Sludge/Sizzle' problem =)) Also there R no official drivers past XP but I don't care 'kuz everything past XP is krap N E way.

The highs B 4 A/B testing a pile of different [Top Secret 'GARBAGE' interface type] cables 2 connect the host cards was rather 'RME'... as in brittle, piercing, & without the right output cables on the non [Mystery Interface] (monitoring) side only exaggerates the sludge. They're not 'neutral' in the slightest, but the sound is not DISTORTED like many DACs. Listen 2 lots of cymbal & 'sibilant' things & also big heavy distorted guitar stuff 2 check if something is 'distorted' or merely 'bright' ~;-) 4 example the ADAT XT Silver face (which is the best-sounding version IMHO though I have not heard the M20 or Studer version) has DISTORTED highs. Everything sounds like an air hose or 'radio station noise' or 'rushing water' up there. There's no texture 2 it... just DISTORTION they peddle as 'high frequency content' LOL With the [current favorite Mystery Brand] the sound is really nice but only AFTER doing the 'audiophile' tweak outs & if U want it NEUTRAL must ALSO EQ it, which I DO =D But hey, a price 2 pay 'kuz I'm a cheap skate 'audiophile' LOL

BTW: The best 'cheap DAC' is (or was, as they R getting hard 2 find complete) the IBM S50 PC. Remove the noisy 'line in' cable & put some headphones or speakers on the FRONT sound output = SHOCK! =:-o Sounds so GOOOOD! =D HOLY krap... Better than N E thing I've ever heard from a PC!! Certainly wipes the floor with Realtek & Creative & so many others. Keep in mind when 'monitoring' your stuff people will NOT B playing your 'masterpieces' on fancy equipment usually, so how it sounds through 'junk' is certainly importnat... & not just those junk 'Yamama-ha' & 'Auratone' boom box simulators, but the 'iPod' style junk DACs & stuff. Your highs will get jacked & your bass will get mudded, so predict the torment & adjust accordingly lest ye B 'Captain AudioFAIL' instead of 'Major AudioPHILE'. WHOOP!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search