The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 27th May 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi guys, thanks for the continued interest, it is certainly motivating us!

As I've said in the past, there is a lot of pressure for companies like Slate to make big announcements at tradeshows. Why? Because tradeshows are very expensive and you get a lot of press. Last AES we thought we'd be able to get the VMR done rather quickly. But as time went on, we realized that the hosting structure of the VMR was very complex, we decided to redo an entire algorithm, we enhanced the CPU, we added another module, we had some layoffs and hires... this is the reality of business. It's not always predictable.

But anyway, we're doing very well right now and I'm confident that the VMR will be the future of professional ITB mixing. It sounds excellent, is versatile, speeds up workflow, and it'll be easy for us to make new modules for it since the "power" aka the VMR rack, is already done. And because of the ease of making new modules, they'll be affordable and will be CPU efficient on that wonderful processor inside your Mac or PC.

To give an update, we're just tackling some annoying issues with utility stuff... making the drag and drop quicker for instance... and for algorithms, we're working on the exact transformer saturation of the FG-116 since it's about 95% right, and it needs to be 100%.

But these issues are at the verge of being done with, so I'm confident we'll be meeting our last given timeline and the VMR will be the ultimate start of summer mixing gift for you.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

A master at blowing smoke, our Steven heh
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear
Will the VMR with multiple modules just take up one VST effect insert? Cubase has four available per track for example.
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon View Post
Will the VMR with multiple modules just take up one VST effect insert? Cubase has four available per track for example.
Correct me if I'm wrong Steve but it's 1 VST/AU etc instance, just like the VBC rack.
Cubase can handle 8 slots per track btw
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong Steve but it's 1 VST/AU etc instance, just like the VBC rack.
Cubase can handle 8 slots per track btw
I only see four. How do I get eight?
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I only see four. How do I get eight?
What Cubase version?
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
What Cubase version?
Cubase LE AI Elements 7

My previous version was 5.x and that only had four slots as well.
Old 27th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cubase LE AI Elements 7

My previous version was 5.x and that only had four slots as well.
I have the full version of Cubase 5.5 here, and can confirm that there are 6 pre-fader insert slots, two post-fader.
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

That is not your version....those are three separate versions that share the same installer.

I guess you have Cubase AI as this only has 4 slots.
Elements, Artist and full version have 8.
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapswan View Post
I have the full version of Cubase 5.5 here, and can confirm that there are 6 pre-fader insert slots, two post-fader.
By two 'post fader' do you mean the master bus, two total? Or two extra on each track??
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

6 pre fade, 2 post fade per channel = 8
Old 27th May 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the update, Steven!
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
I'm confident we'll be meeting our last given timeline and the VMR will be the ultimate start of summer mixing gift for you.
Summer starts june 1st right ?
Old 27th May 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for taking the time to answer Steven. Can't wait to get my hands on VMR, but of course it's best you take all the time you need.
Old 28th May 2014
Gear Addict

summer start 21 june !
Old 28th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
By two 'post fader' do you mean the master bus, two total? Or two extra on each track??
Cubase has 6 plugins slots before the volume fader and two plugin slots behind the volume fader for each track.

The VMR shell uses only one plugin slot and you can plug multiple VMR modules into one shell.

Not sure if the shell itself uses cpu power. So far all plugin shells such as the one by Blue Cat or DDMF use cpu power even when they are empty.
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Cubase has 6 plugins slots before the volume fader and two plugin slots behind the volume fader for each track.
From what I can gather my Cubase LE version just has four pre-fader slots, so a multi module plug which works within one slot would be preferable.

I can't see the two post fader ones. Where are they exactly??
Old 28th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
From what I can gather my Cubase LE version just has four pre-fader slots, so a multi module plug which works within one slot would be preferable.

I can't see the two post fader ones. Where are they exactly??
Le probably has none.
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi folks. I had a meeting with the programming team today. ...

So, in an effort to break away from the classic Slate history of saying "soon" and then it's not the case, I will say that without any major unforeseen issue, we're looking at another 8 weeks or so.
Cheers,
Steven
That was posted April 14. June 9 would be eight weeks
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

fX116 is the FET comp right?

You told us it was ready and sounding identical the the hardware version a couple months back.

Sounds like you've gone backward.
Old 28th May 2014
Here for the gear

Jayzuz. What a bunch of entitled whinge bags. It will be ready when it's ready. 'How dare you not deliver this product which I NEED to mix'. (I'm being sarcastic). FFS. You like Slate's products right? You get them on his clock. End of story. Go and mix a song while you wait. Really looking forward to this one by the way. Sorry.
Old 28th May 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwilson View Post
fX116 is the FET comp right?

You told us it was ready and sounding identical the the hardware version a couple months back.

Sounds like you've gone backward.
Hi David! I'm so happy with the FG-116. It really captures the sound of the hardware in a way I've not heard in software yet.

The part we are working on is the way the input transformer distorts when it is heavily overloaded. This is not a typical way that someone would use this processor, but we want to make sure it responds perfectly even in this dramatic situation. It's extremely close.. but we're making some minor tweaks to get it spot on!

Thanks again guys!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi David! I'm so happy with the FG-116. It really captures the sound of the hardware in a way I've not heard in software yet.

The part we are working on is the way the input transformer distorts when it is heavily overloaded. This is not a typical way that someone would use this processor, but we want to make sure it responds perfectly even in this dramatic situation. It's extremely close.. but we're making some minor tweaks to get it spot on!

Thanks again guys!

Cheers,
Steven
Finally someone smart !

Not saying the other developers are dumb, but I think some may think this way "it is supposed to work best and sound this way fed with VU calibrated signal", so why bother modeling the tool under "heavy stress".

Just a thought...
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1176f View Post
Jayzuz. What a bunch of entitled whinge bags. It will be ready when it's ready. 'How dare you not deliver this product which I NEED to mix'. (I'm being sarcastic). FFS. You like Slate's products right? You get them on his clock. End of story. Go and mix a song while you wait. Really looking forward to this one by the way. Sorry.
I'm no whinge bag
whatever this means.

I just would like to give my money to slate
instead of paying 200 USD for the current waves WUP
of my ssl and cla bundles....
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1176f View Post
ha we are going my Slates clock which is obviously having some technical difficulties .
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The part we are working on is the way the input transformer distorts when it is heavily overloaded. This is not a typical way that someone would use this processor, but we want to make sure it responds perfectly even in this dramatic situation...
YES!

Really great to hear.

Lately, more and more it seems, with these more faithfully modeled circuits, this IS becoming the typical way I (ab)use them. heh

A great engineer once said, in response to how compressors can behave, "compressors are my favorite EQs."

I think the modern version of that sentiment might be, "faithfully modeled EQs and compressors are my favorite distortion plugins."
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The part we are working on is the way the input transformer distorts when it is heavily overloaded. This is not a typical way that someone would use this processor
shhh
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

I predict release date in late september!
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The part we are working on is the way the input transformer distorts when it is heavily overloaded. This is not a typical way that someone would use this processor, but we want to make sure it responds perfectly even in this dramatic situation.
Cheers,
Steven
Great that you have finally come around to doing this! i remember exchanging a lot of personal emails with Fabrice and Hive a colleague of mine pre VCC release (most of which i just read through). Fabrice pretty much shunned the idea that distorting the **it out of desk channels to get a certain sound was something that many people did and therefore wasn't worth modelling in VCC. There was a lot of talk between us as to whether it could even be done in digital to the extent that we wanted it done. I have been using analog desks of various different descriptions and preamp saturation to reduce crest factor and produce crazy distortion sounds for the best part of 15 years. I have never found anything digital even now in 2014 that nails it. I really hope you've done it now, as only then can you really say that it is indistinguishable from analog....
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
I predict release date in late september!
$50 says you are wrong.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search