The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Hey Steven

An important part of my workflow especially with EQ is flipping the controls to the faders on my C24. On some larger plugins (e.g izotope ozone) you can't do this well, because there are just too many controls. I'm imaging this could be the case with this plug in as you can add many instances.

I'm hoping you consider this element when mapping the plug in controls for Pro Tools, as i'm very interested.

Cheers

Phil

Sent from my MK16i
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
A vcc master fader at -10 emulation for the ssl would be awsome to emulate the sound of a hard driven ssl desk
What is the significance of "-10" master fader? Do you drive an SSL by pulling the master fader down 10dB? Seems like instead you would push the rest of the faders up to drive the master buss, as Steven outlines below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
That's exactly how I like to run the SSL and you can achieve this now by just smashing the Brit 4k emulation of the VCC Mixbuss (by just pushing your channels heavy into it).. and then I'll just reduce the master fader. You still get that saturated mid thickening effect from the emulation of the mixbuss overloading. You can then send that to the VBC for some tightening.

The Brit 4k is an emulation that loves to be abused.

Cheers,
Steven
Why not just use a trim after VCC, and then run it right into FG-X?
It seems there's no need to mess with the master fader volume.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=joellegros;9515673]Steven,

Any possbility to add a phase button to VCC in the update? This would be great for workflow.

I second that, it would be awsome.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joellegros View Post
Steven,

Any possbility to add a phase button to VCC in the update? This would be great for workflow. It's annoying to add a trim plugin in addition to VCC for this feature.

Also, larger reduction than -6 dB on the trim for those tracks that were recorded a little bit to hot.

I'm excited about VMR!
Agree 100%
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Jeezo are you a beta tester?
He's just one lucky guy imo.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
I want Slate Digital to make a DAW! Zero Latency...and I am sure he knows the features that we need!
Same here. Doesn't even need to be very fancy, as long as it's built it around a modeled console with a few included essentials (bus comp, EQ, gate, limiter, tape deck, etc) with the option to purchase extra modules for it a la Sonar's ProChannel.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I hope you guys have a sign up at AES reading "Stop by the booth and let Steven show you his rack".
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's exactly how I like to run the SSL and you can achieve this now by just smashing the Brit 4k emulation of the VCC Mixbuss (by just pushing your channels heavy into it).. and then I'll just reduce the master fader. You still get that saturated mid thickening effect from the emulation of the mixbuss overloading. You can then send that to the VBC for some tightening.

Cheers,
Steven
You are aware that you just came out of the closet being another CLAslut thanks for the hints ill try it.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
A vcc master fader at -10 emulation for the ssl would be awsome to emulate the sound of a hard driven ssl desk
Shhhh
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Steven answered my question, but parts of it may have been misunderstood. Obviously people mixing on an SSL msy want to also use outboard of other brands/types. As for redundancy, another analogy for my question would be that that if I'm going through 2 identical simulations, then it could potentially be like (in the real world) going through an SSL board, and then going through another SSL board right after that.

But based on Steven's answer, that's not the case anyway.
Well, plenty of studios track through a console to tape, and then mixdown on that same console.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Happy Slate customer here (SSD,VCC, VBC). Sorry, but I don't get it this time. I think we do not have to argue why 500 series is so popular in the hardware realm. But a 500 software rack? Looks like marketing BS to me.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are aware that you just came out of the closet being another CLAslut thanks for the hints ill try it.
Haha!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamesJond View Post
He's just one lucky guy imo.
lol i'm dsicovering this with you guyz ...but i beta tested some stuff from Slate and ......

i beta tested for exemple trigger 2 and guess what : i have been unable to post a feedback simply because the guyz were to fast :

Verision A received ...ok will try it tomorow after work
next day open the computer : Version B posted !! lol ok i test ....great doing the report , finish and post tomorow
next day : version C ! ect ....newt test , new report and on and on ...lolol

I was like dammm those guyz are on fire !!

To go back on the subject ...i think slate and Fab got the good cruisin speed now !! Team/methodlogy /new frame work .....all is working like super smooth (at least this is what i can appreciate from my few contact)

So yep i'm waiting for those bad boyz ....like you guyz :!! and no still didn't tried those but stay tuned : Audio Dayz next week in Paris SAE with Fabrice Gabriel , i promise i will lobby for you guyz to know more !!!
Old 18th October 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Hey Steven,

On the VCC, how much do you find yourself driving into it?

1. Right before clipping with drive at +6 or +12db
2. Clipping with drive at +6 or 12db
3. Normal 0db via VU meter with drive at +6 or +12db

Just curious.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 18th October 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

By the way, very interested in the new plugins.
Wish there was a phase button on it.
Also, I hope they can be set to 1 plugin at a time and not 3 or 4.
This does remind me of IK CS plugin that can have all of their plugins in one plugin. Never used it, never will.
If it's setup like that, I probably will skip it.
If I'm not mistaken, in a 500 rack, can't you use each unit on different tracks?
I don't own a 500 rack, that's why I'm asking.
I have to admit, we have 2 Neve 1073's and this would be great to have that sound in plugins.
SSL Eq's were never that great so, don't know why he modeled those.
I wish he did the API or Massenberg or Focusrite, etc.
Also, by having a rack setup, you could do Mic Pre colors.
That hasn't been done yet.
Very cool that I could add the VCC to this.
I may get it just for that but, just not sure of the rack thing.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
I have great news. We have a timing preset that is exactly that, and I actually love that setting on vox too.

Cheers,
Steven
Wondering about the decision to implement preset time constants rather than variable attack/release functions? Can you explain a bit?

Very excited for this.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'll try to come too.
Would be happy to meet you.

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Great news !
Another vote for PT ICON mapping Steve !
I really love your plugins but as long as they don´t map on my D-Command
EQ/DYN section they´re pretty useless.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Also, by having a rack setup, you could do Mic Pre colors.
That hasn't been done yet.
Yes, it has.
But the ssl sound was never that great anyhow
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
I'll try to come too.
Would be happy to meet you.

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
It's not opened to public but if you already been there once this seems that you could one more time
Old 19th October 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

You can load as many up to eight or as few modules as you want.

There are major workflow advantages to loading one plugin and having your entire track mixing chain in front of you. Audition different filters on a track, combine filters to make a hybrid channel strip, experiment with order, eq 'into' the compressor, gain stage your modules for a desired effect, quickly access different processors to execute what you're going for, etc.

Now if you want to use other plugins along with the VMR, it works just like any other plugin and your workflow will not change. You can load one module if you want.

So everyone wins.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Although I will be at AES tomorrow and will definitely be checking out VMR, Steven can you grace us with some sound examples of each? Simple stuff, with the settings and of course Dry file.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
still no release date or price? i dont understand why hype a product and not give any info on those two rather important things. i know Steven makes great software but this info would really be appreciated
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I am amazed at how Slate generates these responses. One guy said he ejaculated over this plug. Man, some folks need a real life.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

The build being shown at AES is 3 days old.

It's a preview. I heard January at the booth.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

There are major workflow advantages to loading one plugin and having your entire track mixing chain in front of you. Audition different filters on a track, combine filters to make a hybrid channel strip, experiment with order, eq 'into' the compressor, gain stage your modules for a desired effect, quickly access different processors to execute what you're going for, etc.

Now if you want to use other plugins along with the VMR, it works just like any other plugin and your workflow will not change. You can load one module if you want.

So everyone wins.

Cheers,
Steven
Does the GUI have empty slots or will be variable-sized according to how many slots are filled? I'd hate to only be using 3 processors and have a bunch of wasted screen space.

I love having everything on one screen, BTW! Great concept!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
I am amazed at how Slate generates these responses. One guy said he ejaculated over this plug. Man, some folks need a real life.
Steve is a very handsome guy, maybe it wasn't the plugin that got that guy off...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Does the GUI have empty slots or will be variable-sized according to how many slots are filled? I'd hate to only be using 3 processors and have a bunch of wasted screen space.

I love having everything on one screen, BTW! Great concept!
It auto sizes.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

January is not good enough. Cmon, need this NOW
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:

So everyone wins.

Cheers,
Steven
I've seen a few plugins that can serve as VST hosts. If you make a channel strip that serves as a vst host, then peeps can put their other plugins wherever they want in the slate chain.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search