The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AES-NYC: Slate Digital Previews the VIRTUAL MIX RACK
Old 17th April 2014
  #961
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
You're dreaming! Resolution doesn't always mean "sounds better". I DARE you to invite a high profile artist or band and tell them you'd like to record them from your laptop...lol Seriously...how can you even say that.
When discussing audio resolution, we are NOT discussing whether something sounds subjectively better than something else. I have stated this before, others have stated this before. We are discussing fidelity i.e. how close it is to the actual source.
Old 17th April 2014
  #962
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicebitch View Post
When discussing audio resolution, we are NOT discussing whether something sounds subjectively better than something else. I have stated this before, others have stated this before. We are discussing fidelity i.e. how close it is to the actual source.
Well why wouldn't a better resolution equal closer to the original source? The better a source is "sampled" digitally, the closer it's going to be...digital has limitations.

Let's put it this way...would you say a 16bit CD sounds better than vinyl? For me it's a big HELL NO! A 192k 32bit float DAW session may sound sonically better than analog, however...it's gonna end up on CD anyway. So if you disagree, then there is nothing more I can say.
Old 17th April 2014
  #963
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX View Post
8 weeks, fair enough. Since VMR was announced, I wonder how many people didn't buy Schepp's EQ or the Softube compressors that are now on sale. I wonder if Slate feels the pressure of the standard and expectations he's set.

I know this is not the thread, but seeing as Fabrice is completely MIA online, has anyone heard of any update on AirEQ?
I got the Scheps, it's awesome! I am not comparing it to Slate's products because i love Slate too, however, the Scheps adds M/S mode which for stereo sources it's very valuable. Not sure if Slate is going to include some sort of M/S processing for the ENTIRE rack...OR even better, something similar to what Radial Engineering did with the 500 series Workhorse rack where you can route and pan signals from within the rack in any order you want..
Old 17th April 2014
  #964
Gear Addict
 

Don't mind if I get back on topic guys ?

This is what I wish the fitfh module would be ( or a futur module)
A line preamp input emulating all the vcc console line preamp with input and output trim, high and low pass filters, phase button with a phase ajustment knob and delay knob and VU meter. That would be great. Now try to fit that in a one space module
1
Share
Old 17th April 2014
  #965
Lives for gear
 
Mikey MTC's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
Let's put it this way...would you say a 16bit CD sounds better than vinyl? For me it's a big HELL NO! A 192k 32bit float DAW session may sound sonically better than analog, however...it's gonna end up on CD anyway. So if you disagree, then there is nothing more I can say.

Whoa! Again a whole bunch of ideas in one paragraph!

So you're saying vinyl sounds better than a 16 bit CD? So therefore it has more resolution? Is it more accurate? Or is just that all the heavy non-linearities that are imparted are much more pleasant to listen to?

But then you claim 192/32 might sound better than analog? Which analog? Tape or vinyl? And why would anyone ever want 32 bits as a delivery medium anyway? Even 24 bits is too much!
Old 17th April 2014
  #966
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 View Post
Don't mind if I get back on topic guys ?

This is what I wish the fitfh module would be ( or a futur module)
A line preamp input emulating all the vcc console line preamp with input and output trim, high and low pass filters, phase button with a phase ajustment knob and delay knob and VU meter. That would be great. Now try to fit that in a one space module
I wonder when Steven is gonna reveal the fifth module
1
Share
Old 17th April 2014
  #967
Music is all about writing, performing and recording great songs. Equipment for sure can improve the impact of a song but it's the least important part in the chain. Analogue vs. digital... yawn. SONGS! Performances! Great engineers! That's all that matter.
4
Share
Old 17th April 2014
  #968
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
Hey Steven, is there plans for a clean/surgical eq for the VMR as well?
Old 17th April 2014
  #969
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
I go the Scheps, it's awesome! I am not comparing it to Slate's products because i love Slate too, however, the Scheps adds M/S mode which for stereo sources it's very valuable. Not sure if Slate is going to include some sort of M/S processing for the ENTIRE rack...OR even better, something similar to what Radial Engineering did with the 500 series Workhorse rack where you can route and pan signals from within the rack in any order you want..
Got me the sheps because of the M/S mode. Really huge on drum overheads!!
Old 17th April 2014
  #970
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty_himself View Post
Got me the sheps because of the M/S mode. Really huge on drum overheads!!
Old 17th April 2014
  #971
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucks View Post
Music is all about writing, performing and recording great songs. Equipment for sure can improve the impact of a song but it's the least important part in the chain. Analogue vs. digital... yawn. SONGS! Performances! Great engineers! That's all that matter.
So a great song won't benefit from great equipment? A ****ty song with great equipment won't make it better. Bad equipment AND a bad song = disaster. So a great song matters, but I would HATE to use sub par equipment to capture that great song. EVERYTHING matters.
Old 17th April 2014
  #972
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 View Post
Don't mind if I get back on topic guys ?

This is what I wish the fitfh module would be ( or a futur module)
A line preamp input emulating all the vcc console line preamp with input and output trim, high and low pass filters, phase button with a phase ajustment knob and delay knob and VU meter. That would be great. Now try to fit that in a one space module
This actually isn't the topic of this thread either. But I am with you..what's Slate's 5th?..Beethoven had one..lol
Old 17th April 2014
  #973
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
Whoa! Again a whole bunch of ideas in one paragraph!

So you're saying vinyl sounds better than a 16 bit CD? Even 24 bits is too much!
YES, vinyl sound far better than a CD to me, and millions of others. CDs are simply a product of convenience and certainly not sound quality, or they'd be 24 bit 192k. Now, whether it's more true to the source...maybe, maybe not. Our ears are analog, not digital, we do not hear in digital..digital sounds sterile to me, if it weren't, the tons of plugin developers would not be trying to emulate the beauty and non-linearity of analog gear.

24 bits is too much? I am betting that the next incarnations of DAWs will have upwards of 32bits...so I doubt that 24 bits is too much, if it were, we woulda stopped at 16.
Old 17th April 2014
  #974
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
.

24 bits is too much? I am betting that the next incarnations of DAWs will have upwards of 32bits...so I doubt that 24 bits is too much, if it were, we woulda stopped at 16.
Yes, in terms of dynamic range. It's way more than gets used. And it's way, way more than tape.

I love the way analog sounds too. But you seem to be singing its praises in a confused way.
Old 17th April 2014
  #975
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Wow... where did all the flat-earthers come from on this thread
2
Share
Old 17th April 2014
  #976
Gear Head
 
fenixdoido's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
We are not talking about what sounds better. We are talking about what is more accurate.
Neither are more accurate than replacing the mic with your ear
Old 17th April 2014
  #977
Gear Head
 
fenixdoido's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
I wonder when Steven is gonna reveal the fifth module
At least 16 weeks from the release (or more)
1
Share
Old 17th April 2014
  #978
Gear Addict
 
NickNagurka's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
YES, vinyl sound far better than a CD to me, and millions of others. CDs are simply a product of convenience and certainly not sound quality, or they'd be 24 bit 192k. Now, whether it's more true to the source...maybe, maybe not. Our ears are analog, not digital, we do not hear in digital..digital sounds sterile to me, if it weren't, the tons of plugin developers would not be trying to emulate the beauty and non-linearity of analog gear.

24 bits is too much? I am betting that the next incarnations of DAWs will have upwards of 32bits...so I doubt that 24 bits is too much, if it were, we woulda stopped at 16.
You're forgetting DSD, which is the mother of all high resolution audio. And it's 1-bit, with a sampling rate of 2.8224 megahertz.

Resolution is not all about bit depth, and it would be foolish to think so.

With regards to your points about analog versus digital capture and playback...Fidelity = exactness, faithfulness to the original. Exactness is not defined by the exhibition of pleasing qualities.

Digital fidelity, though comparitively limited in resolution, eclipses analog fidelity. End of story.

Now, what were we talking about?
Old 17th April 2014
  #979
Slightly off topic: there is an "ignore this person" function on Gearslutz. Cleans this thread up in a magnificent way.
4
Share
Old 17th April 2014
  #980
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucks View Post
Slightly off topic: there is an "ignore this person" function on Gearslutz. Cleans this thread up in a magnificent way.
Great idea.
1
Share
Old 17th April 2014
  #981
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
YES, vinyl sound far better than a CD to me, and millions of others. CDs are simply a product of convenience and certainly not sound quality, or they'd be 24 bit 192k. Now, whether it's more true to the source...maybe, maybe not. Our ears are analog, not digital, we do not hear in digital..digital sounds sterile to me, if it weren't, the tons of plugin developers would not be trying to emulate the beauty and non-linearity of analog gear.

24 bits is too much? I am betting that the next incarnations of DAWs will have upwards of 32bits...so I doubt that 24 bits is too much, if it were, we woulda stopped at 16.
Once again, as others have succinctly pointed out, you confuse quality with aesthetics. If by sterile you mean linear, then yes, that is not news that Digital is linear. "Tons of plugins developers" are emulating the "beauty and non-linearity" of analog gear because we find pleasure in that character. It has nothing to do with fidelity. And what better way than by using a linear, flat platform to build upon, fabricate, and shape sound any which way we please than with the Digital platform. And when you need linearity, boom, digital has that recourse! Namely by using it for playback with no processing where and when we wish.
1
Share
Old 17th April 2014
  #982
Gear Head
I'd like to hear more about VMR, instead of pointless bickering about whether digital is better than analog.
3
Share
Old 18th April 2014
  #983
Lives for gear
 
scorpix74's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFX View Post
8 weeks, fair enough. Since VMR was announced, I wonder how many people didn't buy Schepp's EQ or the Softube compressors that are now on sale. I wonder if Slate feels the pressure of the standard and expectations he's set.

I know this is not the thread, but seeing as Fabrice is completely MIA online, has anyone heard of any update on AirEQ?
Aireq is wonderful.
1
Share
Old 18th April 2014
  #984
Gear Maniac
 

I want to clear the air about one thing. Everyone likes to attack the person that god forbid questions the accuracy of digital. I respect Slate, and I own VCC and VTM, and use them on every mix, and I will no doubt buy VMR as well when released...However, this whole debate started when Steven claimed the VMR is going to be 100% indistinguishably accurate emulations of their hardware counterparts...this 100% was questioned, and it spawned an entirely off topic debate...for which I apologize, as this was NOT my intention. So I am all for keeping this thread VMR related, and getting it back on track..again, for anyone who I have offended, I am sorry.
1
Share
Old 18th April 2014
  #985
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
I'll ask again since it's probably lost in all this...

Steven, will there be a clean/surgical eq in the VMR in the future?
2
Share
Old 18th April 2014
  #986
Lives for gear
 
jalcide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
I got the Scheps, it's awesome!...the Scheps adds M/S mode which for stereo sources it's very valuable.
Yes!

M/S would be really powerful inside a product like this that does EQ, compression and saturation.

I'm getting to the point where almost every track/channel needs M/S treatment, even if only slightly.

And it seems like my favorite M/S processors are getting neglected. I just had to revert a new DAW build from Windows 8.1 back to Windows 7 because about 6 must-have plugins wouldn't play nice in Windows 8.1 -- 3 of those were M/S tools.

I think part of GAS is about having redundancy when stuff happens. But as a GS, of course I'd say that.
Old 18th April 2014
  #987
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosphinx View Post
I want to clear the air about one thing. Everyone likes to attack the person that god forbid questions the accuracy of digital. I respect Slate, and I own VCC and VTM, and use them on every mix, and I will no doubt buy VMR as well when released...However, this whole debate started when Steven claimed the VMR is going to be 100% indistinguishably accurate emulations of their hardware counterparts...this 100% was questioned, and it spawned an entirely off topic debate...for which I apologize, as this was NOT my intention. So I am all for keeping this thread VMR related, and getting it back on track..again, for anyone who I have offended, I am sorry.

I certainly didn't find anything you posted "offensive". Not in the slightest.

There was just a lot of confusion of terms and I think we got to the bottom of it.
1
Share
Old 18th April 2014
  #988
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I certainly didn't find anything you posted "offensive". Not in the slightest.

There was just a lot of confusion of terms and I think we got to the bottom of it.
Old 18th April 2014
  #989
Lives for gear
 
kaboom75's Avatar
I hope VMR EQ are as good as the new T-Racks ones I had no idea what a channel strip EQ did to the sound so I tried the T-Racks 81 on a u-he Synth and really like the sound no idea what it's doing it's different to anything. I'm going to hold out for the VMR and hope it's as good and does that magic sound. I 've got a feeling it will be close to 2015 though.
1
Share
Old 19th April 2014
  #990
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom75 View Post
I hope VMR EQ are as good as the new T-Racks ones I had no idea what a channel strip EQ did to the sound so I tried the T-Racks 81 on a u-he Synth and really like the sound no idea what it's doing it's different to anything. I'm going to hold out for the VMR and hope it's as good and does that magic sound. I 've got a feeling it will be close to 2015 though.
I was tempted by these releases also - I wonder what the differences are between the 1073 in the VMR (apart from the dual mid band of course) and the IK one? I think the VMR would probably represent better value though as it will have 5 modules, 2 comps and 2 EQ's and something else...I hope the intro price is affordable - all the other Slate plugs have been $199 introductory price I think. I have the VCC, VTM, VBC, FGX and use the first 3 on every mix and I think the Slate brand does represent an uncompromising quality and attention to detail and to the customer so I think it's worth the wait even if you/I don't purchase, but just to be able to compare the differences when demoing the product. For one I am very grateful to Slate Digital as they have allowed me to create a more professional sound so I really don't understand the cynicism of some peeps!
1
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump