The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 29th May 2014
  #1501
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland View Post
Great that you have finally come around to doing this! i remember exchanging a lot of personal emails with Fabrice and Hive a colleague of mine pre VCC release (most of which i just read through). Fabrice pretty much shunned the idea that distorting the **it out of desk channels to get a certain sound was something that many people did and therefore wasn't worth modelling in VCC. There was a lot of talk between us as to whether it could even be done in digital to the extent that we wanted it done. I have been using analog desks of various different descriptions and preamp saturation to reduce crest factor and produce crazy distortion sounds for the best part of 15 years. I have never found anything digital even now in 2014 that nails it. I really hope you've done it now, as only then can you really say that it is indistinguishable from analog....
Well then perhaps you helped create the monster. Fabrice is an absolute fanatic about how things distort.. as in.. REALLY distort. He's also not afraid to model stuff that is inaudible, like stuff that happens under 20Hz.

But in the end, it's nice to know that algorithms match the hardware in both sound and on paper.

Cheers,
Steven
2
Share
Old 29th May 2014
  #1502
Lives for gear
 
The Vulture's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
$50 says you are wrong.
I accept the bold move.
Old 29th May 2014
  #1503
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
I accept the bold move.
Cool. When VMR comes out BEFORE SEPTEMBER 2014 it'll cost me just $99!
1
Share
Old 29th May 2014
  #1504
Lives for gear
 
kaboom75's Avatar
is it a Roland Dimension D?
Old 29th May 2014
  #1505
Gear Addict
 
WasserSpitzer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the continued interest, it is certainly motivating us!

As I've said in the past, there is a lot of pressure for companies like Slate to make big announcements at tradeshows. Why? Because tradeshows are very expensive and you get a lot of press. Last AES we thought we'd be able to get the VMR done rather quickly. But as time went on, we realized that the hosting structure of the VMR was very complex, we decided to redo an entire algorithm, we enhanced the CPU, we added another module, we had some layoffs and hires... this is the reality of business. It's not always predictable.

But anyway, we're doing very well right now and I'm confident that the VMR will be the future of professional ITB mixing. It sounds excellent, is versatile, speeds up workflow, and it'll be easy for us to make new modules for it since the "power" aka the VMR rack, is already done. And because of the ease of making new modules, they'll be affordable and will be CPU efficient on that wonderful processor inside your Mac or PC.

To give an update, we're just tackling some annoying issues with utility stuff... making the drag and drop quicker for instance... and for algorithms, we're working on the exact transformer saturation of the FG-116 since it's about 95% right, and it needs to be 100%.

But these issues are at the verge of being done with, so I'm confident we'll be meeting our last given timeline and the VMR will be the ultimate start of summer mixing gift for you.

Cheers,
Steven
Steven , let`s asume you guys are actually doing what you say .
First thing .You have had many releases and it is always the same trend , all evidence show that you know how much "trouble" you guys have with finishing a product . It is the same story every time .
Can you please just add a year to the release date when you show up with your new products at the next show? Just tell people that there is little reason to expect anyting very soon , lesson learned from past releases .
This way you get the puplicity and fame . The problem with this is the fact that you have to keep the buzz real and alive , right ? We both know the realitys behind such an anouncement , people would just forget about it .
This thread is very important . Not for everyone involved in the conversation but to manifest the product among all those lurkers on the web .
This thread will do great as soon as the controversy is going for a couple of pages . People just don`t like boring talk about harmonics , we both know that . It`s the presence and share numbers that is important .
I want you to know that this is what`s really annoying about it all , it would be better to be a bit more "honest" against all those who actually like you products but also have a brain to understand what is going on .
We are animals by nature and we get addicted to most ridiculous things . I`m actually quite sick in my head for doing this , controversy created .
Free products can be awarded by PM
1
Share
Old 29th May 2014
  #1506
Lives for gear
 

what about elicenser?
Old 29th May 2014
  #1507
Brb
Gear Addict
 
Brb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasserSpitzer View Post
Steven , let`s asume you guys are actually doing what you say .
First thing .You have had many releases and it is always the same trend , all evidence show that you know how much "trouble" you guys have with finishing a product . It is the same story every time .
Can you please just add a year to the release date when you show up with your new products at the next show? Just tell people that there is little reason to expect anyting very soon , lesson learned from past releases .
This way you get the puplicity and fame . The problem with this is the fact that you have to keep the buzz real and alive , right ? We both know the realitys behind such an anouncement , people would just forget about it .
This thread is very important . Not for everyone involved in the conversation but to manifest the product among all those lurkers on the web .
This thread will do great as soon as the controversy is going for a couple of pages . People just don`t like boring talk about harmonics , we both know that . It`s the presence and share numbers that is important .
I want you to know that this is what`s really annoying about it all , it would be better to be a bit more "honest" against all those who actually like you products but also have a brain to understand what is going on .
We are animals by nature and we get addicted to most ridiculous things . I`m actually quite sick in my head for doing this , controversy created .
Free products can be awarded by PM
If they release it now it would be an inferior product. Do you want something incomplete?
Old 29th May 2014
  #1508
Lives for gear
 
Dom & Roland's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Well then perhaps you helped create the monster. Fabrice is an absolute fanatic about how things distort.. as in.. REALLY distort. He's also not afraid to model stuff that is inaudible, like stuff that happens under 20Hz.

But in the end, it's nice to know that algorithms match the hardware in both sound and on paper.

Cheers,
Steven
Indeed..... I sent you a PM, get back to me when you have the chance.
Old 29th May 2014
  #1509
Gear Guru
The best new product will be the Slate VCM, Virtual Check in the Mail...
2
Share
Old 29th May 2014
  #1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
what about elicenser?
What about it? heh

FIY, Slate uses Ilok - not elicenser.
Old 31st May 2014
  #1511
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Maybe Steven wants to kick the plugin out at the same time as the World Cup begins
2
Share
Old 2nd June 2014
  #1512
Gear Maniac
 

Any chance you could release it now just to fill the hour and a half before WWDC starts? :-P
1
Share
Old 2nd June 2014
  #1513
Gear Maniac
 
BearOnGuitar's Avatar
 

Steven, could you please post one or a two audio samples with VMR processing? Doesn't even have to be an A/B comparison, just something that's exciting that we can listen to while we wait for the release.
Old 2nd June 2014
  #1514
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearOnGuitar View Post
Steven, could you please post one or a two audio samples with VMR processing? Doesn't even have to be an A/B comparison, just something that's exciting that we can listen to while we wait for the release.
No way man. Let's have some new pics of the GUI! Then we can proclaim some more how much of a game changer this plugin no one has heard is.
7
Share
Old 2nd June 2014
  #1515
Lives for gear
Received an email today from Slate stating that all Raven owners will be getting a free copy of VMR.

What a great gesture that is!

1
Share
Old 2nd June 2014
  #1516
Here for the gear
 
Gambapaketera's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
No way man. Let's have some new pics of the GUI! Then we can proclaim some more how much of a game changer this plugin no one has heard is.
English is not my first language, but i definately notice some sarcasm in that sentence
3
Share
Old 2nd June 2014
  #1517
Lives for gear
 
kaboom75's Avatar
"If you purchase a RAVEN MTi or MTX before September 1st, you'll get a FREE Slate Digital VIRTUAL MIX RACK PLUGIN."
I don't think slate will link audio demos until the algorithms are finished. I wish Slate would also do as an option Ableton Live gui versions so I can see and use them without opening their gui. Like you can with Cytomic The Glue.
2
Share
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1518
Gear Head
I'm a fool like everyone else ?...I'm going to wait 3 more weeks for the VMR
then I going to get an Uad Octo...I doubt if they will be as good as the Api,
or the new Neve ?....I like the Vtm but recently I've started using the
Ampex again...sorry...to it blows it a away....
3
Share
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1519
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesnstuff View Post
I'm a fool like everyone else ?...I'm going to wait 3 more weeks for the VMR
then I going to get an Uad Octo...I doubt if they will be as good as the Api,
or the new Neve ?....I like the Vtm but recently I've started using the
Ampex again...sorry...to it blows it a away....
Ampex was seducing me too now when it is on sale but I decided to stay honest to my saviour and stick with the VTM
1
Share
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1520
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

The fact that VCC cannot be overdrived makes me upset everytime. Its the same mentality as leaving the all buttons in out of the 1176 and omitting the filter of the ssl 242 or the entire dynamics section

Its nice modelling but doesnt offer the entire deal yikes
5
Share
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1521
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
The fact that VCC cannot be overdrived makes me upset everytime. Its the same mentality as leaving the all buttons in out of the 1176 and omitting the filter of the ssl 242 or the entire dynamics section

Its nice modelling but doesnt offer the entire deal yikes
You can certainly overdrive VCC, you just have to use a trim plug after, which is so weak. When I use VCC, I've always got about 30-40 trim plugins in the session just to keep levels in check. It's also impossible to do a proper, instant AB comparison with no trim in VCC. A really annoying oversight if you ask me.
2
Share
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1522
Gear Maniac
 

Out of interest, have Raven users already got VMR or is it just that you'll get it for free at the same time that it's available for the rest of us? Either way I presume it's VERY close to completion now if they're doing this deal.
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1523
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
You can certainly overdrive VCC, you just have to use a trim plug after, which is so weak. When I use VCC, I've always got about 30-40 trim plugins in the session just to keep levels in check. It's also impossible to do a proper, instant AB comparison with no trim in VCC. A really annoying oversight if you ask me.
Can't you just adjust the calibration? Are you saying you still toss on a trim even if you adjust calibration to get it to saturate/ distort?
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1524
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoneygetpaid View Post
Can't you just adjust the calibration?
I think he is trying to point out that just by adding VCC you get higher output - which imho shouldn't be there. I think it's tedious to compare processing that way. Maybe i am wrong
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1525
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoneygetpaid View Post
Can't you just adjust the calibration? Are you saying you still toss on a trim even if you adjust calibration to get it to saturate/ distort?
You can lower each type of console globally by 1 db. This is a joke. The VCC boosts about 1 db just by inserting it. Also, global trim?? Useless unless every time you insert, say, an instance of API, you'll have it set exactly the same and won't raise the input at all. It's ridiculous.
If you raise the input at all, to get that nice saturation, you get a massive volume boost and there's no way to compensate for it.
This also means you can't do a proper AB because you have to click two rows of inserts on and off and because of the trim plugs having to pull back so hard your levels jump all over the place before you can hear the AB you're wanting to hear.
I love VCC but the lack of a simple output trim is just odd and a huge pain in the arse. And compared to the complex modeling already present, it would seem an output knob is a challenge Fabrice and the gang would have been up to.
2
Share
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1526
Lives for gear
 
superwack's Avatar
I'm almost 100% certain Slate has said the new VCC 2.0 has an output control
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1527
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

VCC has an output knob, and you can link the input and output like you do in VTM which is an entirely different type (and musical) saturation than just using the drive.

We continue to work on the finalizing of VMR. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Steven
3
Share
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
VCC has an output knob, and you can link the input and output like you do in VTM which is an entirely different type (and musical) saturation than just using the drive.

We continue to work on the finalizing of VMR. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Steven
I LOVE this feature in VTM. Thanks for bringing it to VCC.
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1529
Lives for gear
 
davidwilson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
VCC has an output knob, and you can link the input and output like you do in VTM which is an entirely different type (and musical) saturation than just using the drive.

We continue to work on the finalizing of VMR. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Steven
I'm assuming your confident VMR will be ready for when Raven 2 is released .
Old 3rd June 2014
  #1530
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
VCC has an output knob, and you can link the input and output like you do in VTM which is an entirely different type (and musical) saturation than just using the drive.

We continue to work on the finalizing of VMR. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Steven
Can't wait to see this cutting edge knob implemented in VCC.

But seriously, it'll make it 100x more useable.
4
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump