The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Antelope Orion vs. Mytek 8 192k i/o
Old 9th November 2013
Gear Head
Adam kinda rules
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

I dream with a 16 in/out Mytek with USB and Madi in a rack space...
Old 23rd March 2014
older thread i know, I have both in my studio. our post production engineer josh has the orion in his room, and in mastering (my room) i use mitek and burl bomber dac/adc. the orion is a magnificent tracking converter set. it smokes everything in its class, is it mastering grade? no not really but its stunning none the less. the mitek 8 channel interface is my go to converter set, its not colored at all, i find it very close to the prism dream converters although i find the prisms really have a slightly more controlled and organized bass response but really i think only your hair dresser would know you used miteks instead of prism IMHO. the burl converters are great and i guess are probably more analogue sounding in respect to the fact that have a definite vibe, which works for some stuff, id say 95% of the time im using the miteks. just my opinion and its totally subjective i know.
Old 17th April 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Broduer View Post
older thread i know, I have both in my studio. our post production engineer josh has the orion in his room, and in mastering (my room) i use mitek and burl bomber dac/adc. the orion is a magnificent tracking converter set. it smokes everything in its class, is it mastering grade? no not really but its stunning none the less. the mitek 8 channel interface is my go to converter set, its not colored at all, i find it very close to the prism dream converters although i find the prisms really have a slightly more controlled and organized bass response but really i think only your hair dresser would know you used miteks instead of prism IMHO. the burl converters are great and i guess are probably more analogue sounding in respect to the fact that have a definite vibe, which works for some stuff, id say 95% of the time im using the miteks. just my opinion and its totally subjective i know.
Have you had a chance to AB the Mytek to the Pure2?

I was considering the Pure2 when it first hit the street but now leaning on the Mytek 8X192.

Mytek said the 8 channel summing in the 8X192 is similar vibe as a Neve console. THAT would be SaaaWEET!

But since I only need 2 channels I was leaning on the Mytek Stereo192 ADC and Stereo192 DSD DAC, but hey! 8X192 and summing? Com'on! heh

Last edited by SEA; 3rd May 2015 at 08:53 PM..
Old 3rd May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
I own the Orion 32 & can attest to it's conversion quality. As far as direct comparison, I think it's a pointless exercise. They are different, as are all converters, even ones from the same manufacturer. Neither unit will restrict your production in any way. Plenty of people make great recordings with much less impressive gear.
Could it be possible that you're experiencing "Buyers Remorse" ???

Why not just do what many end-users have done, and sell the Orion and get the Mytek 8x192??

"Quality over quantity!" That's what I always say! heh
Old 3rd May 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipa View Post
Hello Mytek people! Don't want to hijack the thread but just one question.. when will You make a 2 channel IN AND OUT INTERFACE availible to people that don't need or can't afford 8 channels? Can't You see a market for that? Audient did that, Prism did that, Apogee too.. come on..

I'm talkin one box with ins and outs and simple usb connection.. (please don't do it mac only..)
Oh, like the Pure2 that cost $2,200?? With a used Mytek 8x192 you get 8 channels of higher quality ADDA and 8 channels of analog summing for like $2,200! I mean, there's NOTHING I mean NOTHING on that can beat THAT deal! heh

But if you only want 2 channels get the Mytek Stereo192 ADC and the Mytek Stereo192 DSD DAC for like $2,600 and call it a day!

It sure beats out everything out there at twice the price or more!

Sammy
Old 3rd May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcl View Post
Adam kinda rules
What????
Old 7th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Mytek definitely wins, and is arguably one of the most "analog" sounding converters on the planet regardless of price.

Orion 32 wins on channel count, sounding absolutely great compared to things in its price range and beyond, and features.

if 8 channels of high end conversion is needed, no need to replace the Mytek 8x192.

Both are excellent but for different reasons, channel counts and budgets.

War
I try to find threads AB'ing the Mytek with the Forssell but can't seem to find any.

I've read a few endusers go to the Forssell from the Mytek they say things like "a significant upgrade" etc.

I find that hard to believe myself. There are those who prefer the Mytek sound over the Forssell!

I believe you have that 2% variance where it's not so much quality but preference.

The Mytek Stereo192 DAD DAC is said to be faster and more spacious so to each their own eh?
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

I am now in the Metric Halo camp.

I admittedly do not have wide experiences as others do, but the experience I have is still a useful lesson to learn from.

I started with an older set of MOTU 1224 interfaces (4) because I wanted to be able to take full advantage of analog summing through my Shadow Hills Equinox.

I spent a lot of time trying get maximum analog warmth in my mixes, but never got there. There was always something "cloudy", something "non-transparent" in the results.

I was finding that my mixes created, summed within Pro Tools, had better transparency and clarity, but of course, lacked the analog warmth I was desiring.

After much research, I decided to move a different direction, and decided to sell my Equinox, the MOTU 1224's, an outboard compressor, and a couple other things (not all at the same time -- as I was still working on an album project).

So, I needed AD/DA interfacing (at least 2 channels), 2 good preamps, and a monitor controller, at minimum.

Where I went was to Metric Halo, because I saw good comments about their 80-bit summing within their interface, and that the sound of Metric Halo gear was great, not to mention the awesome plugins + DSP that is built in with the add-on 2D card.

So, I ended up finding a used Sonic Studio Model 302, which is a re-branded Metric Halo ULN-2, that also includes the Sonic Studio Mastering EQ embedded in the device. The Model 302 also has the highly regarded Metric Halo preamps.
I also went with a Mammoth Cave Audio Ground Control Deluxe for a monitor controller, and am still waiting on a Wooly Mammoth Deluxe from that same company, which offers saturation and harmonics via multiple transformers, germanium diode circuits, and other filters.

The bottom line is that the clarity and transparency I achieved with a superior AD/DA device made a huge difference. Gone is the cloudy mask on my mixes. The difference between the Orion32 or the Mytek 8 192k might be very minor, as well as other devices mentioned here, but getting to that level is what is crucial -- to ensure the cloud is lifted from your mixes.

Last edited by brucerothwell; 7th May 2015 at 04:17 PM..
Old 9th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
hahaha, we're having a hard time prying them from clients hands after evaluation.

Indeed!

War, Just wanted to post,

In my travels, I have found the absolute best way to evaluate how "analog" a converter sounds, is to compare it to the original analog source in a controlled environment. It is sort of impossible to tell how a AD converter will represent your material without passing your material into it. These devices are also part of a cumulative effect. How it preforms with your work and the rest of your equipment. It can make it hard to select the right units for what you are in need of. But to compare the technical aspects on paper will help to understand why we believe an AD is "more analog sounding" than another AD. For me, it is the total and complete lack of amplifier circuit in the AD8, compared to the high-slewing op amp design of the Mytek.

I can hear the Mytek. I can hear the JCF. Each time I am left with a residual side affect of the devices imprint, or lack of imprint. The side effect you get from the JCF is from the transformer. It is very musical in nature. If you like transformers, you will like them here. The Side effect you get from the Mytek is not as musical, to my ears. It is more "electronic sounding", rather than a soft natural "ear-pleasing" vibe of the JCF.

Josh built it using Analog Recording Medium as a Template, so to speak, feeling very lack luster about the way many AD converters sounded upon playback of his material. He really crafted a design that makes everything process much different down stream. This to me, is the main selling point of the unit as the second you sweep around with an equalizer or compress something you know it's not like what you are acclimated to. In fact you are feeling the nuance and essence of recording to an Analog Deck. It's different.

It was designed to capture as close to a mirror image as it possibly can, [Josh's favorite tape recorders] and totally embraces what good sounding transformer's [custom cinemag] can bring to the table. Even though you are running through a transformer, this converter doesn't impart any "amplifier" coloration. In that sense, the sound is pure, calm and steady as she goes. Creamy but extraordinarily FAITHFUL to the original signal's integrity and response. This idea is very different from the BURL converters, which uses DISCRETE high performance amplifiers. While the idea's of using a transformer are similar in these AD converters, when the rubber meets the road, the topologies could not be more different.

War, I know you have gone to great length's with your examples, they do seem helpful in a sense. But really, with this level of scrutiny I believe Audio engineer's will need more context here to really understand what is happening with the AD converter, and it's technology. Samples are all well and good, but I strongly advise the community to do their own testing with this hardware, first hand - working with their own musical application. It is best to use your own musical application, and compare to what you currently use. I promise you there will be a different result, which is ultimately the device and the designers intention. You will better understand it's designer's intention with it.

I dare you to return this AD converter to DSPdoctor!
What about summing the 8 channels of the Mytek 8x192 through a Nicerizer or a Summarizer Pro? That would seem to created a similar sound as the JCF Latte but for less $$$, plus 8 channels as well as a separate summing mixer.

Just a thouht.
Old 10th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
What about summing the 8 channels of the Mytek 8x192 through a Nicerizer or a Summarizer Pro? That would seem to created a similar sound as the JCF Latte but for less $$$, plus 8 channels as well as a separate summing mixer.

Just a thouht.
SEA,
Having used this gear,
I don't think anything comes close to the Latte.
That unit will be unique and special without equal,
Old 10th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
SEA,
Having used this gear,
I don't think anything comes close to the Latte.
That unit will be unique and special without equal,
"I don't think" is not an AB comparison. One would have to set up a Mytek 8x192 with a Nicerizer next to the Latte for that.

Now, take a Forssell, Lavry, Mytek, and run them through high end analog circuitry and then you have a sound that is "special" and unique as well!

The Latte is unique but that doesn't mean you couldn't get a better sound that rocks using high end converters running through custom hand made summing mixers.
Old 10th May 2015
^Neither is your guessing
Old 10th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
^Neither is your guessing
LOL! Fair enough!

But I would agree in and of itself, the Latte as a 2 channel interface is unique and yes... Nothing like it! One day when I have the $$$ I'll have to try it for sure!

BTW - Have you used the Mytek 8x192 and tried running it through and external summing mixer? With that said, have you used any summing mixers? If so, which ones?

Last edited by SEA; 25th August 2015 at 07:34 PM..
Old 10th May 2015
Quote:
LOL! Fair enough! heh

But I would agree in and of itself, the Latte as a 2 channel interface is unique and yes... Nothing like it! One day when I have the $$$ I'll have to try it for sure!

BTW - Have you used the Mytek 8x192 and tried running it through and external summing mixer? With that said, have you used any summing mixers? If so, which ones?
Yes, I have used all the equipment you mentioned.

I am a pro audio dealer, my shop is called DSPdoctor. We sell gear.

I used to work for Mercenary Audio...if you do not know who I am.
Old 10th May 2015
The list of summing gear I have used is way too long for this thread
Old 10th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
The list of summing gear I have used is way too long for this thread
So give us the top 2 summing mixers (IYHO)

Also, do you prefer the Hilo over the Mytek 8x192. If so, why?
Old 10th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I have used all the equipment you mentioned.

I am a pro audio dealer, my shop is called DSPdoctor. We sell gear.

I used to work for Mercenary Audio...if you do not know who I am.
Cool! Then you must know how to show some "Mercy" on all us Gearslutz!
Old 10th May 2015
Quote:
Cool! Then you must know how to show some "Mercy" on all us Gearslutz!
lord have mercy!!

on me!
Old 10th May 2015
Quote:
So give us the top 2 summing mixers (IYHO)

Also, do you prefer the Hilo over the Mytek 8x192. If so, why?
RE: Beauty Contest for Summing Mixers;
My favorite two "big boy" Summing Mixers are the Great River MM20 and the InnerTUBE Audio Sumthang. But I use and LOVE the JCF LEVR/Passive setup. More of a minimal approach [for minimal cash flow!!] to mixing with the computer. Though I can use any of one of a bunch of stereo mic preamp at the end of that chain too. Good to have options.

RE: What Converters I prefer between the Mytek and the Lynx;
I personally prefer all the flexibility with the Lynx HILO over the Mytek 8x192, which is a line I/O box. The Hilo is an Interface with advanced features that are suited for a different place in your studio. I already have multi-channel converters. I need something dedicated to the Master Buss. I would have no problem parking a hilo in my rig, and also for Location Work. In Fact I am thinking about buying one just for that.

I don't see how you can compare using a multi-channel ADA to a 2 Channel one. Its end user specific. Does the Sound Compare? Yup. it does. Because they are clean converters. It really is up to you. The Sound quality of the Lynx unit is very nice. At this level, we are talking preference for sound. To my ears, I prefer the sound of the Lynx converters a little more, as they appeal more to my aesthetic.

I hope this "..mercy" was enough for ya!
Old 10th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:

I hope this "..mercy" was enough for ya!
Almost!

I'll give ya a PM for more details!

Last edited by SEA; 25th August 2015 at 07:33 PM..
Old 11th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
The JCF AD8 is a new challenger for "analog" sounding... It's got the Mytek by the balls regarding that aspect
The Mytek 8x192 has an upgrade on the 8 ADC for $400 that take it to the next level! Well worth it says end-users. Might be nice to AB it with the JCF
Old 11th May 2015
Quote:
The Mytek 8x192 has an upgrade on the 8 ADC for $400 that take it to the next level! Well worth it says end-users. Might be nice to AB it with the JCF
Well, I have used the Mytek before, but I haven't directly compared with the JCF Audio AD8, I would "guess" you are going to have a smile on your face when you push the buttons between them.
I have compared the AD8 directly with the Apogee Symphony, the RADAR Nyquist, the Lynx Aurora8 as well the AD16x/Rosetta 800/200 AD portions. At the time, those were the converters we had in the room side by side. You could pick which ones you wanted to make records with,
Or you could A/B/C/D/E/F/G them.
I did not un-patch the JCF for music.
Old 11th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I have used the Mytek before, but I haven't directly compared with the JCF Audio AD8, I would "guess" you are going to have a smile on your face when you push the buttons between them.
I have compared the AD8 directly with the Apogee Symphony, the RADAR Nyquist, the Lynx Aurora8 as well the AD16x/Rosetta 800/200 AD portions. At the time, those were the converters we had in the room side by side. You could pick which ones you wanted to make records with,
Or you could A/B/C/D/E/F/G them.
I did not un-patch the JCF for music.
Sounds like the JCF Latte is pretty sweet!

As far as summing goes, perhaps the Latte would give ya all the vibe you need without having to analog sum eh?

My only concern is bottle necking. Seems like the point to analog summing mixers is to get more headroom, current, signal (whatever) and not get to that 90% point of an ITB mix and THEN have everything fall to crap!

SEA
Old 11th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
What kind of ADC upgrade on the Mytek 8x192 do you mean..?
Old 11th May 2015
Quote:
Sounds like the JCF Latte is pretty sweet!

As far as summing goes, perhaps the Latte would give ya all the vibe you need without having to analog sum eh?

My only concern is bottle necking. Seems like the point to analog summing mixers is to get more headroom, current, signal (whatever) and not get to that 90% point of an ITB mix and THEN have everything fall to crap!

SEA
I was talking about the AD8
Which is a Passive Transformer Based Eight Channel AD converter
with a custom DSP processing network,

The JCF Audio Latte is a different thing altogether...way different...but the AD8 is close to the Latte for sure, (again just different)
It was designed for mastering but has several amazing "bonus points awarded" for its innovative layout and contrasting circuitry.

It's ADC is on another level, like...the highest one...probably the only PCM converter I have tried that didn't change the analog source at all. And the DA is musically amazing,
It sounds like your mix is coming off a vintage master recorder, and not a computer. But no, it does not replace analog summing. If you are running any kind of analog setup, the Latte is like the best thing since sliced bread,

It won't replace other gear, no,
but it sure is one hell of an option for mixing with a digital device. Its output character is extremely beautiful. When you are not mixing, you can attain this beautiful sound simply by using the microphone inputs.
Old 11th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
What kind of ADC upgrade on the Mytek 8x192 do you mean..?
I mean Chebon Littlefield the Director of Marketing of Mytek went to 3 heavy weight old school gurus who each had their own way of doing things to get that "vintage sound" so to speak, and after 3 different mods, Chebon picked out the best of the bunch and THAT is now the new standard for the Mytek ADC that he prefers even above the newer Mytek Stereo192 ADC for tracking etc.

It will be implemented on the NEW 8x192 with other upgrade in the circuitry plus a cooler looking case.

But for now, end-users who have the current 8x192 can upgrade to the NEW ADC which has a different capacitor that gives you more a fuller, richer, more analog sound from what I hear.

SEA

Last edited by SEA; 11th May 2015 at 04:33 PM..
Old 11th May 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
I only need 2 channels of AD. The 8 DA would be more what I'm looking for if I am to do any kind of analog summing .

SEA
Old 13th August 2015
Quote:
Have you had a chance to AB the Mytek to the Pure2?

I was considering the Pure2 when it first hit the street but now leaning on the Mytek 8X192.

Mytek said the 8 channel summing in the 8X192 is similar vibe as a Neve console. THAT would be SaaaWEET!

But since I only need 2 channels I was leaning on the Mytek Stereo192 ADC and Stereo192 DSD DAC, but hey! 8X192 and summing? Com'on! heh
tardy to the party! i have only heard great things about the pure. have not tried them as of yet, i have never actually used the summing in the myteks. the bulk of my work is in 2 track. you cant go wrong with the myteks. for what its worth, a friend was getttting rid of some equipment and had some lavry ad10 units, i grab the pair da and ad 10 for a song and am very happy with them also. that may be worth considering. they are only 96k, but admittedly im using them quite a lot now. they handle soft clip limiting a lot better than the myteks i find. again totally subjective, just to my ears. its worth investigating.
Old 13th August 2015
Quote:

The JCF Audio Latte is a different thing altogether...way different...but the AD8 is close to the Latte for sure, (again just different)
It was designed for mastering but has several amazing "bonus points awarded" for its innovative layout and contrasting circuitry.

It's ADC is on another level, like...the highest one...probably the only PCM converter I have tried that didn't change the analog source at all. And the DA is musically amazing,
It sounds like your mix is coming off a vintage master recorder, and not a computer. But no, it does not replace analog summing. If you are running any kind of analog setup, the Latte is like the best thing since sliced bread,

It won't replace other gear, no,
but it sure is one hell of an option for mixing with a digital device. Its output character is extremely beautiful. When you are not mixing, you can attain this beautiful sound simply by using the microphone inputs.
the latte is very special piece. its on the short list. i demo'd one seemingly years ago and was pretty floored not just by the sound but the utility of that device. its a sonic swiss army knife. you have lit the GAS for one on fire again.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search