The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
It might be possible that based on our previous products, we've earned peoples' trust. I hope it's the case, because we work pretty hard at this stuff

Cheers,
Steven
Batting 1000, and this is why I'm already fairly certain I'll be purchasing day one.
Old 17th October 2013
I wish Steven would film every response on this thread. I hear his voice every time I read a post of his hahaha.

Now let's get an FG-EL8x in that rack
Old 17th October 2013
Take my money.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
It might be possible that based on our previous products, we've earned peoples' trust. I hope it's the case, because we work pretty hard at this stuff

Cheers,
Steven
I don't doubt the quality of your products Steven, it's more about the inane expectations of some posters. Bitwig is the best DAW out there according to some, and Bitwig don't have a reputation to trade on apart from possible longer wait times than yourself

BTW that's tongue in check. The new product does look like it may be a winner. Best of luck with it.
Old 17th October 2013
no LPF Sadface
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Wait till you hear these comps. The timings provide an easily accessible tone palette and sound awesome!

Cheers,
Steven
I too think this is a big mistake! I mostly use FET compressors with medium-slow attack and a fast release on drums, to bring out punch and ring at the same time. While I don't doubt they will sound good, it will be a big limitation not to be able to tailor the timings for each track.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

I like TranscendingM's comment. I like Steven Slate. I like the reality distortion field that surrounds him when he pitches products (I wish he was the CEO of Avid). All that said, this product isn't for me. There are plug-ins that I like to work with that don't fit with this modular workflow though. Nice try Mr. Slate, but it's too much voodo for me.
Old 17th October 2013
Is this going to be like the 500 series where other developers can design for the VMR platform? There could be some big possibilities there.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

as cubase producer its not so bad too have a few plugins in 1 insert slot especially when we could integrate the vcc
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Are Sorknes View Post
I too think this is a big mistake! I mostly use FET compressors with medium-slow attack and a fast release on drums, to bring out punch and ring at the same time. While I don't doubt they will sound good, it will be a big limitation not to be able to tailor the timings for each track.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 17th October 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Are Sorknes View Post
I have great news. We have a timing preset that is exactly that, and I actually love that setting on vox too.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Slate VMR Virtual Mix Rack

3. 2. 1. Go!
http://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ka1LKtN3BHA
Old 17th October 2013
I want Slate Digital to make a DAW! Zero Latency...and I am sure he knows the features that we need!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
can you please share a release date and price for this Steven?

many thanks
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Hey Steven, will you be able to do the click option/alt drag to a new track and have the settings copied over like a single plugin? Or will you be able to link between tracks so the settings all adjust together? That would be really beneficial.

Thanks.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Carson View Post
no LPF Sadface
+1

Kind of huge ?

Last edited by Glamdring; 17th October 2013 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: sp.
Old 17th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
+1

Kind of huge ?
See post #46

Cheers,
Steven
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

i wonder more how it works : one rack , units and we route daw track in , so we make our own console ? like a 3rd party console ?
or just inserts in fx bin ....and usul plugin implentation ?
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
Steve can you better explain what you mean by saying zero latency?
what he said! kinda hard to guarantee zero latency when you don't know what system they will be hosted on....

maybe these things are just coded really efficiently. the only slate plugs that make my system hiccup a bit are FGX (32 bit bridge) and VTM (****load of excellent emulation). but VCC I can slap on all day long...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass-out View Post
as cubase producer its not so bad too have a few plugins in 1 insert slot especially when we could integrate the vcc
Sounds like you also need DDMF Metaplugin. (Not that I ever really find 6/8 slots - depending how you look at it - too few!)

I still don't get the whole closed-shop rack. I mean, I *love* some of the Slate stuff. The quality is always high. Hats off to Steven and Fabrice.

But they're not the only game in town and I want to use other great stuff from UA, Flux, U-he, Fabfilter, Sonnox, Brainworx, Eiosis, Cytomic, Nebula etc. And I want to pick and choose what to use each time I'm listening to a track.

I totally get 500 series. I use it a lot. But the whole point of this software thing is convenience, interoperability, and overcoming the limitations of hardware. All of which is why I pray you're gonna make the modules available as regular plugins, Steven. Like IK did with T Racks... Pleeeeease tell us you're gonna give us that option?

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Will my current 500 series work in this rack? ;-)
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

you're right, i almost never need more than 6 slots, but now I use the VCC so much, sometimes I am looking for just 1 more
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

So you'll release the mono VBC and it'll already make 3 more comps .
For my workflow I prefere to use the units separately than in the rack (same thing with VBC) but it's maybe cause of the CPU use?
Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 18th October 2013
Deleted User #196561
Trying to figure out where this fits in track insert order. Using Logic, my current order is as follows: 1. VTM 2. EQ 3. Compressor 3. Instrument 4. Reverb/delay 4. VCC

Assuming this thing will take the place of inserts 2 and 3?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup View Post

I still don't get the whole closed-shop rack. I mean, I *love* some of the Slate stuff. The quality is always high. Hats off to Steven and Fabrice.

But they're not the only game in town and I want to use other great stuff from UA, Flux, U-he, Fabfilter, Sonnox, Brainworx, Eiosis, Cytomic, Nebula etc. And I want to pick and choose what to use each time I'm listening to a track.

I totally get 500 series. I use it a lot. But the whole point of this software thing is convenience, interoperability, and overcoming the limitations of hardware. All of which is why I pray you're gonna make the modules available as regular plugins, Steven. Like IK did with T Racks... Pleeeeease tell us you're gonna give us that option?

Sent from my GT-I9300
My thoughts exactly. I mix in a DAW which allows me to have multiple GUI's open simultaneously, so the rack seems clunky and unnecessary.
Old 18th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by berge92 View Post
what he said! kinda hard to guarantee zero latency when you don't know what system they will be hosted on....

maybe these things are just coded really efficiently. the only slate plugs that make my system hiccup a bit are FGX (32 bit bridge) and VTM (****load of excellent emulation). but VCC I can slap on all day long...
Hi, there is no latency in the PLUGIN processing. On a 2010 Mac Pro I was able to record at 32 buffers with full VMR processing and not hear any audible latency. Pretty cool.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I see it as a a slate channel strip. Same as when I use ua neve channel strip or waves ssl channel strip. You can't insert other plugins into those channel strips. You can do before or after. With slate instead of having one slate channel strip you have a few slate-only options within that channel strip. With new ones to come.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I own and use many slate products everyday.
But I really hate this "marketing scheme" with no date or replys to when it will come out.
Just pumping the hype up..
Sales every three months and blablabla.

Give a fair price and be honest and clear with your customers.
Would anyone complain?
I doubt it.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
+1... have all the Slate plugs but HATE this kind of workflow (as I do with IK and other host/shells) I don't like how you can't see what's on the channel without going in to the "HOST" and don't like the inflexibility of not being able to insert other, in this case non-slate, plugs to the chain without multiple VRM instances... unless you WILL be able to use them stand-alone in which case I'll shut up heh

My 2 cents but I don't want to look up at my Channel Inserts and see something like
  1. VRM
  2. PRO-G
  3. VRM
  4. VTM
  5. VRM

I'd much rather it say (so I had some idea of what was going on)
  1. VCC
  2. FG-S
  3. PRO-G
  4. FG-116
  5. VTM
  6. FG-N

but I'm am looking forward to demo'ing it... early 2016?
Totally agree, I hope you will do like VBC, offer separate plugins too besides the rack.

Quote:
I think you mean the reverse. The FG-S has a high pass filter.

As for low pass filters, we're gonna make a module that is dedicated to that, and will have several curves/models so you can easily audition what is best for your particular track... Or use several at once!

Cheers,
Steven
Way to go Steven !!!

Quote:
So do I. And an FG-1A.

Cheers,
Steven
Even better, if you can model a 550B equalizer and 2500 compressor, with Slate/Gabriel twists if needed, that would be perfect !
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
I see it as a a slate channel strip. Same as when I use ua neve channel strip or waves ssl channel strip. You can't insert other plugins into those channel strips. You can do before or after. With slate instead of having one slate channel strip you have a few slate-only options within that channel strip. With new ones to come.
This is a good way to think about it. I will say, however, that I can't recall ever using a channel strip for a "piece of it" like if I don't want to use the 88RS as a channel strip, I don't just insert it as a compressor and use another eq on another slot... maybe I should but I'm not sure it's ever occurred to me to do so. Still hate the fact it'll just say VRM on the send but, again, maybe that's me - it also drives me crazy every time I see "UBK-1 AAX" - I always think WHO CARES THAT IT'S AAX?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
Even better, if you can model a 550B equalizer and 2500 compressor, with Slate/Gabriel twists if needed, that would be perfect !
Agree.. but add the 550B to the VRM and the 2500 to VBC!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search