The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Instead of doing all buttons in on the 116, we've got a dedicated module planned to do SEVERAL different types of overlimiting distortion that has various flavors of that effect.
I'm a little surprised, and a bit disappointed, by this choice. The FET is clearly very inspired by a certain hardware unit, and that All buttons mode is a big part of what makes that thing so special. To not have it here, especially after all the waiting and promises that VMR is going to nail the sound of the hardware like no one else has, is a bit of a bummer.

If there's still time, I'd really want to see an All buttons in mode, and even combinations of buttons. Shouldn't have to pick up another module at some non-disclosed date (6th VCC console anyone?) for this kind of compression if it's such a true to life take on the popular FET compressor we know it's based on.

My vote would be: take the extra time now and add in the additional modes. It's already not hitting that January 2014 release date so need to rush it out and not include it. I'd gladly wait another few weeks if necessary.
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I'm a little surprised, and a bit disappointed, by this choice. The FET is clearly very inspired by a certain hardware unit, and that All buttons mode is a big part of what makes that thing so special. To not have it here, especially after all the waiting and promises that VMR is going to nail the sound of the hardware like no one else has, is a bit of a bummer.
+1 I would like to switch to and from all button mode while keeping all other settings without needing to load a different module. I wouldn't mind having the same all button mode included or just the other similar compression styles available in the additional model.
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

If there's still time, I'd really want to see an All buttons in mode, and even combinations of buttons. Shouldn't have to pick up another module at some non-disclosed date (6th VCC console anyone?) for this kind of compression if it's such a true to life take on the popular FET compressor we know it's based on.

My vote would be: take the extra time now and add in the additional modes. It's already not hitting that January 2014 release date so need to rush it out and not include it. I'd gladly wait another few weeks if necessary.
I understand your opinion but I still prefer the own module what Steven said. Also I would imagine it wouldn't take too long to arrive. Steven seems to be very serious about the VMR.
Old 25th April 2014
Here for the gear

Interested to see what kinds of overlimiting distortion the Slate 1176 will offer, but a bit bummed that there won't be an all-buttons-in option :(
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
+1
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Maniac

I was not interested in this At. All. Just like I wasn't in the VBC until two days ago.

After buying that, and my experiences with the rest of their stuff--I will now blindly buy anything Slate Digital makes sight unseen, including VMR just to have it. I know it will be high quality & change something for the better, somewhere in the mix process.
Old 25th April 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions on the GUI!

To export the 3D GUI again will take a LOT of time and money, it's quite complex to do actually. I wouldn't want to add any massive delays to the VMR product as it is delayed enough! But perhaps in the future, anything is possible.

Oh that silly 'all buttons' mode. It's so much fun on the right type of source material! But it's also so one dimensional to have it be just like it is on the hardware. We're making a module that will come out at a later time with many types of overlimiting distortion with customizable transformer coloring and even a timing knob to help manipulate the 'pump'. I think it's gonna be awesome. The 116 will nail all of your FET duties.. and I mean NAIL. It is such a precise model and was probably one of the hardest things we've done since VTM. That puppy has several release constants and some very funky harmonics and nonlinearities!! And then soon, you'll have the distortion pump module of your dreams doing its own thing.

The VMR platform is gonna amaze you guys, I'm so excited about it! And I'm even more excited about how efficiently our team will be able to deliver more modules for it, at prices that will make you go YEYYY! instead of UGGG!!!.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th April 2014
The new screen shots look pretty cool. I kind of wish there was a HP and LP filter for the "SSL" eq though. I think others have mentioned this. Of course, my Satson plug has some nice filters, so I'll probably use them in front of this.
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearOnGuitar View Post
Thanks jalcide. Looking at it the FG-N text could even be nudged a tiny bit more to the left resulting in even more space between those elements. Let's see how Steven and the others feel about those suggestions.
Yes, ever so slightly -- great point. Then it would enhance three things: be more center aligned with the center of the knobs below; create, as you say, more space away from the high-shelf identifier (in your mockup); still echo / honor the left-margin spacing created on the right side by the knob and its related graphics.

Moot at this point and no biggie, they still look amazing.

The sound is everything. :-)

It's interesting though, visual creatures that we are. Those screens shots have got me excited to hear 'em in action.
Old 25th April 2014

There is a great HP on the FG-S and FG-N, and again, we have plans for a dedicated LP filter module that has several curves and transformer options.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th April 2014
Brb
Gear Addict

Hey slate you should throw a vmr release party in Los Angeles and we can all pop bottles. I'm down
Old 25th April 2014
Quote:
There is a great HP on the FG-S and FG-N, and again, we have plans for a dedicated LP filter module that has several curves and transformer options.

Cheers,
Steven
Oops, yep, I see the HP filter now on the FG-S, I guess I glanced at it too fast, and the black knob color made my think it was the low eq band. Cool, thanks for the reply Steven.
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Head

By the way, Steven, what about De-Esser? Fabrice E2 was the best on market imho. Shall we wait for something from your collaboration?)
Old 26th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonJack View Post
By the way, Steven, what about De-Esser? Fabrice E2 was the best on market imho. Shall we wait for something from your collaboration?)
I tried like mad to buy that Eiosis DeEsser. Couldn't get an email response. Been a couple years, still haven't heard back.

If you're looking for a SW DeEsser, check out FabFilter ProDS. It's filthy.

edit: and if you buy it RIGHT NOW, it's heavily discounted (today's the last day of their 10-year anniversary sale)
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions on the GUI!

To export the 3D GUI again will take a LOT of time and money, it's quite complex to do actually. I wouldn't want to add any massive delays to the VMR product as it is delayed enough! But perhaps in the future, anything is possible.
I understand. Thanks for considering my suggestions for the future
Old 26th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb View Post
Hey slate you should throw a vmr release party in Los Angeles and we can all pop bottles. I'm down
I'd be there!
Old 26th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand. Thanks for considering my suggestions for the future
My God ! I searched and I saw that it's like 3000€/4000$ for designing interfaces like the VMR one.

And digging deeper, I saw it can take a whole day for one modern computer to render it all.

Now I understand why it can't be changed so easily...
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
My God ! I searched and I saw that it's like 3000€/4000$ for designing interfaces like the VMR one.

And digging deeper, I saw it can take a whole day for one modern computer to render it all.

Now I understand why it can't be changed so easily...
I'm still hoping that we'll eventually see those changes in those two GUI models. I know most people would tell me I shouldn't care too much about the GUIs but there's something inspiring in looking at a nicely done GUI with a great control layout while tweaking sounds. I also do some basic work in Photoshop occasionally and things like off center elements just really catch my attention.

Maybe I can do something to convince another 10 or so people to purchase the VMR when it's released who otherwise wouldn't have bought it, in order to support the suggestions about the GUIs that I made. I could compare the FG-116 and FG-S to a hardware 1176 (not sure which revision) and an SSL X-Rack E Series EQ module using acoustic guitar and female vocals.
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Not to be disrespectful or change the subject but my god Softubes GUIs are the most realistic renderings I've ever seen
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R View Post
Not to be disrespectful or change the subject but my god Softubes GUIs are the most realistic renderings I've ever seen
And to pull this thread further a step aside I like, without irony, the approach to Airwindows plugins. The downside is that they exist only in audio units.
Old 26th April 2014
Brb
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Eriksson View Post
And to pull this thread further a step aside I like, without irony, the approach to Airwindows plugins. The downside is that they exist only in audio units.
LOL
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R View Post
I agree completely. Unfortunately the TSAR-1 is the only Softube plugin I like. Still I get the impulse to purchase the CL-1B every time I see the GUI.
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Eriksson View Post
A great sounding plugin without a GUI or an ugly GUI is like a...nevermind. I think it may be against the rules and there are some female engineers here. So I'll just say like an ugly car with a high horse power/torque motor...yeah...that should be OK with the mods to say. ;-)
Old 28th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I agree completely. Unfortunately the TSAR-1 is the only Softube plugin I like. Still I get the impulse to purchase the CL-1B every time I see the GUI.
rent a CL1B and compare it to the plugIn, maybe you'll be surprised (in a good way)

btw softubes CL1B was one of the very first plugins with component modelling.
Old 28th April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
A great sounding plugin without a GUI or an ugly GUI is like a...nevermind. I think it may be against the rules and there are some female engineers here. So I'll just say like an ugly car with a high horse power/torque motor...yeah...that should be OK with the mods to say. ;-)
MetricHalo is UGLY, and sounds awesome
Old 28th April 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Will there be a mono and stereo version?
The VBC came as just a stereo and it's great to have but, sucks when you need a mono instance.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

Steven, will there be a "transient designer" kind of unit?
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

Why not do an 1084 and cover all bases?

Why not include the all buttons in mode? Oh yea we can buy another module

Hmmm
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Why not do an 1084 and cover all bases?

Why not include the all buttons in mode? Oh yea we can buy another module

Hmmm
Yeah, the lack of all buttons in = huge dissappointment. I'll just carry on and continue to use my IK Black 76 then. No skin off this engineer's back.
Old 28th April 2014

I think when you hear the authenticity of the FG-116 and then check out the upcoming overlimit module, you'll change your mind.

Cheers,
Steven
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search