The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 9th May 2014
  #1291
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Just wanted to mention that Steven did say "8 weeks or so." (emphasis mine.)
Imlogged said that last week Steven talked about months which was not the case. If we go back some pages in this thread we can see that what Steven mentioned(8 weeks) was said weeks ago.
Old 9th May 2014
  #1292
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Nice.... Hey Eric, we need to bum rush Steven's studio.
Let us know when you have some A/B tests going on.

Thanks for the info,

Marc
I am for sure down for that. Maybe i can talk Tony S into it if he has time since his room is like a microscope. What I'd like to do is to shoot out all of these 1073 emulations against the real thing. I would imagine between the 2 of us we pretty much have them all. To make it more interesting we can also shoot out your 1073's to the ones that i use...all in the name of science and gearsluttiness

ej
Old 9th May 2014
  #1293
Lives for gear
 
imloggedin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
EDIT: whoa, that is so weird. I just noticed that 'imloggedin' and I have the exact same number of gearslutz posts as of this writing. 1178. What are the chances of that...
Too bad it wasnt 1176
Old 9th May 2014
  #1294
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Just wanted to mention that Steven did say "8 weeks or so." (emphasis mine.) I think Slate Digital makes some of the finest plugins I've ever heard, so this is not meant as a complaint, but their ability to estimate time 'til release is, how shall we say, less than exceptional.

Again, not slagging them off, I just hope there won't be an uprising of anger on these boards if they miss the "8 week" timeline. It could happen.
They're right on Slate schedule. Announce a product in the fall/winter, anticipate a January/February release date and then actually release it in May/June. It happened with VTM, again with VBC and again with VMR. :-)
2
Share
Old 9th May 2014
  #1295
Lives for gear
 
theothermarkwilliams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
They're right on Slate schedule. Announce a product in the fall/winter, anticipate a January/February release date and then actually release it in May/June. It happened with VTM, again with VBC and again with VMR. :-)
I know, I hope you're right on this one.
Old 9th May 2014
  #1296
Lives for gear
 
theothermarkwilliams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
Too bad it wasnt 1176
And yet, perhaps 1178 was even more appropriate: the "stereo" version of an 1176.
Old 9th May 2014
  #1297
Lives for gear
 
theothermarkwilliams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Imlogged said that last week Steven talked about months which was not the case. If we go back some pages in this thread we can see that what Steven mentioned(8 weeks) was said weeks ago.
Yeah, I think it was three weeks ago that Steven said "8 weeks or so". So hopefully we'll be seeing the VMR in 5 weeks or so at this point.
Old 9th May 2014
  #1298
Lives for gear
 
Glamdring's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post
At first I couldn't understand why you didn't put both the lpf and hpf on the SSL eq. Now I can't understand why both the lpf and hpf aren't on a seperate rack...

I usually have it like this filter/eq/dynamics so no worries. But if I wanted it like this filter/dynamics/eq. I would have to load up one SSL EQ just for the hpf then the compressor and then the eq again. Would be better to have seperate filter modules for both and not just for the lpf... or is it just me?
This...

I understand Steven's idea of having a separate filters module with lots of options etc, this is a good idea. But it still doesn't make sense not having a LPF on the SSL. First thing I do on every track is adjust these two filters. So every time I'll have to load up an extra module in the VMR to get a LPF...not exactly the end of the world but doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The whole point of the SSL eq is everything you need (filter and eq etc) is there in one place. Right?
2
Share
Old 9th May 2014
  #1299
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

When the new LPF module is out, load it after the fg-s eq as default, and then you'll realize that it's way more fun to experiment with several LPF rather than just one!

SS
1
Share
Old 9th May 2014
  #1300
Here for the gear
 
drumsareme's Avatar
 

LA2A Please

API 2500 Please

GATES/RETRO Sta Level Please

Thermionic Culture Phoenix Please

Empirical Labs Distressor Please

Undertone Audio VCC and VMR Please


1
Share
Old 10th May 2014
  #1301
Im getting the feeling the bonus free module might be a LPF...
Old 10th May 2014
  #1302
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsareme View Post
LA2A Please

API 2500 Please

GATES/RETRO Sta Level Please

Thermionic Culture Phoenix Please

Empirical Labs Distressor Please

Undertone Audio VCC and VMR Please


The FG-401 can cover some very Distressory type of tones being that it has a VCA design and has a transformer that when engaged, will add some 2nd and 3rd harmonic like the Distressor can. But it's really its own beast, and the "circuit 2" is really gorgeous and smooth and yet, still quite vibey.

We definitely have some of the others you mentioned on the list as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Im getting the feeling the bonus free module might be a LPF...
Nope. I think it's a really cool module. I'll give this hint.. I mastered a few songs for a band and then a month later I used this secret 5th module on their master and sent it to them to see if they dug it. Well.. they made me remaster all the other tunes using the effect!

Cheers,
Steven
1
Share
Old 10th May 2014
  #1303
Lives for gear
 
kj.metissage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Nope. I think it's a really cool module. I'll give this hint.. I mastered a few songs for a band and then a month later I used this secret 5th module on their master and sent it to them to see if they dug it. Well.. they made me remaster all the other tunes using the effect!

Cheers,
Steven
Some sort of harmonic enhancer, like the SSL X-Saturator maybe ?

That said, please don't forget the FG-Q, or "VBE (Virtual Bus Equalizers)" next.

I'm patiently waiting to hear your take, with Fabrice "voodoo coding" on mastering equalizers.
Old 10th May 2014
  #1304
Gear Addict
 
chrisjones's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
When the new LPF module is out, load it after the fg-s eq as default, and then you'll realize that it's way more fun to experiment with several LPF rather than just one!

SS
Isn't it fun to experiment with hpf?

In my previous post(don't know if you read it) I ment... wouldn't it be more versitale to have a seperate filter rack with both lpf and hpf? Me myself often eq into compression, but at the same time most of my friends eq after compression, but will have a hpf before the compression.
So if someone wants to hpf and lpf first in the chain, they'll have to load up one fg-s eq for the hpf and then the filter module for the lpf, then the vca compressor and then the fg-s eq again.

Like I said at first I was skeptical about not having both lpf and hpf in the fg-s eq module. But after some thinking I don't want any filters in the fg-s eq module.
Old 10th May 2014
  #1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Nope. I think it's a really cool module. I'll give this hint.. I mastered a few songs for a band and then a month later I used this secret 5th module on their master and sent it to them to see if they dug it. Well.. they made me remaster all the other tunes using the effect!

Cheers,
Steven
must be that virtual pensado plugin
3
Share
Old 10th May 2014
  #1306
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
The FG-401 can cover some very Distressory type of tones being that it has a VCA design and has a transformer that when engaged, will add some 2nd and 3rd harmonic like the Distressor can. But it's really its own beast, and the "circuit 2" is really gorgeous and smooth and yet, still quite vibey.

We definitely have some of the others you mentioned on the list as well!



Nope. I think it's a really cool module. I'll give this hint.. I mastered a few songs for a band and then a month later I used this secret 5th module on their master and sent it to them to see if they dug it. Well.. they made me remaster all the other tunes using the effect!

Cheers,
Steven
Haha Steven that's not a hint, that's just another way of saying how awesome the secret module will be!
Old 10th May 2014
  #1307
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Haha Steven that's not a hint, that's just another way of saying how awesome the secret module will be!
It's one of the VBC modules. Right? If I'm right, I get it free..lol
Old 10th May 2014
  #1308
Gear Maniac
 
BearOnGuitar's Avatar
 

Will VMR have a single module featuring both HPF and LPF or separate modules for each?
Old 10th May 2014
  #1309
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
It's one of the VBC modules. Right? If I'm right, I get it free..lol
Hmmm, I don't know man, I don't think so lol... only because it seems that the VMR rack itself is free and the secret module comes with it. correct me if I'm wrong Steven
Old 10th May 2014
  #1310
Gear Nut
 

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to the Slate plugins (have been reading some great reviews and am very interested in joining up!) and was hoping maybe you you guys could answer a few questions I have concerning iLok. I'm thinking about buying VMR if it turns out to be as game changing as is being suggested here (and then the others VTM/VBC.. to cover all my tracking/mix/mastering needs), but what I have yet to wrap my head around is the whole iLok situation. I've never used one, I'm not opposed to a dongle or whatever so long as it doesn't impede my workflow, but for a noob it is just a wee bit confusing, not to mention if a purchase involves multiple vendors, isn't all-in-one ready to go, slightly off-putting. Anyway.

I'm assuming this is an additional purchase - how much is it? Where do I get one (deals)? Do I need more than one? Which do I need for the Slate VSTs - 1, 2, both or? Is it just a small USB drive that contains the software license(s) or am I missing something? Can it be used on multiple PC's (desktop/laptop XP 32 and WIN 7 64)? Does iLok require my DAWs be online (none of mine are)?

Sorry for all the questions, not trying to derail the thread or anything, but there it is. Hopefully you guys can answer some of these questions for me. Thanks
Old 10th May 2014
  #1311
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFB View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to the Slate plugins (have been reading some great reviews and am very interested in joining up!) and was hoping maybe you you guys could answer a few questions I have concerning iLok. I'm thinking about buying VMR if it turns out to be as game changing as is being suggested here (and then the others VTM/VBC.. to cover all my tracking/mix/mastering needs), but what I have yet to wrap my head around is the whole iLok situation. I've never used one, I'm not opposed to a dongle or whatever so long as it doesn't impede my workflow, but for a noob it is just a wee bit confusing, not to mention if a purchase involves multiple vendors, isn't all-in-one ready to go, slightly off-putting. Anyway.

I'm assuming this is an additional purchase - how much is it? Where do I get one (deals)? Do I need more than one? Which do I need for the Slate VSTs - 1, 2, both or? Is it just a small USB drive that contains the software license(s) or am I missing something? Can it be used on multiple PC's (desktop/laptop XP 32 and WIN 7 64)? Does iLok require my DAWs be online (none of mine are)?

Sorry for all the questions, not trying to derail the thread or anything, but there it is. Hopefully you guys can answer some of these questions for me. Thanks
I'm pretty sure if you order directly from Slate they throw in a free iLok. At least, that's how I got mine.
2
Share
Old 10th May 2014
  #1312
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Steven, now when we will see this 1073 on steroids, does it mean that we won't see the 1081 modeled?
Old 10th May 2014
  #1313
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFB View Post
I'm assuming this is an additional purchase - how much is it? Where do I get one (deals)? Do I need more than one? Which do I need for the Slate VSTs - 1, 2, both or? Is it just a small USB drive that contains the software license(s) or am I missing something? Can it be used on multiple PC's (desktop/laptop XP 32 and WIN 7 64)? Does iLok require my DAWs be online (none of mine are)?

Sorry for all the questions, not trying to derail the thread or anything, but there it is. Hopefully you guys can answer some of these questions for me. Thanks
The iLok looks like a USB thumb/flash drive. You install the iLok drivers then put it in, your computer detects it and that's it as far as hardware installation. Then you use the iLok License Manager, click Sign In, click Create New Account. Make an account then that's the email address/username you use when demoing iLok plugins.

You only need one iLok. It holds a ton of licenses. Once your iLok has a license you don't need to be online to use the plugins. You can use a separate computer that's connected to the internet to procure iLok licenses and then take it to a recording/mixing computer that isn't hooked to the internet if you want. You can take it to any computer you want...it makes inputting serial numbers over and over again a thing of the past.

The iLok web site explains things pretty well. You can buy one at music shops or Slate Digital often gives them away with their software. That's how I got my iLok 2...I bought my original blue iLok (generation 1) from Musicians Friend.
1
Share
Old 10th May 2014
  #1314
Gear Addict
 
adogg4629's Avatar
 

Hi Steven. I know that this has been asked before, but I haven't heard an answer from you. I understand that this VMR thing is your new platform from where you will launch your new plugins. Do you have plans in the future to make the VMR portion invisible, so I can use the modules like they were a regular insert? You can hem and haw all might, but I just don't like the workflow demonstrated with this. I've used these sorts of pod type workflows before where I can add multiple plugins to a single plugin and I can't work that way. Especially when I have hundreds of tracks and busses that I have to keep track of. I need to see at a glance what plugins are inserted onto what tracks.

Also, if you have an instance of VMR running with multiple compressors in Pro Tools 11, which one will report to the gain reduction meter? Or does that take an aggregate of the gain reduced?

Thanks
1
Share
Old 10th May 2014
  #1315
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
The iLok looks like a USB thumb/flash drive. You install the iLok drivers then put it in, your computer detects it and that's it as far as hardware installation. Then you use the iLok License Manager, click Sign In, click Create New Account. Make an account then that's the email address/username you use when demoing iLok plugins.

You only need one iLok. It holds a ton of licenses. Once your iLok has a license you don't need to be online to use the plugins. You can use a separate computer that's connected to the internet to procure iLok licenses and then take it to a recording/mixing computer that isn't hooked to the internet if you want. You can take it to any computer you want...it makes inputting serial numbers over and over again a thing of the past.

The iLok web site explains things pretty well. You can buy one at music shops or Slate Digital often gives them away with their software. That's how I got my iLok 2...I bought my original blue iLok (generation 1) from Musicians Friend.
Hey thanks for the run down! It seems like an easy enough process to tackle. Now I just need to see if Slate has/can do me a similar deal, as I would much prefer to buy everything at the same time from one source.

BTW if I am to invest in this, what other iLok based VST's would be worth looking into (synths, processing etc.), any hot tip recommendations?
Old 10th May 2014
  #1316
Lives for gear
 
superwack's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
Hi Steven. I know that this has been asked before, but I haven't heard an answer from you. I understand that this VMR thing is your new platform from where you will launch your new plugins. Do you have plans in the future to make the VMR portion invisible, so I can use the modules like they were a regular insert? You can hem and haw all might, but I just don't like the workflow demonstrated with this. I've used these sorts of pod type workflows before where I can add multiple plugins to a single plugin and I can't work that way. Especially when I have hundreds of tracks and busses that I have to keep track of. I need to see at a glance what plugins are inserted onto what tracks.

Also, if you have an instance of VMR running with multiple compressors in Pro Tools 11, which one will report to the gain reduction meter? Or does that take an aggregate of the gain reduced?

Thanks
GREAT question about the GR metering in PT11... one of my favorite things about it. Steven?
1
Share
Old 10th May 2014
  #1317
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFB View Post
Hey thanks for the run down! It seems like an easy enough process to tackle. Now I just need to see if Slate has/can do me a similar deal, as I would much prefer to buy everything at the same time from one source.

BTW if I am to invest in this, what other iLok based VST's would be worth looking into (synths, processing etc.), any hot tip recommendations?
Slate's VBC/VTM/VCC bundle has an iLok 2 included version. It's not free but it is half the price of one from Musicians Friend, including shipping.

You're welcome. I'm a big fan of SoundToys, Softube and Exponential Audio. I don't work with synths so I can't make any recommendations there.
1
Share
Old 10th May 2014
  #1318
Lives for gear
 
kaboom75's Avatar
ilok 2 plugins that are a must have on synths are:-

Slate Digital
- Cover the effects my other favourite Devs don't cover and sound as good. Great for hiding that digital DAW sound and the compressors and FG-X are essential tools for producing. If you research these guys look up Fabrice Gabriel. Steve is the James Bond villan and Fabrice is the science/ hacker guy under the mountain creating the weapon for him very well respected guy in DSP programming right now.

Soundtoys - The great thing about soundtoys is the sound is perfect and they are very fun and creative to use they are all based on reversed engineered famous analogue and digital hardware but with modern touches to options and simplified control without loosing the versatility. On synths you can use them to craft the sound into some other sound as well as adding delays. Soundtoys have the same approach as Slate Digital they spend around a year on one plugin and no idiot in a suit telling them how long they can spend on one plugin. These guys programed the famous Eventide H3000.

Expotential Audio is one guy his company name is new and probably not known to many but worked in the past for lexicon he's had a big career in reverb algos . His reverbs are the best right now.


Eventide Blackhole reverb the only Eventide plugin I like and it requires an ilok2. Wack it on a u-he synth and forget where you are in the universe. I like other non ilok reverbs too but Blackhole is my fave one for huge reverbs with long tails.
1
Share
Old 10th May 2014
  #1319
Gear Nut
 

Nice one guys! I will check all of these out over the weekend. Subscribed to the thread and will check out any more suggestions.... thank you in advance!
Old 10th May 2014
  #1320
Here for the gear
 

Steven - I don't suppose you'll be looking at modelling a 1176 AE (blue stripe) with the 2:1 ratio at some point in the future? I've noticed mix engineers like Spike Stent swear by that unit and ratio setting for vocals on every mix they do.

I find it invaluable myself as it just gets the vocal to 'sit' in a track every time and although UAD have an emulation would love to hear what you and Fabrice could do with it.
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump