The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 9th May 2014
So, five slate quality (including free one) for $149? Dont think I even need to demo. I wonder if jjr or plug dis will have discount. That would bring down to like $135
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Well I'm certainly going to buy this. Can't wait to demo it.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
There will be RTAS support included as well. I'm very near the point where I will not only post samples, but I'll post A/B's verse the hardware too.

Also, it should be noted that the Intel processor in the expensive Mac or PC that you bought is EXTREMELY powerful. I mean like, REALLY powerful. Surely more so than old DSP chip technology found on expensive accelerator cards. Thats why process intensive plugins will be very limited on DSP cards, but with the VMR, I can run 100 FG-N modules without breaking a sweat.

Ok, let's cut the BS.. We all know what I'm referring to, and let me say this: I have the utmost respect for any company in this business including UA, Waves, Softube, IK, etc and mean no disrespect... but in this rather challenging economic climate for audio engineers, it is important for me to show the utmost respect for your wallets and therefore, these matters deserve to be discussed openly.

I nearly got stoned to death by my own company for wanting to charge $149 intro price for all four of these processors, but judging by the reaction thus far, it appears to be the right decision.

Cheers,
Steven
Thank you for rtas support Steven. Honestly you guys do make really good stuff. Heaven knows that i don't really need anymore plugins but at that price point it is doubtful that I will be able to resist....

damn you

ej
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, let's cut the BS.. We all know what I'm referring to, and let me say this: I have the utmost respect for any company in this business including UA, Waves, Softube, IK, etc and mean no disrespect... but in this rather challenging economic climate for audio engineers, it is important for me to show the utmost respect for your wallets and therefore, these matters deserve to be discussed openly.

I nearly got stoned to death by my own company for wanting to charge $149 intro price for all four of these processors, but judging by the reaction thus far, it appears to be the right decision.

Cheers,
Steven
Thanks man! If VMR is as good/better than your current plugin offerings then $149 will be a steal. The biggest thing that held me back from buying IK's Neve EQs was price, latency and CPU usage. The single mid-band on their EQ 73 also was a little annoying. If I can get equal or better quality with your FG-N module, less CPU, zero latency and I'm not limited to the hardware frequency selections it's like I'm getting 3 other plugins for free! Plus the truly free one...awesome.
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Surely more so than old DSP chip technology found on expensive accelerator cards. Thats why process intensive plugins will be very limited on DSP cards, but with the VMR, I can run 100 FG-N modules without breaking a sweat.
Slate , Are your sales so slow you have to insult a competitor on the day of their new product announcement ?

Everytime I think you can't possibly stoop any lower , your mouth opens

There's something to be said for running a business in a professional manner ,
If you're gonna call yourself a CEO , please try behaving like one..
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackgear View Post
Slate , Are your sales so slow you have to insult a competitor on the day of their new product announcement ?

Relax princess, he was just stating the truth
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I like honesty from companies. Corporate speak drives be insane!
Old 9th May 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I just will never understand why some people have such odd emotional reactions like this one on Gearslutz.

I was merely stating a fact, and an important one, that differentiates what we do from our competitors. I'd be a really stupid CEO to NOT point these things out. It's a major issue, and if I was in your shoes, one that I would want blatantly revealed before spending my hard earned money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Mercury View Post
Relax princess, he was just stating the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
I like honesty from companies. Corporate speak drives be insane!
Exactly.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

I know it's not the subject here, but as the newsletter speaks of FG-X 2.0 and VCC 2.0, I'd like to ask you Steven, if "2.0" means something like "new algos, new GUI" or else, instead of "just AAX" compatibility.
Old 9th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
I know it's not the subject here, but as the newsletter speaks of FG-X 2.0 and VCC 2.0, I'd like to ask you Steven, if "2.0" means something like "new algos, new GUI" or else, instead of "just AAX" compatibility.
2.0 means new algos, new features, new GUI, new AAX. The only thing not new is the fact that they are FREE upgrades for all current users.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 9th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I was merely stating a fact, and an important one, that differentiates what we do from our competitors. I'd be a really stupid CEO to NOT point these things out.

Cheers,
Steven
From a your companies profit standpoint , yes
From a ethical standpoint , NO
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

What news letter about VCC I only got the one about VMR oh never mind found it at the bottom doh. Duck & cover slate.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I rolled my eyes when I saw the Slate email right after the UAD email but none of this is disrespectful.

You cut your quote off right before he says he has the utmost respect for these other companies. Now that's hacky.

As for the issue, there's no doubt Slate is a cheaper way to go. By a long shot.

The reason so many people, myself included, are UAD users has never been the affordability. It's the sound.

And with an Apollo, you get HD/TDM type performance in a native rig. And the Unison thing brigs these emu's to a whole different level. No DAW latency, actual physical manipulation of the HW, etc.

But I bet I buy VMR even if I prefer/buy the new UAD 1073. $149 for that suite of plugins is a pittance.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:

Pointing out potential shortcomings in your competitors' service/product isn't insult, it's business.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
2.0 means new algos, new features, new GUI, new AAX. The only thing not new is the fact that they are FREE upgrades for all current users.

Cheers,
Steven
Wow, that's a gift. Sometimes I wondering how you can make money with that policy .

Quote:
I'm glad we have not the same ethics.

And, he did not insult them (UA), he pointed the truth. And I speak as a UAD-2 owner...
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom75 View Post
What news letter about VCC I only got the one about VMR. Duck & cover slate.
It was in the same one.

Here :
Quote:
Notes from Steven:
- As part of our team works hard to complete the VMR, we have another dedicated team working on FG-X 2.0 and VCC 2.0 for AAX. We will have updated announcements about this soon.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks looking forward to all this good stuff.
Old 9th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Hey Steven, will the new FG-X 2.0 be able to run with the old version of FG-X?
Just in case we like the old version better as I still think it's the best Limiter plugin!

Thanks,

Marc
Old 9th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hey Steven, will the new FG-X 2.0 be able to run with the old version of FG-X?
Just in case we like the old version better as I still think it's the best Limiter plugin!

Thanks,

Marc
Hi Marc, thanks for the nice words! The FG-X 2.0 will have a 'classic' mode that is EXACTLY the same as the current version, since the original algo has quite a fanbase

Cheers,
Steven
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear
Is this a pre-order price? Where do you pre-order?
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Im so glad Steven is willing to put his neck on the chopping block like he does, he calls a spade a spade, im voting with my wallet and will buy this plugin on release day. I wont even demo it. All other slate products have far exceeded my expectations and they haven't let me down yet.
Don't let the haters get to you Steven, 99% of us love what you are doing
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Surely more so than old DSP chip technology found on expensive accelerator cards...
This part does really remind me of an infomercial for a new kind of blender or something. Behind this quote should be a really bummed looking ITB mix engineer shaking his head and throwing up his hands at his old, creaky, slow DSP chips...bleccckkhh!
Old 9th May 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Marc, thanks for the nice words! The FG-X 2.0 will have a 'classic' mode that is EXACTLY the same as the current version, since the original algo has quite a fanbase

Cheers,
Steven
Ahhhh, thanks Steven. So I guess my question would be, with the plugin running old and newer code, will that make the plugin more CPU heavy?
FG-X is already knee kneeling already but 2 types of code in one sounds like a heavy ass plugin... Lol

Thanks,

Marc
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
So this means that there will also be a 64 bit au version and hopeful no more blacked out gui bugs? I've had it for a while but the bugs were killing me so i stopped using it although i did like the sound of it. Hopefully less cpu hit as well

ej

whatup Mark???!!!
Old 9th May 2014
Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Good god, this is great news. Cannot wait.

I'm a little confused about the VMR implementation of VCC that people are referring to, as I haven't seen anything about this in the promos yet. Is a VCC module coming a launch? Obviously this is not the much rumored fifth module, so is it coming down the road, and has is been confirmed officially from Slate?

Thanks!! And I can't wait to get my hands on this, and get VCC back in my life!!!
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Shame the SSL does not have a low-pass filter - bit of an omission IMO. One of my favorite uses for SSL EQ is a high shelf on electric guitars, and usually this in conjunction with a low-pass at 12-15k or so makes for a much nicer sound.

Generally i'm finding low-pass filters are a must for a pleasant ITB mixing

Great price though - looking forward to trying out!
Old 9th May 2014
Never mind, finally watched the intro video (normally I only surf the forums while my wife is sleeping, so I rarely watch the videos and just read instead) and now I see the VCC info. God I really can't wait. I'm stoked to see what the surprise 5th module is going to be, and I also hope that the follow up modules come sooner rather than later. Weren't there supposed to be some new VCC emulations that never came to pass?
Old 9th May 2014
Not complaining, more so just curious. I'm glad the focus has gone into VBC and VMR, cause it seems like the new framework they've gotten into really holds a lot of promise for the future.
Old 9th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Ahhhh, thanks Steven. So I guess my question would be, with the plugin running old and newer code, will that make the plugin more CPU heavy?
FG-X is already knee kneeling already but 2 types of code in one sounds like a heavy ass plugin... Lol

Thanks,

Marc
Actually, FG-X 2.0 will have MASSIVELY Less CPU than the current version! You'll be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
So this means that there will also be a 64 bit au version and hopeful no more blacked out gui bugs? I've had it for a while but the bugs were killing me so i stopped using it although i did like the sound of it. Hopefully less cpu hit as well

ej

whatup Mark???!!!
Our new framework is rock solid and all previous bugs will be a thing of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
Shame the SSL does not have a low-pass filter - bit of an omission IMO. One of my favorite uses for SSL EQ is a high shelf on electric guitars, and usually this in conjunction with a low-pass at 12-15k or so makes for a much nicer sound.

Generally i'm finding low-pass filters are a must for a pleasant ITB mixing

Great price though - looking forward to trying out!
Agreed! That's why we are also working on a module with dedicated Lo Pass Filters. It'll have different curves, transformer options, and be really useful!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Companies exist to make a profit. Humanity benefits (usually) because of it. I know I am benefiting from Slate Digital software and my customers benefit from my usage of Slate software.

Like he said, he was pointing out the differences between his company and his competitors. In business you need to have a Unique Selling Point. The USPs for VMR are:

- Low CPU usage
- High quality/authentic to the hardware (many claim it, Slate actually does the A/Bing to hardware AND have even invited people to an in-person demo in the past)
- Zero latency
- Affordable
- No need for an expensive (overpriced) DSP card that isn't as powerful as modern processors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Steven Slate follows the Book Yourself Solid System to a T. Great product with a Unique Selling Proposition, great marketing and constantly reinventing itself for the better.

If Steven sold us bull sh*t (this goes against the BYS System) we'd call him out on it. His products make my mixes/masters sound better and that's not bull sh*t. If VMR sucks I'll be the first to come out and say it. But SD's reputation is on the line with every release and I doubt VMR will be a bad plugin.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search