The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Tried AOM and respectfully disagree. But I'll give it another shot if demo is possible. Can't remember how that demo works. Hope Slate gets the VMR going soon
Definitely try again. There is a new "suppress" algorithm, really incredible.

Every time I tried FG-X it sounded like obvious converter clipping. Hopefully the next algorithm will be better. One can never have too many limiter options.
Old 7th June 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

What is "converter clipping"?
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
What is "converter clipping"?
A level-boosting torture technique that gained popularity in the early 90's whereby the inflictor would re-record audio and deliberately clip the inputs on an A/D converter, thus producing a hotter signal than could be obtained by other, more reasonable, means.

The first time I saw this was in a basement home studio where the engineer proudly pointed out how the waveform looked hedge-clipped. At the time, in certain misguided circles (that I happened to be in), it was considered a very clever "step forward."

The track sounded positively horrid, but was louder than anything I'd ever heard before -- I was starry eyed. #LoudnessWarContinues

The only way most people heard our demos back then, was playing at a local venue, no Soundcloud, or Twitter. Social media was a night club and these super-loud club mixes, spared from the scrutiny of proper listening, seemed to excite the ladies. Or so we thought.
Old 7th June 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Right.

I think FG-X is designed to operate in conjunction with the compressor. Using it only as a limiter is perhaps not such a good idea.

Personally, I only use the compressor.
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Right.

I think FG-X is designed to operate in conjunction with the compressor. Using it only as a limiter is perhaps not such a good idea.
It´s designed as a mastering limiter with a mastering compressor.
Many engineers including me are using it as a limiter, compressor or both
and every single of these applications can be a good idea or not depending
on the material and individual skill level.
Tools like this in the wrong hands basically are a very bad idea.
Old 7th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalcide View Post
A level-boosting torture technique that gained popularity in the early 90's whereby the inflictor would re-record audio and deliberately clip the inputs on an A/D converter, thus producing a hotter signal than could be obtained by other, more reasonable, means.

The first time I saw this was in a basement home studio where the engineer proudly pointed out how the waveform looked hedge-clipped. At the time, in certain misguided circles (that I happened to be in), it was considered a very clever "step forward."

The track sounded positively horrid, but was louder than anything I'd ever heard before -- I was starry eyed. #LoudnessWarContinues

The only way most people heard our demos back then, was playing at a local venue, no Soundcloud, or Twitter. Social media was a night club and these super-loud club mixes, spared from the scrutiny of proper listening, seemed to excite the ladies. Or so we thought.
according to howie weinberg, he is clipping his converter to increase loudness instead of using a brickwall limiter. (Q&A thread with h. weinberg on gearslutz)
him being one of the most in demand mastering engineers, it seems to be a very common technique? so why the facepalm?
Old 8th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfger View Post
according to howie weinberg, he is clipping his converter to increase loudness instead of using a brickwall limiter. (Q&A thread with h. weinberg on gearslutz)
him being one of the most in demand mastering engineers, it seems to be a very common technique? so why the facepalm?
Point well-taken. I'm sure capable hands, today's high-end converters and a lighter touch would make all the difference.

The facepalm was more for the shameful things my cohorts and I did with low quality 12 and 16 bit converters, inexperience and a quest for level. Often, very little subtlety was employed. The R&B and Hip-hop we produced back then seemed to have only one requested benchmark: The "Jeep test" (basically, rattling the artist's speakers).

Also, to your point, there are now some respectable limiter plugins that clip on purpose (like Stillwell's Event Horizon and Vlagdsound's #No. 6 limiter) that I think are pretty close to pure clipping, though perhaps it's more sophisticated than that.
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

8 weeks have passed
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
8 weeks have passed
Yep and my guess was wrong :(
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Addict

I gess it will come out june 27 at the same time raven 2.0 comes out ?
Old 9th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 View Post
I hope
Old 9th June 2014
Cheer up, Heraldo, it's just another set of eq's and compressors, which I am sure you have plenty of already
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
Cheer up, Heraldo, it's just another set of eq's and compressors, which I am sure you have plenty of already
Careful young man, its our saviour you are talking about!
Old 9th June 2014
I really don't care about the eq's and comp's set, but I think myself that is another step done to use once again VCC, also I know that probably I will have to wait to fall of the year for the properly update.
Old 9th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Careful young man, its our saviour you are talking about!
I have almost all the plug-ins our saviour has ever made, so we're in the same boat, dear Leevi. I'm just trying to positively inject a little perspective into this Slate waiting game. We don't NEED yet another eq or compressor to be able to carry on in life
Old 9th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
I have almost all the plug-ins our saviour has ever made....
Correction. I have them ALL
Old 9th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 View Post
you mean june 27 2015?!
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Didn't they say that they'll release the rack first, then the four components? If so, we've got quite a while to wait, still.

Yet they just keep announcing new stuff… why? I get that it builds hype and I really love the company and everything they do, but Raven 2.0, SSD 4.0, VMS… I mean, come on. At this point, announcing new **** is just plain hostile to people that are waiting for 64-bit FG-X or VCC 2.

In the meantime, I’m finding SlickEQ really, really good. And free, unbelievably.
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Guru
I would add trying the Hornet 34 eq for mids also very inexpensive....Between Saverio's stuff and Sknote been on an Italian kick lately....!
Old 9th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazealigned View Post
In the meantime, I’m finding SlickEQ really, really good. And free, unbelievably.
Thanks for sharing! That's a nice sounding plugin...and it's FREE!
Old 9th June 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi folks, we continue to make great progress with VMS and hope to get it to our beta team asap.

Regarding FG-X since it was brought up, if you can't use it to make your master sound nearly identical to your mix, you're likely setting it improperly or simply pushing levels too hard.

Here is a video link where I crank a mix 10db and it's barely noticeable that anything has been done:
Mastering Tutorial with FG-X from Slate Digital - YouTube

The FG-X 2.0 that we're working on will be able achieve the same transparent effect but with less controls and it will also go louder... errr.. if you're into that, with the same transparency.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 9th June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi folks, we continue to make great progress with VMS and hope to get it to our beta team asap.
Buhhh.... VMS or VMR?

Old 10th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cool that it's getting so close, but pretty clear it won't be done before my current project. Hopefully by the next one then! :-)
Old 10th June 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Sorry folks I meant VMR

SS
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Betting on September 23

"Hope to get it to our beta team ASAP" indeed
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

I predict a poetic July 4th release
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sorry folks I meant VMR

SS
VMS, VMR... whatever. I'll buy em all. Gimme.
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

Eventides new free multi effect has calmed my gearlust a bit.
Old 10th June 2014
FREE Eventide Ultra Channel Plug-in Until July 8th With

Here's the Eventide link kaboom75 is referring to. Good stuff!
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
I predict a poetic July 4th release
If it's not in Beta stage - three months minimum...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search