The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 19th May 2014
  #1441
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Your vote dooesnt count. You already succeeded to pick the right files at some of the test of Steven Slate.


1
Share
Old 19th May 2014
  #1442
Does anyone know if this is an iLok-free product?
Old 19th May 2014
  #1443
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buddha Rats View Post
Does anyone know if this is an iLok-free product?
It requires iLok2.
1
Share
Old 19th May 2014
  #1444
Lives for gear
 

OMG guys I can´t believe
I´m contributing to a thread
which is about guessing the release date of a plugin....:face palm:
3
Share
Old 20th May 2014
  #1445
Lives for gear
 
LFO8's Avatar
 

So all you guys have blue balls waiting for VMR? lol
1
Share
Old 20th May 2014
  #1446
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 View Post
So all you guys have blue balls waiting for VMR? lol
Yes and guess what? My palantír is connected to Sauron's(Steven's)! There will be no daw(n) for gearslutzs! Buahahahhaahaha!

Old 21st May 2014
  #1447
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landstrom27 View Post
sorry , i was referring to modules slate should model. Off topic but, has anyone modeled a sta level?
www.sknote.it - Hardware and Software Products for Audio
1
Share
Old 21st May 2014
  #1448
Gear Guru
Good Lord 49 pages! Can we get to the part where Steven tells everyone they failed his test and they aren't hearing the right differences in his 100% accurate modeled samples? That's the fun part! BTW sknote's coming out with a second Sta-Level compressor. Should be interesting....
3
Share
Old 22nd May 2014
  #1449
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Good Lord 49 pages! Can we get to the part where Steven tells everyone they failed his test and they aren't hearing the right differences in his 100% accurate modeled samples? That's the fun part! BTW sknote's coming out with a second Sta-Level compressor. Should be interesting....
It's not a 2nd STA-Level. The GTS-39 was based on the Gates SA-39, a very large box I believe made an appearance or two in Star Wars.

The STA-LIMIT is the STA-Level. Excited for that one!
Old 22nd May 2014
  #1450
Gear Addict
Also, I want to hear the Slate FET examples yesterday.
3
Share
Old 22nd May 2014
  #1451
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
It's not a 2nd STA-Level. The GTS-39 was based on the Gates SA-39, a very large box I believe made an appearance or two in Star Wars.

The STA-LIMIT is the STA-Level. Excited for that one!
You're right , was typing quickly and made a a generalization. Thought quintosardo's take interesting of the differences between the two (limiter vs compressor), and how they shape the sound. That will probably be my next purchase (even tho have a lot of great comps). So cool to have digital gear that 10 years ago we could only dream about!

Instead of obsessing over whether x-emulation emulates x-piece of gear, I'd love to hear the same take or mix processed with say all Sknote emulations, all Kush, all Ik, and Slate (when this comes out), as an exercise. That would be a really interesting "shootout" to hear all the non-linearity, 3-Dness, etc. in a real world context. I don't think at this point we are talking about whether something is better than something else, but how they differ, and effect the sound.
Old 22nd May 2014
  #1452
Gear Nut
 
TallestTowers's Avatar
 

Since we're throwing ideas out for additional VMR modules, it would be great to have some sort of distortion box like a Thermionic Culture Vulture. I have a lot of multiband distortion plugins but it would be cool to have one thing that does a few flavors of drive really well.

Anyways, back to speculating on release date!
2
Share
Old 22nd May 2014
  #1453
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
You're right , was typing quickly and made a a generalization. Thought quintosardo's take interesting of the differences between the two (limiter vs compressor), and how they shape the sound. That will probably be my next purchase (even tho have a lot of great comps). So cool to have digital gear that 10 years ago we could only dream about!

Instead of obsessing over whether x-emulation emulates x-piece of gear, I'd love to hear the same take or mix processed with say all Sknote emulations, all Kush, all Ik, and Slate (when this comes out), as an exercise. That would be a really interesting "shootout" to hear all the non-linearity, 3-Dness, etc. in a real world context. I don't think at this point we are talking about whether something is better than something else, but how they differ, and effect the sound.
Agreed. I always find that each software developer has a "sound", just like hardware developers.
Old 23rd May 2014
  #1454
Here for the gear
 
drumsareme's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
Agreed. I always find that each software developer has a "sound", just like hardware developers.
I agree. Someone should do a mix of the same song 2 or 3 times and then we could listen and genuinely compare them

1
Share
Old 23rd May 2014
  #1455
Gear Guru
So many cool developers, so little time! Pick standard reverb and effects for those that don't have them (ie Slate), something like Valhalla. There is an example where Greg from Kush used only the UBK on a mix. This would be based more on a stem thru finished mix treatment. I can provide a song/stems (if anyone is interested PM me, not a shameless plug as I'm sure there's better material out there!). I like thinking that the developers leave a footprint, whether adding features to existing gear or coming up with their take on what's possible. Gear shootouts don't really do it for me, more interested in context!
Old 23rd May 2014
  #1456
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallestTowers View Post
Since we're throwing ideas out for additional VMR modules, it would be great to have some sort of distortion box like a Thermionic Culture Vulture. I have a lot of multiband distortion plugins but it would be cool to have one thing that does a few flavors of drive really well.

Anyways, back to speculating on release date!
+1 !!!!
1
Share
Old 24th May 2014
  #1457
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
C'mon Steve.. Give us a release date..(and/or beta)
Old 24th May 2014
  #1458
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
C'mon Steve.. Give us a release date..(and/or beta)
If you haven't noticed the last few times he's given estimated release dates people got angry. Even though they were just estimated times, not firm.
1
Share
Old 24th May 2014
  #1459
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
If you haven't noticed the last few times he's given estimated release dates people got angry. Even though they were just estimated times, not firm.
I'm not that people
Old 25th May 2014
  #1460
I think this post it's going insane, it will be released when it's ready and more we cry it's not going to come faster, while ....




Old 26th May 2014
  #1461
Here for the gear
 

Steven, may I trouble you for a quick status update? The suspense is killing me.
Old 26th May 2014
  #1462
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resoded View Post
Steven, may I trouble you for a quick status update? The suspense is killing me.
No need for that. You saw the previous post. The match is over, Real Madrid won.
1
Share
Old 26th May 2014
  #1463
Gear Head
 
MelonJack's Avatar
 

If i see Leevi post - don't bother. Pointless flood in this thread is annoying.
1
Share
Old 26th May 2014
  #1464
Lives for gear
 
kaboom75's Avatar
He said a few weeks, two weeks ago. So he may be still on track with a September release he doesn't know what bugs maybe uncovered or how long they take to fix.
Old 26th May 2014
  #1465
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonJack View Post
If i see Leevi post - don't bother. Pointless flood in this thread is annoying.
I love you too MelonJack, even though Russia won yesterday

But for the previous poster, I can see Steven having "better" things to do than post here when considering what day it is. Im also sure that he will inform when there has been more development

I feel that almost everything has been said at this point. It feels like it is calm before the storm. We are waiting Steven to release the Kraken(Not to be confused with Slate Dragon)
Old 27th May 2014
  #1466
Gear Maniac
 

Some really do come here to find useful bits/posts of meaningful input, information and even progress of a product such as the VMR but too many clownish posts make it so hard to get to those substantial or interesting postings and reflections.
There are a few contributors on gearslutz with 500+ posts and something worth to say/share/suggest... but you can count them on one or two hands. Thus, why not keep pure nonsensical contributions and chattiness just a wee bit down and use pm for this more often. It would make Gearslutz a much better place for gear sluts, developers and musicians alike. Thanks.

regards and no offense meant
4
Share
Old 27th May 2014
  #1467
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Some really do come here to find useful bits/posts of meaningful input and information on a product such as the vmr and even its progress but too many clownish posts make it so hard to get to those substantial or interesting postings and reflections.
As other folks have mentioned before, this tends to happen on Slate threads when the release dates are constantly delayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
There are a few contributors on gearslutz with 500+ posts and something to say/share... but you can count them on one hand.
I must have lower standards because I cant really remember anybody here who would not have something interesting/valid to say, even thought I might totally disagree with him/her.
Old 27th May 2014
  #1468
Gear Guru
Without humor and "chattiness", it'd be like a dentist's waiting room......WTF! That's why I read the thread if there's no product to discuss........!
1
Share
Old 27th May 2014
  #1469
Lives for gear
 
Midnight Oil Audio's Avatar
 

I have heard a few new great mixes by pure in-the-box guys these last few weeks. Point being, you don't NEED VMR to make a great mix. Will it be a great tool? Probably, judging by Slate's track record. Is not having it the one thing that's holding you back from a killer mix TODAY? Nope. It'll be out when it's out, until then, have fun with what you've got.
2
Share
Old 27th May 2014
  #1470
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyneBoxx View Post
I have heard a few new great mixes by pure in-the-box guys these last few weeks. Point being, you don't NEED VMR to make a great mix. Will it be a great tool? Probably, judging by Slate's track record. Is not having it the one thing that's holding you back from a killer mix TODAY? Nope. It'll be out when it's out, until then, have fun with what you've got.
Blasphemy! I've been ignoring phone calls from Jimmy Iovine because of this delayed plugin. I told Jimmy the mix would be done once the VMR plugin is released. That was a few weeks ago. He screamed at me but I told him it'd be worth it. And it will...don't make Jimmy upset at me again, Mr. Slate.



[Editor's Note: This story is completely fabricated to relieve the boredom as we await the dentist.]
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump